Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Citten_foh

shitlord
James said:
Which, if you"d bothered to read past the first sentence, you"d see I actually even considered that.
Well he specifically stated a part of the map would lead to a bigger piece of the quest. Why would they make a game where the goal of content meant nothing? Not really an argument there is there?

The concern is designing meta-concepts that relate to a story. Or why have writers? This is where current games fail. The carrot is in only one form. Achievements are a start, but how does that add to the immersion of the story?

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Citten said:
For example, If i learn how to kick differently after a unique boss fight that upgrades my speed time, that is meaningful and desirous character progression that isn"t in the form of loot.
While this only works the first or second time you do a mob, I feel all character progression should be done this way. Farming boars for experience points to ding a level seems...outdated and trite. Let me climb the wizard"s tower to learn to cast fireballs or fight alongside an ancient hero"s ghost in order to learn his deadly mortal strike ability. Let me bathe in the fires of Ragnaros to increase my resistance to frost damage or study in some lost library to increase my intelligence.

Ah well...

Ngruk said:
IAlso, how about insuring that there is never a big boss loot table that doesn"t drop at least one item specific to the party engaging it. You may not want it, you might have better, but at worst it"s an item you could sell/refine/trade or use for certain situations that weren"t common?
*cough cough* Players get to pick a pre-set number of items from the bosses table. Toss in the job system as a gravy bonus and bosses now last forever with 100x less frustration. *cough cough*

Anyways...

Loot is ultimately the only way to get people to do something more then twice. I played through Diablo 2, fun game. I played it through again with a different class just to see if it played differently. Fun game!

People who played through it 1000+ times weren"t doing it because they felt compelled to continue stopping the Lord of Terror from returning. Story only gets you one, maybe two playthrough"s max.

Honestly don"t see this as a problem that needs to be solved. Tradeskill item, quest starter, loot token, whatever. It"s all going to lead to character progression.

You could add significantly more buildup to the initial kill. You can"t swing a dead cat in WoTLK without hitting the Lich King. YS has quite a buildup even though his location got retconned to move to Ulduar.

VA"d cutscenes are always awesome as well. I still get chills hearing Putress laugh and say, "Did you think we had forgotten?" I will sit through a relatively short VA"d cutscene. Chances of me reading a 3 page NPC monologue? hah.

In the end though, and let"s be honest, unless you hire a writer for each boss and turn them all into some incranation of Snidley Whiplash and your mission as a player is to foil his evil plot each week, no story element is going to keep us coming back 36 weeks in a row while you work on the next expansion.

Ninen_foh

shitlord
There are also things you can have bosses "drop" that aren"t loot, that aren"t even applicable to those at the very top of their game, yet would be nice little "everyone wins something" things.

What if, on killing Raid_Boss_04, everyone who"s there earns (or has some decent/high percent chance to earn) an extra point in some skill they don"t have maxed out. Call it a Heroic Insight [Foo] or something. You can be as tight (only skills actually used on the fight, thus limiting it to a subset of combat skills) or as loose (ANY skill, combat, craft, language, whatever you"re not capped on).

While this is a "welfare epics" style idea, its minimal enough to not cause too much Hue and Cry, yet is *something* for the chumps out there. The high end raiders are all likely to be capped out already, the new recruit in a high end guild will be able to get up to speed non-gear wise faster.

Ehh, I"m sure its flawed someplace, and it fits more in an EQ style point system than a WoW style one.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Did you really just suggest AA"s? Shame on you. You go to your room and think about what you just did mister. No dessert for you either.

Gieve_foh

shitlord
Bizanich said:
Speaking of this, I irrationally miss the fact that you could sometimes see what mobs had for loot by having a weapon in their hand. It was nice to see "Hey, he"s got the item!" and have it add so much more pressure to kill the guy if it was a difficult mob.

It"s a minor touch that has fallen by the wayside.
Didnt the live side guk king hold the mithril 2h when he had it? I remember that being pretty exciting, especially since it was rumored the haste effect helped him, and he was already pretty hard.

Ninen_foh

shitlord
Zehn - Vhex said:
Did you really just suggest AA"s? Shame on you. You go to your room and think about what you just did mister. No dessert for you either.
If this was directed to me, no, I didn"t suggest AAs.

I suggested having a high chance at getting a free point of sense heading, intimidate, parry, 2 handed Whalefin Tuna expertise, or whatever.

Northerner_foh

shitlord
There were lots of examples of that in EQ, from gods Piercing with hidden weapons to mobs that clearly held them. The best of course were enemies that held rare weapons visibly but could be given weapons that looked just like them by enterprising Rogues. You know, back before everything became all instanced and crap.

Tropics_foh

shitlord
Zehn - Vhex said:
While this only works the first or second time you do a mob, I feel all character progression should be done this way. Farming boars for experience points to ding a level seems...outdated and trite. Let me climb the wizard"s tower to learn to cast fireballs or fight alongside an ancient hero"s ghost in order to learn his deadly mortal strike ability. Let me bathe in the fires of Ragnaros to increase my resistance to frost damage or study in some lost library to increase my intelligence.
I would say combining what you said there is a attribute based progression would be ideal. Having hard caps on when you can learn a spell such as "you need 76 base intelligence and 70 base wisdom to learn this spell". In order to learn a certain new warrior attack from a mob in a temple you have to travel to you must have a strength of 83 and dexterity of 68. This type of system would also lend itself well to various types of builds.

If the player gets attribute points they can spend via possibly finishing certain quests or killing a certain mob or even with an experience system built in that also simply gives you a attribute point to spend every once in a while. It could be a combination of all of them for all I care.

A person can choose to build a warrior with alot of strength so that they can learn an amazing attack with a huge two handed sword that requires 110 strength to learn or a player might go for more of a balance of agility and strength and that might open them up to learning a 1 handed attack that takes only 75 strength but also 65 dexterity.

They might build a warrior that tanks via strength and powerful blocks with a huge shield, or a warrior that goes for agility and dexterity seeking to dodge and parry blows. One could end up being very powerful against single opponents while the other might excel when tanking many smaller opponents.

Items that drop in the game can also require certain levels of those attribute points as a way to stop a level 1 from carrying around the epic sword of doom. If you need 160 base strength to use a high level item then there is no way someone is going to have that after only 10 attribute increases they have earned.

It is a system if done right I do think could be truly amazing in MMORPG. Here is hoping it gets noticed by Curt.

Tropics_foh

shitlord
Gieve said:
Didnt the live side guk king hold the mithril 2h when he had it? I remember that being pretty exciting, especially since it was rumored the haste effect helped him, and he was already pretty hard.
LOL I can remember fighting the Frenzied Ghoul and all of us in the group going "do you think he is hitting faster, he seems to be hitting faster, he must have the sash this time!!!". Never really worked, but ya, every time you tried to determine if he had it anyhow.

best of course were enemies that held rare weapons visibly but could be given weapons that looked just like them by enterprising Rogues.
Best I heard of was taking a relatively expensive sword with a dmg proc and giving it to a mob in a newbie zone, the noobs would see the sword and immediately attack the mob with $ signs in their eyes and the second or 3rd swing the mob took would be the end of them in a 1-shot proc. Cruel, but oh so entertaining.

Caliane

Ninen said:
There are also things you can have bosses "drop" that aren"t loot, that aren"t even applicable to those at the very top of their game, yet would be nice little "everyone wins something" things.

What if, on killing Raid_Boss_04, everyone who"s there earns (or has some decent/high percent chance to earn) an extra point in some skill they don"t have maxed out. Call it a Heroic Insight [Foo] or something. You can be as tight (only skills actually used on the fight, thus limiting it to a subset of combat skills) or as loose (ANY skill, combat, craft, language, whatever you"re not capped on).

While this is a "welfare epics" style idea, its minimal enough to not cause too much Hue and Cry, yet is *something* for the chumps out there. The high end raiders are all likely to be capped out already, the new recruit in a high end guild will be able to get up to speed non-gear wise faster.

Ehh, I"m sure its flawed someplace, and it fits more in an EQ style point system than a WoW style one.
you know what I loved? Zul garub.
Coins and Bijous and reputation. Gave me a reason to kill trash, gave me a reason to kill bosses I didn"t need loot from specifically.
Potions, flasks, enchants to trade in from them. Rep based loot from attending the zone frequently.
People bitch about rep, but rep is a fantastic way to give stable and planned loot for simply attending a zone repeatedly.

Kuro_foh

shitlord
Anything with any >meaningful< power progression will lead to the same content tiering as levels do.

No one wants the mage rockin Fireball1, a cloth robe, and a bone dagger for fighting Assrape McGiantLord when the thirtieth upgrade "Blazing Hellfire Inferno of Wonderful Explosivity" is the only spell that makes a meaningful dent in its HP.

You just end up with a nebulous system of tiering instead of an easy and obvious one. It happens in these games whenever people hit a level cap, except it"s by gear instead of by abilities procured.

Tropics_foh

shitlord
Kuro said:
Anything with any >meaningful< power progression will lead to the same content tiering as levels do.

No one wants the mage rockin Fireball1, a cloth robe, and a bone dagger for fighting Assrape McGiantLord when the thirtieth upgrade "Blazing Hellfire Inferno of Wonderful Explosivity" is the only spell that makes a meaningful dent in its HP.

You just end up with a nebulous system of tiering instead of an easy and obvious one. It happens in these games whenever people hit a level cap, except it"s by gear instead of by abilities procured.
The point is though it is alot more of a gradual progression of power to get one point here, one spell there, and all with quests or mobs you kill or places you visit as the reason for the gains in power instead of "ok I just killed 600 orcs and dinged, now I can spend 40 gold and get 5 new spells from the trainer".

There is a big difference. Of course it is still tiers, people are still going to get more powerful as time goes by and I cannot fathom why that should not be the case, but the way that power is come by is vastly different and in my opinion at least a whole lot more interesting then just levels.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Kuro said:
The goal is...

1) It allows developers to create more freebranching, campaign length quests. For example, there"s quest for Horde that starts in Darkshire, takes you out to desolace and back. The reward in WoW? 2k xp, some gold and vendortrash. This is probably the least done quest in WoW.

By contrast, what if the reward was +3% runspeed? Or gave you +5 int? Or perhaps it increased the damage dealt by the warlock spell curse of agony by 10%?

The quest goes from being a waste of time, to something you definitely want to do.

2) It allows you to create dungeon content that"s still relevant. Let"s be honest, around the era I quit EQ, there may be two people in Guk at any given time, and one of them would be a druid powerleveling the other guy. SolA and perma were ghost towns. SFK is one of the greatest dungeons in any game ever yet nobody does it anymore.

Now if you put in a quest where Mages extend the duration of polymorph by 10 seconds by researching Arugal"s spellbooks? Warlock"s learn how to summon a stronger voidwalker. Killing Arugal unlocks another talent point for all classes the first time you kill him. Couple this with the job system and making group dungeons only require 2~3 level appropriate people and SFK will be hit on an almost daily basis for years.

That low level dungeon content that attracted new players no longer becomes pointless and wasted content. It"s probably the least retarded way to encourage grouping without making it a total pain in the ass.

3) Finally, the concept of levels can be reworked to fit the new model. Level is still a relative function of your characters power, but you can include other factors into it like your gear level, content that you"ve beaten, etc...

As it is now level 80 means nothing in WoW. Normally you see people saying "3k dps rogue lfg" or "35k hp tank lfg" since those numbers are far more meaningful. I imagine it"s only a matter of time before WoW allows you to list your general ilvl when being lfg.

Imagine incorporating that into WoW, especially in the pvp scene. What is now a supertwinked level 10 vs. non-twinked level 30"s would face up against eachother as they are both "challenge level 35" or whatever.

Anyways...

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
Tropics said:
"Player stats determine equipment and playstyle." [Quote snipped for brevity]
Anarchy Online did this already, and it ended up with the game being one giant math equation for min-maxing, and the economy was driven by stat-centric items (like those stupid pillows), where playing the game became a chore if you didn"t buy/quest for certain items at specific milestones. I agree that classes should have multiple playstyles, but centering it around attribute points is mind-numbingly dull and trite.

Having stats mean something more than +15 DPS at max level is something I"m interested in, even if it"s an out-of-combat role (CHA = Lower vendor prices, STA = Longer sprint duration, STR = Greater carrying capacity, etc.), but making players plug away on a calculator to figure out how they can play the way they want to play is flat-out ridiculous.

Tropics_foh

shitlord
Cadrid said:
Having stats mean something more than +15 DPS at max level is something I"m interested in, even if it"s an out-of-combat role (CHA = Lower vendor prices, STA = Longer sprint duration, STR = Greater carrying capacity, etc.), but making players plug away on a calculator to figure out how they can play the way they want to play is flat-out ridiculous.
You REALLY snipped that quote for brevity.

Min Maxing sucks but honestly it is going to exist in any MMORPG that is put out these days. Talents in WOW were originally intended to add some flavor and variety to players and instead people number crunch every single point you can spend into a formula that tells you the EXACT talent build you want with the EXACT armor and weapon you use to get max DPS.

If anything if you make the game more complex you reduce alot of the people that would freaking bother. It would make it a heck of alot harder for people to fiddle around with it and work it all out, especially if different paths made you more powerful in different ways that are hard to compare and if the attribute points and how they work on your character would also depend on which quests you have done to get which spells or skills or which places you went to get which weapons. Honestly if someone wants to work for 500 or 1000 hours straight breaking the min-max perfection for a extremely complex MMORPG that used a system like this they can have at it but there is a point where it would be a ridiculously huge hassle just not worth it.

People who min-max dont play the way they want to play, they play the way that number crunching tells them they should play. If anything a system like has been suggested gives people more freedom to choose their path and have it be effective without having someone go "0/12/59 WTF kind of spec is that, 0/7/64 is 2% more DPS newb!"

Bellstian_foh

shitlord
Zehn - Vhex said:
2) It allows you to create dungeon content that"s still relevant. Let"s be honest, around the era I quit EQ, there may be two people in Guk at any given time, and one of them would be a druid powerleveling the other guy. SolA and perma were ghost towns. SFK is one of the greatest dungeons in any game ever yet nobody does it anymore.
I"ve always had a thought on this. Make AA"s unlocked by finishing dungeons/group content throughout all levels. Have a mentoring system similar to EQ2 so that even if you are max level you can be of the appropriate level/gear (and the AA would only be unlocked if you mentored down to the content"s level). Now there"s a reason to go back and do those dungeons you outleveled or skipped for whatever reason. Old content would be much more relevant and it would be much easier to find groups.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Zehn - Vhex said:
The goal is...

1) It allows developers to create more freebranching, campaign length quests. For example, there"s quest for Horde that starts in Darkshire, takes you out to desolace and back. The reward in WoW? 2k xp, some gold and vendortrash. This is probably the least done quest in WoW.

By contrast, what if the reward was +3% runspeed? Or gave you +5 int? Or perhaps it increased the damage dealt by the warlock spell curse of agony by 10%?

The quest goes from being a waste of time, to something you definitely want to do.
EQ actually did fiddle with this a little in DoN. The raid progression gave you something like +200 hps/mana tier 1, +2% spell/melee crit at tier 2, etc. Nothing game-breaking by any means, but was a nice bonus.

It"s frustrating that pretty much every game out there has great ideas they implemented, even if the package as a whole was rather lacking. We need a game that incorporates all the good known stuff instead of trying to be a unique butterfly and do something "new". New is good, but old stuff that works is great too. Just go crazy and steal every good thing you want that fits in the game.

Tropics_foh

shitlord
OneofOne said:
We need a game that incorporates all the good known stuff instead of trying to be a unique butterfly and do something "new". New is good, but old stuff that works is great too. Just go crazy and steal every good thing you want that fits in the game.
This is true, the reality is that WOW has touched on most of the great ideas talked about on the past couple pages but they did not implement them throughout the game and use them to good effect. EQ"s world almost seems that it was built for things such as the above discussions. The ancient libraries, ruins, old mobs, the fact that many spells were learned from rare scrolls, these types of things would have been a cakewalk to implement in meaningful ways such as putting a rare scroll in the library in Kaesora such that it can simply be looted from the shelf or a desk, having a necromancer learn the high level lich summon after killing a high level necro NPC and reading scrawlings on his wall of the spell, simply click on the scrawlings which give you a lit up cursor, you get a popup that tels you this seems to be a high level lich summoning spell, you click "learn the spell" and it is recorded into your spell book. I like that vast amounts better then paying 20 gold to a trainer to learn the spell.

In all reality I think very few spells at the higher levels should be gained via trainers. I think the players after a certain point should have their knowledge and power outpace the normal trainers in cities and thus they must get their knowledge of the most powerful magics from other sources such as boss mob NPC"s, ancient scrolls lost in dark dungeons or in chests, perhaps a trip up a mountain to talk to a old monk who has long lost knowledge but requires certain rights of passage (quests) in order to give up the knowledge.

Never really made sense to me that trainers in cities were practically all powerful and could wipe out the worst of the evil in the world if they ever bothered to leave the gates of the city. With a new system like has been talked about here on the last couple of pages the players themselves truly become more powerful then a trainer in a city and it makes sense that they end up being the ones to go out and do battle with the dragons and what have you.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Tropics said:
EQ"s world almost seems that it was built for things such as the above discussions. The ancient libraries, ruins, old mobs, the fact that many spells were learned from rare scrolls, these types of things would have been a cakewalk to implement in meaningful ways such as putting a rare scroll in the library in Kaesora such that it can simply be looted from the shelf or a desk
EQ really did this imo in a couple of great ways. An obvious example would be the Enchanter animated Pet spells which from level 8 onwards were only obtainable from an NPC in Highkeep. Highkeep was in the middle of Norrath, far away from both Freeport and Qeynos and required you to traverse the Highpass(if you made it through East Karana off course) with level 16-20-ish Gnolls at one end of the canyon and the same level Orcs at the other end of the canyon. All of them KoS off course. But the coolest thing was that they did not leave the Enchanter entirely in the cold: the Chanter is the class that gets the Invisability spell at level 4, earliest of all caster classes (who got it at level 8) so from level 4 onwards an Enchanter had a fair shot of making it through Highpass and reach Highkeep.

So here you have it all in one: a purposeful journey, danger, reward and Class-pride. The death penatly spiced it all up(corpse runs).

For me, the above is what set EQ apart from all the rest that came afterward. I realize that at some point when the game matures that this journey is no longer a challenge but it certainly was in the beginning. The spells are tradable so high level friends could help out by buying them for you (if you had those friends), catering to the community.

I feel that modern MMOs try to avoid these sort of implementation because it has a bad "developer hours spent vs amount of players kept busy" ratio. The same goes for making truly interesting dungeons and zones. West Karana, compared with modern standards is a disaster when it comes to keeping players occupied with grinding XP or loot. There are few mobs, the levels are spread all over the place, it is huge, spawn time is long and there is very little loot(like 5 items from the Ogres + some generic loot from the Bandits).
But it was great for explorers because it was huge, lonely and full of surprises (due to that same level spread). Alsol, I got lost there trying to make my way to the other side of Norrath but that is probably nostalgia.

Modern dungeons are totally setup for XP and loot progression, there is no redundance at all, they are efficient and engineered with the player-progression in mind, not engineered from the perspective of it being a Lair of sentient beings. Like for instance Runnyeye was. That place totally belonged to the goblins, it was their home and you were an intruder. Terrible place to XP though.

Anyway, I feel that WoW still managed to port over some of that goodness but I guess the sometimes EZmode mechanics take some of the spicing away anyhow. But that is an old discussion.....

Drave_foh

shitlord
Zehn - Vhex said:

This would be very interesting if everything from the beginning required this. You could build in short-circuit paths for alts... maybe.