Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Quince_foh

shitlord
Any info on when they will release the information on ?Copernicus? since they didn"t at Comic Con? Will they have a presence at PAX maybe?

Linbog_foh

shitlord
Quince said:
Any info on when they will release the information on ?Copernicus? since they didn"t at Comic Con? Will they have a presence at PAX maybe?
From everything I can see theres nothing on the PAX schedule for 38 studios.

In an interview from <a href="http://www.massively.com/2008/07/30/comic-con-08-38-studios-interview-reveals-ip-announcement-next/">Massively</a>:
Do you have a timeline for when you"re going to be releasing some of that information?

Mary: Our current plan is to announce the name of the game and launch the IP website (as opposed to the corporate website) about this time next year.Remember that this is our current plan, and plans can change over the course of a year.

For the sake of clarity about what on Earth an IP website actually is...

I"ll use Blizzard/Warcraft as my example since it"s a common language. "IP" means "intellectual property," which is essentially the creative property or world within which "Copernicus" is set. Blizzard"s most successful IP is "Warcraft."
  • 38Studios.com: This is the official home of the company, the equivalent of the Blizzard corporate website. This site exists right now.
  • IP Website: This is the generic website for our universe/world, not specific to any single game or product. If Blizzard had one of these, it would be a generalized Warcraft universe site that includes their strategy games, MMO, board games, card games, etc. This is what we"re talking about launching next year.
  • "Copernicus" Game Website: This is the website specifically about our first massively multiplayer online game, codenamed "Copernicus." It"s the equivalent of the World of Warcraft game website, and will be launched even later than the IP website.
I know it seems like a long time to wait, but we"ll reveal information when we can. We believe people would rather be given real information about what will be in the game rather than what we want in the game -- you should be excited about what the game is going to be, not what we hope it will be.

gnomad_foh

shitlord
Blackguard said:
blah, blah, blah....

We believe people would rather be given real information about what will be in the game rather than what we want in the game -- you should be excited about what the game is going to be, not what we hope it will be.
Until the day it actually ships they are one and the same.

I have been jerked around by this industry too often to put any stock in anything said anymore, especially by someone I remember way too well from EQ2.com

Lonin_foh

shitlord
You guys going to have any presence at PAX Black? I"ll be there on Friday, was hoping you guys would have a booth or something.

Quince_foh

shitlord
Lonin said:
You guys going to have any presence at PAX Black? I"ll be there on Friday, was hoping you guys would have a booth or something.
Read that last 3 to 4 posts and you will have you answer. Wow it isn"t that hard....

gnomad said:
I have been jerked around by this industry too often to put any stock in anything said anymore, especially by someone I remember way too well from EQ2.com
Good. You"ve been hardened by the failures in the MMO market and should be able to jump into a game without expectations. It"s best to reserve your opinions about a game until it"s at a release level of quality (or at least what its developers deem it is so... even though I don"t agree with the "launch quality" of most games). When that time finally arrives, it"ll be great to see what you think of the game.

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
Blackguard said:
Good. You"ve been hardened by the failures in the MMO market and should be able to jump into a game without expectations. It"s best to reserve your opinions about a game until it"s at a release level of quality (or at least what its developers deem it is so... even though I don"t agree with the "launch quality" of most games). When that time finally arrives, it"ll be great to see what you think of the game.
Your concept artists need to use more brown.

In gnomad"s defense (Oh god, what am I doing?!) I have been incredibly disappointed with every single MMO released since WoW, and even some that have yet to hit store shelves. We"re promised something grand and, instead, get something on the range of "mediocre" to "dog turd." It"s really hard to get excited or behind a game/developer anymore when the failure rate is so high. Yes, it"s myopic of players to expect "Copernicus" to flop, but it"s better to hope for the best and prepare for the worst than get giddy about something you guys haven"t shown us yet.

gnomad_foh

shitlord
Blackguard said:
Fair enough, I will guarantee you that I will let you and others know what I think after the game ships

Oh and Cad, maybe you are getting older and less likely to believe the crap that is spouted as truth with no proof.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Blackguard said:
I know it seems like a long time to wait, but we"ll reveal information when we can. We believe people would rather be given real information about what will be in the game rather than what we want in the game -- you should be excited about what the game is going to be, not what we hope it will be.
I like this attitude. The way it should be. Promise nothing, and let the game stand on its own merit with all the "ooh"s and aah"s" coming from what it WILL have

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
My guess is Moorguard and Blackguard have learned a thing or two with EQ2.

EQ2 started releasing a lot of info early on, some of those things didn"t make it to the final product, some were changed etc...and all of it pissed people off because people had expectation based on what they had seen and heard officially from SoE.

It doesn"t mean EQ2 was a bad game, but it definitly was less then they advertised...and to a lot of people it ended up being a disapointed based on that alone...regardless of the quality of the final product. Maybe it was an awesome game, but it was still much less then advetised. I still bitter about that awesome armor the woman on the first video of EQ2 was wearing.

Hopefully, they"ll reveal info about stuff they know will be in the game for sure, not about what they"ll like to have in the game...at the very least people will have to judge the game on it"s own merit, rather then what it could have been.

Valderen said:
My guess is Moorguard and Blackguard have learned a thing or two with EQ2.
I certainly hope so!

Not to make excuses, but when I joined the EQ2 team there was very little definition for what community management even meant and very little history to draw from (except frequently bad history). So a lot of things had to be figured out along the way, which led to no shortage of mistakes. And of course mistakes can have a lot of value if you learn from them.

Case in point: Back then I was naive enough to believe that if a developer told me that something would be going into the game in a certain fashion, then there was no reason to think otherwise. So I relayed information about traveling merchant caravans and how you could put on shows in a theater and sell tickets and stuff like that, not appreciating the difference between intent and execution.

This is why we"re so reluctant to talk about our plans, because they mean NOTHING until they"re real. That means they have been implemented and are proven to be both functional and fun.

I have no desire to post about our cool ideas and what will make our game unique. I do, however, have an immense desire toshowyou.

And when we can do that, we will. Until then, you have no reason to buy into any kind of hype, and that"s why we"re not trying to sell you any.

(Unless you define any kind of interaction or posting as hype, in which case that"s your problem! )

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cough, frogluks are in the game but nobody has unlocked them yet!

That was some serious bullshit. Some of my guild members were collecting and digging through all those lore books for months trying to hunt down clues as to where/how to unlock them. Honesty goes a long way =p.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So when the devs make official posts confirming shit is in the game, we should just always assume they are lying?

Kuro_foh

shitlord
Will I be able to play a cannible Halfling who rides a velociraptor.

This is extremely important.

LIVES ARE ON THE LINE