Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I would stay away from the Staff in the Hole to weaken blah encounters. It"s overused and stale. Giving meaning to trash isn"t the answer.

Edit: Here is a hint you should have your designers toy around with. Have the trash tell the story of that particular zone in increments. Make the trash fun mini encounters over stale NPC"s in mass effect. Itemization isn"t really neccessary as instead of people reading quest text, they will get the story / progression of lore through the "trash" mobs in that area one bit at a time to make it interesting.

Of course this will get stale with any zone, and trash will be cleared eventually as fast as possible. But then you have to have enough content streamed to make it worth it.

Also incorporating key puzzle answers for different dungeons within previous trash mobs for advancement purposes would help people to pay attention initially.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
The general consenus seems to be, noone has a problem with trash mobs as long as it has meaningful drops also. But when it is only a tiemblock it is crap.

For example, my guild and MANY others used to farm ToV even when the named were down for armor molds. These were "Trash" mobs but yet we farmed the hell out of them and enjoyed it.

Same thing in fear and hate you killed every mob in the zone even if the bosses were dead, you wanted the class armor sets.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Bongk said:
so you kill a boss once and never go back again? Better have a shitload of content. Somehow it has to have replayability.
The boss willalsodrop normal loot.

But, also what TW said.

Gugabuba_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
Except that approach doesn"t have longevity. When the bulk of your player base moves past that content and you wind up LFG for 8 hours, people log out and never log back in. Like you said, when something is the fastest way it"s the only way. If grouping is the fastest way yet you can"t get any groups, you spend 3x as much time doing it all by yourself, and that shit gets old fast.
Absolutely true. Which is why it is important to assume that the lower level game is going to have to change over time. Grouping shouldn"t be too difficult at any level for the first year or two of a games life, depending upon the success of the game and good server population management. So it isn"t unreasonable to have grouping be the best method of advancement at almost all levels for the first chunk of the game"s life.

After a couple years and expansions the player base naturally shifts to higher and higher level content until the lower levels become complete ghost towns. Forcing players to group or solo at slow rates of leveling is just evil at that point. So the levels that are empty need to change to accomodate new players playing in a very different population environment. Soloing needs to become easier and more beneficial and leveling faster.

EQ2 is a perfect example of how this has changed. The entire game has changed a lot since release, obviously, but the first 30 or so levels are unrecognizable compared with their original state. And that"s not a bad thing. It is necessary.

Zeste_foh

shitlord
Not that it"s totally relevant, but here"s an idea I always had:

Make bosses and players get weaker as their HP go down. King Tormax could still wipe a raid with 1% life left if you fucked, seemed it it would be way more adventurous if with 1% health left, the remaining Enchanter, Rogue, and Warrior could manage to take him down since he was weakend and didn"t move as fast or hit as hard.

Caliane

Zeste said:
Not that it"s totally relevant, but here"s an idea I always had:

Make bosses and players get weaker as their HP go down. King Tormax could still wipe a raid with 1% life left if you fucked, seemed it it would be way more adventurous if with 1% health left, the remaining Enchanter, Rogue, and Warrior could manage to take him down since he was weakend and didn"t move as fast or hit as hard.
One thing that bugged me in later WoW raid design was the one mistake and your raid wipes design that became prevalent. Due to overtuning(Gruul), or hard code like Thaddius charges. Raiding is way more fun when you can still win limping your way to the finish line.

Tropics_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
How about meaningful trash? No more trash for timing"s sake? Mobs other than bosses are there for pace of game and you can bitch all you want but it"s really that or WAR"s 1 mob in a lair approach.

But what if you could get to the boss with minimal fighting, and end up fighting an incredibly hard incredibly difficult encounter. If you win it drops appropriate loot.

However if you clear the minions of Bob before hand, they drop these crystal shards, the more shards you have the better. You enter Bob"s chamber and your wizard combines the shards into a staff that you now plant in the ground and the staff emits a radioactive aura that weakens Bob, and the encounter is easier, still tough, but he"s easier to kill.

The loot from the 2nd method is far "better" in some way, either more items, or more quality, but your group is rewarded for NOT taking the shortcut, and investing the time and energy to do it all.

How soon does that get stale? How do you avoid making it stale?
Hmm, not too bad really. This is similar to dungeon design in the Sunken Temple in all honesty, a phenomenally well designed dungeon where you have to kill the various trolls and hit switches in order to get the final bosses in the zone. Those trolls themselves don"t drop anything, but killing them is crucial to getting the later bigger bosses. Also similar to the 3 mobs in the temples in Undead Strat who were crucial to kill in order to get to the end boss. Those temple mobs did not have to drop loot at all, they were critical keys to the end as it was.

You can do things like this, switches needed to be hit in crucial areas of a dungeon in order to open up a trap door. Perhaps a Boss of a dungeon is a little of a security freak and as such he has it set up so that 4 of his minions in the dungeon have rings with specific markings on them. When someone needs to talk to the boss all 4 minions must come to a door and use those rings, which are in actuality keys on a round key stone that spins and opens the door only with all 4 rings inserted into their spots. So part of doing the dungeon is going to 4 seperate areas to get these "keys" off the named minions.

I think altering the difficulty of a boss is less of a benefit and less interesting then making the collection of crystals mandatory just to fight the boss. If it is a wizard then you can make up some reasoning that the wizard has enacted a phase shift spell and is thus incorporeal and impossible to attack until 5 different colored crystals are burned in his pressense, so the switch could be simply winging the crystals you have to collect in the dungeon into his burning fireplace and suddenly a fog of smoke wafts out of the fireplace and into the room, the wizard start yapping about "this cannot be, yadda yadda" and 5 seconds later the fight is on.

Using something like the cannon in the Deadmines as well, if you needed to collect the gunpowder in a very different area. Having to move to a different area of a dungeon just so you can hit the swtich on a drawbridge over a chasm you cannot cross otherwise. There are alot of ways you can make doing that other content interesting and required.

The fight against the last dragon in the Nexus reminds me of this in that you need to hit those orbs to get him to become attackable, only thing is the orbs are right there with him instead of spaced out all over the zone.

You could have an area of a dungeon that must be crossed that is poisonous gas and unable to be crossed by normal means. So you must fight your way to an alchemist area of the dungeon where the creatures living in the dungeon create an antidote for the poison they use to cross that area when they need to, loot the stuff off a table in the alchemy lab, and you are off to go through that area now with your 2 minute poison immunity buff.

The only thing is, I don"t like the system as much if it is simply for reducing the power of the boss or adding phat lewts, if the reduction in power is the difference in "ok now we can kill him" and "holy smokes, he just AOE 1 shotted us all" in which case it is mandatory then I like it and the loot can simply be the loot. In order to make a mob like this the boss could be a lich and in order to be able to kill him requires destroying his phylactery and other important pieces before you actually attack him or he simply regenerates and wipes your group out, yammering things like "you think you can destroy me, I am immortal as long as my phylactery is secure fools" so that you at least know what you missed.

Caliane

Tropics said:
Hmm, not too bad really. This is similar to dungeon design in the Sunken Temple in all honesty, a phenomenally well designed dungeon where you have to kill the various trolls and hit switches in order to get the final bosses in the zone. Those trolls themselves don"t drop anything, but killing them is crucial to getting the later bigger bosses. Also similar to the 3 mobs in the temples in Undead Strat who were crucial to kill in order to get to the end boss. Those temple mobs did not have to drop loot at all, they were critical keys to the end as it was.

You can do things like this, switches needed to be hit in crucial areas of a dungeon in order to open up a trap door. Perhaps a Boss of a dungeon is a little of a security freak and as such he has it set up so that 4 of his minions in the dungeon have rings with specific markings on them. When someone needs to talk to the boss all 4 minions must come to a door and use those rings, which are in actuality keys on a round key stone that spins and opens the door only with all 4 rings inserted into their spots. So part of doing the dungeon is going to 4 seperate areas to get these "keys" off the named minions.

I think altering the difficulty of a boss is less of a benefit and less interesting then making the collection of crystals mandatory just to fight the boss. If it is a wizard then you can make up some reasoning that the wizard has enacted a phase shift spell and is thus incorporeal and impossible to attack until 5 different colored crystals are burned in his pressense, so the switch could be simply winging the crystals you have to collect in the dungeon into his burning fireplace and suddenly a fog of smoke wafts out of the fireplace and into the room, the wizard start yapping about "this cannot be, yadda yadda" and 5 seconds later the fight is on.

Using something like the cannon in the Deadmines as well, if you needed to collect the gunpowder in a very different area. Having to move to a different area of a dungeon just so you can hit the swtich on a drawbridge over a chasm you cannot cross otherwise. There are alot of ways you can make doing that other content interesting and required.

The fight against the last dragon in the Nexus reminds me of this in that you need to hit those orbs to get him to become attackable, only thing is the orbs are right there with him instead of spaced out all over the zone.

You could have an area of a dungeon that must be crossed that is poisonous gas and unable to be crossed by normal means. So you must fight your way to an alchemist area of the dungeon where the creatures living in the dungeon create an antidote for the poison they use to cross that area when they need to, loot the stuff off a table in the alchemy lab, and you are off to go through that area now with your 2 minute poison immunity buff.

The only thing is, I don"t like the system as much if it is simply for reducing the power of the boss or adding phat lewts, if the reduction in power is the difference in "ok now we can kill him" and "holy smokes, he just AOE 1 shotted us all" in which case it is mandatory then I like it and the loot can simply be the loot. In order to make a mob like this the boss could be a lich and in order to be able to kill him requires destroying his phylactery and other important pieces before you actually attack him or he simply regenerates and wipes your group out, yammering things like "you think you can destroy me, I am immortal as long as my phylactery is secure fools" so that you at least know what you missed.
So you don"t just want to mindlessly kill trash on the way to the boss, you want to mindlessly kill trash to points A,B,and C, to unlock the gate, so you can mindlessly kill trash on they way to the boss.
I think you totally missed the point...

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Toxxulian said:
Some type of "Mentoring" system really helps with forced grouping though.
Any MMO that comes out from EQ2 onward that does/did not allow mentoring is, imo, missing a MASSIVE incentive and player retention tool.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Caliane said:
So you don"t just want to mindlessly kill trash on the way to the boss, you want to mindlessly kill trash to points A,B,and C, to unlock the gate, so you can mindlessly kill trash on they way to the boss.
The hardest thing to avoid, and it really is unavoidable in many cases, is having players replay content.

Unless you hit on a random content generator that creates bad ass totally random FUN AND MEANINGFUL content, it"s next to impossible.

If you are telling a story, a TRUE DYED IN THE WOOL story, with iconic heroes, villains, plot, sub plots, beginnings, middles, ends, it IS impossible.

It really comes down to work. As in the amount of work you are willing to PAY FOR, and assign time to, in content creation.

Mr Element_foh

shitlord
I must be in the minority, but killing trash mobs to get to epic encounters doesn"t bother me. I want boss fights and cool encounters to be special and rare, so going through monotonous content to get to the "reward" is fine with me. If the trash mobs rarely dropped useable stuff (like PoH and PoF mentioned before), then thats even better.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
Caliane said:
making trash "required" will not make it more fun or acceptable. If everyone killing it gets absolutely nothing from it, it is broken IMO.

Since to raid you really are max lvl and WoW has no AA or alternate advanvcement an trash has no drops, it is a compelte and utter failure. Somehow everything has to serve a purpose of some kind.

Yes I know early level trash mobs in say gnomergan might not have loot and you have to kill them but you are getting EXP which is advancing your character. Killing trash at max lvl with no drops or any form of advancement? Pointless and stupid.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
To build on this premise of "Trash" mobs and using EQ as an example.

Is it just me or where zones with nice but rare random loot drops much more enjoyable to hunt in? Compare say hunting in Guk to hunting in Sebilis.

In Guk you better grab a named camp or just leave because you had no loot coming to you at all. But yet if everything was camped in Sebilis it wasn"t torture just killing at the zone in as you got spells and had a chance at zonewide random rares like the haste cloak and belt, juggs had random rares like the blade of the green dragon eye or whatever it was.

These were highly sought after and valuable items that really made even mindless trash killing much more acceptable to me.

EQ built on this with the hotzone random drops. I was so glad they left those drops in when the zone was no longer hotzones. Every zone in every game should have random good loot and trash from raid zones should be even a step higher IMO ala Temple of Veeshan but with more variety in what the rewards may be.

When i dont even want to loot a mob because i know it has nothing, something is wrong. I want to feel excitement every dead corpse I click.

Clerica_foh

shitlord
Make a progression type server. When people kill certain bosses it unlocks more content for them. You can have both raid and group bosses/progression.

If you have raids maybe design them so that you would still need a balanced group to complete them. 4 groups have to kill 4 mini bosses to get access to 2 lt bosses which need to be killed to get to the final boss. Sorta like how Time was in EQ.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Fear/Hate shows you can make trash enjoyable to kill/farm as they had pretty nice chances to drop meaningful loot all the time. I remember when I first did MC in WoW and you"d be lucky to get one drop out of all the trash in the zone. They did retune it eventually but it was still a poor droprate compared to how much trash you had to clear.

It all depends on the zone design though. Fear/Hate were designed to have trash farming where MC really wasn"t.

Wigglewood_foh

shitlord
Vodo4321 said:
I think something like Left 4 Dead"s "director" could really be an amazing thing for a MMO.

It could really spice up the trash for a dungeon having it be totally random every time.

Imagine you"re fighting some bandits to help out a small town. The director decides it"s gonna attack the town and sends a few waves of bandits out randomly.

This same event might never happen again in exactly that same way.

Obviously you could tailor the mob type and number parameters to fit into the story and feel of the zone, but I agree, I"m tired of all the static monster shit, both in the open world and dungeons.
Are there any MMO"s that have done something like this? It sounds terrifying. Imagine a zone like Lower Guk that worked like a left 4 dead level, it would be brutal.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Ninen said:
We"ve kind of gotten past this point in the discussion, but today"s Penny Arcade is just as applicable to MMOs as it is to tabletop D&D.

Every MMO needs a Tycho.

Penny Arcade! - A Perennial Favorite

TLDR: Fear of death/losing is a good thing.
Eh, it"s not entirely applicable. MMO"s are perfectly fine with killing you off. The difference between dying in a DnD campaign and losing some/all of your progress is then the DM can come up with an entirely new adventure for an entirely new band of adventurers.

He doesn"t just bust out the old campaigns and say, "Alright, time to do them all over again!"

In an MMO, this is more akin to the game deleting all your characters at level 30 and then telling you to go play a different MMO. Not exactly a very good business model even if it would create a sense of dread.

We want that sense of danger but we want it to never actually happen to us. In that case they might as well go 1984 on our ass and do a daily announcement of all the people who died and their characters were PERMANANTLY DELETED OOOOO! just never actually do it. Then create random forum troll accounts to talk about how it"s true, it happened to them and they even rerolled!