Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Someone needs to write "From fetuspults to alchemy to "seriously guys it"s in the next beta push: A comprehensive list of failed promises, pitiful reassurances and bold faced lies." or the more succinct title, "A history of MMO"s"

They could makemillions.

gnomad_foh

shitlord
Zehn - Vhex said:
Someone needs to write "From fetuspults to alchemy to "seriously guys it"s in the next beta push: A comprehensive list of failed promises, pitiful reassurances and bold faced lies." or the more succinct title, "A history of MMO"s"

They could makemillions.
I"ll start on the DnL chapter, which one do you want to write Zehn?

"A quiet reverence hung within the grand chamber as the ministers of justice debated their verdict." Along with a brief interview with Todd McFarlane, IGN has revealed the final piece of <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/898/898055p1.html">concept art</a> that we unveiled at Comic-Con. If you missed any of the other four pieces, you can check them out at <a href="http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/39993">Ten Ton Hammer</a> and <a href="http://www.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=14418">Zam</a>.

Frax_foh

shitlord
Blackguard said:
Good. You"ve been hardened by the failures in the MMO market and should be able to jump into a game without expectations. It"s best to reserve your opinions about a game until it"s at a release level of quality (or at least what its developers deem it is so... even though I don"t agree with the "launch quality" of most games). When that time finally arrives, it"ll be great to see what you think of the game.
As the MMO landscape has been a virtual wasteland other than WoW and the minor success of LoTRO and the revival of EQ2 since 2004; I don"t know any long term MMO players who aren"t incredibly reserved in their expectations for future games. Is WoW as good as it gets? I hope not, but no one has been able to prove otherwise to this point. Even some of my friends who recently got into the WAR beta are saying "Well I"ll play this till the next WoW expansion I guess..."

Just pretend we are all from Missouri...

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Even though I like the style of what was shown, it"s still just concept art. When you have a screen full of people with in game footage and you are showing 60fps like I get in WoW while looking just as nice, then I can start getting excited about your game.

Vanguard had great concept art too.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
Gonna show my age here, but if you ask what are some of the best games I have ever played the lsit would be Ultima 4 and 5, A Bards Tale (original version), early might and magic series games (world of xeen), Diablo 1 and 2, Warcraft and so forth.

Now ask me some of the ugliest games I ever played, you would get the same list. All anyone cares about anymore is art and graphics. I may be old and in the minority but graphics have never made a game funner. It may catch my eye and make me oooh and aaah for an hour or two but thats about it.

Now don;t get me wrong, very badly done art and animations can be a hinderance to a game, but just average art is fine and dandy to me as what makes the game fun is not how many pixels it shows but system and functions of the game.

I am gonna pull numbers out my ass here and guess, but I would have to assume back in the 80"s and early 90"s graphics were a MUCH smaller portion of the budget and more was spent on actual gameplay. Now days it seems all anyone cares about is how pretty it is and gameplay be damned. (looking at you oblivion and the like)

I would prefer text muds to shit like VG and most of the current crop of MMOG"s. It is why games like D2 that look like complete ass are still played by more people than msot current games. Gameplay is king and graphics dont mean a damn thing in the end, but noone seems to get that anymore.

I have never and will never get excited about concept art or screenshots, because they tell you NOTHING about how fun or lasting a game will be, but yet eat the largest part of the budget (according to what I read), yea that make sense... it is why the game industry is going down the shitter IMO, But noone seems to get that except blizzard.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Bards Tale was great, but I hated Ultima 4. I remember going out with my Dad buying Ultima 3: Exodus for our Apple ][e+. My first RPG ever.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
Bards Tale was great, but I hated Ultima 4. I remember going out with my Dad buying Ultima 3: Exodus for our Apple ][e+. My first RPG ever.
ahh a fellow gamer pushing the 40 mark = )

Sterling

El Presidente
Bard"s Tale and the early Ultimas were my first RPGs too. Then Phantasie III omg. Commadore 64 here though not Apple 2!

Protest_foh

shitlord
Genjiro said:
Even though I like the style of what was shown, it"s still just concept art. When you have a screen full of people with in game footage and you are showing 60fps like I get in WoW while looking just as nice, then I can start getting excited about your game.

Vanguard had great concept art too.
I suppose the days of just appreciating nice concept artwork, without adding cynical addendum are long gone huh?

Protest said:
I suppose the days of just appreciating nice concept artwork, without adding cynical addendum are long gone huh?
After Vanguard, any attempt at selling prospective players on anything secondhand related to an MMO is long, long gone.

Cynicism hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately 38Studios and other developers are going to have one hell of a time whether they give out information regarding their game or not.

Blackguard said:
Good. You"ve been hardened by the failures in the MMO market and should be able to jump into a game without expectations.It"s best to reserve your opinions about a game until it"s at a release level of quality (or at least what its developers deem it is so... even though I don"t agree with the "launch quality" of most games). When that time finally arrives, it"ll be great to see what you think of the game.
When your game is delivered in that condition, then we"ll be impressed. Until then, color us skeptical.

MMO gamers, especially the harder-core, core, serious, or whatever the hell moniker you wish to tack on to us, have been lied to and manipulated numerous times by game developers. The worst was Mr. McQuaid, in my opinion, since Vanguard was seen to be a "second coming" of sorts. We were suckers, and he drew many of us in, hook, line and sinker.

I think 38Studios is taking the best approach they can, a cautious one, and features, game design, and game elements (as well as audience) need to be firmly decided on. Problem is, we"re still rabid fans hoping for something of an improvement, and we like even a small amount of information.