Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

gnomad_foh

shitlord
Blitzspear said:
The guy who just posted then, the one who seemed to like cake so much.

Anyway, what did people think about what Salvatore said, about making your character feel like a hero in an MMO? Anyone actually ever felt heroic while playing a game, apart from in PVP.
Yep the one that posted and as he has always done said not a Goddamn thing.

Moorgard should be a fucking politician since he can double speak better then Husein Obama, Hitlary or John Insane.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
gnomad said:
Yep the one that posted and as he has always done said not a Goddamn thing.

Moorgard should be a fucking politician since he can double speak better then Husein Obama, Hitlary or John Insane.
Wow, you"re an idiot. I get the whole "free speech" and "it"s the internet" and "don"t come here if you don"t want to get flamed" angle, and I agree with it. At the same time when someone acts on misinformation and ignorance, and both of those are aimed at someone who is pretty much the exact opposite by definition , of the personal attack, and that someone belongs to my family, my company, I"m going to respond. I promise you there are a few people cringing right now that will want to talk to me on MOnday, that"s ok.

When people like you make broad sweeping non-specific attacks on other people that generally means to me that the person has an axe to grind with zero affirmation to ANY facts about which he is complaining.

List here, facts, things you know for sure, things you didn"t hear 4th hand from 9 posters on 12 different boards, that confirm Steve did any of the potential world ending things you accuse him of, and you"ve got an argument.

SOE brought Steve into the industry because they recognized after some time that this was someone with a very firm grasp on game design, and community, and would be a valuable asset.

Pretty decent chance you"ll come up with zero, not one instance, that will be anything remotely close to your gripes or complaints.

I also find it a telling sign that someone who ends a post with some ignorant connection to political people they despise, is just trolling, and has pretty much zero to add in any meaningful way to a conversation regarding the topic at hand.

I started posting here to ineract, and the guys in the studio were less than happy with that and I would imagine it was for this very reason.

It"s all good, I"ve said my piece and there is no need to go back and forth with someone like you who"s already firmly convinced you "get it".

When someone with the history of R.A., and the skills of R.A., makes it abundantly clear he"s blown away with what Steve"s content design team has done, I"m good with that. I also have the luxury of not having to take anyone"s word, and am able to put my eyes on things that validate it.

As to when the IP comes out, first unveilings and things like that. Think one second on this.

Why would we EVER act in a way we felt was damaging to what we are doing, when there are already so many inherent risks? If we thought putting concept art out the day we launched the company was the best possible plan, we"d have done that.

So play that out. We"ll do it when the people tasked with making those decisions believe it will achieve the best possible reaction.

In that sense you and I are no different. We"re gamers, we want to see it all,now, today. That"s cool. But when you plop 10-15 million of your own dollars down on a gamble like this you realize it never is, and never will be, that simple.

You find people that KNOW how to do this, and have ALREADY done it successfully, and you trust their judgment with your input, to make the best possible decisions at every turn.

I"d ask you to think about this to. Let"s make a MAJOR leap of faith on your end and assume we make a totally incredible game. Would there be a bigger downside to releasing information too soon? Or too late? Which scenario allows for more build up and potentially unattainable achievement? The longer the public can consume something the more chance there is to create "fictional" potential and unrealistic hype. We"ve all watched it happen time and time again and we are completely dedicated to not repeating other peoples mistakes.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Ngruk said:
I"m going to respond. I promise you there are a few people cringing right now that will want to talk to me on MOnday, that"s ok.
It"s good to be the King and etc.

I"d ask you to think about this to. Let"s make a MAJOR leap of faith on your end and assume we make a totally incredible game. Would there be a bigger downside to releasing information too soon? Or too late? Which scenario allows for more build up and potentially unattainable achievement? The longer the public can consume something the more chance there is to create "fictional" potential and unrealistic hype. We"ve all watched it happen time and time again and we are completely dedicated to not repeating other peoples mistakes.
There"s nothing wrong with protecting your investment by witholding information. But if, say, you were actually developing new mechanics to move beyond the old tank/healer/dps/cc , you could say "we"re developing new mechanics to try and move beyond t/h/d/c" without actually detailing what those mechanics are.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
The game is at least 3 if not 4 years from launch. Way too soon for specifics. It"s a fantasy MMO... hell that"s more than we know about the Bioware MMO which is presumably much farther along in development.

Kuro_foh

shitlord
And then if, in testing, none of the new techniques really worked all that well, and they went back to T/H/C/D, you"d get the INTERNETZ RAGGGGEEEE fest that accompanies such feature changes, and negatively impacts the company.

Just look at the AOC threads, and the Vanguard threads from pre-release->early release.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Twobit Whore said:
The game is at least 3 if not 4 years from launch. Way too soon for specifics. It"s a fantasy MMO... hell that"s more than we know about the Bioware MMO which is presumably much farther along in development.
And exactly when should an MMO in development decide that it doesn"t want to follow in the EQ/WoW footsteps? Two years before release? One? Six months?

Twobit_sl

shitlord
tad10 said:
And exactly when should an MMO in development decide that it doesn"t want to follow in the EQ/WoW footsteps? Two years before release? One? Six months?
Most likely whenever they feel it is best to decide it.. but that has no bearing on when they tell you anything.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Twobit Whore said:
Most likely whenever they feel it is best to decide it.. but that has no bearing on when they tell you anything.
You beat me to it. I would of thrown in a few fucks personally since it"s Tad.

Blitzspear_foh

shitlord
Yeah, I enjoy questing, but that shit with 20 boars to kill after beating the biggest and worst the game had to offer was very strange. As for the running back and forth in the fed ex quests, well those are generally lazy time wasters.

I always felt that quests should be a conscious choice, which to take and which to leave, not just select everything and head out into the big wide world to begin mass slaughter, but take the quests that have a sense of purpose which matches the personality and play style of the person playing. Make each quest we choose to take define us just a little bit, in some small way, a notable separation beyond class and race that mark us more as individuals rather than just part of the herd.

As for the hero stuff, I think it would be nice if we had an impact however minor on our environment during our time in the quest hubs. If we are to believe we are working towards a legendary fabled status, we have to think what we do is significant. Kind of like some of the stuff in LoTR online, you had little instances with the burning village in the early quests, when the instance was over you were in a fresh village dealing with the tragedy.

I can?t even begin to think of a better way than tank/healer/dps/cc we already have in MMO?s. So I?ll stfu about that and let you lot get on with it.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Draegan said:
You beat me to it. I would of thrown in a few fucks personally since it"s Tad.
So you"re saying you"re perfectly happy with another holy trinity MMORPG? Interesting.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
No you fucking dumbass, he is saying no one has any information to confirm or deny what the mechanics of the game are. It"s barely a year old. Think your precious VG in 2003. That shit didn"t even have a name. No one knew jack about it. Cripes, you really are fucking retarded.

Added fucks for Draegen. And yes, we all want more info but they aren"t giving any and sitting here debating how GMG sucks because they are going to have mana and heal spells would be pretty stupid.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Twobit Whore said:
No you fucking dumbass, he is saying no one has any information to confirm or deny what the mechanics of the game are. It"s barely a year old. Think your precious VG in 2003. That shit didn"t even have a name. No one knew jack about it. Cripes, you really are fucking retarded.

Added fucks for Draegen. And yes, we all want more info but they aren"t giving any and sitting here debating how GMG sucks because they are going to have mana and heal spells would be pretty stupid.
Last time I checked this was an MMORPG forum where such things are regularly debated.

Given the recent history of MMO debacles and posting history of those reponsible for the aforementioned debacles it is completely reasonable to ask C.S. & co. for some information about the game since they are using this forum as part of their viral marketing plan.

I"d think you"d be in the forefront of those opposed to marketing w/o substance crowd. Oh, and for the record, fuck you too :)

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
EQ didn"t start it. But you knew that.
K scratching my head on that one. Can"t think of another PVE game pre EQ that expanded the whole "raid" scene.

P.S., Curt it is ok if you call certain people dumbfucks in this thread, myself included if you wish ;p

Agraza

Registered Hutt
MMORPG != holy trinity, but class-based interdependence does = holy trinity. EQ is not the genesis of the tank/heal/cc design. It"s been around in JRPGs and D&D for years. This design defines the sub-genre.

If you"re going to use classes and you"re going to go for PvE, you"re going for tank/heal/cc. It"s the most basic structure for cooperation. The only PvE games that don"t employ it as the core of gameplay are off on some social/crafting experiment.

Don"t add DPS to the trinity. Everyone does DPS. DPS is what you do more or less of depending on your capacity to fulfill tanking, healing, and crowd control. When designing combat in EQ2 they gouged CC and claimed DPS was a "role". Apparently CC is shortsighted, and doesn"t fit in this generation of MMOs. That worked well.

Talent specsareshortsighted, but they sell. Stupid people eat that shit up. I can customize my character!!! ~le sigh

I don"t feel being a hero has anything to do with MMOs. Everyone can do everything. The only difference from one player to the next is how you look doing it. There were plenty of uberguilds in EQ, but only a few had charismatic leaders that a fanbase was built around. Does anyone really care in what order Rallos Zek was killed these days?

Heroes are only relevant as a backdrop. If you let players do something that isn"t repeatable you"re being unfair or elitist and those that managed these tasks were lucky. If everyone can accomplish it over time, then it isn"t special at all. It"s a lose/lose situation. Of course there should be high points like the 10th ring war or completing a difficult quest, but these just make the game feel epic due to the necessary cooperation.

I"ll give you one hero from EQ that did something no one else did, Fansy the Bard. What did he get? Infamy and the game being nerfed just for him. The game wasn"t designed to facilitate his actions, it was designed to prevent them.

Moorgard is a traitor, but we"d all do the same thing given the chance. I"m sure he"s a great guy, but I don"t trust anything he says. Anyone that witnessed his metamorphisis from mobhunter to mouthpiece is on the same page.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Agraza said:
Moorgard is a traitor, but we"d all do the same thing given the chance. I"m sure he"s a great guy, but I don"t trust anything he says. Anyone that witnessed his metamorphisis from mobhunter to mouthpiece is on the same page.
I laugh every time I read this. He"s a traitor because he was an intelligent passionate player about the game he played, had a forum to post those opinions, was found to have valid opinions and relevant input enough that the company who"s game he was writing about hired him.

So instead of posting those opinions, he"s now in a position to act on them, and finds out in short order, as anyone with half a brain would, nothing is as easy as you want to believe it is, nothing, when it comes to these games. Well now he"s ina position to effect those opinions he used to make, and he does, and he"s a traitor? Mouthpiece? What? He should have taken the job, trashed the parts he hated about the game while working there, and NOT spoken highly about the product he was now helping to produce?

What fantasy world do you people live in? That"s like saying Joe Schmoe baseball fan who"s sitting in the stands yelling at his sucky team, is found to have enough talent on the field to compete, the team gives him the second base job. Now he"s supposed to stand on the field and CONTINUE to yell about how bad his team sucks to anyone that will listen? Or does he go about utilizing his new position to make the team better? Realising once he steps on the field that the game is just not that damn easy, certainly not as easy as it looks from the cheap seats.

The world is littered with Monday morning QB"s, which many people here, are. That"s cool, and Lord knows there are many instances when it"s needed to give relevant perspective, but at least a little forethought into the bitterness and vitriol would help conversations here immensely.

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Agraza said:
. . . EQ is not the genesis of the tank/heal/cc design. It"s been around in JRPGs and D&D for years. . . .
But as for the whole advent of raiding? I submit that EQ was the genesis for the raid encounter as being the endgame play. Raiding was an afterthought when EQ came. You had 2 world monsters, that was it. And the original intent was to make them basically a serverwide event to kill.

Planes and Kunark then came out with the focus on "raiding" as the ultimate endgame. WOW continued it with their PVE part of the game but further extending it to 5 man instance groups. By doing so they made the holy trinity even more ensconced. End result we are stuck in a model that just becomes frustrating for many. Can"t find that tank or healer, can"t do the "good" stuff. Was like that in EQ, is like that in WOW, only worse since that tank/healer is needed in the 5 mans as well.

If S38"s game is going to become basically a rinse/repeat of the same model well it better have damn good pvp to keep my interest.

Grave_foh

shitlord
Quite easy to fix that problem with intelligent class design.

You don"t see any lack of healers in Vanguard, because they"re incredibly fun to play. Make all classes as fun as the omg pew pew DPS classes and you"re good to go.