Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

I"ll 4th the Carebear statement! I wholeheartedly admit that I have turned into much more of a Carebear than a Corebear, primarily because of time and now because of a wife. Ah to be 13 again, like Teljair, Draegan, and Lonin.

Blackguard said:
I"ll 4th the Carebear statement! I wholeheartedly admit that I have turned into much more of a Carebear than a Corebear, primarily because of time and now because of a wife. Ah to be 13 again, like Teljair, Draegan, and Lonin.
Sounds like you are pussy-whipped. You need to whip that pussy!

Kendricke_foh

shitlord
Moorgard Mobhunter said:
QFE.

Wasting good material now is only going to make you regret it later when you canreallylay it on me.
Whaddya mean, Steve? No one ever does that.

Seriously, do you still get to hear about Frogloks and Caravans? Has Rihk sent you guys an email yet to gripe about ARAC yet?

Teljair_foh

shitlord
Blackguard said:
Haha.

Lonin_foh

shitlord
Blackguard said:
Poopyhead!

Froofy-D_foh

shitlord
karuden said:
Because if you had a clue about 3D you would realize that we DON"T play 3D games. They are actually 2D as far as depth perception is concerned.

Binocular vision which I mentioned is what gives depth perception. When both eyes see the same thing at the exact same distance on a flat plane, there is no actual depth perception of anything within that picture that can give a visual clue as to distance from the viewer since everything within the field of view is actually the same distance away from you.

If that totally confuses you then I suggest you do a bit of reading on the subject and get some education. Just because you can "run off into the distance" in a game DOES NOT MAKE IT 3D!! as far as your brain is concerned when trying to judge distance.

Tell you what, drive around in your car all day with one eye covered and see what happens (hope your insurance is paid up) better yet try it on a motorcycle or bicycle. That is the same effect as looking at a monitor and trying to judge distance.
Since you cannot perceive depth in artificial 3D environments:

- how do people throw grenades through windows in CS?
- how do people land grenade launcher rounds on you from 300 yards away in Americas Army?
- how do people place rockets at your feet from 200 feet away in Unreal and Quake

Oh right, it"s because you can perceive depth in artificial 3D. Also, I just walked to the refrigerator with 1 eye covered and I never bumped into anything. So where did you "learn" this stuff dude?

karuden_foh

shitlord
Froofy-D said:
Since you cannot perceive depth in artificial 3D environments:

- how do people throw grenades through windows in CS?
- how do people land grenade launcher rounds on you from 300 yards away in Americas Army?
- how do people place rockets at your feet from 200 feet away in Unreal and Quake

Oh right, it"s because you can perceive depth in artificial 3D. Also, I just walked to the refrigerator with 1 eye covered and I never bumped into anything. So where did you "learn" this stuff dude?
Not going to waste the electrons trying to explain facts to morons. Just chew on this ....3D means X, Y, Z axis. Just what is the depth of the 2D pixelated image on the screen in front of you? Oh that is right it has no depth from front to back of the image, hence IT IS NOT 3D!!!

You can NOT perceive depth from one monocular vantage point. If you don"t understand the concept then I suggest you do some learning and less mouthing off.

Casti_foh

shitlord
To perceive depth and to judge distances based on experience and points of reference, is two different things though.

I presume the latter is what people use while playing in 3d environments.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
karuden said:
Not going to waste the electrons trying to explain facts to morons. Just chew on this ....3D means X, Y, Z axis. Just what is the depth of the 2D pixelated image on the screen in front of you? Oh that is right it has no depth from front to back of the image, hence IT IS NOT 3D!!!

You can NOT perceive depth from one monocular vantage point. If you don"t understand the concept then I suggest you do some learning and less mouthing off.
Heeeey fucknut!

One"s mind can "perceive" depth due to optical illusions. When we see an item drawn in artifical 3d, our mind automatically assigns a certain bit of depth to it.

Thus we are given the illusions of perceiving depth. Thus we can judge "distance" in a video game.

We can also walk in familiar areas with one eye closed because ones mind automatically assigns a certain depth, due to knowledge of the area.

kk, now shut the fuck up please.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I bet watching karudan playing any 3D game would be pretty funny. Falling off cliffs, running straight through the front window of the enemy base, trying to throw a grenade over a mountain.God this 3dz sucks!!!

Quit arguing semantics. Of course it is not truly 3d on a fucking flat display. However, our brain uses more than just binocular vision to determine how far or close something is.

foddon_foh

shitlord
karuden said:

Wait a minute! You mean there"s not an actual 3d world inside my monitor when I play these games?? Alert the presses... we"ve been had.

Froofy-D_foh

shitlord
Karuden has to be trolling, nobody can be that stupid. Can they? But just in case, if you can"t percieve depth in 2d, then why:

- can you tell what is farther away in photographs?
- can you determine depth from an image on a mirror?
- can you distinguish depth in movies and even cartoons?

BTW, isn"t the image projected onto your retina by your eye lenses essentially 2D?

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
New article on Curt & co."s upcoming titlehere.

Interesting tidbits:

The Article said:
But Close said 38 Studios plans on bringing something new to the table, namely a complex, structured story that will drive the game. "There are two types of MMO players right now: grinders and community players that enjoy the social aspect of playing with their friends," Close said. "But what about a good story, one that is developed over time and keeps players coming back for more?"
The Article said:
"We are going to use an episodic model," Close said, "but it won"t be exactly like the current episodic model. The games will be longer, deeper. Once one chapter of the story reaches critical mass, a new chapter will be released."
and

The Article said:
As for the visual design of the top secret title, Close said 38 Studios plans to have more advanced graphics and animation for its game than what it traditionally seen in some of the more popular MMOs today.

Lonin_foh

shitlord
Time to read more into the info than I should!

So, better graphics than WoW, but not 1 billion polygons better I"d assume, or he"d have said something like that. If that"s the case, that"s a good route to take IMO.

The "episodic model" thing sounds really intriguing. The way he worded it, it actually sounds like a EQ progression server model. Once a certain point in the storyline is reached, a new chapter is released. Sounds really cool to me.

Cue Curt or one of the Guards to come and destroy my dreams.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
"There are two types of MMO players right now: grinders and community players that enjoy the social aspect of playing with their friends," Close said. "But what about a good story, one that is developed over time and keeps players coming back for more?"

And to add to that "But what about a good story that hits numerous types of players and play styles in an engaging and meaningful way?"

That"s where we are, and where we are heading. There are certainly more than two types of players but for simplicity they can be lumped into those two groups for the sake of this comment.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
hey Ngruk, have you decided on a engine yet? and if not, have you looked at "tech5" by ID?

just curious because just from perusing what they are saying- in my opinion- would be very good for a mmo to use, also you could release said game on pc ,mac ,360 and ps3 with supposedly- zero- code changes.

as a side note, if someone was say at Fenway and yelled "HEY Ngruk" as you lean over the rail on the dugout, would you turn around and look to see who yelled it? (i almost did that a few weeks ago Guy i get tickets from has tickets 5 rows behind the dugout...as an aside, - my son was with wally on the dugout roof during the 7th inning stretch during that game-and got his name on the scoreboard for his birthday- also got a foul ball (beckett was pitching))

spentmotiff_foh

shitlord
Reading that makes me think about the storyline in early Horizons days. Yes, I know,Horizons.

They had a pretty cool storyline about a war against the undead that progressed as you played and would dump some pretty cool events on the players. The storyline unlocked new races to play (as you liberated them from the undead) and new towns would open as well. Before the company who originally owned Horizons went under (Artifact, I think) every 2 weeks or so a new "chapter" would open with all sorts of events and changes to the game world.

In my opinion, if you are going to make a strictly PvE game, a progressing storyline that involves players is the way to go.