Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Fog_foh

shitlord
Cadrid said:
If a game is made with these kinds of events in mind then the icons will be displayed in a manner that makes visibility of debuffs prevalent and convenient. It would simply take some effort by the player to keep an eye on what is going on around them.

To give a more specific example, if the default WoW UI had separated debuffs and buffs into different groupings, being "the bomb" wouldn"t require (at least not as much) a mod to tell you so. Icon design, sizing based on danger factor, and visual clues would help replace the overt "GTFO!" message of some mods.
I agree with this, but what is the practical difference between having visible, obvious, and perhaps customizable debuff notifications - and having something go "ding! you have a debuff!" in the middle of your screen? The fight is equally easy or difficult either way. (And if it"s not, then someone will probably mod it to display the easier way.)

Designing encounters that are based around more complex mechanics than "get a debuff, run away" is the other answer, but it"s difficult to churn out a sufficient number of clever fights like that.

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
Northerner said:
As a developer though, you"d be foolish to ignore a massive free coder base that is willing to spend hundreds and thousands of hours polishing the UI. People like making mods and hell, it would cost you a hell of a lot to get results not nearly as good in the end. So open it up a bit and let them come up with what they can. If it proves to be too potent (decursive perhaps?) then you can disable specific functionality at a later time. Huh, I never thought I"d hold WoW up as a model for how to implement UI policies but in retrospect, most of it has worked out reasonably well.
Now that you bring it up, I think having a stage of Beta testing dedicated to the modding community might be in order, somewhere between a Closed Beta for bugs and Open Beta for server stress-testing. Enough time and resources should be given to a reputable community of modders so that they can push the bounds of the tools available for public consumption and then the developer can preemptively decide where to draw the line. This way people can have the freedom to view the UI in a comfortable way without game-breaking/encounter-nullifying mods being given to the public and force either a revision of development strategies, or a tightening of UI restrictions.

(EDIT) Fog:I guess the explanation lies a bit in the "oldschool" mentality I played MMOs with; don"t baby the players, make themlearnwhat is happening and how to act. Yes, having cues about what is going on issimilarto an audible/legible instruction, but it"s not the same. If you"re dedicating yourself to the fight then you will notice a variation in the norm, whereas waiting to hear "DING!" while watching TV seems to be more in the realm of botting; all you"re doing is following pre-rendered instructions.

Traldan_foh

shitlord
But remember, if you"re aiming high, you have to be appealing to everyone...and in some cases, this may mean a large amount of UI-modding freedom. Vanguard tried to go the "looks-only" route, and people still clamored for more functionality and mods - the "I want it like WoW" problem.

However, Vanguard"s UI modding community developed very nicely, with one or two Sigil employees interfacing well with the community and the ui developers...at least for the first few monthes of the game and the last few monthes of open beta. After that, things sorta went downhill.

Zhakran_foh

shitlord
The whole concept of "I want it like WoW" is only because just about every fucking game out today copies SO MUCH from WoW, that when certain parts of it(i.e., the User Interface) are *not* like WoW, people bitch to high heavens, and with good reason, since most of the game"s mechanics would benefit greatly from similair mods that you seen in WoW.

That"s the whole damned problem right there, is NO ONE can even make a game that doesn"t in some moderate or large fashion try to be "WoW: Our Edition".

Hell, even Vanguard, which was supposed to be all old-school EQ has much, much, much more in common with WoW than it does with original EQ. LOTRO is another great example, it"s basically a WoW ripoff with really nice graphics. It had some good decisions and some really bad ones, but in the end it tries to be a good little WoW clone, and falls short because it"s not WoW.

I even played EQ2 recently, tried it out, and no it"s not as much of a WoW clone as LOTRO and Vanguard are(impossible, since it came out before WoW), but it reeks of having borrowed much in the way of gameplay from the MMO Champion.

If you designed a game such that you WOULD NOT WANT OR NEED the mods that people are accustomed to in Warcraft, then, amazingly, people wouldn"t bitch about things not being just like WoW. If your game presents things in an original and different way, and doesn"t have the exact same or similiar pacing to WoW, then you can stop worrying so much about "falling short of how WoW did this."
(this all of course assumes the game is...fun)

If you however design a WoW Version 7.83x with very similiar combat pacing, abilities, mob difficulty, advancement paths, grouping mechanics, health bar presentation, debuff durations and effect, etc, etc then guess what, people are certainly going to expect it to have all the customization, and all the headaches associated with it, that World of Warcraft does.

I really just hope that whatever type of game GMG makes, even if it sucks to high heaven, they really do something DIFFERENT, no no no, *actually* different from WoW, and think outside the box. If I see another upcoming MMO screenshot with the little player icon with a class icon and level number and a green lifebar in the upper lefthand corner, and a "Blizzard-inspired" list of little ability icons across the bottom of the screen, I am just going to hurl.

Traldan_foh

shitlord
I agree with you, to a point, Zhakran. But these base UI concepts - a hotbar with abilities, a player health bar, etc...they"re obviously not WoW creations...WoW was not the first to do them. WoW just had a certain specific layout that seemingly every game since has been eerily similar to. Which makes sense. If you want YOUR game to appeal, you make the base functionality similar...if the user has less trouble interacting with the game, then ideally they will spend more time focused on the actual content.

That"s not to say I think that the 38 game should be another with the WoW-style UI. Personally, I loved the way the EQ2 UI behaved. I liked the modularity of it, the ability to resize any window, the right-click menus, all of it. It felt responsive when you used it (unlike the VG UI). I like that the default UI had very few frills, just simple functionality. Yes, it had its quirks and there were things that UI mods did better (smaller hotbars, a stars bar, etc), but in general, the UI was much more ideal as a default than the VG UI or the WoW UI.

My point is, using what"s been done before and done well is NOT a bad thing. I just feel that these new games coming out need to be more selective and careful about what points they choose to emulate, and from where. If WoW does something REALLY well, then hell yes, use that as an inspiration or a guide. But if you can improve something,do it

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Ok, this is a civil and intelligent discussion, enough already!
Seriously, nice feedback and some relevant points, much appreciated.
Basically your UI needs to be what YOU want it to be. A UI that is player specific but not player built would be the ultimate goal.

Sunnyd_foh

shitlord
In all honesty I cant help but feel that WoW has induced a need in most people to play with mods.
They see other peoples UI screen shots and feel they should be using those mods as well. I know I did at times, as did people in my guild.

Granted I don"t raid any more in WoW, nor have I raided in EQ2, but the difference in player made mods I use between the two games is astonishing.
In EQ2 I use 1 mod, the EA2 map mod.
In WoW I use 40+. Granted, most of the mods wouldnt be needed if the defult UI was a bit more flexible. Let me move my hotbars around. Let me set the number of hotbars I see. Let me move around my buff/debuff bars. Let me move the portraits/bars of me, my group and the target etc.

Im not saying that EQ2 has the best default UI around, but certainly take a note from its books on the level of player customisation out of the box.

Gaereth_foh

shitlord
The thing with the bomb, curses, etc,etc, etc....is that they are on your character. You should easily know something is bad happening to you, you shouldn"t have to look for little clues that your going to explode. The basic UI should have options that allow you to notify YOURSELF that you have something bad on you.

Basically, a lot of the UI mods allow notifications and info to be presented in a way that doesn"t make you stare at a certain spot incessantly until something does happen. It frees the character to play the game rather than playing the UI.

Thats actually a good point to hold.....when the players have to play the UI like a cool version of whack-a-mole rather than watching what is going on around them you need to change stuff.

Traldan_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Ok, this is a civil and intelligent discussion, enough already!
Seriously, nice feedback and some relevant points, much appreciated.
Basically your UI needs to be what YOU want it to be. A UI that is player specific but not player built would be the ultimate goal.
That"s what I"m getting at, yes. The UI should have a high degree of out-of-the-box modularity and ability to be customized - resizing windows, moving them, hiding or showing them, etc. Such as EQ2 hotbars, in which you could resize them to any combination that totaled 12 (or even remove some from screen)...made it much easier to set up an ideal number and layout of hotbars.

If the player can set things up as desired without going for lots of extravagent UI mods, then they won"t. EQ2"s level of modification was ideal in my opinion - there were a nice variety of looks and layouts, but they all preserved the same central feel (in general).

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Gaereth said:
The thing with the bomb, curses, etc,etc, etc....is that they are on your character. You should easily know something is bad happening to you, you shouldn"t have to look for little clues that your going to explode. The basic UI should have options that allow you to notify YOURSELF that you have something bad on you.
I see your point, but seriously...the buff bar wasnt enough? I"ll concede a mod that makes the bar bigger but flashing text is a bit much, at least for my tastes.

Anyway, I am old school. I like eq/eq2 style interface. The game decides what you can and cannot do(IE no scripting), but you can make it look however you want. UI...user interface. It should be just the appearance. and I should be able to make it look like anything in the world I want. To me, that"s UI. All of the other stuff, the "modding" is really scripting. I have no particular beef with it, but I would prefer it not be there. Because then, as many said...you have the script or you dont.

And I don"t follow WoW much anymore so not sure if this is still the case but there were scripts to immediately use trinkets/abilities to break fear the second its up, or counter spells...that makes the other player CPU like fast and better. I hope WoW no longer allows that because PvP or in PvE it creates a huge gap between those who use and those who don"t.

Fog_foh

shitlord
rangoth said:
I see your point, but seriously...the buff bar wasnt enough? I"ll concede a mod that makes the bar bigger but flashing text is a bit much, at least for my tastes...The game decides what you can and cannot do(IE no scripting), but you can make it look however you want. UI...user interface. It should be just the appearance. and I should be able to make it look like anything in the world I want.
See, I don"t quite see how you reconcile those two statements, still.

Here"s a hierarchy of "less obvious" to "more obvious" notifications. Where do you think the line should be drawn and you should say "nope, you can"t customize the UI to show it likethis?"

1) There is no UI notification of the important bomb debuff. You only see it through the graphical effect on your character.

2) The bomb debuff shows up as another buff in the middle of a small, crowded buff bar with many other items. (This is the default WoW UI.)

3) A player mods it so the bomb debuff shows up on a separate debuff bar with other time-limited debuffs, which might be more interesting to the player than 30-minute buffs or meaningless debuffs.

4) A player mods it so that the bomb debuff in particular shows up in a separate part of the screen from the other debuffs so he can see it appear very easily.

5) A player moves the bomb debuff to a separate part of the screen and makes the debuff icon larger or highlights it so that he notices it even if he"s distracted.

6) A player moves the debuff icon and scripts it to make a notification sound when the bomb debuff appears.

7) A player scripts a sound to go off and makes the bomb debuff notification appear in the center of the screen in big text so it"s basically impossible to overlook. (This is the CTRaid functionality.)

Where from 1-7 did we go astray? #1 is a nice, minimalist answer, but it"s impractical because not everyone can turn fancy effects on in the middle of a 20- or 40-man boss fight and get playable FPS. I think almost everyone would agree that at least up to #3 or #4 are great features for a customizable UI. #s 5, 6, and 7 seem to be simple extensions of the theme, taking advantage of a more modifiable UI to make the bomb debuff extremely visible to the player, which is good design - since it"s by far the most important thing for the player to concentrate on, he would really be doing himself a disservice if he didn"t do his best job to make it obvious.

And I don"t follow WoW much anymore so not sure if this is still the case but there were scripts to immediately use trinkets/abilities to break fear the second its up, or counter spells...that makes the other player CPU like fast and better. I hope WoW no longer allows that because PvP or in PvE it creates a huge gap between those who use and those who don"t.
To be fair to Blizzard, that wasn"t intentional. IIRC the ability to script pseudo-"reactive" abilities came about mostly through people binding "spam" buttons or their movement keys to complicated scripted macros which decided what to do based on some kind of state check. I don"t know if they have eliminated it yet, but it wasn"t part of the plan. I think we can mostly agree that this sort of modding is not a good idea in most MMORPGs though; it changes the game very much by adding a large element of programming skill and strategy-in-advance instead of player judgement.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fog said:
As I said, I got no major problem with the flashing text in the center of the screen. It"s not my preference, and I do believe it is a bit much, but I get it.

What I tried to say my problem was with, and I may have failed, is with the scripting(as I will define below).

Script where if you get fear a script auto fires your anti-fear shit in less than fractions of a second. A script where player decision is taken out of the equation(I read about an old WoW warrior script where you can just hit one button and it will do the most effective move/taunt for the situation and it takes into account rage, mob health etc).

I dont like shit that alters anything behind the scenes...and let"s call scenes the UI windows/natural viewing screen. Big text in the center saying you are the bomb, fine. Again not my thing but it doesn"t change the game. It just relocates the view. Decursive = bullshit, again at least in my opinion. It will cycle through all members of a group and raid and remove everything that is harming them in less than seconds, as fast as cooldown and your finger can go. Now don"t take that one example as my sole defining proof. I realize that much of the problem was stupid mob debuffs to begin with, and whatever. Its just an example.

In my perfect UI, that I tried to describe above, flashing text would be ok, cause its only telling you something another piece of the UI could. It is really an invisible window in the center of the screen that the player can send text to.

EDIT: After reading your edit Fog that is exactly what my major beef is with. The scripting and intelligent macros. I have no problems with anything at all that just alters how information is displayed.

AndersJ_foh

shitlord
Long time lurker, just had to get around to registering an account and pipe in on this dicussion.

I have never been a big mod guy or add on player, until WoW. I don"t use cheats but Titan panel and the Loc mod, gatherer, and some others, I find immensely useful. The mod that gives vendor values on drops is one I find incredibly useful the minute I am on a machine I don"t have it installed in.

I guess my question is whether or not the games should provide this or allow players to provide it? Players will always mod, that"s a cool thing, some of the UI stuff players come up with is pretty incredible and from what I have seen a lot of players have used that path to get a job in the industry. The more I see how the mods work the more things I see and think the publisher should have included in the game. Now that treads into the arena of development priorities and feature creep. The cost vs reward aspect of development is something we drill very deep into with everything we are doing now, and will continue to do in the future.
My opinion on this is rather two-fold. If we use World of Warcraft as an example, I can point to several mods that were actually incorporated into the base User Interface by Blizzard (enemy cast bar, raid target icons, etc...). So in that sense, there does need to be a base level of information or services that the User Interface should provide. I"m not going to go into some stuff like Grid or the various mods that tweak how something looks, that"s more of a preference factor, but I do want to go into some functionality.

Some basic functionality that I think publishers should put into the User Interface are:

* Maps. I love how you talk about Titan Panel and the coordinate mods. What I don"t get is why coordinates can"t be something already put into WoW. They don"t need more than just zone coords since all of the zones are clearly described and layed out. Gatherer is another one... in my eyes, it makes perfect sense for someone who is a miner or herbalist to mark spots on their maps to where they previously found materials in both RL and "in-character", so why do companies not provide this sort of functionality on their maps? Make it some sort of toggle, so if maps get clogged up by node markings, players can toggle off certain nodes, or certain materials. This would be a huge boost to enjoying a game.

* Chat. I loved Prat. This mod provided a multitude of options above and beyond what was offered by the Blizzard default UI. Some of the features I found in Prat that I believe should be put into future interfaces are: being able to copy a URL straight out of a line of chat by clicking on it, and coloring player names based on the class they played. In addition to those, provided an option of removing the scroll bar and being able to use your scrolly wheel on your mouse, which I prefer.

* Voice Chat. I think some sort of basic voice chat functionality is a good thing to include in a game, but I wouldn"t say it"s a deal-breaker for me. Having grown so dependant on Ventrilo for communicating with party members and raid members has made me hate typing out instructions for people in PuGs. Hell, it got to the point that before I stopped playing WoW I wouldn"t group with anyone who wasn"t willing to hop on vent and listen to what the group leader had to say.

* I found LotR"s system of letting people type their character background or whatnot into the UI to be a rather refreshing take from people having to download specific mods to be able to do such things in World of Warcraft.

As far as what players should provide, to me modding an Interface is more about looks than anything else. Sure, there are other mods I find useful but don"t expect a developer to provide (namely stuff like Auctioneer or KLH Threat Meter), but overall people should be able to tweak interfaces for their own tastes. I loved changing my UI after each patch, sometimes you just get tired of the default interface and want something different.

UI is just one area of this and imo is almost it"s own topic, apart from the other mods out there, but some of the other mods work for me on a lot of levels and I wonder how many others are really into the mod scene. I can remember the EQ days where I"d see screen shots and wonder what the hell the game was I was looking at, because the mobs and PCs looked like EQ stuff, but that was it. It"s a game I was late to the party for sure, but it"s a pretty significant market now and I am curious what you guys think.
I was a pretty big WoW mod junkie. I"ve used about fifteen or sixteen UI compilations found on the internet, and tried tweaking them all. Back when Discord was the "big thing" I tinkered with that for a while too. I think because of WoW, more and more people are going to be going into the mindset of UI modifications for future games, but not necessarily for utility mods, I think more and more people enjoy being able to have something different from the default UI and make any screen shots they take look different.

3-4 years from now we will be looking at some vastly different stuff, but I am one of the people that believes no matter how different the experts think this space is going to be, it"s still going to be centered on games, great games. Change the revenue streams, change the access to the product, change the markets, change it all, but at the end of the day the game will still be the key piece to all the changes that are going to happen.
I agree with you, but I"m still going to add that I think that even though a lot will change in three years, there will be a lot of basic fundamentals that are going to be necessary in order to have that solid game. Looking at WoW, I absolutely detest their guild interface. Yeah, they are finally getting around to guild banks, but that"s something that should be in at launch. Basic functionality like that, or like a solid party and raid interface (*coughVanguardcough*) are things that will remain constant over the years I believe.

To address a few points after Curt"s post:

Finally, and this is more of a personal complaint, make a robust and intelligent logging system. Granted, game data logging can be used to facilitate macros and bots. However, I"m of the opinion that if someone was going to create a bot or macro for the game, they"d go the far more efficient and precise route and just use memory and packet hacks. When developers cripple logging I believe they hurt more legitimate users than they stop nefarious ones.
I agree with this 100%. And as far as macros or botters go, more legitimate players are going to do their part to try and notify the developers about botters than not. I think a lot of people want to play these games to legitimately compete with other players and to hinder that because of the bad apples really sucks.

The problem is, any information that is important enough that it affects the user"s experience in a significant way - like aggro mechanics, mob loot tables and locations - will be found empirically if your game becomes popular. WoW doesn"t make aggro mechanics or mob loot tables available through the UI or scripting in any way, and as far as I know there has never been any documentation available as to how aggro (for example) works. However, players are able to experiment and record enough data to have an encyclopedic understanding of it nowadays.

Also, I find some of your mandatory information odd. Why should players get exact numbers for mob HP or EXP gain, but not aggro? I haven"t played WoW post-TBC, but in 1.X you couldn"t get exact numbers for mob HP remaining, just percentages, and things were OK. What about mob stats and abilities? (Some MMOs give that, some don"t.) It seems to me that where you draw the line is mostly just tradition and convention.
As far as the aggro mechanics in WoW go, I believe most have come from trial & error type formula creation. Whether or not the numbers are 100% accurate in any threat mods are irrelevant, they just need to be close enough in order for the mod to have any sort of efficiency. Speaking in reference to loot tables and mob locations, I don"t see where that"s an issue when looking at websites like Thottbot or Wowhead. Do I necessarily agree with mods like AtlasLoot where each dungeon map in game will detail every good boss drop? Absolutely not, I think that"s a pinnacle of laziness reached only in WoW. I mean, FFS, it only takes three seconds to type a name into a search engine on one of those database sites to pull up the information.

I guess I"m a bit more old fashioned, and would rather see the quality database sites get some traffic (although with all of them going under the psuedo-IGE banner, maybe mods that have loot tables built in are better after all :p).

Mob Health data is borderline to me. I think it should be in-game, but it should be something that"s earned. For example, you are Rick the Ranger and you run up on your first Rabid Rabbit. Okay, you kill it. Now if Rick kills 50 more Rabid Rabbits, hey, maybe he gained some knowledge about the mob. Maybe he knows how strong it is, or what abilities it has, so on and so forth. To me, mechanics like that would add to a game more so than they would detract from it.

Now, as far as:

D) To balance raid encounters to be difficult but achievable, you need to assume that the players doing them are fairly skilled and able to fulfill their roles near the best of their ability.
Blizzard was balancing pre-2.0 raid content based on one mod and one mod alone, Decursive. This is not what raid content should be about, but at the same time it"s Blizzards fault for having that shit go on for so long, and for balancing the encounters around it. Thankfully TBC content that I"ve done is a bit better tuned around player skill and knowledge rather than the skill of your Paladins spamming one button on their keyboard for four hours a night.

But remember, if you"re aiming high, you have to be appealing to everyone...and in some cases, this may mean a large amount of UI-modding freedom. Vanguard tried to go the "looks-only" route, and people still clamored for more functionality and mods - the "I want it like WoW" problem.

However, Vanguard"s UI modding community developed very nicely, with one or two Sigil employees interfacing well with the community and the ui developers...at least for the first few monthes of the game and the last few monthes of open beta. After that, things sorta went downhill.
I disagree re: Vanguard. I found the Vanguard UI to be one of the worst UI out of most of the recent MMOGs, which is pretty insane considering the budget. That game almost HAD to have mods to make the default UI somewhat usable, and lets not forget lack of raid frames.

Personally, I loved the way the EQ2 UI behaved. I liked the modularity of it, the ability to resize any window, the right-click menus, all of it. It felt responsive when you used it (unlike the VG UI). I like that the default UI had very few frills, just simple functionality.
I do agree with you here Traldan, the EQ2 UI was pretty good.

Anywho, just my thoughts and such on the matter.

Traldan_foh

shitlord
What I meant about the Vanguard UI is that they chose to limit UI mod functionality, rather than the WoW route. While I support the idea, the base UI needs to be simple, functional, and fully usable without any UI"s for that scenario to work properly. Vanguard"s was not. The UI mods were a near necessity for the game to be any sort of playable.

My point is that Vanguard had the right idea, with limiting UI mods to being purely visual, but failed to successfully implement a good starting point.

So we agree on both points, actually.

AndersJ_foh

shitlord
Traldan said:
What I meant about the Vanguard UI is that they chose to limit UI mod functionality, rather than the WoW route. While I support the idea, the base UI needs to be simple, functional, and fully usable without any UI"s for that scenario to work properly. Vanguard"s was not. The UI mods were a near necessity for the game to be any sort of playable.

My point is that Vanguard had the right idea, with limiting UI mods to being purely visual, but failed to successfully implement a good starting point.

So we agree on both points, actually.
Ah yes, quite true, quite true. Yeah, no game should ever permit mods like Decursive again. I admit I used it when playing a Holy Priest back in the day, but that"s because you almost -had- to. I don"t mind the macro functions WoW has now where you can press a button to heal the character you are mousing over and such. IMO that is perfect functionality provided by the UI/Macro system.

Lonin_foh

shitlord
I disagree with the visual-only modification route. I think it really stifles the community and makes for boring mods that just add a fancy piece of scrollwork or a new window position. Obviously though, the ultra-powerful in-game scripting engine style of modding can get bad too with stuff like Decursive.

This is where I think the developers need to spend their time, creating a well thought out barrier between what information and modification is acceptable and what is not. Once they find the line, make a wall on it, and you"re good to go.

Traldan_foh

shitlord
I"d agree with you there, Woad, although like I said, I"d prefer the EQ2 route than the WoW route any day. A happy compromise between the two would be interesting, for sure.

Plorkyeran_foh

shitlord
rangoth said:
As I said, I got no major problem with the flashing text in the center of the screen. It"s not my preference, and I do believe it is a bit much, but I get it.

What I tried to say my problem was with, and I may have failed, is with the scripting(as I will define below)...
That stuff is all quite thoroughly broken now. While in combat, the closest a mod can come to choosing a target for a spell or what spell to cast is doing something different based on whether your target is hostile or friendly. Auto fear-breaking was killed a while ago, and TBC killed Decursive/etc.

Gaereth_foh

shitlord
Aye....they removed anything that will select targets for you to do anything automatically. You can have macros that have choices on them...which basically become an if/then button. But in reality those are generally used simply to reduce barspace.