Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Oh ya, that"s absolutely 100% of the focus. The last thing you want to have to do is alt-tab out to get information from bookmarked sites if you don"t have to.

This may not stop that completely, but what it can provide is off line reading material incredibly relevant to your character, level, trade skill, quests, items, PvP, zones, locations and lots of other information that actually matters to you the specific player, and even more so the specific character you are playing.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You should target your casual players and completely ignore the hardcore players. It"ll save you time and effort for something that most hardcore players will ignore anyway as fluff.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
I disagree in that you don"t ever ignore your players/customers, no matter how hard or soft they are. Every niche of customer brings a very different and unique perspective, all have something to offer.

This hits right at the heart of even game design, you can"t be all things to all players but you certainly can find ways to service them, the key is hearing what they say through a lot of the noise.

The service itself has literally thousands of articles in it"s database to draw from. These were written by players who proved:

1) They could write
2) They knew the game
3) They knew their class
4) They were interested in helping the WoW community enjoy the WoW experience.

The database is continuing to grow with Wraith content as well as works in progress in other areas. If you are interested in being involved drop me a line. It"s not a 6 figure salary for sure, but we pay for content created by the large base of writers we"ve managed to work with.

Cybsled

Even hardcore players can learn from even more hardcore players. If you are getting solid information from the best sources, even if you have just a mere sliver of something new and useful to your typical hardcore guy, they will still see you as a valuable resource. Let"s not forget this mentality is the type that"s looking for anything as trivial as a .5% increase in average DPS for little to no additional effort needed.

Drave_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
The eventual goal is to have hard core players... writing content for stuff like this...
If you can honestly support a community (forums/IRC with devs/summits, etc) and provide a way for players to receive recognition for their inputs, I could see this going far.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ngruk said:
The ONLY possible benefit hardcore players could perceive is getting an edge, and getting an edge in this space with something like this means having information BEFORE everyone else, or at worst, at the same time.
I disagree, and frankly find that view point of the "hardcore" player a bit outdated at best.

Getting information ahead of time in WoW has effectively done nothing for the bleeding edge of raiding guilds for just about its entire life. That"s why you can have things like dev interaction on the PTR for testing raid content and have no one complain about it; it"s simply a moot point. So what if X guild gets to see encounters sometimes months before anyone else -- rarely, if ever, does X guild end up being the ones to pull out world firsts from their ass.

Anyway, a quick reference guide for game formulas, design concepts, gear progression, character bench marks, and whatever else is a tool that every newbie and hardcore player alike would use. The only tools I have right now are 1000+ page threads on elitistjerks.com and wowhead.com.

Grave_foh

shitlord
James makes a good point there. In my former guild I was constantly having to coach the other Rogues because, while the information was readily available on EJ, they simply didn"t want to sift through the threads or bother looking for it. If you can deliver this type of information in a concise format that is delivered to their inbox, you may have something that high-end raiders may actually use.

Rotations, proper gemming for various specs, gear choices and where they drop, consumables, etc. are all things high end raiders would value the newsletter for if it saved them the trouble of looking through EJ threads (though, admittedly, some are very well organized and keep all of the information updated on the original first post).

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Ngruk said:
I disagree in that you don"t ever ignore your players/customers, no matter how hard or soft they are. Every niche of customer brings a very different and unique perspective, all have something to offer.

This hits right at the heart of even game design, you can"t be all things to all players but you certainly can find ways to service them, the key is hearing what they say through a lot of the noise.

The service itself has literally thousands of articles in it"s database to draw from. These were written by players who proved:

1) They could write
2) They knew the game
3) They knew their class
4) They were interested in helping the WoW community enjoy the WoW experience.

The database is continuing to grow with Wraith content as well as works in progress in other areas. If you are interested in being involved drop me a line. It"s not a 6 figure salary for sure, but we pay for content created by the large base of writers we"ve managed to work with.
Perhaps I got the wrong impression of the service. If you could provide the spreadsheets, the formulas, the gear progression that you see in places likeMaintankadin :: Indexalong with other strats then I can see this being useful. However I suppose you need to first determine if the target is a person that wants that info, because I think if you dump that type of info on a neophyte you will scare them.

I thought the newsletter was something that showed you how to level and where to go etc. My thought was usually hardcore players know that stuff already and usually outlevel or outpace information like that. Most of the time.

Again perhaps I didn"t look into it again, but you"re saying you"re enabling user generated content? Could be interesting.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
To those that have emailed or messaged me thanks. I"d like to extend the offer to anyone here that considers themselves "high end" or "hard core" WoW players. Most of you commented (not that we didn"t already know about the "usefulness" of the AA (Azeroth Advisor :: World of Warcraft Guide) to a large majority of WoW players.

At the current time you"re spot on. It offers little for the long time 70, the ranked arena or t5 to t6 player. That"s changing and has been.

We are working to add, daily, content for that very player base as well as our WotLK content.

If you are a writer (by that I mean you can talk WoW in an intelligent manner with no F bombs, which eliminates many!!) and are interested in helping to shape this community service product please drop me a line at[email protected]and I"ll get back to you. We are making a push to get this content in, and up and running, over the next month.

Thanks!

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Question.

To anyone that has played more than one MMO or has played one MMO for a few years.

If you knew an MMO was coming out in a genre you were interested in, what would be the following:

1) The one core basic feature would you 100% expect to be in, and expect to be perfected at launch, bug free and "cool"
2) What one thing that hasn"t been done well, or at all, in any MMO, would you most like to see as a thoroughly fleshed out mechanic/content piece/UI feature?

Kuro_foh

shitlord
One thing that consistently boggles my mind in new MMOs is that their chat/channel functionalities are inferior to EQ1"s. You"d think "next generation" games in a sphere where social interaction is, ostensibly (although with the huge focus on solosolosolo in new games, meh), a key function, would have improved on, or at least have cribbed, an 8-9 year old game"s system (although that"s not entirely fair, the current channel system is only 4ish years old).

Also, LFG tools that don"t blow goats are good.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
1) The one core basic feature would you 100% expect to be in, and expect to be perfected at launch, bug free and "cool"
Not so much a particular feature, but a smooth, consistant and well itemized levelling experience. Nothing turns me off a new MMO more than content gaps and ridiculous itemization that"s obviously had absolutely no thought put into it. The moment I hit the "oh damn, I"m out of quests, looks like I"m going to have to go grind a bunch of levels" is usually the moment I return to my previous game. Likewise, if the zone design and itemization reeks of rushed developement, it turns me off a game really fast. Make it as easy as possible for people to want to keep playing.

2) What one thing that hasn"t been done well, or at all, in any MMO, would you most like to see as a thoroughly fleshed out mechanic/content piece/UI feature?
Non-itemized character progression. Don"t get me wrong I love my phat loot and all, but items always seem rather transient to me and I like the thought that the effort I"ve put into my character is more than the sum of his gear, which will all eventually be replaced anyway.

Of course the hard part with that is that it"s very tricky to balance. There"s a careful line to walk between making it impossible for new players to catch up and making such a progression system meaningless.

For an example of a company who did it very, very well, look at Mythic"s Realm Rank system in DAoC. I think they struck an almost perfect balance here, it meant something to have a high RR character, it was something that took a long playtime and was rewarded accordingly, but it was very possible for a new character to catch up to a competative level within a reasonable time frame. Of course the older player would always be slightly ahead assuming equal playtimes, but because of the way they scaled it you could become competative quite easily.

In the time it might take someone to go from RR9 to RR10 another player would be able to go from RR 1 to RR7 or so, which would leave them able to play at a decent level. Likewise, they balanced the rewards fairly well. A RR10 had an advantage, but not so much of one that a well played RR5 couldn"tstand a fair chance against them.

The trick in applying this to a PvE game would be only gaining progression from meaningful content, so you don"t see players grinding solo or in small groups 10 hours a day just to keep up.

Ok I"m kind of rambling on.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
The combat/abilities/spells mechanic MUST be perfected and bug free.

I don"t even feel confident enough in any company to say "Combat must be 100% balanced" because I could never picture that happening in my lifetime. It"s tough work.

I want to play a class that caters to my own personal traits. Whether it be heavy damage, tanking, crowd control, or utility; I don"t want to have to figure out which classes are strong and then which of those strong classes fits my certain play style. I hate trying to figure out which classes are strong in order for myself to be useful to others whilst emerging myself into a class that I enjoy.

If all classes were 100% balanced then I can better chose for myself, and my characteristics instead of worrying about who is gimped to hell and who is the most powerful class of them all.

kudos

<Banned>
Ngruk said:
Question.

To anyone that has played more than one MMO or has played one MMO for a few years.

If you knew an MMO was coming out in a genre you were interested in, what would be the following:

How about a working LFG system? EQ had the best one I can think of. Just copy it.

Less trash clearing for raids and more boss fights. Think Blackwing Lair.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
kudos said:
How about a working LFG system? EQ had the best one I can think of. Just copy it.
These are MUST commands for every single MMO.

/who all LFG
/who LFG
/who all LFG 50 60
/who all enchanter LFG
/who 50 60
/who all druid 30 50

Grave_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
The questing/leveling experience. Make it engaging, make it fun and it will buy you time to tweak other aspects of the game while people simply enjoy leveling up. It needs to flow well and properly reward the player along the way. WoW"s leveling experience is often praised, but if you look at it critically there are numerous flaws. Itemization is a big one, it"s very rare to get an item from a quest that you actually want or even care about. It would be nice if quests felt more rewarding.

I would also like to see fewer "meaningless" quests, and more excitement at all levels of play. I don"t want to feel like I"m only questing to level, it would be nice if I didn"t even think about it as I played. Rather than having 20 dull quests like gathering apples and wolf hides, why not start out with ONE quest that leads the player through 20 different steps, culminating in something that feels epic (even at level 5) and rewards them properly along the way. The end result - gaining level 5 - is the same, but the path to get there would be much more fun.

From the very beginning, I want to feel like the main character in a grand story. I don"t want to be an errand boy doing menial tasks for NPCs. I want to make my own choices and reap the rewards or suffer the consequences. I"d like to see quests presented in different ways as well. If I start killing skeleton warlords and there"s a quest in town to kill 10 of them that I didn"t pick up, the game should just recognize that I"m doing it and allow me to get the reward for it later. Check out more of my thoughts on questing inthis post on my blog, if you like.

Ngruk said:
I"m going to go with alignment and reputation on this one. EQ1 did it best, imo, by allowing players to raise or lower their faction with pretty much anyone. You also had semi-alignments in EQ based on your deity. This type of thing could easily be fleshed out and perfected, with the flaws in the design corrected along the way.

I"d like to see an MMO where a player"s alignment actually had an effect on their character, altering what quests they can receive as well as how they might complete them. Think KOTOR, Fable, or Neverwinter Nights in the sense that you can do some quests in different ways and your choice effects your alignment. Sometimes, even the way you speak to an NPC can effect your alignment slightly. When you find a valuable family heirloom in a dungeon, do you return it to the rightful owner, keep it for yourself, or sell it to the highest bidder? The player should have these choices and what they do should effect their character.

Similarly, I want a good, diverse reputation system. One of the coolest things about Velious was choosing which of the three factions you wanted to ally yourself with, and being able to switch those factions at will. I want to see more choices like this.

Give us factions that are less black and white, so obviously good or evil. Let the player decide if they really believe in that factions goals and want to help them or if they"d rather stand against them.

Let the player customize their character in the way they choose to act and which factions they align themselves with. An ogre should be able to walk in the city of the elves if he has proven himself to them.

This kind of thing is part of what made EQ feel like a real world and not just a game.

Northerner_foh

shitlord
Tyen said:
These are MUST commands for every single MMO.

/who all LFG
/who LFG
/who all LFG 50 60
/who all enchanter LFG
/who 50 60
/who all druid 30 50
That is a design decision (or has been for WoW and others recently) and I could not agree more that the recent decisions have caused more harm than good. I want to be able to be selective and damned if not allowing the option really encourages me to take what is there. I"d also add as musts:

/who allguildname

... and if we want to be modern about things:

/who [modifiers] x [distance units] [race] [class] [flags like pvp, on-quest, level, spec and anything SQL can handle and your user can think of]

Hell boys, replicate and modernize EQ"s /LFG window and you"d be golden. The main thing is that so much of this could be packaged as "standard" Db tools for MMOs and for some reason has not been. New releases over and over tend to re-invent the wheel and that is so damned inefficient. Perhaps it is just insular competition, I don"t know.

Regardless, do that, do %x stuff for chat, actually put in a few hundred /emotes and you will fix a huge chunk of the problems that even new releases are plagued by. Remember, it is all about user experience in the end and so much of polish is shit like this. To this day I find it jarring when playing non-WoW to get nothing from /sit or meaningless results from /who ...

WAR"s /lfg tool is decent. It"s map and quest systems work well and it"s interface customization is excellent. Hell, it"s BGs are by and large very fun too. Still, I miss some odd things and am stunned when a simple slash-command just is not there at all.

Stosh_foh

shitlord
Genjiro said:
I"m with Zehn on this one regarding "hardcore guilds will require xxx" nonsense. I"ve played in some pretty hardcore guilds, and even led one. In general, I think most of your top hardcore guilds look for just a couple things.

1. Show up with good attendance, know how to play your class
2. Don"t cause drama

Pretty much, every guild I was in, led, been around, or knew others who led successful guilds....this was pretty much it.
This.

MMO"s are no different than anything else in life. If you can get a collection of capable people, willing to put aside all their personal issues and dedicate themselves to a common goal you can accomplish things.

huan_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Smooth, responsive movement and combat. Why is WoW the only game that really has managed to pull this off? WAR could be so amazing if it wasn"t for the terrible combat system.

Ngruk said:
Free monthly content patches, ala Asheron"s Call. I loved that crap. None of this milking shallow content for 2+ years like Blizzard is pulling.