Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Come on people. Don"t turn this into yet another Ut vs. the world thread. Don"t get me wrong, I love reading them as much as the next guy but confine it to one place please.

ruination_foh

shitlord
It"s clear to me now. Utnayan IS Brad McQuaid. Always bringing attention to him, talking about him... How could we have not known this earlier?

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
About time people call out Utnayan as the idiot he is. He shits up threads just like Makata did/does. This thread was really good till he showed his dumbass face in it. All we need now is Dumar to pipe in to fully shit up the thread.

Veil_foh

shitlord
What kind of pathetic asshat is still trying to rest on the laurels of outing vanguard, name dropping on "the cities" like it matters, and throwing out an "omg my parody post owned you".

Is this p.o.s. for real? I get a serious vibe of people trying to stroke him for fear of the kind of retribution his mouth will unleash when his fragile ego gets nicked.

If anything i"m a bit sad that ngruk even acknowledged his existance. I would have gained much satisfaction imagining utnayan wallowing in self pity over if ngruk possibly had him on ignore.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I"ll repeat...

Since it got lost in all the Utnayan love.

Countdown to who he hired in 3...2...1...
I just hope to Christ you didn"t hire the guy - because if this is confirmed, you can kiss your game and reputation good bye.

Edit: And on this one I really do not know much. I just heard a rumor flying around.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I hope he hires Brad just so your head nerd rage explodes and then we"ll be done with you. Then he can fire him because his job will be done.

Tropics_foh

shitlord
Utnayan said:
Because of this
I am willing to bet that Curt counts himself as a fantasy "dork" as much as the rest of us.

I did not take offense from that in the slightest, I AM a fantasy Dork, and I play pro level 8/9 and 10-ball which unfortunately pays substantially less then being a major league pitcher.

I am pretty sure ALOT of the fantasy loving dorks on this forum have alot more going for them then just a MMORPG habit and are not fat bed ridden losers that have nothing more to do in their life but play a MMORPG and dream about living a "real" life and making "real" friends. You just might be underestimating the average person here, we don"t need defending, and if me and you ever play some pool in the bar for beers rest assured, you will be buying, which is only fair since the sport you play at a pro level actually pays well.

Tropics_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:
Curt apparently tried to put McQuaid on a pedastel, and called some peeps dorks. Ut got pissed about the McQuaid thing, and took the dork thing personally. Then Ut dropped some hints eluding to his secret rockstar identity, and is trying to drive Curt batshit crazy trying to figure out who he is.

Yeah. That about sums it up
I will be honest though, it is a solid 3 pages of entertainment that the dork in me is enjoying.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Tropics said:
I will be honest though, it is a solid 3 pages of entertainment that the dork in me is enjoying.
Definitely

But for Curt"s sake, and the sake of his plans, I seriously hope Ut is wrong about this one. I"m not nearly as big on fantasy as I am sci-fi and post apoc, but I still wouldn"t mind another decent fantasy game to fiddle around in while waiting for the game I really want to play.

But if Ut"s right in calling this one, i"ll definitely look elsewhere.

Drave_foh

shitlord
Ngruk hires Brad, and drama ensues ? BFD. Just make adamn goodgame (don"t promote a shitty, brown game), and all is well. Maybe.

Tropics_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:
But if Ut"s right in calling this one, i"ll definitely look elsewhere.
If you kept Brad McQuaid in a cage ala Memmio in the TV series "Rome", throwing him the odd scrap of meat at him, you might actually get the odd reasonable idea grunted at ya amidst all the gibberish.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Tropics said:
If you kept Brad McQuaid in a cage ala Memmio in the TV series "Rome", throwing him the odd scrap of meat at him, you might actually get the odd reasonable idea grunted at ya amidst all the gibberish.
You may be right, but forgive my skepticism. The real hurdle isn"t selling people on McQuaid, if thats whats coming down the pike. It could do more harm than good, potentially. No, the real hurdle is launching yet another fantasy game into a sea of fantasy games, with WoW sitting firmly at the top. And lets face it, thats what ANY new name has to stand up against to be considered a success in this era of the genre.

Most of us realise that success is a matter of perception. If the gameplay is compelling and diverse enough to maintain a healthy and consistant playerbase, it will succeed. Hopefully to thier, and our expectations, at least.

We"ll know soon enough I suppose.

Believe_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:
And lets face it, thats what ANY new name has to stand up against to be considered a success in this era of the genre.
To who? I guarantee any MMO developer isn"t holding their breath trying to reach WoW numbers, or ever expect to.

WoW was/is a phenomenon, it"s pretty ridiculous to consider anything that doesn"t reach that level to be a failure.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Utnayan said:
I"ll repeat...

Since it got lost in all the Utnayan love.

I just hope to Christ you didn"t hire the guy - because if this is confirmed, you can kiss your game and reputation good bye.

Edit: And on this one I really do not know much. I just heard a rumor flying around.
I"m pretty sure very few people outside this forums know who Brad is, or care. Heck, honestly, I"m fairly sure when Curt"s game come out...most people won"t even know who he is or care.

They"ll try the game if it looks fun/interesting...and they"ll keep playing it if it is...regardless of who designed it.

Mippo_foh

shitlord
It isn"t that hard to turn a profit in the industry simply based on the level of competition. A lot of games are still getting a few hundred thousand subscribers with fundamental flaws in the core game design. WoW does not have any quality competition. WoW"s success has as much to do with what WoW did right as it does with what these other games are doing wrong.

While WoW probably won"t be toppled anytime soon, there is a large market out there that does not like WoW and is waiting on another quality MMORPG to come out. A well designed game could probably at the very least pull a few million customers over 6-12 months. As long as that potential market exists it makes sense for people to continue producing games as somebody eventually has to get it right.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Believe said:
To who? I guarantee any MMO developer isn"t holding their breath trying to reach WoW numbers, or ever expect to.

WoW was/is a phenomenon, it"s pretty ridiculous to consider anything that doesn"t reach that level to be a failure.
Did you even bother reading past the part you cherry picked for contention? I wasn"t even thinking about WoW"s numbers.

Try reading things in thier entirety before you stick your foot in your mouth again.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Mippo said:
While WoW probably won"t be toppled anytime soon, there is a large market out there that does not like WoW and is waiting on another quality MMORPG to come out. A well designed game could probably at the very least pull a few million customers over 6-12 months. As long as that potential market exists it makes sense for people to continue producing games as somebody eventually has to get it right.
That"s really the crux of it. VG/War/AoC/etc...showed that there is a significant population looking for something else. It"s just so far all they"ve gotten is a shittier version of WoW with one or two colored stripes stapled to the design so that the developers could say, "See? Different!"

There doesn"t appear to be much on the radar that will hit that goal though. Star Wars is looking like it"s going to be a massive mulitplayer singler-player game with an actual end to it. Mortal Online will fail massively once people realize that reality sucks. Aion is going to be one of those "500,000 boxes sold!" followed by "Why do we only have 50,000 active subs...?" a month later as people realize it"s more of the same games. Champions Online is just City of Heroes redone by idiots with updated graphics.

FFxiv might be interesting but we"ll have to wait for more details. Depends on if they learned from FFxi or if they launch with the same mistakes.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Right or wrong, Utnayan enjoys being in a position of universal loathing. You"re giving him what he wants. And on the other hand many of you suck up to Ngruk an unhealthy amount. *golf clap for the lemmings*

Going to have to agree with Zehn. There is plenty of potential to take on WoW. Unfortunately every product out there has twice the flaws, an eerily similar premise, and lacks the critical mass to propel it upwards. The component these designers have the most control over, the flaws, they constantly overlook. The second thing they can control is critical massat launch. They will have a fuckton of people playing when they go gold if they"re even average, but if the game is full of flaws everyone will quit in droves and word of mouth won"t be in their favor to double and triple the playerbase. Polish is paramount to first impressions.

Furthermore, Ngruk has stated more than once that he is actually aiming for WoW, which is a laudable goal. We should all hope he attains the success he seeks regardless of our beliefs since it will improve the genre.