Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
Unless I"m mistaken, Curt and co. have been looking for an appropriate investor since it was still known as Green Monster Games, and it"s always been said they"d need a minimum of $50 million to do the game justice.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
You should carry around some balls with you so when they pull something like that you can throw some high heat and buzz their friggin tower!

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Oh, and just do what Sony etc...do when they"re scrapped for cash. Create a smaller company to funnel cash in by releasing hentai rape dating games in Japan. You"ll make ridiculous bank.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Zehn - Vhex said:
Oh, and just do what Sony etc...do when they"re scrapped for cash. Create a smaller company to funnel cash in by releasing hentai rape dating games in Japan. You"ll make ridiculous bank.
But w/ some sort of baseball/pro sports angle

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wait wait wait, it"s launching in December 2010? Shit when"s beta start, hook a brother up.

Horse_foh

shitlord
rangoth said:
I think that is a stupid concept and mentality.

So what do you do when the other half of the population that can"t do shit leave the game and you have no one left to curb stomp? Fucking stupid.

I have no problem getting my teeth kicked in during PvP...I would only give myself a B- or so at PvP, I am NOT good at it. But if I loose I want it to be because the other guy is better, not because he has double my stats from gear.

The only reason you want that kind of game is because you can play all day in whatever uber PvP guild you are part of and own the server.

That being said, I am ok with, and in fact even FOR, open world meaningful PvP. Objectives, castles, dungeons, whatever....but there should not be a gear thing involved. Make the reward something else.
Zzz. The answer is both.

Have parts where gear matter, and winning the open world means winning some level of PVE then using it to PVP. EQ1 pvp and politics worked just fine.

Then have parts, like WoW arena, except rather than making it a new form of shitty gear progression have like what they did with the tournament servers: everyone can pick what they use and stfu.

my favorite pvp games go against your rules. UO and shadowbane. part of getting your shit pushed in by someone higher is that one day you will be higher and can save the little guys and kill those. Much like the griffin in ECommonlands. One day I"ll level up and kill that fucking thing.

Hon/dota is largely irrelevant to this discussion outside of the idea that you can incorporate that sort of skill play into a mmo and win.

you might as well be talking about how quake is teh ultimite bludsport or whatever if you strip gear out of a PVP MMO.

the entire point of the persistent world is so that your 1s and 0s get stored so the next time you go your power is the same. i can"t imagine the point of an mmo without power gaining progression.

why would i pay monthly for turn-based dice rolling quake if i"m not buying into a part of their server driven world?

Guildwars did the progression right, (or i should say the option to skip it) but it was missing the captivating plot/story shit. wow needs to have a parallel tournament to arenas that people can play with any gear they want. those WC3 bonus missions were like "holy fuck, what if this was an mmo?"

EVE is mushroom. I"d kill for a not ridiculously fucking tedious game at the core of those politics/pvp systems. Fuck, I"d like eve better if it was in ascii

Stoerm_foh

shitlord
"Adding to the company's need for cash, in May, Schilling and Close made a risky deal, acquiring a Maryland game development studio called Big Huge Games. Close says the acquisition will enable 38 Studios to develop versions of its game not just for personal computers, but also for gaming consoles like Microsoft's Xbox 360."

I hope this is not true. If this game is going to be playable/marketed on a console ... then this entire thread is bullshit.

Stoerm_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Change jobs, media remains the same....
The actual quote was "It takes anywhere from 50-100mm to make a large MMO"
Not that we were looking for that. We never even spoke about what we were looking for.
Oh and my "investment" is closer to 30 than to 10, not 5.
Unless the article changed, none of your above points were misrepresented. Media is terrible on facts, yes, but ... what?

PS. You"ve got huge balls to invest so much in this. I hope it pays off in spades.

Kuro_foh

shitlord
Well, if it"s slated for both computers and Consoles, at least you won"t have to worry about EQ2 "Too many buttons"!

Or something.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Someone needs to make a new console MMO. EQOA was great, but I think it came too early, before online console gaming and the MMO genre really took off.

Mr Element_foh

shitlord
Everything I"ve read, heard and watched about Curt"s IP and the whole multiple platform thing led me to believe Copernicus would be an MMO; there would be a Copernicus console game that ties into the story/characters/world of the mmo and there would be other products that do likewise. I don"t think the game is going to be cross platform like FFXI.

Ukerric_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Change jobs, media remains the same....
The actual quote was "It takes anywhere from 50-100mm to make a large MMO"
Hey, it"s Cuppy"s fault!

The Boston Globe said "it takes $50 to more than $100 to complete that kind of game", which translated as "it takes $50 to $100mmore...". The old word-of-mouth exercice strikes back. Massively didn"t even check the tweet vs the original.

findar_foh

shitlord
Azrayne said:
Someone needs to make a new console MMO. EQOA was great, but I think it came too early, before online console gaming and the MMO genre really took off.
i"ve been holding back but the first big mmo on consoles will be something very similar to dragonica/maple story. simple to design, simple to play, and entirely funded by microtransactions(maybe a small buy in, $5? $10?). both psn and xbox live have a micro transaction system already in place, with xbox taking the edge on this one. in a case like this your priority is on the art / database team and not so much on amazing coders.

hell i"m surprised a small studio hasn"t been smart enough to do this honestly. hire 2-3 art buddies out of college, 1-2 guys on engine, 1-2 guys on database. the game starts simple, 1-20 levels with a loot system similar to dragonica"s (white>green>blue>orange>purple with random stats, can craft things and enchant, etc). have 2-3 dungeons where you can redo them at different difficulty levels, but don"t change the overall length. an easy dungeon shouldn"t be 1/4th as long as the hard dugeon, but the npcs should be easier. make a final dungeon that"s all puzzles / jumping, put 1 "end" boss at this. while people are chewing on this, make the next 20 levels. etc etc.

the model basically funds itself and gives players an "end" in case the team falls apart for whatever reason. use micro transactions for mostly fluff stuff, but other things like XP res, insurance, specialty teleport items, etc.

Gecko_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Oh and my "investment" is closer to 30 than to 10, not 5.
Imagine how much more cash you could"ve generated on the market..

Oh, wait.

That reminds me to go check my 401k to generate some anger for my workout.

Gallenite said:
Same day that they posted some guy"s school project as "Twilight MMO in development."

Not Massively"s best day ever.
Ha. I haven"t had an RSS subscription to Massively for a while due to the poor content and writing. It seems I"m not missing much.