Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
There"d be a schlew of no fly zones as well due to there being area"s you"re not to supposed to get too yet. Which is why I pretty much any content the add that"s attached to the old world will most likely have portals directy to it. Grim Batol, Gilneas, etc...will most likely all be handled like sunwell island was and just be a patch update to an expansion.

Personally I won"t play any game from this point on without in game flying everywhere at some point. Developers have too much of a hardon for mountains and random impassable objects for me to put up with it otherwise. Grizzly Hills can go suck a fuck without flying. 8(

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Well you could put a limit on the Z axis in the old world. Maybe twice the height you can jump? Make the mount a goblin hovercraft or something.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Zehn - Vhex said:
There"d be a schlew of no fly zones as well due to there being area"s you"re not to supposed to get too yet. Which is why I pretty much any content the add that"s attached to the old world will most likely have portals directy to it. Grim Batol, Gilneas, etc...will most likely all be handled like sunwell island was and just be a patch update to an expansion.

Personally I won"t play any game from this point on without in game flying everywhere at some point. Developers have too much of a hardon for mountains and random impassable objects for me to put up with it otherwise. Grizzly Hills can go suck a fuck without flying. 8(
I agree.

Thing is, in Beta 2 in WoW you could fly around on bugged Wind Riders. They also had druid flying mounts planned before they announced the scrapping of it. I also had limited Z-axis control when it did bug. Implementing this today wouldn"t take as much work as they lead on to believe. But it would take away from new content and honestly, revisiting old content is not their goal.

Edit: Echo what Draegan said. I think people would be fine with 280% movement speed but barely off the ground, or on the ground itself, in the old world. Mostly because they want to mess around, or because they are leveling a new gathering trade.

Erumaron

ResetEra Staff Member
Zehn mentioned it basically but they could do it with invisible walls to keep you from going over mountains that weren"t designed to be flown over and what not. It would be half assed though without going and making a lot of the old terrain flow together better and that"s pretty much not the Blizzard way.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Utnayan said:
Edit: Echo what Draegan said. I think people would be fine with 280% movement speed but barely off the ground, or on the ground itself, in the old world. Mostly because they want to mess around, or because they are leveling a new gathering trade.
It"s not the movement speed as much as going over rivers and gorges etc like in EPL so you don"t have to go around them.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
That would pretty much work as well. Oh, and if you add mounts, make goddamn sure it"s instant-cast. Add a 3-second cast if you"ve just been engaged in PvP or something if you really want but for fucks sake. Realism is out the door when I can already carry an entire goddamn stable in my pants so just give me convenience.

And fuck you if you keep denying my request to make all mounts instant for the next 4 years because it"s supposed to be a "class perk" for druids just like portals are a class perk for mages. Not even the same ballpark you assholes.

Campa_foh

shitlord
Zehn - Vhex said:
That would pretty much work as well. Oh, and if you add mounts, make goddamn sure it"s instant-cast. Add a 3-second cast if you"ve just been engaged in PvP or something if you really want but for fucks sake. Realism is out the door when I can already carry an entire goddamn stable in my pants so just give me convenience.

And fuck you if you keep denying my request to make all mounts instant for the next 4 years because it"s supposed to be a "class perk" for druids just like portals are a class perk for mages. Not even the same ballpark you assholes.
I wouldn"t mind the cast time so much if it worked like VG and you could move (albeit slowly) while casting.

Tropics_foh

shitlord
Wolfen said:
This is a little worrying.

According to Scott Hartsman"s bio on his personal blog he has been with Sony Online Entertainment for over six years and his first SOE credit is EverQuest: Shadows of Luclin.
Luclin is not exactly the expansion I would want a guy to first be involved with. Kunark was a tremendous expansion, Velious was very good as far as purely high end content focused expansions go, Luclin brought in the AH, space aliens, a sickening amount of model reuse from trash all the way to bosses, obscene raid level farming key quests that even a hard ass like myself makes me want to puke looking back.

EQ2 which is another thing he was involved in was a train wreck for me with the destruction of racial starting areas, the entire world instanced including bloody outdoor zones "would you like to enter West Commons 3 or 4?". The Faydark expansion where I gave the game a second chance because I wanted to see Crushbone, Mistmore, and all that other good stuff 500 years later boggled my mind with goofy vertical cliffs and cat scratch mats you had to climb to get places. The predominant design of the landscape being "valleys and cliffs everywhere to make Greater Fay into an annoying as hell maze".

There are some qualities of POP I actually liked. The keyed raid progression was a cool thing although I think there needed to be allowances where only a certain percentage of people in the raid needed to be keyed, perhaps 50% since each person who is keyed can take one extra person or what have you. The requirement that every single person needed to be keyed through dozens of different raids ended up being a gong show and a giant pain in the ass.

What they SHOULD have done is make the keys tag not only to the individual player, but to the guild as a whole. Thus if you are on a raid and kill the key boss you get keyed, your guild also receives a guild key that allows anyone with the guild the same access. If a person quits the guild who had actually run the raid they keep the key they earned. If a person who joined the guild and got the benefit from the guild key but had not in fact been there and earned it was to quit the guild they would no longer have that guild allowed access. This would have kept that feeling of progression in POP without making people want to stick a icepick in one ear and out the other every time they got 3 new members to the guild who were unkeyed.

Anyhow, back to the point, what was this guys input in some of those brutal turns EQ and EQ2 made?

Kuro_foh

shitlord
Hartsman came into a controlling role on EQ2 late, he was the one who was busily working on fixing EQ2s shit around EoF and trying to shine up the product nice and respectable like. He did a good job.

Then he left and his immediate successor lost any trust and/or rapport Hartsman had built up within 4 days, if I remember precisely, as he was caught abusing his power to help buddies. It was hilarious/sad.

And then Aeralik showed up. We do not speak of the Dark(elf) Times.

I dunno what he was involved in in Luclin, but he did a damn good job on EQ2. He walked into a shitstorm and managed to settle it into decent repair. It was too bad his successors weren"t able to follow suit.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Also, and keep this on the down low, if you send Hartsman five dollars and your address, he"ll come to your house and cuddle with you and tell you everything is alright and that he"ll make the bad MMO stop.

I"ve had to use this service several times, usually everytime some developer of an MMO in late beta says, "No seriously guys, we"ve got a patch that fixes all this shit. We have a ton more content we"re holding back for release."

Zaphid_foh

shitlord
Zehn - Vhex said:
Also, and keep this on the down low, if you send Hartsman five dollars and your address, he"ll come to your house and cuddle with you and tell you everything is alright and that he"ll make the bad MMO stop.

I"ve had to use this service several times, usually everytime some developer of an MMO in late beta says, "No seriously guys, we"ve got a patch that fixes all this shit. We have a ton more content we"re holding back for release."
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Zehn - Vhex again.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
"No seriously guys, we"ve got a patch that fixes all this shit. We have a ton more content we"re holding back for release."
Have any companies (other than maybe Sigil) actually come out and said this? I"ve seen a lot of fanboys for various MMO"s throw that line around, but fans will say anything.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I think AoC and Hellgate testers were both told that there was awesome stuff on the internal build.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Azrayne said:
Have any companies (other than maybe Sigil) actually come out and said this? I"ve seen a lot of fanboys for various MMO"s throw that line around, but fans will say anything.
Every release Funcom has ever thrown out the door.

Tropics_foh

shitlord
Zehn - Vhex said:
If the guy actually listens to the concerns of the players on certain key issues, and then follows through with action getting the stuff actually fixed, ya I can go with someone like that. Cannot imagine the guy sucks given the tough crowd here that he has impressed, his resume freaked me out but I will go with you guys on here who seem to know what you are talking about and who I agree with a large amount of the time on MMORPG stuff.