Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Been playing these games for a while, and it occurs to me a cool thing to put in a game would be an expanded guild tool.

What would be cool would be a greater integration with the in game guild interface and the traditional guild website.

* Expanded BBS features. Give people in guilds the ability to post topics and messages in a private in game forum. Obviously these would be limited to text only. Give guild leaders the ability to send MOTD type alerts to all members to check forums for information. But what a great place to store tactics or game information or have guild discussions, elections, voting on recruits, organizing events and just general community building things. This ingame BBS can be extended to alliances as well.

* Integrated DKP options. Having a DKP management tool in game would be boon that many guild leaders would weep tears of joy for. Give a command button that automatically takes attendance at whatever point, assigns kill points and lets offficers and leaders adjust points and weight as they see fit.
Loot dropped from mobs could be done by automatic bidding or just plain out bought with weight given to seniority in guild or lifetime dkp.

* Taxes. This is a great idea that WAR has. 10% of the cash you get per kill goes right to guild treasury automatically. Very cool to have as an option.

* Guild Heralds. Let guild buy an NPC when they get high enough rank. This NPC will sit in a major city, or outside a guild building and when people interact with him, he will give them front page with news and information from that guild that people in the guild wrote and designed. Kill shots, commentary, recruiting. Allow the ability to access screeen shots folder to put whatever picture they like on it (EULA still enforced). Additionally have a place on the main game website where all of these are stored and a person from another server can see the front pages from any guild.

Anyway, just some ideas.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Ngruk said:
Here is a link to the 2nd annual MGC, along with links and downloads for the first contest winners in case any of you FOH people are locals!
Go here!
Us local guys need a contest that allows us to to be unruly in the bars while picking up ladies. Or even an ice skating competition atFrog Pondwhile picking up ladies.

That is the only way any of us MA guys could win anything. =)

Lleauaric~EW said:
Guild Stuff
This along with some expanded upon EQ2 style guild workings, would be awesome. I never understood that games that have such a big focus on community and guilds, very few actually have really great tools for said guilds. Personally, I think the guild tools should be incredibly fleshed out while still having some kind of relevence to the game world.

Gnome Eater_foh

shitlord
Tyen said:
Ever run into those people that are extremely successful individuals but make the most fundamental mistakes? The "important" people that are never open-minded and take their opinions then place them higher than anyone else"s input?

I hate highly successful people who aren"t open minded. They ruin other people"s lives while being egotistical dumbshits.

Small rant right there.
This post reeks of jealousy.

Fog_foh

shitlord
Lleauaric~EW said:
* Expanded BBS features. Give people in guilds the ability to post topics and messages in a private in game forum. Obviously these would be limited to text only. Give guild leaders the ability to send MOTD type alerts to all members to check forums for information. But what a great place to store tactics or game information or have guild discussions, elections, voting on recruits, organizing events and just general community building things. This ingame BBS can be extended to alliances as well.

* Integrated DKP options. Having a DKP management tool in game would be boon that many guild leaders would weep tears of joy for. Give a command button that automatically takes attendance at whatever point, assigns kill points and lets offficers and leaders adjust points and weight as they see fit.
Loot dropped from mobs could be done by automatic bidding or just plain out bought with weight given to seniority in guild or lifetime dkp.
Why do you want to do these things? Games keep writing their own voice chat systems, and everyone uses Ventrilo or TS, since those programs are mature and inevitably better with more features. Games write their own mail systems and their own message posts, and if you actually want to get in touch with anyone, you"ll PM them on forums, instead, because forum software is better and accessible from anywhere. In the end, what you"ve got is mostly a big waste of development effort.

The exact same thing would happen if you created an in-game DKP/attendance tool.

EDIT: To be clear, what I object to is the reduplication of effort to create inferior tools. If you could wave a magic wand and instantly create a fantastic, well-integrated, bug-free, featureful set of management and communication tools like this in your game, then sure, that would be a nice addition to the game. Of course, a lot of people wouldstillnot end up using it, just because of community inertia toward using what they"ve always used.

Fog_foh

shitlord
ToeMissile said:
That doesn"t mean apps can"t be licensed and incorporated into the game.
That"s true, especially if they retain interoperability with the generic application; for example, if your in-game guild voice chat could be bound to an externally accessible Ventrilo channel on your server. However, that"s not the way things have gone in WoW or EVE (the games I have personal experience with.)

Ukerric_foh

shitlord
Fog said:
The exact same thing would happen if you created an in-game DKP/attendance tool.
It"s called Badges of Valor, and it works.
Of course, a lot of people wouldstillnot end up using it, just because of community inertia toward using what they"ve always used.
Most of the time, it"s because these tools did not exist when the game launched. To be honest, we"re using the WoW chat system, because simply with enough mac users (guilty), most of the Window-centric systems don"t work well. The Ventrilo server servers out-of-raid, as a replacement of green spam.

Fog_foh

shitlord
Ukerric said:
Most of the time, it"s because these tools did not exist when the game launched. To be honest, we"re using the WoW chat system, because simply with enough mac users (guilty), most of the Window-centric systems don"t work well. The Ventrilo server servers out-of-raid, as a replacement of green spam.
That"s true and it"s a good point. Perhaps a big game with polished voice tools or in-game guild scheduling/coordination tools from release would see those tools become really standard.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
It would be sweet if a game was released in which the big priority was the basic elements rather than the special features.

For example, AoC was working on sieges when their Z-axis allowed my necro to stand on a rock and kill anything in the game solo.

Quince_foh

shitlord
I would love an in game DKP type of system where as a guild leader you can assign any number of set points to everyone currently in the raid. Then if you want to do bidding allow a box to pop up and people can spend their points accordingly. You could make it totally optional, have it be blind bidding or not, make it officer approval, only have the box pop up to people who can use it etc. These games need to go back to what made the first ones really great and streamline everything.

It keeps coming up over and over but I would rather have a game company that takes past or existing ideas and fine tune them rather then they come up with brand new ideas and have them fall flat on their face or be extremely broken.

This could also apply to chat systems, basic classes, etc.

The vanilla or starting game doesn"t have to be huge, just ballenced and rock solid at start. The new and cool ideas should be reserved for the expansions.

Now some people may argue that you need all the new cool ideas at start to draw attention to your game but I feel the market has matured enough, and has even become jaded, that if you promote a rock solid start that in itself would be a great pushing point for your game.

Fog_foh

shitlord
Elerion said:
You can"t out-rock-solid WoW, though.
You really can. WoW wasn"t rock-solid when it launched by any standards; I don"t think we need to have a point-by-point argument here. It wasgreatby MMORPG standards, and OK by big-pieces-of-software standards, and it was solid enough to be fun. But it sure wasn"t rock-solid, and there"s plenty of room for someone to launch with more stuff, better.

I think the bigger question is how long it will be until the "more stuff, better" is enough to pry people away from WoW. I think WAR was objectively a better game when it launched than WoW was when it launched, but who cares about that now when WoW has 10 million people and 4 years of content and features?

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Warhammer killed themselves by releasing before WoW did. It was, simply put, the dumbest fucking thing they could have done. You can"t steal WoW"s thunder. All you can do is watch as your subscription base gets raped.