Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Part of it is consistency though. WoW did this a little bit with certain tradeskills. The thing was some tradeskills/classes had a lot of mini-quests, other"s didn"t and rather then commit to making it interesting, they just said, "fuck it put a trainer in every city, no more class specific quests, done!"

On top of that, things like the enchanting trainer being buried out in the middle of fucking Uldamann. Not only was that place annoying to get to, but it wasn"t exactly easy to solo to and you had to do it every 5~10 skillpoints.

But like doing the triage quest to get journeyman first aid was kinda neat. The quests to unlock totems/warrior stances/etc...were fairly enjoyable. I really do miss the class specific quests from pre-TBC. It"s part of the fun of leveling alts.

The only thing that puts a damper on them is the XP is usually complete shit for the time investment which turns them from an important part of your characters development into a nuisance.

Caliane

Zehn - Vhex said:
Part of it is consistency though. WoW did this a little bit with certain tradeskills. The thing was some tradeskills/classes had a lot of mini-quests, other"s didn"t and rather then commit to making it interesting, they just said, "fuck it put a trainer in every city, no more class specific quests, done!"

On top of that, things like the enchanting trainer being buried out in the middle of fucking Uldamann. Not only was that place annoying to get to, but it wasn"t exactly easy to solo to and you had to do it every 5~10 skillpoints.

But like doing the triage quest to get journeyman first aid was kinda neat. The quests to unlock totems/warrior stances/etc...were fairly enjoyable. I really do miss the class specific quests from pre-TBC. It"s part of the fun of leveling alts.

The only thing that puts a damper on them is the XP is usually complete shit for the time investment which turns them from an important part of your characters development into a nuisance.
Very true.
Triage quest is pretty awesome. They keep removing many of the quests as new content comes out, for old things. I don"t think this is related to the concept not being popular, I think its just as time goes on they are streamlining things for alts.

Btw, 2 of the best class specific quests in the game are in wrath and TBC.
Druid Flight form, and of course DK creation.

But at the same time, if im not mistaken, you dont need to do the quests for bear,cat,water anymore?

Kuro_foh

shitlord
Still have to do bear, but no need for Cat and Water.

I don"t think you ever had to a quest for Cat, it was just on the trainer. They talked about *adding* a quest for Cat Form a long time ago, but I dunno if that ever went through.

Ninen_foh

shitlord
Zehn - Vhex said:
The EXP is shit because you"re gaining character power a different way. The new stance, totem, skill level, whatever.

Now maybe the balance was or wasn"t right, but there"s room in games for quests to have alternate rewards.

Tropics_foh

shitlord
Ninen said:
The EXP is shit because you"re gaining character power a different way. The new stance, totem, skill level, whatever.
Tis true, technically if you did a game that really made the advancement be based on quests and completing content then the exp would be moot anyhow, you would be doing that quest for the bear form or that +3 to strength or that 2% run speed, or your new pet summoning spell, ect...

The more I think about this the more I hope that content based advancement like this becomes more of a reality in this gener of games.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
How about meaningful trash? No more trash for timing"s sake? Mobs other than bosses are there for pace of game and you can bitch all you want but it"s really that or WAR"s 1 mob in a lair approach.

But what if you could get to the boss with minimal fighting, and end up fighting an incredibly hard incredibly difficult encounter. If you win it drops appropriate loot.

However if you clear the minions of Bob before hand, they drop these crystal shards, the more shards you have the better. You enter Bob"s chamber and your wizard combines the shards into a staff that you now plant in the ground and the staff emits a radioactive aura that weakens Bob, and the encounter is easier, still tough, but he"s easier to kill.

The loot from the 2nd method is far "better" in some way, either more items, or more quality, but your group is rewarded for NOT taking the shortcut, and investing the time and energy to do it all.

How soon does that get stale? How do you avoid making it stale?

Kylax_foh

shitlord
Expanding on that idea...

There are 50 trash mobs in instance A.
Each mob has a random chance to drop piece of the staff.
Combining 5 pieces of the staff makes the boss drop an extra piece of loot from Bob.

Why not scale damage based on how much trash you leave up as well?
0/50 = No bonus damage
10/50 = +2% damage from players
20/50 = +4% damage from players

etc etc

Caliane

Ngruk said:
How about meaningful trash? No more trash for timing"s sake? Mobs other than bosses are there for pace of game and you can bitch all you want but it"s really that or WAR"s 1 mob in a lair approach.

But what if you could get to the boss with minimal fighting, and end up fighting an incredibly hard incredibly difficult encounter. If you win it drops appropriate loot.

However if you clear the minions of Bob before hand, they drop these crystal shards, the more shards you have the better. You enter Bob"s chamber and your wizard combines the shards into a staff that you now plant in the ground and the staff emits a radioactive aura that weakens Bob, and the encounter is easier, still tough, but he"s easier to kill.

The loot from the 2nd method is far "better" in some way, either more items, or more quality, but your group is rewarded for NOT taking the shortcut, and investing the time and energy to do it all.

Yeap, absolutely.

Your mention sounds good. It might get a little stale, as its still just killing boring trash, then killing the real boss for loot. But does suggest over time, as you get leveled/geared for the fight, you not longer have to care and can just rush to the boss. Earlier I mentioned a ZG in wow, which has tokens, rep, bijous. The trash gives rep so over time, you gear up even if you aren"t getting random drops from the bosses, and coins/tokens so you are getting potions, enchantments and loot from that as well. Taking it off the RNG so much.

I am not against doing away with the single 75ft tall boss encounter as it is, either. What if the dungeon itself was the boss? Instead of trash to get to an uber boss, the whole thing was a steady challenge and gave loot more periodically from mini-bosses.

Miele_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:

Create a staff as you say, have NPCs that have a buff aura for the boss, but can be killed beforehand, etc. are all similar system to create a hard mode encounter, that, no matter what, will go on farm after 1-2 successfull kills and become stale after 1-2 farm-mode kills.

The main issue with current day raiding is that encounters are predictable or you-tube"d with a full spoiler text on top after the first few worldwide kills.
Because mobs are (mostly) not contested in today"s MMOs, strats can be shared with impunity, this gives high end guilds an advantage obtained from cutting edge guilds and casual guilds will just reap the rewards from other people work.

As a system it benefits more the casual players because for them it would be a huge amount of work educating people on the strategy (it"s a lot easier for many to just watch a you-tube video than figuring things out), but it won"t seriously be that different from several wow hard-modes, so to say.

Less trash? I"d like to subscribe to your newsletter, but I still would like to offer a humble suggestion: static encounters that hang out in a freaking cave, ready to be pulled are what makes endless trash pulls boring, see Blackrock Depths for the epithome of boring, pointless pulls.

Make trash dynamic, first by having mobs populating a dungeon, behave as if they would be there for a purpose (sitting in circles is hardly one), make them move around the place, don"t keep encounter size fixed, but let it be splittable if a puller is good enough to time patrols (not allowing a one by one style pulling, but decently risky if the puller is careless).

Have more "unexpected" events, but not always in the same place at the same time, e.g. ghosts being able to move through walls in an abandoned catacomb could pose a problem as their pathing wouldn"t be so predictable and timing the pulls could be headache-worthy.

Add a mini-named to all your trash pulls (sort of sergeant-level mob), dropping something useful, such as recipes for tradeskilling or weapon/armor parts to be reforged or tailored into gear augments (droppable enchants so to say) alongside something that can help defeating your end boss as in your own example.

Using trash as filler is okay from a certain point of view, because it makes sense story-wise that a badass mofo is surrounded by lackeys and devotees, but as I tried to explain, it irks me when I go inside a dungeon and find only stationary groups of 4-5 mobs (in considerable amount, nonetheless) doing a circle jerk, waiting to be slaughtered.

A dungeon should last long enough to be interesting, so there is a need to fill it in ways different than loot dropping machines called bosses and that way is adding trash mobs. Spicing up trash is the right way to do things rather than removing it completely, because if all I find for dungeons are Onyxia style encounters with 2pulls-boss-2pulls-boss pacing, I think I"d get bored in a dozen days playing your game.

Take BRD: remove a few trash packs, add some mini-named, add more small events like the arena inside, add semi-unpredictable patrols like wall walking ghosts, burrowing worms, invisible mages, stealthed rogues, add interesting quests inside the place to open up parts of the dungeon and you have a good base to work on in my opinion.

A good example for me would be Unrest in EQ2, extremely fun the first time, it retains part of that fun even on subsequent runs due to how immersive the atmosphere of the place is (you can shoot me for using the word "immersive" right now).
Go kill stuff of a certain importance while being delayed by a few trash packs, some of which are avoidable by careful and smart players or killed by those that prefer to "play it safe", keep distance from the raid encounter that roams the courtyard, put in some mini puzzles (traps to be disarmed, cook a meal or play piano while defeating trash, find out the correct order to do things to progress inside the place) add some not hard but still entertaing encounters such as mirror images of a random group member attacking the party, etc. etc.

That place was a winner in my opinion, while places like WotLK 5-men instances are quite bad instead: meaningless trash that poses no challenge whatsoever, bosses with scripts going on that makes people fall asleep on keyboards while they wait for the boring speech to end (UP 1st boss is what I have in mind right now) and usefulness reduced to basically one-two week span before everyone is hitting the 1st raid zone making all dungeons obsolete quite quickly.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ngruk said:

The loot from the "easier" version of the encounter should generally be lesser in quality, no matter if it takes you 1 minute or 1 hour to clear through his trash before hand.

Think about it like this, as you start out an instance you are a little bit more open to clearing out trash, I guess is the best way to describe it. As time goes on, certain pulls become more and more painful, and you wish you could skip them every time you come back. "Rewarding" veteran players by letting them skip trash to attempt hard modes is just natural progression. WoW does this already with Freya+3 and, though not quite as much, Sarth+3.

Cowbell_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:

I know Im old school but I always liked killing trash in PoF and PoH, HoTesting, etc because the trash could drop loot that was a step up from what you could get before.

Also, is there any chance of group exp being just as meaningful as solo questing? In that same vein, any chance to have mobs like Frenzied Ghoul so that some types of camping are in the game. I miss camps.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
Cowbell said:
I know Im old school but I always liked killing trash in PoF and PoH, HoTesting, etc because the trash could drop loot that was a step up from what you could get before.

Also, is there any chance of group exp being just as meaningful as solo questing? In that same vein, any chance to have mobs like Frenzied Ghoul so that some types of camping are in the game. I miss camps.
solo quest leveling is so overdone and boring now. Of course I want to be able to solo, but when it is the fastest way to level it may as well be the only way to level.

Soloing shold never be faster than grouping. This is where WoW went wrong to me. Wow could have kept their same solo approach but made half the overworld group content and made grouping 3x faster than soloing and it would be the greatest game ever.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Except that approach doesn"t have longevity. When the bulk of your player base moves past that content and you wind up LFG for 8 hours, people log out and never log back in. Like you said, when something is the fastest way it"s the only way. If grouping is the fastest way yet you can"t get any groups, you spend 3x as much time doing it all by yourself, and that shit gets old fast.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
Except that approach doesn"t have longevity. When the bulk of your player base moves past that content and you wind up LFG for 8 hours, people log out and never log back in. Like you said, when something is the fastest way it"s the only way. If grouping is the fastest way yet you can"t get any groups, you spend 3x as much time doing it all by yourself, and that shit gets old fast.
So does soloing though, solo quest leveling is a stale and overdone mechanic now. I won"t play another game made in this format and the group I play with regularly feel the same way.

Maybe have to get creative and have a system where the more people in a zone the less solo exp you get or something outside the box like that. I am not saying this is a good solution, just saying something new needs to be done to get back to grouping IMO.

Apostle_foh

shitlord
I"ve always had this encounter idea of defending a fort. During the siege, the attackers would attack from different sides, in differing ways. That way, no matter how many times you did the encounter, it was always different. You may get different "generals", the attacks come from random directions using different types of attacks etc..

Keeping encounters random and reactionary really adds a lot of fun. The old EQ raid design of "this is a 5 cleric mob, or this one is a 4 cleric mob" got to be old because it was just a variation on the same theme over and over again.

Vodo_foh

shitlord
I think something like Left 4 Dead"s "director" could really be an amazing thing for a MMO.

It could really spice up the trash for a dungeon having it be totally random every time.

Imagine you"re fighting some bandits to help out a small town. The director decides it"s gonna attack the town and sends a few waves of bandits out randomly.

This same event might never happen again in exactly that same way.

Obviously you could tailor the mob type and number parameters to fit into the story and feel of the zone, but I agree, I"m tired of all the static monster shit, both in the open world and dungeons.

Caliane

Twobit Whore said:
Yeah, you want to encourage players to party/group, etc, but not force them.
Its the same problem with the trinity class design.
You don"t want 5 people standing around doing nothing, because they HAVE to have that one class, or 6th person in order to do a quest, whatever.
You want people to want to join a group, but not have them bored out of their minds standing around going LFG for 4 hours, if they aren"t finding one.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
This is page 162, and I"ve only skimmed most of the pages, so the idea is probably already on the table, but here goes:

Have certain mobs (bosses) reward players who kill it withcap increases. Tie it into lore: If you kill the Ogre Champion, your STR cap is increased by 2, if you kill the cunning, old dragon your WIS cap goes up by 5.

This should also encourage grouping.... you can solo all you want, but you"ll be gimped compared to the dungeon crawlers who have built up their skill caps.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
Daelos said:
This is page 162, and I"ve only skimmed most of the pages, so the idea is probably already on the table, but here goes:

Have certain mobs (bosses) reward players who kill it withcap increases. Tie it into lore: If you kill the Ogre Champion, your STR cap is increased by 2, if you kill the cunning, old dragon your WIS cap goes up by 5.

This should also encourage grouping.... you can solo all you want, but you"ll be gimped compared to the dungeon crawlers who have built up their skill caps.
so you kill a boss once and never go back again? Better have a shitload of content. Somehow it has to have replayability.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
There"s no reason to have caps in the first place. It"s just stats and more of the same old same old people claim to be tired of. How about you keep your itemization simple. None of these dozens of ratings, or strikethrough or whatever. Basic stats that have varied effects on your character, some procs.. maybe some rare focuses.. like a mage could have a staff of the ice wizard which increases frost based damage by 10%. Simple, yet effective things. WoW itemization really lost me when they went to ratings and started adding so many of them. Defense, expertise, hit, haste, arp, crit, ap, healing power, spell power, base stats, effects, etc. etc. And reading a current EQ item practically requires taking a course.