Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lord Thanos_foh

shitlord
Red Sox ace teams up with Todd McFarlane, R.A. Salvatore for Green Monster Games; first game in preproduction.

By Tim Surette, GameSpot
Posted Sep 8, 2006 2:47 pm PT

When professional athletes hang up their gloves, skates, cleats, and other pieces of sports equipment when they retire, most opt for a career in sports broadcasting, coaching, or pitchman for topical creams. Not Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling, though.

The Sox"s ace has formed a game company focusing on massively multiplayer online games called Green Monster Games, named after the famous left-field wall at Fenway Park in Boston. The company"s first game is currently in preproduction--no release date or game details have been announced.

"The challenge is not simply in publishing a game but in publishing a game that changes the landscape of the online marketplace," said Schilling. "Our company motto is "If you can"t do it better than it"s ever been done before, work for someone else.""

Schilling knows that, like with baseball, getting a game together is a team effort and has enlisted the help of some other entertainment luminaries. Serving as art director will be Todd McFarlane, creator of the Spawn comic and noted baseball memorabilia junkie. R.A. Salvatore, a fantasy writer who will keynote the upcoming Dark Age of Camelot Roundtable in Las Vegas, will be the publisher"s creative director.

When Schilling isn"t on the field mowing down batters with his split-fingered fastball, he"s mowing down enemies with fireballs in PC games. A longtime Everquest fan, Schilling teamed up with Sony Online Entertainment earlier this year to help fight Lou Gehrig"s disease. A virtual Schilling was put into the game, and every time gamers defeated him, money was donated to the ALS Association.

It appears that SOE may be teaming up with Schilling once again on Green Monster Games--though it"s not clear in what capacity. The news was brought to GameSpot"s attention by the MMOG publisher, which was unable to comment when asked about its involvement in the new company.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157359.html

Frax_foh

shitlord
This is his second game company, he is a major partner in a company called Multi-Man Publishing that makes addons and scenarios for Advanced Squad Leader.

Surlok TP_foh

shitlord
Todd McFarlane as Art Director is exciting,How art translates to game isn"t always as expected though.

Will definately keep an eye on whatever game they produce though.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I don"t know how positive the addition of McFarlane is. The guy can be a grade A jackass sometimes. He frequently puts his foot in his mouth, but I guess most of what he"s touched has turned to gold.

Didn"t he just get his ass successfully sued for something?

edit - yeah, according to Wiki, it"s happened twice:

Recently, McFarlane lost judgements in two lawsuits. The first was a 2002 suit in which McFarlane contested with writer Neil Gaiman over the rights to some supporting Spawn characters created by Gaiman in issue #9 of the Spawn series and over payment for later works featuring those characters. In 1997 the two signed a deal in which Gaiman would give his share of characters Angela, Medieval Spawn and Cogliostro to McFarlane in exchange of McFarlane"s share of British superhero Miracleman (in reality, what McFarlane actually owned were two trademarks for Miracleman logos, not the character, which would become clear only after the lawsuit concluded). However, this deal was broken by McFarlane, which motivated Neil Gaiman to start the lawsuit. The jury was unanimous in favor of Gaiman. (The two are now involved in a dispute over ownership of Miracleman, but no lawsuit has been filed in that dispute.)

The second was a December 2004 suit in which hockey player Tony Twist sued McFarlane because he named a mobster character in Spawn after Twist. After McFarlane lost the second suit, his publishing company, Todd McFarlane Productions, filed for bankruptcy. This had no effect on the rest of TMP productions.
Fucking Calgarians.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
ValkyrieIsAboutToDie said:
My ears are perked.
Put them back down. RA Salvatore has been a sell out for the last few years.

I wish Schilling luck though. Hopefully he will understand what needs to be done in this genre.

Mkopec1_foh

shitlord
Utnayan said:

I wish Schilling luck though. Hopefully he will understand what needs to be done in this genre.
You should design a game UT,so we can shit all over it.

xregg_foh

shitlord
Salvator may be a sell out but he is a better writer than any writer working in mmorpgs today. Im sure he will craft some interesting lore.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Ut"s right in this regard. Salvatore hasn"t been good in years. He"s passable but being one of the most bankable WOTC writers on the market has caused him to lose some of the touch which made him interesting to begin with.

Caocao_foh

shitlord
Utnayan said:

So much talk, but for some reason I doubt you will ever have the creativity or the Financial support to walk the walk.

Zarcath

Silver Squire
I think Salvatore is a great choice for creative director of an MMO. What better then a story that starts off great, sets the scene for incredible sequels midway and at the end is a total disappointment and cockblock festival.