Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Froofy-D_foh

shitlord
Ukerric said:
Steampunk make a wonderful milieu for a MMO. You don"t have the problem of the "too" high tech which requires your designers to make contrived explanations of exactly why your hero isn"t firing spraying bursts of high penetrating uranium-coated projectiles (or whatever has a higher killrate than that).
Actually the high tech that is more problematic in modern/future MMOG settings is stuff like cars, airplanes, trains, space ships, etc. You either (a) have to implement them, or (b) have some valid reason why they don"t exist, or (c) players wonder why the fuck lightspeed travel exists yet players walk everywhere like cavemen.

That"s why a post-apocalyptic setting like Fallout would make a great MMOG world, since low-tech and high-tech can mingle yet there is a valid reason why you can"t get on the subway.

Bellstian_foh

shitlord
Dennadyne said:
am i the only one who has never heard of steampunk and cyberpunk? sounds like some of that emo shit or something. damn, i"m getting old.
No, cyberpunk is like Shadowrun or Blade Runner. Hmmm...how about a Shadowrun MMO made by bioware? One can always dream.

Kodylan_foh

shitlord
The Agency is still in fairly early development. I don"t expect the game to come out until 2009, so yeah -- WAR and AoC are the big boys of 2008.

The gameplay SOE showed off at Leipzig was pretty damn cool, but it wasn"t nearly enough to form a proper opinion of the game in terms of where it"s going in its style.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
They will be showing off new stuff at some convention early January.

Venjenz_foh

shitlord
Dennadyne said:
am i the only one who has never heard of steampunk and cyberpunk? sounds like some of that emo shit or something. damn, i"m getting old.
Read "Neuromancer" and then "Mona Lisa Overdrive" by William Gibson for a great background in all things cyberpunk.

For steampunk, think of the visuals and effects in "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" or really, what the world would like if gnomes took over. Toss in lots of guns and stuff.

The punk thing isn"t so much emo as it is making the distinction that characters aren"t slick and polished like the comic hero in spandex, but more gritty and dirty like in Blade Runner. Again, Read anything by Gibson, maybe Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams, stuff like that.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Wikipedia can explain it better than anyone. Blade Runner is also a good illustration.

Cyberpunk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Easy example of cyberpunk is Final Fantasy 7. The world and plot are both traditional cyberpunk (partly), mixed with fantasy of course. Taking place in the future/near modern time, against big corporations.

I think cyberpunk settings also have to include some form of dystopia.

If you don"t want to use too many brain cells figuring out what a Cyberpunk world might look like, check out Super Mario Bros the movie.

Northerner_foh

shitlord
It saddens me that "punk" and "emo" are so blended together in modern thought today. Don"t get me wrong, most punk was never really very punk but shit man, it was still a far cry from fucking emo.

Dennadyne_foh

shitlord
Northerner said:
It saddens me that "punk" and "emo" are so blended together in modern thought today. Don"t get me wrong, most punk was never really very punk but shit man, it was still a far cry from fucking emo.
i didn"t blend b/c I think they are the same, I just have no clue what any of that shit is. I guess i need to get a myspace account and wear makeup or something.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Dennadyne said:
i didn"t blend b/c I think they are the same, I just have no clue what any of that shit is. I guess i need to get a myspace account and wear makeup or something.
I"m with you. I read "emo" in a post awhile back and never looked it up, still haven"t and have no idea what it means so conversations about it are lost on me.
As RA stated, and I believe it, it"s all fantasy.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I never looked up emo, but I got the idea it"s a kid that wears all black, wears makeup, always look liked they got kicked in the balls, live in a big house in suburbia and cuts themselves for attention.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Emo = goth who cries a lot and cuts himself.

Cyberpunk = dark and gritty futuristic setting with implants and neurogadgets etc.

Steampunk = Fantasy with steam-powered technology basically. Think today"s inventions but done with 1800"s technology. And magic.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I vaguely remember Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars having some steampunk elements. The boss Smithy and his fortress were all steampunk inspired. Pure steampunk/cyberpunk hasn"t been very common in games.

How do you go from Legend of the Seven Stars to Paper Mario? Talk about a crash and burn concept. And going from a teen audience to a 10 year old audience made tons of sense. People were praying for the next Super Mario RPG, and the let-down was epic. Then they made a bunch of paper mario sequels instead of just going back to its roots.

Vithe_foh

shitlord
jayrebb said:
I vaguely remember Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars having some steampunk elements. The boss Smithy and his fortress were all steampunk inspired. Pure steampunk/cyberpunk hasn"t been very common in games.

How do you go from Legend of the Seven Stars to Paper Mario? Talk about a crash and burn concept. And going from a teen audience to a 10 year old audience made tons of sense. People were praying for the next Super Mario RPG, and the let-down was epic. Then they made a bunch of paper mario sequels instead of just going back to its roots.
The Mario & Luigi: Partner"s in Time was a lot like Super Mario RPG. I thought that game was kickass.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Vithe said:
The Mario & Luigi: Partner"s in Time was a lot like Super Mario RPG. I thought that game was kickass.
Will check it out, I interest after the first paper mario so I haven"t even heard of Partners in Time.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
What are you guys thoughts on the MMO death systems out there right now? What works? What sucks? What hasn"t been done but should be?