Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

hamrlik_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Please don"t put the blame for the steroid era on the commissioner. While I would probably agree there was much more that could have been done by the powers that be,ignoring the true culprit does no one any good.
Jose Canseco?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Ngruk said:
Please don"t put the blame for the steroid era on the commissioner. While I would probably agree there was much more that could have been done by the powers that be, ignoring the true culprit does no one any good.

The players that chose to cheat and break the law are the ones to blame, and I think there is most likely an argument against players like me as well, players that just KNEW there was something going on, even though I have never seen it first hand, and through my and our inaction allowed it to grow and become the culture instead of standing up and voicing an opinion to stop it.
I don"t see how anyone could possibly blame you...look, we all know its about money. Whenever there is big money in something, people will and do find a way to cheat. Thats not going to change no matter how many Mitchell reports are done. You could hardly be expected to risk millions of dollars standing up for something you have no direct proof of...

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
RJ will go down as arguably one of the 3-4 most dominating strike out pitchers that ever lived, if not the most dominating. Josh still has his legacy to craft but I wouldn"t bet against him.
My favorite at bat ever was John Kruk against Randy Johnson during an All Star game (I forget which year, unfortunately).

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Ngruk said:
Please don"t put the blame for the steroid era on the commissioner. While I would probably agree there was much more that could have been done by the powers that be, ignoring the true culprit does no one any good.

The players that chose to cheat and break the law are the ones to blame, and I think there is most likely an argument against players like me as well, players that just KNEW there was something going on, even though I have never seen it first hand, and through my and our inaction allowed it to grow and become the culture instead of standing up and voicing an opinion to stop it.
i don"t put the blame entirely on selig, however i believe that he knew what was going on and turned a blind eye to it. that to me makes him just as guilty as everyone else. i know people will always try and cheat, but for whatever reason baseball refused to even acknowledge that it was going on, like all of a sudden it came out of nowhere. football had been testing for steroids for years, same with the olympic committee and many other sports leagues. i was only a young teenager in the early 90"s but even i could tell which players were juicing (lenny dystra, brady anderson, jose canseco, etc...) when the players" forearms are as big as their thighs, it"s really pretty easy to tell. my point is something should have been done when this problem was still in its infancy and the league should not have waited for congress to intervene to clean up the sport.

p.s. i live in philadelphia now and have season tickets, please come back and pitch for us!!!

Gecko_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
I just started getting into Martin last year. As far as delivering plausible characters, I"d argue that while Martin may do it, the fact of the matter for me is that by page 22 he"s introduced 11,423 of them to me and I can"t remember who"s who.
I"ll bet when you finish the entire series, you"ll end up a huge George RR Martin fan, like most fantasy people our age. I"d take your time as the man doesn"t seem in a rush to finish it, which is maddening. Martin also certainly likes to do the unpredictable.

In regards to Salvatore, he doesn"t write deep literature with hooks into classics, just light, but good fantasy fluff. It is what it is, so either enjoy it or don"t, as with any novel. I like in depth books, and read nonstop in all genre"s, and also have no problems with Bob Salvatore"s work in my collection.

There"s a reason many people enjoy Salvatore"s work, and his in depth Drow society storytelling and fantasy creations lend themselves nicely to MMO development, I think. It"s just surprising he wasn"t more involved in the TSR/AD&D MMO process.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Martin is an author you"ll need to read at least the entirety of the first book to appreciate, imo. By the end of chapter two I was still thinking "sigh here we go, another ride on the generic fantasy train." By the end of book 1 I was hooked, and he easily had a place as one of the best writers in the genre, in my mind.

Traldan_foh

shitlord
Azrayne said:
Martin is an author you"ll need to read at least the entirety of the first book to appreciate, imo. By the end of chapter two I was still thinking "sigh here we go, another ride on the generic fantasy train." By the end of book 1 I was hooked, and he easily had a place as one of the best writers in the genre, in my mind.
Indeed, I agree. It"s not as quick and easy to get into, but his story is incredibly captivating. Although maddening at times, his willingness to kill off characters makes the overarching plot both more interesting and more plausible. Instead of the typical one person winning against all odds, the focus of the books constantly change - there are always several main characters, but it changes through the books.

I haven"t read Salvatore at all, so I can"t comment on his works, but Martin"s works are quite engaging and well worth the read.

Lonin_foh

shitlord
Once you finish with Martin, try Erickson, probably the best "overlooked" author in the genre IMO.

On another note, I just looked at what it would cost to fly to SD and spend 3 nights there, $1100, yuck.

Lonin_foh

shitlord
Very cool vid, the animation did look good, and the orc (?) looked nice as well from what you could see. Instantly reminded me of the Vanguard orc model in general style (which I like). I know it"s reading too much into it at this stage in development, but the art direction looked like a nice compromise between LoTRO and more realistic approaches.

What"s the reaction like from the non-gaming press Curt? Do they kind of just nod their head and play it off as kids stuff, or do they seem genuinely interested, or maybe they think you"re insane for putting so much money into a video game?

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Agraza said:
. . I"m sure Salvatore is a great guy, and he can write better than I can, but I like my novels to be more heavy hitting than he cares to deliver. That says almost nothing about his potential as a loremaster for your game, or whatever your team refers to him as. I don"t respect his fantasy novels, but I respect that he has helped the genre along, so I suppose that I don"t disrespect him as a person. I think that is the correct term. .
Agraza stfu already. Maybe Curt feels compelled not to call you a dumbfuck, but I sure as hell have no problem. Fine you don"t like an author"s novels for whatever personal reasons you might have. That"s a personal choice ONLY, and publishing companies certainly disagree with your retarded assessment. But it is beyond contestation that Salvatore is a quality author, despite your anonymous, shallow critique. He is clearly one of the main draws to Studio 38"s potential. Their eventual game products may suck for a variety of reasons (and I won"t hesitate to critisize them if they do), but at least the IP is worth keeping an eye on BECAUSE of Salvatore being on board.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Quite frankly, I"m with Agraza in his assessment of Salvatore. I"ve never read anything of his that was much beyond the typical "D&D novelization" standard. I"ve certainly never seen anything of his that would lead me to believe he"s going to do something spectacular with the IP, to the contrary.

But perhaps he"ll surprise us, stranger things have happened.

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Azrayne said:
Quite frankly, I"m with Agraza in his assessment of Salvatore. I"ve never read anything of his that was much beyond the typical "D&D novelization" standard. I"ve certainly never seen anything of his that would lead me to believe he"s going to do something spectacular with the IP, to the contrary.

But perhaps he"ll surprise us, stranger things have happened.
Whether you liked his novels or not is personal. But I"d back him any day of the week over anonymous bloggers like you or Agraza. Time, of course, will tell. But Agraza throwing terms like "I don"t respect" a person because he didn"t like Salvatore"s novels, is ignorant at best.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
The Hiram Key said:
The model looked good as well. Not too real, not too fantasy.
I can"t help but laugh at the amount of coverage that 10 seconds of animation got.

It"s amazing the interest people have in "just seeing something".

The animation you saw was more for animations sake than style.

BTW that animator is one of the more talented ones around, with a very lengthy award winning pedigree of titles under his belt, his names Aaron Carlson.

Our group of animators is absolutely fantastic, even more so as a team.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Lonin said:
Very cool vid, the animation did look good, and the orc (?) looked nice as well from what you could see. Instantly reminded me of the Vanguard orc model in general style (which I like). I know it"s reading too much into it at this stage in development, but the art direction looked like a nice compromise between LoTRO and more realistic approaches.

What"s the reaction like from the non-gaming press Curt? Do they kind of just nod their head and play it off as kids stuff, or do they seem genuinely interested, or maybe they think you"re insane for putting so much money into a video game?
Honestly? I"ve done an incredible amount of press so far, on everything from the startup to why the hell I am doing this.

The amazing part for me is that many members of the media don"t understand that at the end of the interview when they look across the table and basically state "Wow, you were so much smarter than I expected you to be", they offend me.

That won"t change, many people come here for the circus factor they believe is present. When we don"t allow them to video behind our entry way, or when we talk in depth about our roll out plan for the IP, project development, all of it, they look at me like I"ve got 5 eyes or something. They are all still expecting the dumb jock with two creative geniuses to be standing around shouting orders.

When they realize we aren"t f"ing around and understand we are guarding what we believe to be a multi-billion dollar IP, they seem to be taken back and unsure of where to go after that.