Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Utnayan said:
Don"t get me wrong, I loved his earlier books. The Crystal Shard, Halfing"s Gem, Streams of Silver, and I liked the Dark Elf prequel about Drizzt"s upbringing, but after that it was all downhill.

Now his name is more of an endorsement - like Tom Clancy. What Peter Jackson as an executive producer is to Halo the Movie.
I think his latest series is really good to be honest though its about Artemis not Drizzt. If you havnt read The Sellswords trilogy yet you should pick it up. It starts with Servant of the Shard which is also the 3rd book in the Path of Darkness series.

I just finished "Promise of the Witch-King" and thought it was excellent. If you havnt read em I recommend it.

Deris_foh

shitlord
Utnayan said:
Point stands. Salvatore is nothing but a name on a box. And another point stands, there are some designers that post here that don"t know shit about their game that they develop where the players know more than they do.

Looks like there are just as many Salvatore fanbois here as SOE apologist faggots. The two obviously go hand in hand.
Salvatore played EQ for quite a while, I never heard if he quit or not. I"m sure he would love to get into some of the Design aspects of an MMO, being around high fantasy series and pnp DnD for so long, along with enjoying MMO"s.

A Moorcock MMO would have to be done perfectly or there would be some REALLY pissed fans. I hope to god they do the Elric movie right , and pray for a Multiverse MMO someday.

p.s
Ut why don"t you fucking design a game already since you"re so pro at it.

Daerath_foh

shitlord
Nebuchadnezzar said:
Besides working for WOTC? Well, he killed Chewie too.
Just because someone works for a company or kills off a well-known character doesn"t make them a sell-out.

You do know what it means to be a sell-out, right? Selling out means you sacrifice the thing that made you special/liked/etc. for a reward (usually money).

Neither of your examples supports the statement that Salvatore is a sell-out.

Utnayan said:
Salvatore is a sell out because he doesn"t know when to stop. He keeps selling the same tired and old stories based on the same tired and old characters.
He doesn"t know when to stop? He"s a writer. That means he writes for a living. By your definition, anyone who continues to write after getting some notoriety is automatically a sell-out.

You know what. Fuck it. You are too fucking stupid to deal with. Arguing with you is like trying to negotiate peace in the middle east. Fucking pointless.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
Rezz said:
Ed Greenwood =/

I love me some David Eddings... up until the end of the Tamuli, his works from then on have been lackluster. A game with his style in it though, wouldn"t be the best in the world. If people have an issue with "overpowered" characters, David Eddings is as close to a Marvel writer as most fantasy authors (sans Greenwood. I fucking hate Forgotten Realms =/) can hope to be. I mean seriously, Belgarath and Sparhawk? They worked with Gods to defeat other gods, and usually end up being superior anyway. He"s a good author, but for a mmorpg? Can"t see it going well.
Yeah working against the gods that worked horribly in that everquest game.

Rezz said:
though I would prefer a dark fantasy mmo with Moorcock at the helm.
Moorcock coming your way.

Rezz_foh

shitlord
There"s a bit of the difference between the way Eddings writes his god-slaying badasses and the way EQ presented them. Besides, it was mentioned earlier that some of the characters presented were overwhelmingly badass, and unrealistically so. Eddings falls into the same pitfall. I love the Belgariad-Tamuli books, all 4 series were fantastic. They still wouldn"t make a good mmorpg if he wrote in a similar fashion for both imo.

I"m not sure which universe would make a superior story/setting experience out of the Moorcock choices, I would hazard to say either Elric or Corum"s worlds would be the best, though I liked Hawkmoon"s as well.

Kasi_foh

shitlord
Come on guys. Does anyone here read any good fantasy ffs? Eddings is no paragon. How many stories has he written about an all powerful blue stone? Umm, like nearly all of them? Not saying that Salvatore is better though, he has his issues too. I did enjoy Belgariad, Mallorean, Elenium (Tamuli is shit, that series just reeks sorry. ) and most of the first 8 Salvatore books, but none of it is great lit, even for fantasy lit.

There has to be some people out there reading Erikson, Martin, Bakker, Meiville, Donaldson, etc. Heck even Jordan is a step or three above Eddings/Salvatore.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
I think most hate Salvatore because he created the epitome of emo in Drizzt. Though if you want retarded within the FR setting, go check out Mel Odom"s sorry excuse for literature. I haven"t read anything since greenwoods "Elminster in hell" though. that travesty ruined it all for me, though a friend has been bugging me to go pick up the war of the spider queen, said it was pretty good.

I think Isaac Asimov spoiled me. Ever since my father introduced me to his writing I"ve been hooked. 8( Foundation and Empire was so badass.

Steven Erikson"s Malazan series is the best fantasy series that I"ve read in the last decade or two, including RR Martin, Eddings, Greenwood, etc...

I"ve enjoyed most of Salvatore"s early Drizzt stuff but, as I said before, his foray into the gaming industry with Demon Stone left a lot to be desired. Of course, an MMO gives a lot more room to develop a storyline and lore than a 10-50 hour game so perhaps the setting will suit him a bit better. Will be interested to see how it works out, regardless.

Neric_foh

shitlord
How about Green Monster Games installing Koster as CEO? He is a free-agent, right? Muhahhaha....

Honestly, I really wonder where this company will steal from. Just like in music where everything old gets covered, how about graphics from L2, PvP from DAoC and dungeons from EQ1? This should be a deadly combination and it would be much superior to graphics from DAoC, PvP from EQ1 and dungeons from L2.

really dont think much of Eddings its far to cliche"d- the stoic male hero + gigly girl heroin who"s really a tough nut + light relief thief type yada yada...

David gemmel has been one of my favourites for a long tiem and many of his books/worlds are perfect for games - unfortunatley he died recently

Well...They have a great base.

Awesome art guy? Check.

Talented writer? Check.

World series winning pitcher who ended Boston"s 86 year World Series curse? Who happens to also be a fanatical gamer? check.

How can they lose?!

Neric_foh

shitlord
Vekruul Shuth said:
Well...They have a great base.

Awesome art guy? Check.

Talented writer? Check.

World series winning pitcher who ended Boston"s 86 year World Series curse? Who happens to also be a fanatical gamer? check.

How can they lose?!
They could sign Bill Buckner as content manager...oh wait, he is working for Sigil already.

keflex_foh

shitlord
Zarcath said:
I think Salvatore is a great choice for creative director of an MMO. What better then a story that starts off great, sets the scene for incredible sequels midway and at the end is a total disappointment and cockblock festival.
Stephen King and his Dark Tower series could definitely give Salvatore a run for his money.

Like I said, Eddings and all the 80s writers were writing when most of that stuff wasn"t cliche because there wasn"t much of it around. It was forgivable back then but not now.

And as a sidenote, Tor needs to hurry up and release more of Erikson"s novels in the states.

Digo_foh

shitlord
I think guys writing comics are better writers than the novelists. Mike Mignola and Mike Carey make Salvatore, Knaak... any of those guys look like glorified fan fic. They have a better grasp of character, structure, and don"t touch the melodrama.

karisa_foh

shitlord
Thoruk said:
He doesn"t whore out his characters for cash, but his wife writes too much of his material now. His quality of writing has gone way down from his first series.

I was a huge fan of his. Ate up everything he wrote, but my past few experiences with him have left me feeling "meh" but, oh well.
Hangon, everything he has wrote is exactly the same!

karisa_foh

shitlord
Daerath said:
He doesn"t know when to stop? He"s a writer. That means he writes for a living. By your definition, anyone who continues to write after getting some notoriety is automatically a sell-out.
No, in the act of re-telling old stories again with little new imput or imagination and selling those "new" tales at profit is the act of selling out. In his early days he wrote interesting material that was either fresh from plots, characters or methods. Now his work isn"t fresh, it"s the same old shit repackaged.

Elgonn_foh

shitlord
karisa said:
No, in the act of re-telling old stories again with little new imput or imagination and selling those "new" tales at profit is the act of selling out. In his early days he wrote interesting material that was either fresh from plots, characters or methods. Now his work isn"t fresh, it"s the same old shit repackaged.
Have you even read his stuff? Not just the Drizzt line but ALL of it? Even the newer ones that you claim aren"t fresh.

When you publish in FR you don"t have free reign. God forbid he write a couple books you dislike while writing plenty of fine fiction. Feel free to hate all over Demon Wars because as far as I know that"s his toy entirely.

Salavatore is a good author. I have no idea if he can help make an MMO though.