Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Quince_foh

shitlord
I personally hated the LS system because it never really felt like your guild mates were, hell guild mates. Some people would have 3-4 different LSs and would just swap around whenever they felt like it. It all came down to just going by your friends list and inviting for raids that way.

Some times you would be inviting to raid and your good BRD/WHM that was great was off leveling some worthless class like Dragoon and it would totally screw you over(this was back during vanilla FFXI so I have no idea how the Dragoon turned out so save your angry letters)

Fammaden_foh

shitlord
Not to derail into FFXI too much, but I had one LS that was a serious HNM contender and they definitely wouldn"t have approved of shit like that if you wanted to keep getting loot and spots on missions and shit. Nor could you just go pop the spawns with a rival HNM guild without figuring on having your pearl broken. Yet you were totally free to take the pearl off, swap to your friends" pearls, hop in dynamis alliances or AF gear for sub jobs focused pearls, etc. I guess how much a LS feels like a "real guild" that we are used to depends on how it is run though. Its not like you had no idea what that missing person was doing, that would be like your good healer in WoW off leveling an alt at raid time, except that being on an alt makes it much easier for him to actually hide it from you.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Faille said:
not like we"re going to get any real 38s info anytime soon.
I know, this thread is should be renamed to theNo Real Info but Please Remember 38s is Making a Game(and tell all your friends about it) thread. I"m feeling a little under the weather, my doctor thinks it might be something viral I picked up somewhere.

faille

Molten Core Raider
well, while I don"t like the lack of information, I do appreciate Moorguard and Nguk taking the time to chat about MMO"s in general. It"s good to see developers trying to stay in touch with their potential player base as well as the current trends and concerns in the industry.

Linus_foh

shitlord
What do you expect them to say that they haven"t already said? "We"re psyched about the game, we"re working our asses off, no, we can"t reveal any more specifics yet (because we"re probably still having massive after-many-beers-late-into-the-night discussions about them.)"

As long as when they get it to a place they"re comfortable with - they come show us stuff and maybe even respond to our thoughts and criticisms.

Zarcath

Silver Squire
Well it"s not like we"re a real news source or anything, any exclusive looks or info is going to places like gamespot, ign and 1up. You know, people that can actually make them money.

Quince_foh

shitlord
True but at those sites are you gonna be able to jump in the forum and give and take with the dervs themselves.

I am curious if they are going to have their own "official Forums" over at 38 or just use fan sites like these to post etc.

I"m sure they"ll have Beta forums and game forums just like any other MMO. Prior to that I think there"s little point. Let the communities discuss it, and have your future community managers follow those sites and respond. It"s the best way to keep getting exposure; obviously, once someone is at your site they know about your game.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Yes we"ll have forums and communities once the timing is right.

This thread really did start when the company started for the most part. I enjoy talking theories, concepts and gaming in these forums when it doesn"t get personal and petty.

As with many things the plan tends to go to poop the minute you put it in play. I wanted to talk all about Copernicus, 2 years ago Thankfully Danuser has been one of the guys on my shoulder (devil or angel??) that"s made me realize that"s just not smart. I"ve likely said MUCH more than he"d want me to, but far less than I"d have liked.

I enjoy the give and take here when it doesn"t drag others through the mud as well as talking about what it"s like, been like, and going to be like, building a software development/entertainment company, from scratch, with my own money. Now throw in this economy and the stories get even more "interesting".

It"s certainly been a wild ride so far and to think we just barely reached the halfway point and I can assure you that it"s so much more than I ever dreamed "making a game" would be, or building a company.

Well, I hope more of you have been playing WotLK than not. Regardless of whether you intend to approach WoW"s numbers (I"m sure you"re more realistic than that; WoW is a phenomenon at this point), you should be seeing the sort of bar they"re setting. Despite all of the complaints, they have managed to evolve the genre once again with this expansion, and every time they do that the "next guys" have that much more of a challenge on their hands just to look like a reasonable alternative.

At this point I don"t think you could release a game with a serious overworld PvE game that didn"t have phasing and not have people consider it a big step backwards. So now you"ve not only got to think about whether you want to copy that approach, but get people on your team used to thinking in those terms when designing content if you do copy it (which you should). That is, of course, just one example.

Zarcath

Silver Squire
Dailies and Badge vendors are the wave of the future. Any MMO without a daily logon incentive is asking for trouble.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Zarcath said:
Dailies and Badge vendors are the wave of the future. Any MMO without a daily logon incentive is asking for trouble.
AA"s ftw!!

NGruk, you guys working on a making of documentary at all?

Greyform_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Yes we"ll have forums and communities once the timing is right.

This thread really did start when the company started for the most part. I enjoy talking theories, concepts and gaming in these forums when it doesn"t get personal and petty.

As with many things the plan tends to go to poop the minute you put it in play. I wanted to talk all about Copernicus, 2 years ago Thankfully Danuser has been one of the guys on my shoulder (devil or angel??) that"s made me realize that"s just not smart. I"ve likely said MUCH more than he"d want me to, but far less than I"d have liked.

I enjoy the give and take here when it doesn"t drag others through the mud as well as talking about what it"s like, been like, and going to be like, building a software development/entertainment company, from scratch, with my own money. Now throw in this economy and the stories get even more "interesting".

It"s certainly been a wild ride so far and to think we just barely reached the halfway point and I can assure you that it"s so much more than I ever dreamed "making a game" would be, or building a company.

The one thing we can all agree on here Curt, is we know you"re not in this for the money and certainly not for the fame. You"re pretty much living the dream many of us have. Having the money to make your own game.

I hope you"re able to put out the game you envision. But make use of some of the advice you receive right here. And for your own sake, get some real players in your game to and listen to them when they point out what"s wrong before you release.

If I could give you any advice myself it would be: Don"t release a game and then try to race your players to the end before they relize it"s not finished.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Faille said:
AA"s ftw!!

NGruk, you guys working on a making of documentary at all?
Have footage from "pre-day 1", so yes.
As to phasing, couldn"t agree more. It"s an awesome concept I am proud to say we talked about over a year and a half ago. It makes way too much sense, is way too fun, and is so young right now that it gets exciting thinking about it"s potential.
Agreed on WOTLK, so much done great. Pardo and that design team continue to be rock stars and folks to pay attention to.

Fammaden said:
Phasing seems like a concept in its infancy that could be done to much greater effect than how it is in WotLK right now.
Oh I agree. I don"t know at what point they got the phasing technology implemented...I think it"s an interesting question to ask. It"s a feature that seemed to be nonexistent for the first...I don"t know, 75% of the quest content in Wrath, and then suddenly you start seeing it put to epic use. I"m waiting to see what we"ll see in Ulduar...not only inside of the zone but outside of it. If no phasing is implemented in the overworld as a result of raid progress I will be fairly disappointed. Unfortunately we won"t see another expansion worth of quest content until 2015, so watching the results of the team building an expansion from the ground up with phasing already baked-in will be interesting if far-off experience.

And Curt, I don"t think Pardo worked on this one. Foror and Tigule made beautiful icecream together, along with some others of lesser celebrity status "round these parts.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
FoghornDeadhorn said:
Oh I agree. I don"t know at what point they got the phasing technology implemented...I think it"s an interesting question to ask. It"s a feature that seemed to be nonexistent for the first...I don"t know, 75% of the quest content in Wrath, and then suddenly you start seeing it put to epic use. I"m waiting to see what we"ll see in Ulduar...not only inside of the zone but outside of it. If no phasing is implemented in the overworld as a result of raid progress I will be fairly disappointed. Unfortunately we won"t see another expansion worth of quest content until 2015, so watching the results of the team building an expansion from the ground up with phasing already baked-in will be interesting if far-off experience.

And Curt, I don"t think Pardo worked on this one. Foror and Tigule made beautiful icecream together, along with some others of lesser celebrity status "round these parts.
Oh I"d argue that Pardo is "involved" in every single bit that is WOW, given how they work.
It really is a fascinating group of very VERY passionate people when it comes to their IP.
I chuckle at the "recommendations" people try to give here, given that the studio is a rabid group of gamers with everything from hard core min maxxing top tier raiders in a guild, to the casual crafters.
We play it all, we look INTO it all and we talk very often about what"s out there, what is really working, and what players appear to be liking and not liking.

Ngruk said:
Oh I"d argue that Pardo is "involved" in every single bit that is WOW, given how they work.
It really is a fascinating group of very VERY passionate people when it comes to their IP.
I chuckle at the "recommendations" people try to give here, given that the studio is a rabid group of gamers with everything from hard core min maxxing top tier raiders in a guild, to the casual crafters.
We play it all, we look INTO it all and we talk very often about what"s out there, what is really working, and what players appear to be liking and not liking.
Well, Blizzard chuckles at it too I think, considering the fact that, in the midst of all the terrible recommendations that are given here, real solutions which are never implemented are suggested. I may not know as much about the devs currently working on WoW as some of the industry insiders, but I know for a fact that not everyone pulling the leversreallyknows what they"re doing. That"s been proven time and time again.

And yes. I am saying I"d do a better job than some of them. No amount of "you"ve never seen behind the wizard"s curtain" BS can explain away blatantly wrong decisions which take 6-18 months to backpedal from.