Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Another thing to consider about PVP...is how many do it simply because it"s an easy way to get purple gear. I don"t like PVP and I put my 10 arena games a week for my epic gear.

Seeing how many afk, and the huge problems afkers are in BG...I think it also shows that people do it because it"s an easy way to get gear rather then actually wanting to do it, or enjoying it...if they were they wouldn"t afk.

Still, pvp and raiding...even if not played by the majority, and in some case raidng even just done by a small minority. Having that type of content brings in some people, and even give other players different options to just change the routine...even though they might not care wether there is pvp or raiding.

Rezz_foh

shitlord
For what reason do they pvp though? Some of the furthest progressed raid guilds in the game are on PVP servers, would their focus be PVP or PVE?

It comes down to a bit more than simply what label the server has. Also you have to figure into the equation the universal appeal of "the best" gear the game has to offer, which for pure effort input the PVP gear is heaps easier to attain (sans s3 shoulder/weapon comparatively) than even karazan quality gear. How many of the hardcore PVP server types are there really, and how many of those pvp servers are constantly complaining about underpopulation aside from the few meccas of pvp-dom?

Combine that with the fact that the vast majority of developed content for WoW is PVE based (re-used armor skins with different stats do not count as content) and I"d hazard to guess that the real "focus" of WoW is the PVE aspect, not the pvp.

I mean seriously, 3 arenas and 4 BGs worth of content compared to..... 2 continents and an alternate dimension or whatever outland is?

Rezz_foh

shitlord
Maxxius said:
Of course it isn"t. Half the servers are pvp servers. The other servers are carebear pvp games. You honestly think WOW would have anywhere near the subs it does if it was a completely pve game? Plus you miss the whole point of the topic regarding twinking. You can"t argue PVE twinking is ok and PVP twinking isnt and then call WOW a PVE game.
WoW is both a PVP and a PVE game, where the majority of developed content is designed for the PVE player.

The only reason PVP twinking is an issue is because of the hybridization of the system combat system to fit both. Remove the capability for pve gear to have any impact in PVP and you negate the possibility for PVE gear on low level pvp twinks to negatively affect the low level PVP realm. Do the same for enhancements added to gear and voila, problem solved. But the reason there -is- a problem is because of the fact that the game is both with the focus on PVE.

edit - Look at it another way. Remove the honor for losses and the arena point gains for beating lower ranked teams. How many people would partake of the PVP content then?

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Rezz no one said WOW isn"t both. The point is that the PVP is the real draw. If wow was solely pve you know darn well it would never have drawn the sub numbers. Why you say the focus is on pve is beyond me. First about HALF the servers are pvp. Second alot play on the pve servers TO PVP (via BGs and arena) without the whole griefing of a pure pvp server. Sure there are people who want no part of pvp. But please make no mistake about it, it is the pvp that drew the numbers to the game NOT the pve.

miber_foh

shitlord
Maxxius said:
Rezz no one said WOW isn"t both. The point is that the PVP is the real draw. If wow was solely pve you know darn well it would never have drawn the sub numbers. Why you say the focus is on pve is beyond me. First about HALF the servers are pvp. Second alot play on the pve servers TO PVP (via BGs and arena) without the whole griefing of a pure pvp server. Sure there are people who want no part of pvp. But please make no mistake about it, it is the pvp that drew the numbers to the game NOT the pve.
Your argument is kinda pointless. There"s no way to tell how WoW would fare if it was somehow 100% PvE or 100% PvP. It would simply be a different game, especially if it were the latter. And I doubt it would attract nearly the amount of players it has, if it was just one or the other.

Then again, I"m not sure why we"re even arguing about this.

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Hardly pointless. Had two points which you obviously missed. Frist, PVP is the draw to the game, not PVE. So if you want to dethrone WOW don"t go straight pve or you wind up niche. And second point was we were talking about twinking, where I was arguing that pve twinking is ok, but pvp twinking was not. So please if you want to debate fine, but don"t throw words around like "pointless" when you truly don"t understand what it means.

splok_foh

shitlord
Ok, first, I probably low balled the % a bit, but not by much, and I probably should have said pure or non-consentual pvp, since battlegrounds aren"t quite the same as a pvp server, but even still, of those who are in battlegrounds, how many would be there if it was just for fun and not a gear grind in pretty much the same way that pve is? I would guess that were people able to do a pve grind that guaranteed them the same gear in the same amount of time, a huge number of battlegrounders would be very happily grinding away at their mobs instead.

Rezz said:
Also you have to figure into the equation the universal appeal of "the best" gear the game has to offer, which for pure effort input the PVP gear is heaps easier to attain (sans s3 shoulder/weapon comparatively) than even karazan quality gear. How many of the hardcore PVP server types are there really, and how many of those pvp servers are constantly complaining about underpopulation aside from the few meccas of pvp-dom?

Combine that with the fact that the vast majority of developed content for WoW is PVE based (re-used armor skins with different stats do not count as content) and I"d hazard to guess that the real "focus" of WoW is the PVE aspect, not the pvp.

I mean seriously, 3 arenas and 4 BGs worth of content compared to..... 2 continents and an alternate dimension or whatever outland is?
exactly

Valderen said:
Another thing to consider about PVP...is how many do it simply because it"s an easy way to get purple gear. I don"t like PVP and I put my 10 arena games a week for my epic gear.

Seeing how many afk, and the huge problems afkers are in BG...I think it also shows that people do it because it"s an easy way to get gear rather then actually wanting to do it, or enjoying it...if they were they wouldn"t afk.
also exactly

Senen said:
Thats the documentation I"d like to see specificaly in relation to WoW.
Sure, but I did mention that it might be different for wow concerning the battlegrounds since because of the above reasons. However, according to ten ton hammer"s census statistics on the raw number of characters (over lv 10), pvp and rpvp servers have about 1.7M characters compared to the total of 6.37M. That"s about 25% of raw characters, though if you were to calculate the actual hours spent per server, I bet that number would fall significantly since I suspect that a huge number of people who primarily play pve will occasionally roll a pvp character to try it out.

Ngruk said:
Ouch, that"s gonna hurt on this board. Unless you can site someone with direct access to Blizzard and subscriber information I don"t think you can come anywhere close to validating that one.

I don"t know how many servers in WoW are PvP, I hear half, if you conclude (which I don"t think you can) that every server on both sides is maxxed out population wise it would put the PvP number at 50% no?

I think 50% is high, but that is absolute speculation with no back up...
First, I didn"t say WoW specifically. I meant players in general, as in all players of online games. Also, from the above numbers, it would seem that if half of the servers are pvp, then they have a far smaller population than typical server, and from my limited pvp experience, that would seem to make sense. I would pop on and check a few servers for comparison if I had a active WoW account, but anyone who disagrees can feel free.

miber said:
So well documented that you"d have no issue providing a few sources on that, right?
yup, but first, just think back to all the games that have come and gone. How have the ones that focused heavily on pvp done? How have pvp servers done in comparison to the others (oh, those glorious Zeks!)?

Andrew Rollings and Ernest Adams on Game Design said:
Approximately 80% of the players chose to play in non-PvP shards. [in uo]

Koster estimates that this approach [meaning, no pvp allowed at all] will cost you up to 20% of your potential audience, those who like PvP.
Developing Online Games: An Insider"s Guide By Jessica Mulligan said:
55-60% of players in both the general population and those playing for-pay games classify themselves primarily as socializers and explorers.

For three of the five commercial games, 20% or fewer of the players rate themselves as killers, with 26% for UO and 25% for Dark Age of Camelot, two games that are attractive to the killer class of player due to the faction-based conflict inherent within their designs.

What this says is that, even if you build a game heavily weighted toward the killer classes via PvP and faction or team/guild conflict, chances are you"re going to be attractive to only 20-25% of the total player base.
Game Design said:
Games that are based on player vs. player skill have classically had problems in attracting wider audiences than games where mere persistence can help you succeed (e.g. Compare PvP RPGs vs. cooperative ones, or the number of people playing FPSs online versus playing them at home). This is because people dislike getting crushed.

oh and lawl, I"d like to see some sources for this heh:
Maxxius said:
But please make no mistake about it, it is the pvp that drew the numbers to the game NOT the pve.

miber_foh

shitlord
Maxxius said:
Hardly pointless. Had two points which you obviously missed. Frist, PVP is the draw to the game, not PVE. So if you want to dethrone WOW don"t go straight pve or you wind up niche. And second point was we were talking about twinking, where I was arguing that pve twinking is ok, but pvp twinking was not. So please if you want to debate fine, but don"t throw words around like "pointless" when you truly don"t understand what it means.
Your first point is "pointless," because you can"t prove it.

As for your second point, I agree. People seem to be disagreeing mainly with "WoW being a PvP game" - rather than "WoW should be classified as a PvP game as far as twinking is concerned (i.e. twinking = bad)."

Although, it"s also plenty of a PvE game, so I don"t think twinking needs to be nonexistent in such a game, just have it"s effect on PvP removed/limited.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Those sources seem to be rather old and by people I have never heard of. They are almost assuredly pre-WoW and don"t take into account many factors. Primarily, the type of game. You could point to EQ and say "they only had 4 PvP servers at peak", but EQ PvP sucked bad. That UO quote is funny, because I could turn around and say that 100% of UO players played on a PvP servers at one point in time (a very popular point for the game) because it was all PvP servers. Or rather you could attack anything and anyone at any time. There were no PvE servers until they revamped it.

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Splok, sources are simple. Despite the fact that you like to simply pull numbers out of your ass, it is beyiond debate that half the servers are pvp. It is also deyond debate that many of those pvp servers are HIGH population (simply do a check, easy enough). It is also beyond debate that the Battlenet crowd were the core draw when WOW came out ( not your EQ weenies). Listen to you and Curt"s game becomes nothing but NICHE. You HAVE to have a pvp focus if you want WOW"s subs. This is not debatable, cry all you want.

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
miber said:
Your first point is "pointless," because you can"t prove it.

As for your second point, I agree. . . .
You truly don"t understand what "pointless" means then. And THEN you acknowledge a second "point." /boggled

miber_foh

shitlord
Maxxius said:
You truly don"t understand what "pointless" means then. And THEN you acknowledge a second "point." /boggled
I don"t mean that, literally, you"re "point" is "pointless." I meant that it"s pointless for you to try to claim something you cannot prove.

Pretend like instead of saying "pointless" I said "unproductive" or "futile," if it"s really that big of a deal to you.
splok said:
yup, but first, just think back to all the games that have come and gone. How have the ones that focused heavily on pvp done? How have pvp servers done in comparison to the others (oh, those glorious Zeks!)?
PvP servers in WoW make up roughly half the population. So what if PvP in EverQuest wasn"t popular? It"s a small percentage of players in relation to WoW, and was the definition of a PvE game with PvP tacked on as an afterthought.

And that doesn"t still explain this:
splok said:
...only about 15% of players are really interested in pvp (even in primarily pvp focused games).
Only about 15% of the players, in PvP focused games, are interested in PvP?

splok_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
Those sources seem to be rather old and by people I have never heard of. They are almost assuredly pre-WoW and don"t take into account many factors. Primarily, the type of game. You could point to EQ and say "they only had 4 PvP servers at peak", but EQ PvP sucked bad.
Heh, so the things that people enjoy in games have changed radically since the release of WoW? Seems unlikely. Also, just because you haven"t heard of someone, their books are useless? Nice. Try some google:

Jessica Mulligan is a 20 year veteran of the online gaming sector. She most recently worked for Turbine, Inc., developer of such titles as Asheron"s Call and Asheron"s Call 2 as Executive Producer and Creative Director of that company"s Los Angeles studio. Prior to joining Turbine, Ms. Mulligan held a variety of industry positions, including President of the Themis Group, Director of Operations for MM3D, Inc. and as a Director on Ultima Online for Origin Systems.
Jessica Mulligan has been involved in the design, development, and/or post-launch management of more than 50 online games, including ADD: NeverWinter Nights on AOL, Descent Online, Anarchy Online, and Ultima Online.
So not credible just because you aren"t familiar with her? Right.

Twobit Whore said:
That UO quote is funny, because I could turn around and say that 100% of UO players played on a PvP servers at one point in time (a very popular point for the game) because it was all PvP servers. Or rather you could attack anything and anyone at any time. There were no PvE servers until they revamped it.
If there"s no choice, people that dislike pvp do other things, but that doesn"t mean 100% of people enjoy pvp. Apparently only 20% enjoyed PvP enough to stick with it when the choice was offered...

Maxxius said:
Splok, sources are simple. Despite the fact that you like to simply pull numbers out of your ass, it is beyiond debate that half the servers are pvp. It is also deyond debate that many of those pvp servers are HIGH population (simply do a check, easy enough). It is also beyond debate that the Battlenet crowd were the core draw when WOW came out ( not your EQ weenies). Listen to you and Curt"s game becomes nothing but NICHE. You HAVE to have a pvp focus if you want WOW"s subs. This is not debatable, cry all you want.
If sources are simple, where are yours? Half of the servers are pvp, so even if the average population is the same on both pvp and pve servers (though from the census info this doesn"t seem to be the case... you can say that "many" are high pop, but all that matters are the totals, not a few servers that happen to be super crowed), you"re saying that a game with half the draw of WoW is niche? Ok, but that"s a niche most people would be ecstatic with.

miber said:
And that doesn"t still explain this:
Only about 15% of the players, in PvP focused games, are interested in PvP?
I admitted that I low balled the number a bit, but the above quotes point to 20%-25% for UO and DAoC which were certainly pvp focused, and the census numbers point to 25% for WoW (though I still believe that"s high for previously stated reasons) which at least some people seem to think is pvp focused hehe.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Only 5% of people who play Counterstrike are all about pvp, true story!

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Ngruk said:
I don"t know how many servers in WoW are PvP, I hear half, if you conclude (which I don"t think you can) that every server on both sides is maxxed out population wise it would put the PvP number at 50% no?

I think 50% is high, but that is absolute speculation with no back up...
There are a number of reasons why considering PvP in WoW is a whole different ballgame compared to considering PvP to any other game presently developed.

Its significant that WoW is over three years old and has only released one expansion. People find the game fun and they want to keep playing so folks end up playing PvP.

Plus those Blizzard guys know better than anybody what they are doing when it comes to developing hooks in their games. People still buy and play Diablo I and II in significant numbers, just because of the ridiculous rarity of some of the items and runes. Consider Diablo was one of THE first Windows games, such that they got stick for not making it DOS based, yet it is still selling.

The hooks they put in place set their PvP apart. Arenas, Battlegrounds, honor, a point system and rewards for even losing. Plus the original game was as "safe" as PvP can get in that all areas were viewed as belonging to one of the two PvP affiliations and you could often expect to be "reasonably safe" in your own areas.

Like much of their game, individual components won"t work in other games unless you adopt a series of strategies to go alongside it. Most of all, like the rest of the game, its FUN !!!!!

I don"t care whether PvP is implemented in a game or not. Historically PvP has been attractive to a small faction of players. If you do it it has to be fun in a way regular PvP isn"t.

A far more important question to me and, I bet, most players is (excuse me for shouting but I really want this to stand out from the rest of my post) -

HOW MUCH ARE PVE CLASSES BALANCED FOR THE PVP ENVIRONMENT ?

Ukerric_foh

shitlord
Horse said:
Uh,

Isn"t the "state of mind" one that meticulously and intelligently organizes and implements the various methods and formalisms at your disposal?
Yup. But that"s the important part. Unless you have people with quality in their mind, no matter how much processes and documentation is written, it"s not going to make quality work.

As an example, in Alcatel, I was tasked with measuring the code/comment ratio. Quality code means commenting (among other things). I was among the highest ratios (meaning low comment). The guy with the best quality code produced comments like this:
Code:/* * Add 1 to the number of processed devices */lprocess += 1;And that would go on for each and every line. The result was, of course, unreadable, the structure of the code was completely obscured under a shitload of comments.

But he was rewarded (ok, just a metaphoric pat on the back), because he commented the code.
Thus, wouldn"t the expansion of their question be "yeah, no shit, what state of mind produces quality and how do you enable it?"
That is a question the real quality-minded guys ask. The ISO9001 guys ask only if you have kept properly archived the ratio above, i.e. did you have an official process, and do you make sure you follow it (I"m simplifying, but that"s the gist).

Thinking altruistically, I"m pretty sure that anyone who cares about their work has the mindset that they"re trying to do it well.
After 20 years in the software industry, I can tell you those guys are relatively rare. And, I suspect, that"s true in any industry, alas. For most people, their work is "just a job". Even doctors. Even programmers.

Ukerric_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
Over half of the US servers are PvP. If you assume that everyone on a PvP server does some PvP then consider how many people on PvE servers do arena and battlegrounds, it"s easy to conclude that more than half of WoW players participate in PvP.
Maybe, but the real question asked is:

How many of these people wouldn"t have come to WoW if there was zero PvP?

Nobody is saying that adding PvP to a PvE-centric game wasn"t good. But WoW is a PvE-centric game first and foremost, and PvP was bolted on it, with all the attendant problems of such.

Think about it: If WoW had only PvP, or WoW had only PvE, without the other... which of those two games would have the biggest subs? I"m pretty sure... it wouldn"t be the PvP one.

Ukerric_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
because I could turn around and say that 100% of UO players played on a PvP servers at one point in time (a very popular point for the game) because it was all PvP servers. Or rather you could attack anything and anyone at any time. There were no PvE servers until they revamped it.
Exactly. And you know exactly why they revamped it? Because their customers were leaving. Shows how much they wanted to PvP, despite being on PvP servers.