Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Trust me when I say I wish it had been ketchup, then I"d have not had to be in a wheelchair for 8 weeks and crutches for four more after we won that little thing called the WORLD SERIES!!

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
8 weeks, sweet Jesus. I was attacked by a wild hog and begged to go back to work at week #2. I couldn"t survive not being able to walk fucking 8 weeks. Christ. Did they put landmines in the field that morning? That"s some intense shit.

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
James said:
8 weeks, sweet Jesus. I was attacked by a wild hog and begged to go back to work at week #2. I couldn"t survive not being able to walk fucking 8 weeks. Christ. Did they put landmines in the field that morning? That"s some intense shit.
He was just trying to express how much he loved his team with some red socks.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
One could look at 8 weeks as a bad thing. Or one could realize that 8 weeks of HAVING to be in a wheelchair meant 8 hardcore weeks of MMO playing since I was of no use around the house!!!

faille

Molten Core Raider
Ngruk said:
One could look at 8 weeks as a bad thing. Or one could realize that 8 weeks of HAVING to be in a wheelchair meant 8 hardcore weeks of MMO playing since I was of no use around the house!!!
So was it really only a 4 week injury? 8)

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
wonder why the thread is so active, come back and see curt is posting here...mr i play a monk in eq,.. then moved to shadowknight in eq2

hope bledsoe"s house is working out(unless you moved again) because he is out of a job currently

(i live in the boston area for those that don"t know)

imo there are lots of variables to make a mmo successful.

quality at launch is just one of them
gameplay is key, as well as the amount of content at release. but also graphically it needs to be good- one of the major complaints you see here when discussing new mmo"s is frames per second- if you followed vanguard you"d see the beat down sigil has gotten for several months about FPS...

for a graphics engine, shrug, going premade will help speed things up- IF the base product comes with what you want, unreal 2 or unreal3 engines are possibilities, as well as the doom3 engine(if you choose to go opengl) for the "major" engines i"d look at- vanguard is using a heavily modified unreal 2 engine if i remmeber correctly.

not having to worry about the graphics engine development means devs can concentrate on the game & gameplay itself.

nice to see you posting here.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Lenardo said:
wonder why the thread is so active, come back and see curt is posting here...mr i play a monk in eq,.. then moved to shadowknight in eq2

hope bledsoe"s house is working out(unless you moved again) because he is out of a job currently

(i live in the boston area for those that don"t know)

imo there are lots of variables to make a mmo successful.

gameplay is key, as well as the amount of content at release. but also graphically it needs to be good- one of the major complaints you see here when discussing new mmo"s is frames per second- if you followed vanguard you"d see the beat down sigil has gotten for several months about FPS...

for a graphics engine, shrug, going premade will help speed things up- IF the base product comes with what you want, unreal 2 or unreal3 engines are possibilities, as well as the doom3 engine(if you choose to go opengl) for the "major" engines i"d look at- vanguard is using a heavily modified unreal 2 engine if i remmeber correctly.

not having to worry about the graphics engine development means devs can concentrate on the game & gameplay itself.

nice to see you posting here.
I never played a SK, ever!! Went to Defiler in EQ2. From EQ I went to Mac EQ and that"s where Ngruk was born.

And no, we haven"t chosen a game engine as of yet, but Emergents Gamebryo is certainly a candidate. Middleware companies are starting to get bought up, and they are also completely redoing their pricing schemes over the past 10 months.

Man0warr_foh

shitlord
I"d say its the #1 most important thing. Look at EQ2, terrible game in beta/release, improved 10 fold, still struggling to get more customers because of the initial impressions.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Quality at launch is all of them

You"re fooling yourself if you don"t think that first 30 minutes, from purchase to account creation, character creation, opening cinematic, actual in game log in and playing 10-15 minutes isn"t just about the most crucial time in a games life.

The market is so incredibly saturated right now, and that won"t change imo, that if you don"t put a product out now that"s polished, front to back, on day one, you are costing yourself hundreds of thousands, to millions of customers.

I"d think approaching it any other way would be just piss poor management.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Ngruk said:
Quality at launch is all of them

You"re fooling yourself if you don"t think that first 30 minutes, from purchase to account creation, character creation, opening cinematic, actual in game log in and playing 10-15 minutes isn"t just about the most crucial time in a games life.

The market is so incredibly saturated right now, and that won"t change imo, that if you don"t put a product out now that"s polished, front to back, on day one, you are costing yourself hundreds of thousands, to millions of customers.

I"d think approaching it any other way would be just piss poor management.
Exactly why I dont play EQ2, despite that I think it may actually be a better game.

Tancred_foh

shitlord
Angerz said:
Exactly why I dont play EQ2, despite that I think it may actually be a better game.
Haha you just reminded me of the intro/tutorial movie and the APPALLING cod-Scottish accent of the boat captain. Dick Van Dyke"s "cockney" in Mary Poppins was better

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
And no, we haven"t chosen a game engine as of yet, but Emergents Gamebryo is certainly a candidate. Middleware companies are starting to get bought up, and they are also completely redoing their pricing schemes over the past 10 months.
No matter what engine you decide to go with, high-res and oodles of polygons does not a pretty game make. It"s all aboutstyle.

Eduardo_foh

shitlord
Surely with the right talent hired in, the team at GMG will produce something spectacular. From what I have read of Ngruk"s posts, I can extrapolate that most aspects of production and release are being considered deeply. The hardest part for a startup company is getting money, and since that is not an issue, GMG has vast potential for building a great mmorpg. And Curt, it is ok if your wife calls you a nerd. Being a nerd in disguise is awesome, we are part of an elite club, and we get the smartest women (who generally have higher paying jobs.)

rant on engine choice: The benefit to licensing an engine is saving a bit of time. The benefit of building your own engine is being able to license it to others for extra cash, and being able to fully implement design decisions without too much "rework", since the programmers have access to the game design docs and leads and can keep the big picture in their mind as the engine gets built. Producing your own high quality engine that is modular enough to license to others is definitely worth the extra work, if you have the talent capable of building it. Also have to keep DirectX 10 in mind, which will soon be upon us.

Blackulaa_foh

shitlord
Also, on a side note. I would hope that you scour every message board you can find related to MMO"s and come up with the Nirvana of "End Game". I don"t know it can be done. But anything, please anything, except a grind for faction or raids that require 100.

Do this and I"ll buy mustard to go with that ketchup

Abalieno_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Emergents Gamebryo is certainly a candidate.
Let"s hope not. I suffered enough of DAoC and Oblivion"s terrible clients.

While it may look pretty, their engines are terribly optimized, have always had memory leaks since the engine was known as Netimmerse and are still carrying over a bunch of problems (hello mouse lag!) and bugs that are never addressed.

In particular the clients just don"t work well in windowed mode. And windowed mode is ESSENTIAL for a mmorpg.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Doesn"t that fall more on the client side programming lead, and team, than the engine though?

USing a game engine as an excuse for game problems is like me blaming a HR on the wind. If you don"t do your due diligence in pre-production and choose an engine and game that fits that engine perfectly, or have the tech people onboard to make that perfect fit, you have no one to blame but yourself.

I know it"s not that simple, but it really is when you boil it down to the basics.