Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
darksensei said:
It is hard to pass up on the chance to get direct feedback from someone so I"ll go into specifics here.

What more can someone with no game industry experience put besides mods they"ve made? Sure you can put a few sentences trying to express why some of your mods were unique and creative but it is not like you can send each company numerous mods for various games and expect them to play them.r.
You might not want to hear this, or maybe you do, but speaking from my unique perspective only I can tell you that if you"ve made a mod that"s an eye opener, chances are you don"t have to tell me about it.

I know that people that mod and that are good get scooped up pretty quickly in the game industry.

I also would assume there are alot of good modders out there that are still looking for the one big chance.

If you"ve modded, and you think you kick ass at it, then you need to make sure first that it"s relevant to the job you are looking at, second, if it"s as good as you think it is then you need to make sure the people you are submitting the resume to see it.

I never knew how hard it was to get into this industry until I got into this industry. I won"t deny the bias that comes with looking at resumes with no industry experience.
But at this stage of the game, I have extended a contract and hired 3 people that have exactly ZERO days of game industry experience other than being players with another one having an offer on the table at the moment.

No doubt it"s hard to get in, but speaking from first hand experience one of the main reasons these people don"t get in is that I see zero desire or extra effort put into their resumes. I mean that. They will spend 25 lines telling me how many games they have played, how much they love them, how l33t their mains are, and at the end of the resume they"ve basically lost their jobs at blockbuster because of their online addiction and are currently unemployed thinking that making these games they are additcted to would be a million times cooler than playing them. Ya let me stake the future of a company on that one.....

darksensei_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
You might not want to hear this, or maybe you do, but speaking from my unique perspective only I can tell you that if you"ve made a mod that"s an eye opener, chances are you don"t have to tell me about it.
I do appreciate it, it is a rare chance to hear advice from those who have insight.
If you"ve modded, and you think you kick ass at it, then you need to make sure first that it"s relevant to the job you are looking at, second, if it"s as good as you think it is then you need to make sure the people you are submitting the resume to see it.
Perhaps you could explain this somewhat further, do you want cd"s with the mods included on them? For art positions it is fairly straight forward with what to include, but not with design positions.

No doubt it"s hard to get in, but speaking from first hand experience one of the main reasons these people don"t get in is that I see zero desire or extra effort put into their resumes. I mean that. They will spend 25 lines telling me how many games they have played, how much they love them, how l33t their mains are, and at the end of the resume they"ve basically lost their jobs at blockbuster because of their online addiction and are currently unemployed thinking that making these games they are additcted to would be a million times cooler than playing them. Ya let me stake the future of a company on that one.....
That is understandable, I wouldn"t hire an applicant like that either. I did not mean to derail this thread from the game itself, but thank you for the responses.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
darksensei said:
Perhaps you could explain this somewhat further, do you want cd"s with the mods included on them? For art positions it is fairly straight forward with what to include, but not with design positions.
Maybe we can get this thread to seriously server a purpose!

In all honesty it"s as simple as you think it is, if you seriously think about it.

To use an analogy from my world. You go to an open tryout, to that tryout I bring this resume of all my accomplishments, all star teams, statistics, write ups, all the great things said about me. Do I get a team to offer me a contract sight unseen? No, I have to actually show them I can play the game and am good at it before they are going to even think about offering me a contract.

No different here. You don"t have any industry experience? You better be bringing a lot more to the table than a resume. For art and animation, coders, their talent will be easy to prove, for me hiring people for those positions is as much if not more about their makeup as people than their talent.

For designers, well, that"s a whole different ball of wax. Speaking from my perspective think about this. I"ve got one of the most famous fantasy authors on the planet creating our world, our lore, our iconic people and places. Fan or not he"s still outsold you 15+ million to none when it comes to actually CREATING something.

How are you going to make me see that you can work here? It sure as hell is not going to be listing your credentials as a passionately creative guy who ran the night shift as a manager at Wendys. I appreciate the leadership you"ve shown, and you"ve told me how long you"ve played MMO"s and how awesome the games are to you, but what do you really bring to the table that makes you different than anyone else?

Prove it. That"s really the bottom line. Send something that actually proves you know what you are talking about. Prove that you can design something from concept to design document that"s actually recognizable by people on the design team.

That"s what I think you were asking. Because you will find that part of the process eliminates 99% of the submitters passion. Going from "man I want to work for a game company" to actually penning a design doc stops most people. Few take that next step and even fewer still get through that next step or even know how.

You don"t need me nor anyone else here to tell you this, but it really is that simple, prove that you know what the hell you are talking about and in the absence of industry experience, prove that you are creative as hell and think outside the box.

Oh and one more thing. Sending a resume in that basically lists your "creative ideas" as a knock list of things you think suck and how to fix them is nothing more than asking someone else to make your game....

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Let me start this by saying this isn"t an attempt at getting a job, or an attempt as even getting you to look at me as a potential employee (unless you receive a resumee from me a couple years down the line applying for a network administrative position, which, really isn"t here nor there.)

To be honest, if you want creativity, I"ve got some awsome class designs that I"d be glad to share for free.

It"d just be cool to see some of my ideas in a game. I don"t care about credit, I don"t care about money, I"d just like to see the ideas atleast considered in a game.

Just give me a basic class type (healer, tank, etc) and I can come up with a few variations...

Yeah, if you want them, that"d be great and either PM me or reply to this thread. If not, thats cool too, and good luck with your game.

Deris_foh

shitlord
Hiring professionals who have prior experience in other roles and then figuring out who would be able to cut it in game design is the current "method" alot of companies use. No matter how much schooling, training, or understanding of Games someone has - that doesn"t help if they don"t naturally understand what is "fun" or can"t understand how to look at things from a Players POV, the Casual players POV, and the Hardcore Players POV. A Good Designer can look at all of these and understand how/where to insert xxxx to make it flow naturally with those players and those POV"s.

The last thing we need is some kind of "Game Design School" because god knows that place would churn out pure crap. It isn"t something you can be taught - its something you are groomed for and something you learn.

I"ve been giving a very, very small hand at game design - just a few quests, etc - and I understand its just to see where I am coming from and if I have a knack for these type of things. I can talk all I want, but in the end it comes down to "Did the players like this?"

Gaereth said:
A huge opportunity was presented for the player base to help the design team with something they didn"t understand and ended up breaking. Moorgard was in a unique position where he COULD have facilitated that interaction via his relationship with the designers.
Though I run the risk of sounding like a braggart, I know that my work on Mobhunter (and the relationships I developed even before I worked for SOE) resulted in a lot of positive changes to the game. I wrote about plenty of stuff that I saw as being wrong with the game, and in many cases action was taken. I know now, having worked on the other side of the business, that in many cases those changes would have been made without my input. But it"s nice to know I had an impact even as nothing more than a vocal player. I"m proud of that.

As for the monk nerf (and this is really the last I want to keep beating this horse), it would be incorrect to say that I simply believed what Scott or anybody at SOE told me. Iplayedthe game every single day, from soloing to grouping to raids. As I said, I saw little impact from the mitigation change, and so that"s what I wrote at the time. That wasn"t based on faith in anybody or anything--it was based on what I experienced in the game as a player. I stand by that.

If you think that means I failed the player base, so be it. You can argue that I, as someone with a website that had SOE"s attention at the time, had a responsibility to represent other players, but that responsibility did not in any way include championing causes that I did not personally believe in. Had I seen some crippling effects from the mitigation changes myself, I would have been on the front lines screaming about it. I didn"t. To say that I did would have been dishonest at the time, and it would be dishonest to say it now. It"s fine that you didn"t agree with my opinion, but please don"t assume I said what I did for any reason other than that I believed it to be true. If you want to prove otherwise, then yes, you do have to link to actual evidence of that.

J Capozzi said:
Then you have those people with the unenviable job of PR spokesperson. They"re usually hired because they"ve earned the respect of the player base and are articulate. But once onboard, they"re generally not given much respect by the dev team (or even disliked by team members before they were hired), and that"s not a good situation to be in.

Even if the dev team isn"t hostile to the PR spokesperson, the new guy may not know who to turn to for the correct (or as close to correct as possible) answers. And if he does get answers to questions, they can often be filtered through several layers of interpretation. Not hard to see howgarbage inturns intogarbage outin that situation....

Long story short, blaming a single PR person like Moorgard (or Absor, or Abashi, or Tweety, or...) for some things is simply making them a scapegoat.
Though I appreciate your intent, your post is based on experiences learned in a bygone era.

The title "community manager" is as meaningless as "game designer." It can mean any number of things, and in fact can be something entirely different depending on the company you work for and even the team you"re on.

I was hired by John Blakely, and he never once wanted me to be just a PR spokesperson. I was a lead on the EQ2 team, involved in every major decision-making process to the same extent as any other team lead. I had access to every person on the team, and if I wanted a question answered I knew exactly where to go. And believe me, I took full advantage of that access and worked hard to prove myself worthy of Blakely"s trust. That I earned his respect, and the respect of my coworkers on the EQ2 team, means a lot to me.

Frankly, this isn"t the norm in the industry. It was even a different approach at SOE at the time, because those who came before me on other teams weren"t given the same degree of freedom and respect that I (and Blackguard after me) was given. Trust me, I had many conversations with Abashi and Absor about the experiences they had, and they were enormously helpful in my ability to take a different path.

The only way a community manager can be truly effective is if they are, in fact, every bit as much a developer as anyone else on the team. The benefit to players via that relationship is enormous, because a good community manager is the best advocate for player issues and opinions. Likewise, a good community manager doesn"t just act as a fall guy for the dev team, but as a conduit to communicate the reason that design decisions are made. While the delicate balance achieved by a good community manager isn"t always fully appreciated, there are those who get it and understand the effort it takes to do it right.

But yeah, sometimes a community manager gets stuck between Scylla and Charybdes. No matter how hard you work to avoid it, sometimes you face the no-win scenario and have to take the fall for something that you weren"t personally responsible for (and yeah, I lived through some of that). Those days suck, but they are made up for by the times when you get to play the hero and soak in the appreciation of the players. The amount of kindness I was shown by the players, both in person and via the boards, means more to me than I could every truly express.

So whatever mistakes I made as community manager, I take full responsibility for them and would never take the "scapegoat" defense. Neither Blackguard nor I could ever say that we were not taken seriously or didn"t have a chance to make a difference. We weren"t right all the time, but we worked our asses off every single day. I"m very proud of the work that both of us did on the EQ2 team, and hopefully we proved worthy of the trust that Blakely, Hartsman, and everybody else placed in us.

The thing I can promise you is that the community team at GMG is going to be integral to the process of making the game great. I wouldn"t have accepted the position in Curt"s madhouse if it was going to be any other way.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Moorgard Mobhunter said:
......than I could every truly express.
Words cannot express the joy I feel at this very moment. Finding a typo in Moorgards post is akin to seeing Haleys Comet. Joy to the world!!!!

Steve you can start sending me rough drafts of your posts to edit from here on out, we know who the linguistics expert is now!!!

Fammaden_foh

shitlord
I always liked Mobhunter back in the day. Maybe if I had the same amount of time at work now as I used to I would have more to say in this thread. As it stands, I just saw Moorgard as the last poster a few hours ago and got interested all of a sudden.

redjunkopera_foh

shitlord
Right now you have two fairly well established, content filled, well organized games running... EQ2 and WoW. 5 years from now when you are going to probably be hovering around launch time those games are going to be even larger and even more robust. Vanguard will be 5 years old, a meriad of other games will have come and gone each trying out new ideas... some getting established and creating their own robust, content filled worlds.

Point being, when you actually get around to launch time your game is going to be competing with a lot of heavy hitters, with a lot of weight behind their names.

Now you may have extremely talented department heads, you might even be able to pull out a cast and crew of individuals who are without a question the cream of the crop... but how much above the rest of the pool can they actually be? 10%? 20%?

The other teams have extremely talented people working for them too. If the game plan is to just get a lot of talented people and chug at it the same way everyone else is, what kind of mark can you expect to reach? Your gonna launch a game that is 20% better than the other 15 major titles were when they launched, but still far behind in the content and robustness areas compared with their current states.

I can sense the kind of goal you have, Curt. You know how you say you have an idea but you need guys around to tell you what is and isn"t technologically feasible? Instead of hiring those guys, hire the guys who are going to tell you how to make your fantastic ideas technologically feasible, the guys who are going to figure out how to create the technology needed to make the crazy stuff real. That"s how you"re gonna make the game you want to make.

Gaereth_foh

shitlord
Moorgard Mobhunter said:
As for the monk nerf (and this is really the last I want to keep beating this horse), it would be incorrect to say that I simply believed what Scott or anybody at SOE told me. Iplayedthe game every single day, from soloing to grouping to raids. As I said, I saw little impact from the mitigation change, and so that"s what I wrote at the time. That wasn"t based on faith in anybody or anything--it was based on what I experienced in the game as a player. I stand by that.

If you think that means I failed the player base, so be it. You can argue that I, as someone with a website that had SOE"s attention at the time, had a responsibility to represent other players, but that responsibility did not in any way include championing causes that I did not personally believe in. Had I seen some crippling effects from the mitigation changes myself, I would have been on the front lines screaming about it. I didn"t. To say that I did would have been dishonest at the time, and it would be dishonest to say it now. It"s fine that you didn"t agree with my opinion, but please don"t assume I said what I did for any reason other than that I believed it to be true. If you want to prove otherwise, then yes, you do have to link to actual evidence of that.
I will put away my dead horse stick after this as well sir.

If a rich man looks around at his full larder and table and scoffs, "What food shortage??"

Does that make the cries of the hungry a fallacy?

Cybsled

Man I need to get back in designing mods again. Last time I ever hardcore modded was the Build 3D engine for Duke3d. Dunno where my maps are now, though...I used to share them with people on IRC (then they"d tell me I didnt make them...). You could do some crazy stuff with that if you tinkered around in it long enough. One thing I stumbled upon by accident was a "bug" that occurred when door geometry overlapped via a point with extremely small surface area. Basically, when you tried to open the door, the overlapping structures would act as a block and not allow you to open the door fully...you would get the sound effect for the door trying to move (for a split second) then nothing. However, if you kept trying to open the door, eventually it would open after a few tries. I decided to use that in one map as a design feature. Basically you have to get into the main temple, but the large stone doors are "stuck". When you stepped to the top of the stairs to get to the doors, it triggered a massive wave of attacking enemies. So it became an issue of you trying to open this stuck door before everything blasted you into gibs. Then I was extra evil...once you got inside, you first reaction is to get away from the horde of badguys outside. I had a nice starway leading down deep into the temple...but if you were careless, I had left a difficult to see hole (there was a very faint red glow on the walls near it...not my fault if you dont pay attention!) in the stairwell that would deposit you into a nice magma chamber ^^

Although I think one thing to be learned from that is sometimes you can stumble upon cool features that you don"t think of at first, because they arise from bugs or mistakes IMO it"s always important to see if you can use a bug or mistake to your advantage before destroying/fixing it. The history of our species is pretty much awash in instances of something unintended become indispensable.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Contrary to common thought, the most amazing scientific discoveries have been heralded in not by a cry of "Eureka!" but by the lesser known but far more interesting phrase, "Well, that"s odd..."

Cybsled

That"s %100 correct. Everything from antibiotics to x-rays, papertowels to teflon, was discovered by pure happenstance and accident ;p

Surreal_foh

shitlord
Just to sidetrack the thread for a brief second.

Curt, during the ALDS Jeremy Bonderman said an AL pitcher called him and told him how to pitch the Yankees to beat them. Bonderman pitched a gem and gave credit to that anonomous pitcher after the game. In Detroit your name was named several times in pure speculation.

I gotta know. Was it you?

If so thanks and feel free to spend more time with Bonderman, he could be Curt Shilling light if we are lucky. F*ck the Yankees

Back to our regularly schedule discussion

Eduardo_foh

shitlord
Cybsled said:
That"s %100 correct. Everything from antibiotics to x-rays, papertowels to teflon, was discovered by pure happenstance and accident ;p
Heh, maybe I lost the humor or intended irony in your post, but I"d like to change your percentage down to about 95%, not that I want to get into a debate about scientific methods, just giving my opinions based on what I did as a physicist in a highly controversial field (plasma cosmology.) Scientific progress and theory creation can indeed be fueled by chance discoveries, but you have to give some percentage points to the base paradigmatic assumptions that drive the researchers initial world view. There are some bad scientists out there that would not see a new discovery, or a fix to an old flaw, even if it swats them in the face...

Yeah Cybsled, bugs that can be used as features are pretty fun to come across. Your post brings back fond memories! My best example was a multiplayer assault map I made for FarCry (mp_arctico) in which I had initially designed a large cannon that can shoot vehicles across the map when you drove into the cannon. Turns out that impulse triggers are bugged server side so the cannon had to be removed, but even after it"s removal, the impulses for the entire map remained oddly altered. You could blow up a buggy and there was at least an 80% probability that the impulse would shoot the buggy in a random direction into the air, all the way across the map. It would also shoot any players near the buggy randomly into the air, half way across the map. It was hilarious and added to the gameplay. Other bugs spawned integral gameplay features on that map, like force fields that could be turned on and off and a waterfall that you could take boats UP and down. Just thinking about all the fun people had in there brings a smile to my face.

edit: heh oh yeah, can"t forget about the patrol boats that I scaled down to the size of jetskis, omg those things where a blast on the waterfall! 2nd edit: excuse my sidetracking, but this has brought back some fun memories, I found an old picture of the vehicle launcher before it was removed, it is the big obvious looking tube thing in the background, with like a pirate sniper in the foreground lolhttp://threeup.ca/tacto/img2/FarCry0058.jpgand here is one with one of the force field types in the background, and mutant krieger!http://threeup.ca/tacto/img2/FarCry0044.jpgI didnt plan on posting pics but finding these with a pirate sniper and a mutant dood made them feel worthy lol Here is one more, of the waterfall and a spherical force fieldhttp://www.levels4you.com/screenshots/f_12847.jpg

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Surreal said:
Just to sidetrack the thread for a brief second.

Curt, during the ALDS Jeremy Bonderman said an AL pitcher called him and told him how to pitch the Yankees to beat them. Bonderman pitched a gem and gave credit to that anonomous pitcher after the game. In Detroit your name was named several times in pure speculation.

I gotta know. Was it you?

If so thanks and feel free to spend more time with Bonderman, he could be Curt Shilling light if we are lucky. F*ck the Yankees

Back to our regularly schedule discussion
Wow, he really said that? Interesting. I don"t know who you are or what you do so I won"t respond to that question here.

Surreal_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Wow, he really said that? Interesting. I don"t know who you are or what you do so I won"t respond to that question here.
Im just a nobody Detroit Tiger fan, no media or Yankee ties. Hell you obviously didnt watch the game (and why would you) the announcers even made reference to it but they never speculated on a name. Your name came up on sports radio talk shows and thats about it. You, David Wells, Andy Petitte were those speculated on but Bondermans game rivals your more than theirs so..........

Frax_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Here is something I"d like to hear from you in a year or two:

Are sports fans more nutso than MMOG fans?

Cuppycake_foh

shitlord
redjunkopera said:
5 years from now when you are going to probably be hovering around launch time those games are going to be even larger and even more robust.
That"s a pretty generalized blanket statement to be making. 5 years from now, EQ2 and WoW will be 7 years old. I wouldn"t venture to guess that they"ll be bigger and more robust. Think of them rightnowas being EQLive circa 1999-2002. And think of them in 5 years as being what EQ is right now. EQlive certainly has more content and is therefore "robust" in that sense of the word, but we all know that more content does not equal more subscribers. I"d say that in 5 years people WILL be needing/wanting a new MMORPG to play. I would guess that WoW won"t be as robust as you are thinking, and I"m certain that EQ2 will have probably tapered off much as EQ1 has if not more. You can"t certainly think that we"ll all be still playing WoW in 5 years, but then again maybe that"s the strategy of releasing an expansion every 2 years...you keep people hanging on waiting, or coming back.