Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Grave_foh

shitlord
I"m also glad that the team seems to be realizing early on how important something like animation is. I feel games like EQ2 and Vanguard suffered greatly in part due to their poor animations. It"s surprising how much such a thing can change the actual "feel" of the overall gameplay.

Believe_foh

shitlord
Grave said:
I"m also glad that the team seems to be realizing early on how important something like animation is. I feel games like EQ2 and Vanguard suffered greatly in part due to their poor animations. It"s surprising how much such a thing can change the actual "feel" of the overall gameplay.
Couldn"t agree more.

It was really hard for me to get into either game simply because of how horrible I felt the animations were.

Quince_foh

shitlord
Well they have already released a picture of a centaur in one of those "behind the scenes" videos they released about a year ago (or so it seams) and it looked like a mix between Wow and Vanguard. And by that I mean that it is realistic looking but it had a more "round" and "wowish" look to it.

It"s hard to explain so I will see if I can find the video.

Edit:
38 Studios Genesis
Look around 2:10

Tearofsoul_foh

shitlord
Quince said:
Well they have already released a picture of a centaur in one of those "behind the scenes" videos they released about a year ago (or so it seams) and it looked like a mix between Wow and Vanguard. And by that I mean that it is realistic looking but it had a more "round" and "wowish" look to it.

It"s hard to explain so I will see if I can find the video.

Edit:
38 Studios Genesis
Look around 2:10
Is that a centaur?

Palum_foh

shitlord
Grave said:
When LotRO trial came out, I rolled up a character and entered the game. I hit the space bar and immediately Alt-F4ed after throwing up a little in my mouth from the jump animation.

WoW is the only mainstream game I can think of with quality, responsive and well-linked animations, though admittedly I"ve never played many of the Korean MMOs. WAR isn"t terrible as I recall, but nearly everything that"s come out in the past 5 years has looked like the dev team hired a 4 year old with ADD and put them in charge of kinetics.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Palum said:
... but nearly everything that"s come out in the past 5 years has looked like the dev team hired a 4 year old with ADD and put them in charge of kinetics.
As a 4 year old with ADD and currently in charge of physics on a major MMO, what is your problem with me, there buddy?

faille

Molten Core Raider
Any of you guys played Mount and Blades?

It"s a good example of what a small team at home are still capable of producing. Something that is fairly unique and fun, even though it lacks the polish of professional studios.

Quince_foh

shitlord
Then you look at the "small team" behind darkfall and you can see the massive fail associated with it. It"s been a crap shoot for years now

Faelor_foh

shitlord
I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but what area was 38 Studios in at NYCC? I heard there was a panel but was there a booth? Had a few buddies go up there and they couldn"t find anything, though they are not the most resourceful bunch. They did ask Jerry/Tyco and Mike/Gabe of Penny Arcade as they were setting their area up but they were not sure either.

Just curious, if someone could help me out that would be appreciated.Ifa booth was set up I"m sure they walked past it.

Oh, and +1 for Mount and Blades. Very different game style, definitely lacked polish though. Now I"m kind of curious as to how big the dev team was.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Faelor said:
I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but what area was 38 Studios in at NYCC? I heard there was a panel but was there a booth? Had a few buddies go up there and they couldn"t find anything, though they are not the most resourceful bunch. They did ask Jerry/Tyco and Mike/Gabe of Penny Arcade as they were setting their area up but they were not sure either.

Just curious, if someone could help me out that would be appreciated.Ifa booth was set up I"m sure they walked past it.

Oh, and +1 for Mount and Blades. Very different game style, definitely lacked polish though. Now I"m kind of curious as to how big the dev team was.
pretty sure it was 2 people for most of it"s development, a husband and wife team. May have expanded once it got picked up by paradox / steam.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I didn"t see a 38S booth in the games section. I didn"t get to go to any of the panels there but I was aware they had some people there. I thought I heard Moorguard was going?

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
We had a few people there to talk on some panels. Steve was one, Gavin and Thom were there as well.
They said it was packed, total chaos!

Palum_foh

shitlord
Locithon said:
The only question that matters is if you"ll have a Bard class.
Except that the 38S MMO is undoubtedly sci-fi, trying to break the mold of terrible fantasy games with generitolkien influence. Actually, no, who am I kidding. I do hope they have a good bard, though.

Torvon_foh

shitlord
Palum said:
Except that the 38S MMO is undoubtedly sci-fi, trying to break the mold of terrible fantasy games with generitolkien influence. Actually, no, who am I kidding. I do hope they have a good bard, though.
It"s going to take World of Starcraft to prove to developers that a sci-fi genre could make it big in the MMORPG world. Once it comes out, then you"ll see plenty of clones.

Murr_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
You meet people that have incredible gifts for game design that suck at or hate games? I can"t see it. Doesn"t mean it doesn"t happen, but I"d bet it"s someone lying about hating games for some weird personal reasons.

Now Artists, engineers, anyone outside of design I could understand and actually do know and have seen. Designers? Nah, trouble seeing that one.
The distinction I would make in agreeing with some of the other posters is there are designers out there that don"t "hate" games per se, but there are a lot of guys out there who aren"t passionate about the game they"re working on, or the genre they"re stuck in, or used to be big into gaming and drifted out of it after spending time in the industry.

I"ve seen it more than I expected - I work at a small shop and we"re all pretty passionate about our product, but we also do some contract work to pay bills. One of the first jobs I did for another studio really stunned me because of the general apathy about the game they were shipping. I got brought in late in the project to help them with some network code and overhead stuff like, "Hey, we should think about playing this online once it comes out" in a manner that suggested they hadn"t really even considered playing their own title until just then, like some kind of novelty.

It just felt really alien to me, but I can see how you"d get that way if you had to work on a bunch of projects you weren"t happy with or really invested in. The downside being that if you"re not very invested in your game, it"s just a job, you might be a good designer but you just won"t have the insight or desire to make the same caliber game someone who digs in and plays the shit out of their own title.

A good friend of mine works at a larger studio and feels like they"re really held back by 9-5"ers who aren"t really gamers (albeit those guys aren"t necessarily designers, as Curt pointed out) or who just want to follow some formula for more sales (see: most studios" design docs for a 3rd person shooter these days - add cover, over the shoulder cam, perks system +1 misc "unique" feature, sell!) instead of taking the role of the end-user and seeing what works and doesn"t just playing through it.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Murr said:
The distinction I would make in agreeing with some of the other posters is there are designers out there that don"t "hate" games per se, but there are a lot of guys out there who aren"t passionate about the game they"re working on, or the genre they"re stuck in, or used to be big into gaming and drifted out of it after spending time in the industry.

I"ve seen it more than I expected - I work at a small shop and we"re all pretty passionate about our product, but we also do some contract work to pay bills. One of the first jobs I did for another studio really stunned me because of the general apathy about the game they were shipping. I got brought in late in the project to help them with some network code and overhead stuff like, "Hey, we should think about playing this online once it comes out" in a manner that suggested they hadn"t really even considered playing their own title until just then, like some kind of novelty.

It just felt really alien to me, but I can see how you"d get that way if you had to work on a bunch of projects you weren"t happy with or really invested in. The downside being that if you"re not very invested in your game, it"s just a job, you might be a good designer but you just won"t have the insight or desire to make the same caliber game someone who digs in and plays the shit out of their own title.

A good friend of mine works at a larger studio and feels like they"re really held back by 9-5"ers who aren"t really gamers (albeit those guys aren"t necessarily designers, as Curt pointed out) or who just want to follow some formula for more sales (see: most studios" design docs for a 3rd person shooter these days - add cover, over the shoulder cam, perks system +1 misc "unique" feature, sell!) instead of taking the role of the end-user and seeing what works and doesn"t just playing through it.
I think the key is that games made by these people, we know about, and that"s not necessarily a good thing.

Does EVERYONE at Blizzard love WOW? I HIGHLY doubt it. Hell I bet many don"t play. But the people running the show, the big boys and girls, will talk your ear off about the game and their love of it.

It"s cool to talk to people, hell people"s secretary"s, that talk about getting to 80, getting an epic purple.

Their love for the game shows in ways gamers see, touch and feel. That"s the win you want.