Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Zehn - Vhex said:
Though occam"s razor would suggest you just give some kind of reward everytime someone else in your group gets a quest update and leave it at that.
Give the person not on the quest bonus experience per quest update. Kill 10 Orcs? Other guy gets some extra experience per kill or gold per WOW if you"re at max level, scale it somewhat based on the quest level.

I like it.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Two new pretty cool and talented folks join the gang at 38.

Check it out here

Irena immediately made me realize how incredibly deep UI processes are. Blowing away my theory that you just made this app that people clicked on to enjoy your game Tremendous insight into how involved and important every aspect and feature of the UI is. Functionality and responsiveness > all!

Aubrey, after breaking his leg, is about as far from what you"d think a stud audio designer in a rock band might look like. Pretty intense passion for all things audio. Not to mention Copernicus now has sound! Weird...

Erumaron

ResetEra Staff Member
Ngruk said:

Check it out here

Irena immediately made me realize how incredibly deep UI processes are. Blowing away my theory that you just made this app that people clicked on to enjoy your game Tremendous insight into how involved and important every aspect and feature of the UI is. Functionality and responsiveness > all!

Aubrey, after breaking his leg, is about as far from what you"d think a stud audio designer in a rock band might look like. Pretty intense passion for all things audio. Not to mention Copernicus now has sound! Weird...
Yea that"s for sure with the UI stuff. I can"t imagine the testing that goes into making sure the UI is intuitive and all of that. AoC"s UI certainly wasn"t terrible but it didn"t show the global cooldown or something minor along those lines and it drove me absolutely insane.

Erumaron said:
Yea that"s for sure with the UI stuff. I can"t imagine the testing that goes into making sure the UI is intuitive and all of that. AoC"s UI certainly wasn"t terrible but it didn"t show the global cooldown or something minor along those lines and it drove me absolutely insane.
I respectfully disagree; AoC"s UI was terrible, particularly it"s add-on/mod support. Feel free to note that I have no idea what it"s like these days, only what it was like the first few months.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I still think WAR has the best UI visually, especially the tools you get with it. However the responsiveness is shitty because of the game not the tools given.

Teljair_foh

shitlord
Maybe some day a developer will release a game that doesn"t need add-on support. Meaning, the UI is so good to begin with you don"t need anything else.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Wrong. Addons will always be popular and necessary because everyone has different tastes. Also people LOVE to customize things, especially something they stare at hours on end.

As long as addons just display information and don"t actively do anything for you, then everyone should be able to do what they want.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
The default WoW UI has about 95% of the shit you"ll ever actually need to play the game unless you"re a power gamer or a healer. Now that threat and focus target frames are built into the UI you could probably get by without needing any mods really.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Oh sure, functionality it"s all there, but do you like the look of it? I don"t and thats why I"m happy to have the option of downloading other addons that present that data to me differently.

Fadaar

That guy
Teljair said:
Maybe some day a developer will release a game that doesn"t need add-on support. Meaning, the UI is so good to begin with you don"t need anything else.
Won"t happen. There"s no possible way for a developer to think of everything.

Zarcath

Silver Squire
Ngruk said:

Check it out here

Have you or would you seriously consider hiring someone from these forums? Noticed there was an opening for QA Manager. Not that I"m qualified, but just wondering if you would ever hire someone off these boards.

DJk_zero_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
Wrong. Addons will always be popular and necessary because everyone has different tastes. Also people LOVE to customize things, especially something they stare at hours on end.

As long as addons just display information and don"t actively do anything for you, then everyone should be able to do what they want.
Addons shouldn"t be the mantra, they should be the exception. I don"t include UI elements being moved around / re-skinned as an addon (that should be embraced).

Gecko_foh

shitlord
Zarcath said:
Have you or would you seriously consider hiring someone from these forums? Noticed there was an opening for QA Manager. Not that I"m qualified, but just wondering if you would ever hire someone off these boards.
I"m sure the forums could be a catalyst for 38S getting some good resumes and hiring people. It wouldn"t surprise me if Irene was a regular on this forum, given her gaming background.

Personally, I stay as far away from game development companies as I can. I did database design work in the 90s for one and it was a terrible environment. This was one of the better companies in a less competitive time, too.

They have horrible turnover rates, very bad ratio"s of success, and tend to beds of nepotism. They also try to leverage people"s love of games to allow for a shoddy, underpaid work experience.

I love games and especially RPGs and MMOs, but as a professional programmer and database guru if I were in the market for work I wouldn"t go near one.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I think it would be fun if you were working in some kind of creative area. Or on a particular project you were really passionate about. But I kind of gave up on my "omg working for a gaming company would rock" ideal when I realised it would most likely be much the same as working in any other programming postion (and I hate programming), and that the chances of being given a creative free license to work on some game I would love to make (as opposed to being assigned to WW2 Shooter #13546834 or some shitty sports game) were very, very slim.

I really do envy guys like Curt who have a chance to make that dream come true though.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Gecko said:
Personally, I stay as far away from game development companies as I can. I did database design work in the 90s for one and it was a terrible environment. This was one of the better companies in a less competitive time, too.

They have horrible turnover rates, very bad ratio"s of success, and tend to beds of nepotism. They also try to leverage people"s love of games to allow for a shoddy, underpaid work experience.

I love games and especially RPGs and MMOs, but as a professional programmer and database guru if I were in the market for work I wouldn"t go near one.
SAME.

I work for a corporation that makes way too much money. We have DB/Network admins that have been here for 15+ years. Our company has gone through at least 3 recessions in recent memory and IT as a department keeps growing. In the tech industry that kind of stability is amazing. I mean, if you"re really good at your job too you can make good cash and I spend half my fucking day browsing forums and playing games on my laptop.

By contrast...well...

20081105.jpg

Lourdin_foh

shitlord
A little late to the table but one thing that I would like to see is a game that makes the NPC in areas (such as cities) more "expansion proof" Nothing bothers me more then seeing an NPC that was at one time the most awesome bad ass, but is now regulated by expansions to a push over. I am not talking about mobs, I understand the scaling they need to undergo. I am talking about pure NPC"s.

Example: Leader of an Assassin"s Guild. He starts the game at launch at the level cap, lvl 40. 3 expansions later he can be soloed. He is supposed to be the epitome of the assassins. Put a convention in place to make these legacy characters more viable. (This can be done with stories in each expansion or even getting rid of their level designation entirely.

Also, make the city zones more viable with each expansion as well. In EQ it pissed me off that there was a new "hub" that players gathered for each expansion. That really took away from a lot of the flavor of the game for me as populations really became spread out and players of different levels had no reason to "bump" into each other.