Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Lyenae_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
Then maybe you aren"t one of those "many people"?
I"m just not one of those many people who fall for retarded arguments like...

1) WoW is popular
2) If a feature isn"t in WoW it"s not popular
3) That feature isn"t in WoW
4) That feature isn"t popular

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Lyenae said:
I"m just not one of those many people who fall for retarded arguments like...

1) WoW is popular
WoW is popular.

2) If a feature isn"t in WoW it"s not popular
No one here has said such that I am aware of.

3) That feature isn"t in WoW
4) That feature isn"t popular
Same nonsense as number 2.

If you want to argue that WoW isn"t popular and hasn"t blown the MMO genre wide open, and if you want to argue that millions of more people than ever before aren"t playing in a PvP environment that doesn"t entail real loss then go ahead. You would be silly to do so.

Games that have had a PvP system previously described have pretty much not acheived any success. UO and EVE are the only two and UO actually revamped the whole system on more than one occaison because they were losing people to PvE games. Having your shit packed in, your stuff stolen and your corpse dismembered and cooked on an open fire may be cool for some but for the vast majority.. it"s not.

Lyenae_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
Having your shit packed in, your stuff stolen and your corpse dismembered and cooked on an open fire may be cool for some but for the vast majority.. it"s not.
No one likes having that done to them. We"ve already established that. No one in UO, Shadowbane, etc... ENJOYED being a victim of that. How you go from an option people don"t like being the victim of to outright saying that the ability to do that is the lunacy I"m trying to understand.

Claiming that WoW, with all its strengths (lore, gameplay, dummy proof, ease of use, etc... which you apparently can attest to) and "benign" pvp, is vastly successful to other MMO"s, with all their weaknesses (but the only one that apparently matters to you is the "harsher" ) not being as successful... is about as apple to oranges as you can get.

A fair direct comparison would have been "harsher" WoW PvP servers at the start.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
The whole topic was that people would do MMO PvP if it wasn"t so harsh. Maybe you weren"t keeping up. WoW has shown that more people do like PvP under WoW circumstances than they did under say, EQ Zek cicrumstances. UOs mass exoduses to EQ"s PvE oriented gameplay showed that given the option they would rather not PvP at all than be a part of UO"s system.

We are talking about a potential competitor to WoW here. Not another EVE. Not a niche MMO. It"s about what it would take to appeal to the masses and harsh PvP penalites will not do it.. imo of course.

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Lyenae said:
. . .Claiming that WoW, with all its strengths (lore, gameplay, dummy proof, ease of use, etc... which you apparently can attest to) and "benign" pvp, is vastly successful to other MMO"s, with all their weaknesses (but the only one that apparently matters to you is the "harsher" ) not being as successful... is about as apple to oranges as you can get.

A fair direct comparison would have been "harsher" WoW PvP servers at the start.
It might be apples to oranges when concerning the degree of the harshness of given games" pvp to each other, but when discussing which has larger market appeal, the answer seems obvious, which is what we were discussing.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
I think this is problem with alot of this generation.

Most are a bunch of fucking pussies. Not just about video games, but about everything. The appeal of WoW is that there are never any losers. Nobody ever has too feel bad and everyone walks away with a big bag of goodies.

It is a very symbolic measure of the problem as a whole. This is the generation that has mommies and daddies calling Law Schools and Medical schools yelling at the board because their precious angels didnt get in. This is the generation where everyone got a trophy at the end of the season, and kids played soccer because football is too rough of a sport. This the generation who stayed inside watching TV and playing video games rather than going out in the neighborhood fighting, playing tackle football, breaking their arms on makeshift jumps for their bikes, and having to walk to school.

This is the generation where after 9/11 they weren"t ask to serve or sacrifice, they were asked to go shopping.

WoW is mirror for exactly how big of a nation of cunts we are becoming. A country of spoonfed, douchebag, Ethug, half-a-faggot bitches who are so afraid of adversity that even games cant even have challenge in them.

Im praying for tidal waves.

Fog_foh

shitlord
Lleauaric~EW said:

Most are a bunch of fucking pussies. Not just about video games, but about everything. The appeal of WoW is that there are never any losers. Nobody ever has too feel bad and everyone walks away with a big bag of goodies.

It is a very symbolic measure of the problem as a whole. This is the generation that has mommies and daddies calling Law Schools and Medical schools yelling at the board because their precious angels didnt get in. This is the generation where everyone got a trophy at the end of the season, and kids played soccer because football is too rough of a sport. This the generation who stayed inside watching TV and playing video games rather than going out in the neighborhood fighting, playing tackle football, breaking their arms on makeshift jumps for their bikes, and having to walk to school.

This is the generation where after 9/11 they weren"t ask to serve or sacrifice, they were asked to go shopping.

WoW is mirror for exactly how big of a nation of cunts we are becoming. A country of spoonfed, douchebag, Ethug, half-a-faggot bitches who are so afraid of adversity that even games cant even have challenge in them.

Well, I might be a spoonfed, douchebag, E-thug, half-a-faggot bitch, but you"re a piece of shit.

gnomad_foh

shitlord
Lleauaric~EW said:

QFT (don"t know about the tidal waves, I think the food and gas riots will take their fair share in the next couple years )

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Why should we have to serve or sacrifice because of 9/11? What, so we can go and invade a country that had nothing to do with 9/11? Well, gee willikers, sign me up!

And yeah, fighting is so cool. It"s always cool when someone accidentally gets their nose pushed up into the brain, need emergency surgery to relieve the pressure and ends up half retarded afterwards. True story and it was just a "good ol" fight".

Rezz_foh

shitlord
In an attempt to rerail this thread as best as possible, I"ll list the important factors that make up a wow clone in the order in which they occur.

You have to have an engaging PVE game. If it"s not nobody will play, not even the hardcore PVP players.

You have to have some form of endgame progression that either relies on the player going through previous content (less monetarily expensive) or progression through gear/flags via either PVE or to a lesser extent PVP.

You have to have both facets represented in your game, excluding one equals loss of seriously major revenue. As a business, you can"t afford to take that kind of hit and keep trucking. (Regarding PVE and PVP)

The above should be self evident to a point. Unless your focus lies elsewhere (ie, the hard core raiding market. They are not the same demographic as represented by WoW"s top end) then your concentration of talent should follow that indoctrination.

Just saying, anything else will result in a niche game, which is probably not what you want in the long run Curt.

Just please at least make the comment of PVP notion available to your developers, don"t have the retardery that is often WoW"s PVP enabled on your servers. Design classes around this fact, not in spite of it.

Blitzspear_foh

shitlord
bigdaw said:
Wasn?t the revelation I was hoping for, now we know they have a nice big office space, and quite a few of them like cake. Did anyone get anything else out of that presentation, apart from McFarlane doing a good Tim Westwood impression?

Might be really wrong here, but didn?t Rich Gallup used to sneer every time an MMO was mentioned on those Gamespot broadcasts? Now he works as a producer for one?

Column_sl

shitlord
Blitzspear said:
Wasn?t the revelation I was hoping for, now we know they have a nice big office space, and quite a few of them like cake. Did anyone get anything else out of that presentation, apart from McFarlane doing a good Tim Westwood impression?

Might be really wrong here, but didn?t Rich Gallup used to sneer every time an MMO was mentioned on those Gamespot broadcasts? Now he works as a producer for one?
They showed what seemed to be a screenshot from the game in the presentation if you look closely.

Its on the back of one of the walls on a 38 studio sign. It looks like a centaur dressed in Spartan armor. NOT IMPRESSED.

3 years and you guys can"t even give us a name.So weak..

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Blitzspear said:
Wasn't the revelation I was hoping for, now we know they have a nice big office space, and quite a few of them like cake. Did anyone get anything else out of that presentation, apart from McFarlane doing a good Tim Westwood impression?
It was a pretty good peek into what methods they"ll be using to bring this IP into the market. A solid gameplan for sure, but nothing that hasn"t been done before in very similar fashion. The talent will certainly make some difference. The order in which they"ll implement these things was pretty unclear, but I think kind of obvious. I think the most indicative comments were related to the individual media they intend to use (toys, comics, novels, etc.). I couldn"t help but think "so this is how Star Wars started out" through the whole thing though.

The rest was the typical "we envision this and that, and we"re working on how to make it all blend together in an mmo". I don"t know what some of those retards at the end were thinking, but i"d have had a shitload of better questions than what they asked lined up. "Will your game have anything "special" for guilds that unguilded players can"t access?" LOL..... moron. And wasn"t the licensing of UE3 and Bigworld announced weeks ago? WTF were these people thinking? Were they even mmo gamers?

Grave_foh

shitlord
column said:
They showed what seemed to be a screenshot from the game in the presentation if you look closely.

Its on the back of one of the walls on a 38 studio sign. It looks like a centaur dressed in Spartan armor. NOT IMPRESSED.

3 years and you guys can"t even give us a name.So weak..
That was shown forever ago, nothing new. It"s not a screenshot, just a piece of concept work.

Also, uh, 3 years? What?

Column_sl

shitlord
Rayne said:
It was a pretty good peek into what methods they"ll be using to bring this IP into the market. A solid gameplan for sure, but nothing that hasn"t been done before in very similar fashion. The talent will certainly make some difference. The order in which they"ll implement these things was pretty unclear, but I think kind of obvious. I think the most indicative comments were related to the individual media they intend to use (toys, comics, novels, etc.). I couldn"t help but think "so this is how Star Wars started out" through the whole thing though.

The rest was the typical "we envision this and that, and we"re working on how to make it all blend together in an mmo". I don"t know what some of those retards at the end were thinking, but i"d have had a shitload of better questions than what they asked lined up. "Will your game have anything "special" for guilds that unguilded players can"t access?" LOL..... moron. And wasn"t the licensing of UE3 and Bigworld announced weeks ago? WTF were these people thinking? Were they even mmo gamers?
It was a comic convention.....there lucky they got anyone to ask them questions,they were probly scripted anyway. Most comic fans could give a rats ass about MMO"s.
I"m sure Mcfarlane was the draw,not any of those other retards.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
column said:
It was a comic convention.....there lucky they got anyone to ask them questions,they were probly scripted anyway. Most comic fans could give a rats ass about MMO"s.
Fair enough. But, when people have enough knowledge to ask questions about things like the engines they"ve licensed, and what features they"re planning for guilds, I wouldn"t think it a stretch to expect a bit more.