Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Northerner_foh

shitlord
Seriously.

Posting recent information about Schilling in this thread is pretty much right on target. Not that I personally care if he"s endorsing anyone politically or not but hey, it could be of interest to future fanbois.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
He"s the new moderator on these forums apparantly. He also can"t count, so be careful when posting videos. /nod

Noah EQ2_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Here, let me sell you this car.
Can I look under the hood?
Sure, after you buy it. You can drive it, and disregard the pings and stuff, it"s what you are asking for.
But I want to look under the hood before I buy it, to make sure it"s running right and what I am looking for....
Sorry, no can do.
But the other dealer let me look under their hood, before I was going to buy their car.
Cool, but you can"t see under our hood until it"s paid in full.......
Sounds like one of the priorities of this company is to protect their "sekret sauce". Perhaps they were afraid that you were a spy from GM at the Toyota Factory and asked to see the blue prints of their new awesome hybrid fuel car. I can understand if they want to protect IP and in this day and age since everyone is copying the last guy with a good idea.

If you just wanted to look under the hood and play with the buttons, that should have been accepted. If you wanted a month to take the car apart and inspect each part, I can see why they might deny that.

gnomad_foh

shitlord
Noah EQ2 said:
Sounds like one of the priorities of this company is to protect their "sekret sauce". Perhaps they were afraid that you were a spy from GM at the Toyota Factory and asked to see the blue prints of their new awesome hybrid fuel car. I can understand if they want to protect IP and in this day and age since everyone is copying the last guy with a good idea.

If you just wanted to look under the hood and play with the buttons, that should have been accepted. If you wanted a month to take the car apart and inspect each part, I can see why they might deny that.
I stand by my original comments. Good luck getting anyone other then Jimmy Smallcompany to let you look at their source code. If your programmers are competent they can utilize the published /documented hooks. If not then you need to fire them and get some that can work with modular code.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
gnomad said:
I stand by my original comments. Good luck getting anyone other then Jimmy Smallcompany to let you look at their source code. If your programmers are competent they can utilize the published /documented hooks. If not then you need to fire them and get some that can work with modular code.
You couldn"t be more wrong or ill informed. Our engineers are incredibly talented with a significant list of award winning titles under their belt. Not to mention the CTO we announced today, same thing, lengthy track record, incredibly talented and well respected.

The company in question was, and IS, the ONLY company we progressed with that denied full access to the source code when it was requested or needed.

It"s not rocket science. You want someone to spend a million dollars or more on your technology you better be ready for them to want more than just your word that it works.

Venjenz_foh

shitlord
gnomad said:
I stand by my original comments. Good luck getting anyone other then Jimmy Smallcompany to let you look at their source code.
Never done much work with IBM or Oracle, I guess. I have been viewing source code in enterprise apps from both of those companies for well over a decade now as part of my various tasks in the industry. Oh wait, I guess IBM and Oracle are those Jimmy Smallcompany"s of which you speak.
gnomad said:
If your programmers are competent they can utilize the published /documented hooks. If not then you need to fire them and get some that can work with modular code.
Because all code works like the salesmen say it will.

Because all promised out of the box solutions work perfectly right out of the box like the salesmen say it will.

Because all promised inter-operability and scalability is perfect on delivery, just like the salesmen say it is.

Programmers get tasked with making things work. If you purchased blackbox software from Jimmy Keepin Mah Secrets, Inc, and good input goes into said blackbox, and bad output is spit out the other end, then what is the programmer"s resource if it was kept proprietary? Oh, call up JKMS, Inc Tech Support and hope for the best?

Nay nay. I need to have access to that code. I need to see how the black box works, because if it breaks, I need to be able to fix it or circumvent it, but reliably. And if I am going to be sinking $millions into a product that must be reliable, my programming team must have all the tools available to respond when relaibility falls below 100%.

Here"s the real deal - the small change companies that want your tech support donations in perpetuity are the ones who restrict you from seeing the code. They need you to remain ignorant so you"ll pay them $200-500 per hour to make the black box work. Fine and dandy if you"re a mom & pop who outsource your IT. A game developer shop isn"t outsourcing their development, and based on project schedules, they can"t sit and wait for the black box artists to roll in and get things running if they fail.

But thanks for participating and showing everyone why Curt Schilling runs a company and you don"t.

Noah EQ2_foh

shitlord
Venjenz said:
But thanks for participating and showing everyone why Curt Schilling runs a company and you don"t.
It will be interesting to see the products that come out next. With large landmarks like EQ1/WoW and no so great successes ala Vanguard, the next wave has a lot of data to learn from what worked and what didn"t.

Let see some IP info soon!

Venjenz_foh

shitlord
Tyen said:
I take it Crysis engine is out of the question then~
I don"t work at Curt"s shop, but I would pass on any engine that was proprietary. And if I was going to buy an engine from a compnay who specializes in FPS gaming, then I"d tap Carmack for one of his, then you know you"re getting about the best there is.

Venjenz_foh

shitlord
Noah EQ2 said:
It will be interesting to see the products that come out next. With large landmarks like EQ1/WoW and no so great successes ala Vanguard, the next wave has a lot of data to learn from what worked and what didn"t.

Let see some IP info soon!
It will be interesting.

I think we"ll be seeing some better stuff because of WoW opening up so much market for this kind of gaming. And I think the stuff we"ll be seeing will be including new ways to approach the orks and dorks milieu from new directions not dictated by Tolkien roadmaps.

I am just waiting for someone to tap William Gibson for a steam/cyber punk MMO. I actually copped wood writing that.

Sharmai_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
The next two major MMOs on the Horizon are WAR and AOC. We"ll see how they do since they both were pushed back.
I think they saw the vanguard hype train crash and tabula rasa beta implode and saw that you can"t just release a great potential product you have to release a great finished and tested product....

In the mmo world being a great success or mediocre/failure is a very very thin tight rope.

Ukerric_foh

shitlord
Venjenz said:
I am just waiting for someone to tap William Gibson for a steam/cyber punk MMO. I actually copped wood writing that.
Steampunk make a wonderful milieu for a MMO. You don"t have the problem of the "too" high tech which requires your designers to make contrived explanations of exactly why your hero isn"t firing spraying bursts of high penetrating uranium-coated projectiles (or whatever has a higher killrate than that). You can add whatever weird stuff you want to (with the proper skins).

Wonderful genre, steampunk.

I have my reservations on cyberpunk.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Gecko said:
This one interests me far more than two fantasy retreads:

The Agency
I 100% agree. I"m dieing to hear about it, they are having a bunch more info released come January.

SOE"s publicists aren"t telling me crap so far. But, all the info I hear through people working on the other SOE games say it is a pretty good game so far.