Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

mac35g_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
I think Mythic had a near flawless launch, at least in my experience.
Unless you happened to be someone who preordered online and hasn"t received your game yet...which means you"ll be locked out of the game from now until you do receive your CD key.

I"d imagine that"s a pretty large group of players (myself included).

mac35g_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
That has nothing to do with the launch, it has something to do with distribution.
That"s just semantics. This is the first weekend the game has been live and a lot of people will be unable to play...to me that really affects the success of the games launch.

Either way, this isn"t the thread for this debate so I"ll take it to the WAR thread.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Well this is why I never pre-order a game from the internet. There are plenty of shops in my area I can pre-order or pick it up from. But then again to each their own. Sucks though.

Venjenz_foh

shitlord
Slayder said:
I really doubt Curt is posting here seeking our approval, political or otherwise.
Never said he was.

I just remarked that his political comment would probably be what fetches the normal amount of hate that any game dev/publisher/suit normally gets around here.

I was right.

I don"t know Curt personally, but hearing his interviews and reading his answers in this thread, yeah, I"d say it"s a safe bet that he doesn"t give a fuck what FoH or really anyone thinks of him. Cool by me.

Now, to the game, I"d like to hear more from anyone at 38 on which good MMO mechanics they will mimic. Sometimes games come out and they try so hard to be different from WoW or EQ that they forget to inlcuce the good stuff that really works in WoW in EQ.

I"d love to see a company put a prettier face on Anarchy Online"s tradeskill system, and possibly a fantasy version of the implant system. That"s one example.

WoW"s mount quests for pallies and warlocks (which I would love extended to every class and to every mount type) are another cool mechanic.

So Curt, or whoever, what things in other games are part of 38"s "to include" list even partially or in some paraphrased fashion?

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
mac35g said:
Unless you happened to be someone who preordered online and hasn"t received your game yet...which means you"ll be locked out of the game from now until you do receive your CD key.

I"d imagine that"s a pretty large group of players (myself included).
I just got my game today, haven"t punched in my key yet, and am still able to log in thanks to the Early Access. They even said there would be a grace period (as mentioned in the WAR thread) since they know not everyone would get their game delivered on the day it comes out.

Havelock_foh

shitlord
Cadrid said:
I just got my game today, haven"t punched in my key yet, and am still able to log in thanks to the Early Access. They even said there would be a grace period (as mentioned in the WAR thread) since they know not everyone would get their game delivered on the day it comes out.
For awhile they were saying there would be a grace period until the 22nd, then a couple days ago they changed it to the 19th, then (in the face of all sorts of anger from the community) Mark Jacobs apologized and they switched it back to the 22nd. They did right, but it was a lot of unnecessary drama and EA/Mythic should"ve stuck with the original date the whole way through. The launch has still been by and large very good, but the short list of initial servers last Sunday and the grace period flub were both easily-avoidable errors.

Frax_foh

shitlord
The "outrage" over the democrat comment is typical for this place. Stirring up a bees nest of little Hillary and Bill drones is never a pleasant thing!

Also, on topic, the WAR release has been pretty good overall. Mostly the usual sandy vagina crowd complaints like every game has had so far.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Venjenz said:
Now, to the game, I"d like to hear more from anyone at 38 on which good MMO mechanics they will mimic. Sometimes games come out and they try so hard to be different from WoW or EQ that they forget to inlcuce the good stuff that really works in WoW in EQ.

I"d love to see a company put a prettier face on Anarchy Online"s tradeskill system, and possibly a fantasy version of the implant system. That"s one example.
SWG"s craft system

FFXI"s one char can play all jobs (one at a time)

Anarchy Online lvl cap, stat and buff system

Got to agree with this post. Developers are so committed to not being seen as a rip off that they try too hard to be unique in everything (see EQ2 vanilla vrs EQ1). Theres a bunch of systems in other games that could be huge pulls if they are part of a backbone of a fun game.

Of course, there are the ideas that will plain make your game fail before it launches :

CoX actually has no loot system.

AoCs has loot but actually has no loot you care whether you get system.

FFXIs major boss spawn system and economy - how not to do it if you dont want gold sellers to own your servers.

Northerner_foh

shitlord
Havelock said:
Curt: don"t fuck up your launch like Mythic did.
What a fucking moron.

I am no WAR apologist. I am having fun and I think there is an excellent chance it will be over in a month or two. Hell, for sure in six (see my DAoC background, even with the top guild).

Still, the launch was near perfect.

Bitch about AC, laugh at OU, complain about EQxxx, whatever. Still, WHAR did just fine in launch and pre-launch. Hell, I"d say better than WoW even and I was there from F&F to Live.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Any issues I"ve had with the launch have been client side for the most part, and they continue through today. I"ve updated my vid card and done everything I can but the game still crashes far too often for me.

In the Phoenix scenario when I am on the repeater I am getting pushed to desktop but not crashing...

Otherwise I am getting full shutdowns, game closes and my machine starts running like molasses for a good while.

Incredibly frustrating but that"s not all their fault imo. I am however, having a blast in the game. Closing in on t3 as a rune priest....

Tradeskills? Now that"s another topic altogether....

Teljair_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Any issues I"ve had with the launch have been client side for the most part, and they continue through today. I"ve updated my vid card and done everything I can but the game still crashes far too often for me.

In the Phoenix scenario when I am on the repeater I am getting pushed to desktop but not crashing...

Otherwise I am getting full shutdowns, game closes and my machine starts running like molasses for a good while.

Incredibly frustrating but that"s not all their fault imo. I am however, having a blast in the game. Closing in on t3 as a rune priest....

Tradeskills? Now that"s another topic altogether....
That sucks, I have only crashed one time since launch.

Have fun finding scenarios in T3. On Azazel it sucks.

Bellstian_foh

shitlord
Yea their crafting systems were not very well thought out, I had to make a bright wizard alt just to get the extra gathering profession you need for talisman making

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Definitely noticed the GAPING change in RvR scenario activity once you hit t2. I was doing 5-10 an hour in t1, and first 3 days in t2 not one single queue.

Almost felt like a penalty for leveling fast, which I don"t think people want.

That"s going to be the rub for awhile. Thing is I just KNOW some server our there is going to band together to take over as much of the world as they can as fast as they can.

My other qualm is that starting a new toon, which given the content and speed played is pretty much a guarantee, almost means I HAVE to start another race since leveling up is pretty much the same exact set of quests at every step. Weird. I know you can go to other races home points for that, but that"s a challenge I am not too interested in.

But they still hit a HR on the PvP/RvR as far as I am concerned, incredibly cool.

Biggest complaints right now would be
1)The mail system.. Holy crap, 1 item every 20s???? No "friends" feature????
2) TS"ing, feels "detached" from the game. I could level to 40/80 and not touch TS and it feels like I won"t miss a single thing. If that truly is the case I"d have opted to skip TS altogether and focused on the core game features. TS"ers might hate to hear that but that"s imo only.