Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Pyros_foh

shitlord
Zehn - Vhex said:
I saw this thread bumped and expected titties.

There were no titties.

I am dissapointed.
There"s a magic way, you have to say the forbidden name 3 times, and Hatorade appears.

Loken Loken Loken.

Mannorai_foh

shitlord
I"d settle for just about anything at the moment. Even if it"s a bit vague, it"s something. I was cleaning up my favorites the other day and almost scrapped 38studios.com. I"m down to checking the site once, maybe twice a week.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Understood, but that"s how it"s likely going to be for a good while now. I don"t like it, Lord knows I don"t, because I want to talk about all of it. But we are likely going in the opposite direction for the next 10-12 months or so.

Mainly because it"s the right thing to do for the company, and the product.

imready2go_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
But we are likely going in the opposite direction for the next 10-12 months or so.
As in, evenlessforthcoming with info? Opposite direction? What is the opposite of zero?

I understand you don"t want to overhype your product, but there comes a point when you gotta let people know you actually might have a product to deliver. Otherwise, you"re begging for someone to start the "vaporware" rumors.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
naw ngruk is on weei on thursdays now (weei.com - he is on the big show)

listened to you last week, you did good,

though frank from gloucester was annoying, and i was howling with Tito on cuz it sounded like,,,they got you.

Cybsled

Opposite direction = not high fantasy?

Make it so. You should cash in on the elements Conan got right (boobs, blood, and dark themes). Then add some Cthulu/Sci-Fi theme with a dash of Left4dead! Simmer for 10 months in a vaporware pot, pour and serve!

I"m pretty sure by "opposite direction" he meant sayingeven lessabout the IP. Also, someone should tell the last couple of chaps in the Forgotten Realms thread in the rickshaw about this thread.

I"m looking forward to it; even if WoW is my last MMO (likely), I"ll always be interested in the news, and this looks to be the first possiblyrealcontender.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Well I am pretty sure we"re not going to tell people SOMETHING just to avoid vaporware rumors.
Whether those rumors exist or not we"re making a game, so I guess they"d be false rumors?
Given the sheer size of what"s going on, and the timing, it"s likely best to NOT listen to the gamer who"s Founder and Chairman that loves to yap about his game when it comes to the strategic decisions of "Revealing" something this big, and this expensive.
It"ll happen when the people that get paid to make these decisions feel it"s best to happen.
There will be no shortage of "stuff" once that does happen, it just won"t happen when I want it to.
Pretty sure it won"t be the last thing I get overturned on....

Quince_foh

shitlord
I thought the whole point to starting your own MMO company was to just hire all "yes men/women" so they stroke your ego and let you get away with whatever you want.......

Geez I really need to rethink starting up my own MMO

Greyform_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
\
Given the sheer size of what"s going on, and the timing, it"s likely best to NOT listen to the gamer who"s Founder and Chairman that loves to yap about his game when it comes to the strategic decisions of "Revealing" something this big, and this expensive.
How expensive?

Rythonn_foh

shitlord
Greyform said:
How expensive?
I think it was talked about at the beginning of this thread, and I remember hearing the number 50+ million thrown around. Now I don"t know if it actually got that high or if that is just what he was planning for.

ah it is

We are looking at a game right now that could potentially have a 50+ million dollar pre-launch budget

Frax_foh

shitlord
how do you judge an MMO as a success in the retrospect of 2008"s large releases and relative failures of AoC and WAR? Conan and Warhammer both sold a million plus boxes. Conan faltered greatly and by some accounts is being improved; Warhammer is obviously fighting to get better, but I have no doubt their retention rate started a hard downward spiral on Nov 13th.

What does a game have to do to be a success? MMO production has been compared to movie production, I think even by Curt himself in this thread. Many movies never make money, and studios rely on blockbusters to fill their coffers for the most part. For every Dark Knight there are a couple dozen Pooty-Tangs and Soul Planes... Can a new game studio survive a less than stellar first title release, especially when many subscriptions could potentially run back to WoW a month or two later when Blizzard manages to force out their next expansion?