Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Northerner_foh

shitlord
It all comes back to balance again then Casti though. If content is balanced around all the players having that reward then the effect is exactly the same in the end.

I won"t deny that it is an important distinction though in the players" minds. I still chuckle at the uproar in WoW"s beta over rested experience and the concepts of bonus versus normal winning out over normal versus penalized... all while they were still determining overall levelling rates.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
@splok
Fair points. To each his own. And my definition of Basic Game is whatever it takes to reach max level and get a few shiny rewards along the way. Running single group dungeons is the maximum tier of effort.

---

On rewarding NOT dying. I think LOTRO had a pretty cool titling system that was really successful. One of those things was getting a unique title for reaching X level without dying.

Small things like that, that have no effect on gameplay, make people play over and over. I love the whole title and other achievements associated with LOTRO.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
I"ll throw another "hot topic".
Quest limits?
Why?
I get the tech side of this now, but from a design standpoint is there a reason for limiting the amount of quests I can have ongoing at one time?

I am more interested in players perspectives than solutions.

MrGraham_foh

shitlord
EQ2 had a massive quest limit, but the default UI had terrible organization of them. I see no point in a limit, but if you"re not going to have one please make sure you provide sufficient UI support to easily sort the ones you have.

Plorkyeran_foh

shitlord
The explaination that WoW CMs have given (other than the obvious technical one) is that they don"t want you to spend an hour or so running around picking up every quest in your level range, then just wandering around killing stuff until you have a huge pile of completed quests. By limiting the number of quests you can have at once, you"re forced to actually pay attention to what the quests are.

This seems fairly bullshit to me, though. Even with the limit you can often do exactly what they"re trying to prevent, and all that I"ve ever noticed the limit do is piss me off because I had to abandon some quests I was planning to do later.

If you were going for a more RPish approach a quest limit more along the lines of 5 (if not 1) would make sense, but in a game like WoW I don"t see any good reason from a design perspective to have a limit.

Venjenz_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
I"ll throw another "hot topic".
Quest limits?
Why?
I get the tech side of this now, but from a design standpoint is there a reason for limiting the amount of quests I can have ongoing at one time?

I am more interested in players perspectives than solutions.
From a design perspective, I"d look at it from the perspective of reading a fantasy or sci-fi novel. If the first 12 chapters were devoted to the background and lore of the 100 quests the hero was to undertake, would you be able to follow it? Would you want to? And in the next 24 chapters, when the hero accomplished whatever was required for smallQuest_63, would it make sense to you?

How often do we read either a developer claim or a forum griper"s rant about immersion? How immersive is it really to have so many quests that when you log off and then back in the next day, you can maybe remember one or two of the couple dozen active quests you"re working on? It"s nonsense really. Going back to the novel, you might have one main quest and some sideline extraneous stuff that occurs in the pursuit of accomplishing the main one. That covers 200-300 pages of the typical pulp fantasy rag. Now take a few quests that have overlapping purpose and characters, and you end up with, oh I don"t know, something like a bunch of books vaguely reminiscent of a dark elf ranger and his pals written by a guy I think you might have run into. How many "quest" type objectives span the Drizzt saga? It"s like two dozen or so spread over how many thousands of pages?

So from my perspective, the "million little quest to move the bar" theory sucks. I"d rather have long, involved quests that reward exp and meaningful gear at specific milestones, and the milestones themselves should have numerous paths for completion. Think Coldain shawl/ring, just with a lot more exp. Progressive difficulty, more than one specific target for completing most of the steps, and the final steps for each were tirggered and pretty well designed minus zone disruption, which is easily solved with instancing. Another cool thing about the Coldain quests was that they required tradeskilling and some amount of faction work, and some stuff could be solo"d, some single grouped, and the final parts at the time required a raid force. Change a few steps like the glowing biles from the shardwurms, and those quests were about as close to my definition of perfect as any MMO ever had. The epic 1.0s could have been great, but relied more on sitting in one spot and hoping that your target would spawn than anything else. So take every good idea you ever had about how you"d change those EQ1 epic 1.0 quests, and just add exp jumps at different completion points, as well as intermediate versions of the final epic weapon. That"s what I am talking about.

Another good example would be the Smarmy Sprocket quest line in EQ2. You started off on the ship and had to do 4 mini quests to get the ship to dock, then as you progressed into the pirate jail, the quest line expanded, but stayed within that instance. There was exp and gear rewards along the way, and it had a definitive beginning and end with a pretty good story all the way along. As big of a pain as most people thought it was, I really liked how you keyed for Onyxia. Start to finish, that was a really cool quest.

Don"t make the quest log bigger, make the quests better.

Rezz_foh

shitlord
If there"s going to be a limit of any kind on quests, it should be only on the "epic" type quests. The random "collect 10 orc ear" grind-hiding quests should be limitless. But you shouldn"t have quests to Slay the dragon boss of 3 different dungeons from totally different people at once. That removes the epicness of it all imo.

Rezz_foh

shitlord
I agree with Venjenz above for the most part. I dislike the concept of do 300 totally forgetable quests instead of grinding. I"d rather have a few super long "chain" type quests that constantly keep branching out but are still part of the same major storyline with that quest.

But if you are gonna go the happymeal of quests style that WoW went, go with more far reaching goals at the head of each group of chud quests. You collect 10 orc ears, they send you to collect orc weapons. Some other guy in town hears about your orc slaying prowress and wants you to collect some orc battle plans. When you finish both lines it opens up a quest to stop the orc invasions, maybe culminating in an instance or whatever type of content you"re focusing on. That kind of stuff is awesome. Much better than the 6 million filler quests in WoW imo.

Gaereth_foh

shitlord
Well, if we use the WOW system as an example, the larger the number of quests that you can see and pick up the less most people tend to read them. A very large number of people don"t even bother to read the quests, other than the requirements, and treat them as something that moves your exp along rather than part of the story. Coincidently a lot of these folks are the same people that bitch about there being no story in the game...but thats besides the point.

I know that for me a static number of quests in the 15-25 range is about all that I want at a time. If I had the ability to stack 100 quests it would get overwhelming to me and I would spend more time trying to figure out what to do rather than just doing stuff.

I personally prefer to have a few things to do, finish them, pick up a few more, finish them, and work my way through an area like that. The more quests that people get at a time the more disconnected you actually get from the quests. For some people thats great...they don"t like the damn things in the first place and they are merely a means to an end. For others it gets a bit overwhelming to have so many and doesn"t feel like you can relax and just work your way through the area.

Venjenz_foh

shitlord
Rezz said:
But you shouldn"t have quests to Slay the dragon boss of 3 different dungeons from totally different people at once. That removes the epicness of it all imo.
Once again, think Velious and think ToV. Add in tangible exp rewards, and it"s close to perfect.

Venjenz_foh

shitlord
Gaereth said:
I personally prefer to have a few things to do, finish them, pick up a few more, finish them, and work my way through an area like that.
Best example of that I can think of right now would be Darklight Wood or GFay in EQ2.
Gaereth said:
The more quests that people get at a time the more disconnected you actually get from the quests. For some people thats great...they don"t like the damn things in the first place and they are merely a means to an end. For others it gets a bit overwhelming to have so many and doesn"t feel like you can relax and just work your way through the area.
Best example of that I can think of is the rest of EQ2, minus Darklight Wood and GFay.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
There"s no reason from the players point of view for quest limitations. However from a developer point of view it allows you to tell a story more precisely I would imagine.

Also as a player, some people can load up on quests and begin to become overwelmed with things to do and end up wandering around with no direction. Not a good thing your first time around in a game. If you can control the population flow of a new person then you have more control over their journey and first impression. Steer them in the right direction so to speak.

Good example would be EVE. It"s pretty intimidating to a new person when they enter the world and they have 100"s of skill choices and 100"s of different items to chose from or even look at.

Perhaps a good solution would be to give a person X amount of quest spots at the beginning and slowly expand it as they level up if it becomes an issue later on.

Dennadyne_foh

shitlord
Here"s an example why I think there should be a harsh quest limit.

Last night I was playing WoW, this was only my 2nd night playing it ever. I logged on my freshly made paladin and grabbed some quests. Within an hour I had about 12 quests and had completed roughly 10 others. Now obviously these are as far from epic or detailed as you can get, being level 1-5 quests, but here"s the thing: All I cared about was accomplishing the listed task. Why? Well, when your UI just tells you to kill 6 zombies, slay 5 bats, run over yonder and talk to this ranger guy, etc. it makes it hard to care about the test you read 15 minutes ago from one of 4 quest givers. When you have 10 lists on your UI telling you do this stuff! it just takes away from the actual quest.

I like the idea of focusing on a very limited amount of quests at a time. I guess I just don"t like the "hi, follow these perfectly laid out steps and we"ll reward you" type quests either. This is not a rant on wow, because it"s exactly the same in EQ2 and pretty similar in Vanguard as well.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Hey if you are a student at a massachusetts college and in the gaming curriculum stay tuned to our website for an announcement.
We are launching the 1st annual massachusetts game challenge this week.

Azzikai_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
I"m not sure what you dislike? You just want one quest at a time and no side quests? Similar to a single player RPG?
I won"t speak for him but I agree with him. When I play WoW on a lowbie I feel like I"m doing a list of chores or something. Kill 5 bears? Check. Pick up 7 tree branches? Check. Then I run back to the quest dispenser machine and wait for my reward pellet. It feels completely and utterly mechanical.

There is a place for the kill/collect/carry tasks in games but having them as some shopping list sitting in my "quest" journal? No thanks. That journal should be for proper quests, where having notes on what you"ve already learned makes sense. Quests should be interactive and lengthy.

Tasks should be plentiful and have no limit. If I collect 10 swatches of cloth I"m sure the local tailor would give me stuff for them or tell me who to see. Make me interact with something other than a pretty graphical list.

I realize that I"m mostly arguing semantics here but it is something that irritates me about WoW and the games that try and copy it. They build these pretty worlds filled with NPCs then they don"t use them.

Anyway, if the game is going to do quests a la WoW then don"t have a limit. If I have to have a laundry list of tasks to do I want to be able to put as many on it as I want /shrug

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Rezz said:
I agree with Venjenz above for the most part. I dislike the concept of do 300 totally forgetable quests instead of grinding. I"d rather have a few super long "chain" type quests that constantly keep branching out but are still part of the same major storyline with that quest.

But if you are gonna go the happymeal of quests style that WoW went, go with more far reaching goals at the head of each group of chud quests. You collect 10 orc ears, they send you to collect orc weapons. Some other guy in town hears about your orc slaying prowress and wants you to collect some orc battle plans. When you finish both lines it opens up a quest to stop the orc invasions, maybe culminating in an instance or whatever type of content you"re focusing on. That kind of stuff is awesome. Much better than the 6 million filler quests in WoW imo.
They actually have a lot of quests and hubs exactly like this in WoW.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Azzikai said:
I won"t speak for him but I agree with him. When I play WoW on a lowbie I feel like I"m doing a list of chores or something. Kill 5 bears? Check. Pick up 7 tree branches? Check. Then I run back to the quest dispenser machine and wait for my reward pellet. It feels completely and utterly mechanical.

There is a place for the kill/collect/carry tasks in games but having them as some shopping list sitting in my "quest" journal? No thanks. That journal should be for proper quests, where having notes on what you"ve already learned makes sense. Quests should be interactive and lengthy.

Tasks should be plentiful and have no limit. If I collect 10 swatches of cloth I"m sure the local tailor would give me stuff for them or tell me who to see. Make me interact with something other than a pretty graphical list.

I realize that I"m mostly arguing semantics here but it is something that irritates me about WoW and the games that try and copy it. They build these pretty worlds filled with NPCs then they don"t use them.

Anyway, if the game is going to do quests a la WoW then don"t have a limit. If I have to have a laundry list of tasks to do I want to be able to put as many on it as I want /shrug
So you would rather have two sections in a journal or quest log that has "Quests" and "Task" just divide them into two different windows? I think you"re just arguing semantics like you said.

LOTRO did a good job where they had "quests" for each zone. Then "Chapter Quests" that drove the story.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Twobit Whore said:
They actually have a lot of quests and hubs exactly like this in WoW.
And to reiterate, that is all you do in TBC. That describes WOW 2.0 to a tee perfectly. (As well as the two new Blood Elf and Draenei starting areas.)

They learned a lot with during the first part of the game.

Dennadyne_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
I"m not sure what you dislike? You just want one quest at a time and no side quests? Similar to a single player RPG?
I can"t really say. I like the feeling of a longer more drawn out quest that doesn"t tell you exactly what to do and have a neat little checklist to hold your hand. Make the reward bigger for a quest that uses your brain. Simple kill 5 bugs quests don"t really do it for me.

I realize that"s not exactly feasible in all aspects of the game, just my preference.