Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You care about this thread? Theres really nothing of substance in this whole thing. I think there was a Yankees vs. Redsox derail back a hundred pages or so.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Yeah, this thread has run the gamut of many topics, from Sox vs. Yankees to Schilling vs. Bonds to engines, middleware and now class vs. skills.

I am all for a thread dedicated to a class vs. skill debate though and thought of it already. Hell, someone make it and even include a poll so people could vote!

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just need to get an industry person to post something for a change of topic, then there will be the 5-10 pages of obligatory rimjobbing, brown-nosing, asking of stupid questions, and commenting on their personal lives.

grimsark_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
Except you havn"t added anything other than vapor in this argument. You throw out buzz words like obsolete, old, stale and DONE RIGHT yet offer nothing to back up your claims. Either share some of your super duper ideas that I"m pretty sure 100s of devs have thought of already, or just stop posting generalities.
Obviousely I am wasting my time talking to both of you then.

So be it. I am finnished.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Genjiro said:
Just need to get an industry person to post something for a change of topic, then there will be the 5-10 pages of obligatory rimjobbing, brown-nosing, asking of stupid questions, and commenting on their personal lives.
Well it won"t be Curt.. he is busy getting rocked by NY atm.

Lalala_foh

shitlord
Gaereth said:
Actually I would say it speaks to your misunderstanding of what folks are saying. In WOW, for example, you don"t put doors without keys, or places that only a rogue can get into because then everyone would have to have a rogue because they are the only class that has said skill.

But what if opening those doors was a skill anyone might have?? Suddenly its not a class restriction, your priest might be able to do it, or your tank, and with a full group its entirely possibly someone might have it. If its possible that anyone might have it then designers can approach the creation of content without worrying about slighting everyone who isn"t a rogue. You can make fun and interesting content without worrying about what classes are needed for said content. You make it and let the players deal with it because they have the capability of doing damn near anything.

Then you start to get interesting skill layouts based on what people want to do. For me as a tank I would want to get all the skills that allowed my group to overcome the obstacles in a dungeon....so perhaps I have pick lock, find sekrit crap, climb, and tank....I build my character to do what I love to do which is tour director in dungeon hell.

Then the next guy just wants pure face meltage. He could give a shit about opening stuff or anything because to him its just about the big numbers and there will always be some roleplay idiot to open stuff. Fine..he can make that setup but he can"t adventure without help then. But he would be a fine addition to my group.

If everyone migrates to the face melting stuff...then all they can do is stand there and melt faces. If everyone migrates to opening the sekrit crap and that sort of stuff then you can get to stuff but you can"t kill it. People have to start making meaningful choices about what their character will do in game.
I still see problems with that, referring to your pick lock skill for example, if you design dungeons that WILL have locks, then pick lock almost become an obligatory skill for everyone (as everyone tend to be more autonomous, they will want to have everything possible).

grimsark_foh

shitlord
Gaereth said:
Actually I would say it speaks to your misunderstanding of what folks are saying. In WOW, for example, you don"t put doors without keys, or places that only a rogue can get into because then everyone would have to have a rogue because they are the only class that has said skill.

But what if opening those doors was a skill anyone might have?? Suddenly its not a class restriction, your priest might be able to do it, or your tank, and with a full group its entirely possibly someone might have it. If its possible that anyone might have it then designers can approach the creation of content without worrying about slighting everyone who isn"t a rogue. You can make fun and interesting content without worrying about what classes are needed for said content. You make it and let the players deal with it because they have the capability of doing damn near anything.

Then you start to get interesting skill layouts based on what people want to do. For me as a tank I would want to get all the skills that allowed my group to overcome the obstacles in a dungeon....so perhaps I have pick lock, find sekrit crap, climb, and tank....I build my character to do what I love to do which is tour director in dungeon hell.

Then the next guy just wants pure face meltage. He could give a shit about opening stuff or anything because to him its just about the big numbers and there will always be some roleplay idiot to open stuff. Fine..he can make that setup but he can"t adventure without help then. But he would be a fine addition to my group.

If everyone migrates to the face melting stuff...then all they can do is stand there and melt faces. If everyone migrates to opening the sekrit crap and that sort of stuff then you can get to stuff but you can"t kill it. People have to start making meaningful choices about what their character will do in game.
Well said.
I was to caught up in the tit for tat that I neglected to give my examples some life.

Thank you.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Geaux said:
woo baseball derail!

7 innings so far and 2 ER. rocked he is not being
Down 2-0 and on the verge of being swept is quite rocky imo. The one thing that could save NY"s season and chance to win the division was sweeping Boston.. and they are about to do it.

Lalala said:
I still see problems with that, referring to your pick lock skill for example, if you design dungeons that WILL have locks, then pick lock almost become an obligatory skill for everyone (as everyone tend to be more autonomous, they will want to have everything possible).
This is the one thing that most armchair designers tend to forget.. human nature. The path of least resistance is the one that they will take.

grimsark_foh

shitlord
Lalala said:
That is the choice you make as a player. Either be more generalized for solo play, or specialized for group play. Either way you will be able to migrate between both as you wish because you are not locked into any particular path.
edit:
And you experience the content on your own terms.

Geaux_foh

shitlord
at least this skill based game will have a "community" as everyone sits in town with 4 of 5 for their group looking for that last healer that happens to have the Steroids skill to hit the rock far enough so that it trips the wire that opens the door to the next area.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Geaux said:
at least this skill based game will have a "community" as everyone sits in town with 4 of 5 for their group looking for that last healer that happens to have the Steroids skill to hit the rock far enough so that it trips the wire that opens the door to the next area.
Now that made me laugh.

grimsark_foh

shitlord
Geaux said:
I assume you are being sarcastic... But to address your point seriously, there is no reason why content can"t be as you described.

Instead of a key quest that unlocks the door, you have pick lock skills (that anyone might choose to train).

On one hand, you are required to play the game (complete the quest) the way the developer defines. If you have not, you do not get in.

On the other you have chosen not to have the skill and are waiting for someone who has, to help you.

Which one resembles real community to you?

edit:
Keep in mind, that if your community was limited, you could always chose to shift your skills more towards lock picking yourself. Because you are not locked into a class.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Draegan said:
What I"m asking is if you can create content that remains challenging and useful if you don"t have the tank/healer/dps archtypes? If you can, what kind of content is that and what kind of character development scheme would you propose?.
I never played them but wasn"t the Thief series built around stealthing to victory versus combat? That could certainly form part of a new MMO. Similiarly VG"s diplomacy had it been actually integrated with dungeons and not cities could have formed an alternate way to beat (intelligent) bosses.

Anyway what what an MMO split between standard tank/healer/dps combat and stealth (ignoring dip) require in addition to t/d/c/h:

Disguise/illusion abilities
Stealth/distract abilties (think Alec Guiness in SW turning the guards around) and/or inviz and generic hide in shadows.
Climbing and long-distance jumping abilities (for rooftops).
Silent kill abilities (garrote, etc.)

How could this combine with a regular MMO? The rogue/ninja/thief/stealth-guy might have to climb over the walls of random_boss_castle kill a few guys w/o raising an alert to lower the bridge over the moat to let the rest of the raid on in.

Memo to 2bit: For fucks sake is there any Blizz action/decision/mechanic-fuck-up that you won"t defend? Talk about a fucking shill. Props to Blizz for what they did right and making a game that has 8 gazillioin subs worldwide but come on man.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
tad10 said:
Memo to 2bit: For fucks sake is there any Blizz action/decision/mechanic-fuck-up that you won"t defend? Talk about a fucking shill. Props to Blizz for what they did right and making a game that has 8 gazillioin subs worldwide but come on man.
Plenty, is there any you won"t attack? For fuck"s sake dude, you tried to claim that FD pulling was awesome and should be included in future games. Here is a real protip.. pulling fucking blows chunks for everyone but the guy pulling becuase you get to sit in a room and do nothing until single mobs are served to you on a platter. Go play EQ if you want that shit.. leave it in the 1st gen where it belongs.

Not quite unlike that fantastic scenario you just oulined above. Yeah, I want to pull my pud while someone else gets to play fucking ninja. Sounds like a blast! Or it sounds like a game where 70% of the population is a fucking ninja.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I think it"s pertinent to use WOW examples since most people can easily recognize them. WOW got an incredibly large amount of things right in my opinion, which I havn"t found in any current MMO, which is why I still play it.

All your climbing abilities are fine and dandy. Throw them in the game. Why not. Though my quote was supposed to refer to a classless game.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Draegan said:
Though my quote was supposed to refer to a classless game.
Yeah I think people are really all over the place with their ideas. Some people are talking about class vs. skills and others are talking about random shit. No rhyme or reason to it and it"s hard to tell who is who anymore.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There was nothing wrong with fd pulling, as it was entirely optional. In your system, instead of having it as something optional to maybe eek into a dungeon a level or two ahead of when most did, you just write it off entirely and are shit out of luck.

There is a big difference between being required, and adding in pulling skills to simply make things easier, the exact fucking same way crowd control spells like sheep and mez do. Did you need the monk to fd pull? No. Was it required? No. Did it make life easier, letting you push the envelope of your group a little more? Sure. It was a melee form of crowd control, and as someone who chain pulled for many an xp group, I rarely if ever used it as it did what you said....slowed down things to a crawl, I just always had new mobs in camp as the old ones were dying. Fd pulling everything would have made it boring, my group would have hated me, and it would have been incredibly slow in any sense of xp over time. It wasn"t required for any raid content either, except for maybe bleeding edge which is only a tiny fraction of content, and of that only a tiny amount needed monks to feign pull shit.