Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Stoerm said:
"Adding to the company?s need for cash, in May, Schilling and Close made a risky deal, acquiring a Maryland game development studio called Big Huge Games. Close says the acquisition will enable 38 Studios to develop versions of its game not just for personal computers, but also for gaming consoles like Microsoft?s Xbox 360."

I hope this is not true. If this game is going to be playable/marketed on a console ... then this entire thread is bullshit.
It"s not. But there is no reason to not use other games, other platforms, as ways to tell you the HUGE story of Copernicus.

BHG is very far along in development on an RPG that now has Copernicus as it"s content. Just saw the latest build yesterday and it looks gorgeous.

Adding Ken Ralston and Mark and Ike, the guys behind Oblivion, to RA"s original world, has been pretty breathtaking to watch unfold.

Jaybee

Silver Knight of the Realm
James said:
Wait wait wait, it"s launching in December 2010? Shit when"s beta start, hook a brother up.
When they announce beta, Ngruk is going to break some sort of private message record on these forums.

Quince_foh

shitlord
jaybee said:
When they announce beta, Ngruk is going to break some sort of private message record on these forums.
Lol no kidding. Pssst hey buddy, remember me back on page 3 of this thread when I said you should have cool looking monsters in your game that drop cool loot? Ya you TOTALLY OWE me a beta slot now. KTHXBYE

Kuro_foh

shitlord
Well, the primary purpose of posting in this thread is Message Board Fellatio=>1337 Beta Inf0z (Or, alternatively, trying to wave an attention whore sign that says HEY, HEY CURT, I KNOW ABOUT GAMES, HIRE ME), just like the Vanguard thread was, so that wouldn"t surprise me.

I hope a new thread is created when there"s actually anything concrete to be said, and this one gets shunted to the Game Design Theory sub-forum where 99% of its content belongs Many of the conversations have been fun, but it seems to contain a lot of retreading and trying to "beat" other people in front of Curt in hopes of impressing him.

Tropics_foh

shitlord
Horse said:
Then have parts, like WoW arena, except rather than making it a new form of shitty gear progression have like what they did with the tournament servers: everyone can pick what they use and stfu.
For arena types of events like that where you attempt to equalize gear I would say create a standard gear/weapon set for each class that is PVP specific. In all reality PVP is most interesting when people are NOT one shotting people and a bad RNG role is getting you insta-killed. This means gear should be fairly heavy on survival stats, stam, hps, defence, ect... and pretty light on the offensive stats. Of course tweaking will take place to find that proper balance, but in WOW and most other MMO games with PVP RNG can roll over you regardless of skill and alot of that is because of the gear being heavy on the offensive stats with little survivability. When this happens people then HAVE to gear up with that huge offense and just pray for a sweet roll in the first 3 seconds of combat.

My point is, the gear sets should be standard. You don"t pick pieces, you get the warrior arena gladiator weapon and armor and you go do battle with others in their standard PVP gear set. If you REALLY want to make gear a non-issue in PVP this is the easiest way to do it for arena types of encounters.

gnomad_foh

shitlord
Tropics said:
For arena types of events like that where you attempt to equalize gear I would say create a standard gear/weapon set for each class that is PVP specific. In all reality PVP is most interesting when people are NOT one shotting people and a bad RNG role is getting you insta-killed. This means gear should be fairly heavy on survival stats, stam, hps, defence, ect... and pretty light on the offensive stats. Of course tweaking will take place to find that proper balance, but in WOW and most other MMO games with PVP RNG can roll over you regardless of skill and alot of that is because of the gear being heavy on the offensive stats with little survivability. When this happens people then HAVE to gear up with that huge offense and just pray for a sweet roll in the first 3 seconds of combat.

My point is, the gear sets should be standard. You don"t pick pieces, you get the warrior arena gladiator weapon and armor and you go do battle with others in their standard PVP gear set. If you REALLY want to make gear a non-issue in PVP this is the easiest way to do it for arena types of encounters.
Works in every FPS and really what is an arena or a BG for that matter other then a FPS instance?

I have always wanted gear to be a non-sequitor in these type of environs and even in world PvP the gear should have no effect on your stats.

Stats only need to apply to PvE so that individual skill determines who wins PvP fights, not who can macro, exploit, poop sock, etc the most.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
gnomad said:
<snip>

Stats only need to apply to PvE so that individual skill determines who wins PvP fights, not who can macro, exploit, poop sock, etc the most.
You see Pre-ToA DAOC was like this. Everybody that was even semi-serious for PVP/RVR had the gear they were comfortable with and it was pretty much a even playing field gear wise for everybody. There were still some raid dungeon drops but nothing that gave somebody an immense advantage in RVR. You had to do some work to get the gear but all it required was you farm some cash or actually level a tradeskill(which was a PITA). You would buy your crafted armor and weapons and put your own stats on your gear with the spellcrafting tradeskil(or whatever it was called I forget). It was a perfect system for PVP.

Then Mythic released ToA and fucked it all up. They made gear that un-evened the playing field and people left in droves when wow came out. I still feel to this day they would have had more people stick around after WoW if ToA didn"t come out.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
What makes it sad is that the zones themselves were actually really cool.

The fights were horribly awkward and buggy, but that was more a side effect of Mythics horrible pve design/mechanics than the content itself. The zones were amazingly designed, the artwork and music was fantastic and it was a joy just to run around exploring and soaking in the ambience.

It"s a shame it was all wasted on the ridiculous notion that the DAoC playerbase actually enjoyed that agonizing kind of grinding and large scale content.

Had the ML"s been group quests, the scrolls been common drops, the artifacts had a 100% drop rate and a regular respawn and the artifact levelling nonexistant, it would have been a really fun, worthwhile addition to the game. You"d level up, spend a day or two going through the ToA content to get decked out, then be ready for RvR. Instead they kept it as an agonizing, frustrating abortion of game content that made me want to stab my eyes out at the very thought of levelling up another character and preparing it to be competative in rvr.

Bellstian_foh

shitlord
I"m confused, is the console game going to be an off-shoot title or is Copernicus going to be released on 360/ps3 also?

If the answer is yes then I have to admit I"m extremely skeptical about it; how do you not dumb the game down in order to have it fully functional on a console? Wasn"t AoC designed at it"s inception to be a 360 title? That would explain why there were so many loading screens. Any game post WoW should not have loading screens except for instancing.

Oblivion would be another good example of the console limiting factor. That game had one of the worst interfaces ever along with some very questionable design decisions. Morrowind was the better game overall, and it was designed only with the PC in mind.

Mr Element_foh

shitlord
Locithon said:
I"m confused, is the console game going to be an off-shoot title or is Copernicus going to be released on 360/ps3 also?

If the answer is yes then I have to admit I"m extremely skeptical about it; how do you not dumb the game down in order to have it fully functional on a console? Wasn"t AoC designed at it"s inception to be a 360 title? That would explain why there were so many loading screens. Any game post WoW should not have loading screens except for instancing.

Oblivion would be another good example of the console limiting factor. That game had one of the worst interfaces ever along with some very questionable design decisions. Morrowind was the better game overall, and it was designed only with the PC in mind.
um, l2r?

"It"s not. But there is no reason to not use other games, other platforms, as ways to tell you the HUGE story of Copernicus.

BHG is very far along in development on an RPG that now has Copernicus as it"s content. Just saw the latest build yesterday and it looks gorgeous.

Adding Ken Ralston and Mark and Ike, the guys behind Oblivion, to RA"s original world, has been pretty breathtaking to watch unfold."
Ngruk

It"s not going to be a cross platform title, but they will release a console game set within the same story/world.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
James said:
Wait wait wait, it"s launching in December 2010? Shit when"s beta start, hook a brother up.
I"ve been suggesting this as a probable launch date for Copernicus (PC ) for a while. As well as a number of other high profile games which will be competition. While I"d surmised it, one of the GMG folk actually gave it away with a big clue in this thread. I thought it would be unfair at the time to highlight it, but now it"s out there, what the hey.

+nets to whoever can highlight which GMG member slipped up and same for whoever identifies what was said (GMG staff can play too).

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Kuro said:
Well, the primary purpose of posting in this thread is Message Board Fellatio=>1337 Beta Inf0z (Or, alternatively, trying to wave an attention whore sign that says HEY, HEY CURT, I KNOW ABOUT GAMES, HIRE ME), just like the Vanguard thread was, so that wouldn"t surprise me.
I laughed out loud when I read this, because it"s so damn true. In particular I can think of a poster or two who all but shout "Curt hire me!" in every other damn post, and they aren"t subtle about it. Gives this thread some extra fun!

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
Flight said:
I"ve been suggesting this as a probable launch date for Copernicus (PC ) for a while. As well as a number of other high profile games which will be competition. While I"d surmised it, one of the GMG folk actually gave it away with a big clue in this thread. I thought it would be unfair at the time to highlight it, but now it"s out there, what the hey.

+nets to whoever can highlight which GMG member slipped up and same for whoever identifies what was said (GMG staff can play too).
December 2010 seems like a REALLY short development time for a new MMO with a new IP from a new company, despite a veteran management and development team. The company was made back in "06 and--until a year+ ago--wasn"t up to full steam in terms of manpower. I could just be jaded from all the years of Blizzard/Duke Nukem Forever/Project Offset, but I"m not going to hold my breath for a 2010 release. No offense, guys!

On a similar topic, Curt mentioned BHG had a game that was "very far along in development on an RPG that now has Copernicus as it"s content." How much time would it take to rewrite the story and redo the graphics to fit a completely different IP? Or is "very far along" going to become the new "Working As IntendedT" and "SoonT"?

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You guys acting like December 2010 was a set in stone date are beyond retarded.

Northerner_foh

shitlord
OneofOne said:
I laughed out loud when I read this, because it"s so damn true. In particular I can think of a poster or two who all but shout "Curt hire me!" in every other damn post, and they aren"t subtle about it. Gives this thread some extra fun!
Can"t really blame them for that though now can we? There have been at least a couple of high-profile hirings based on message-board personas. Hey, that actually worked out pretty well come to think of it...

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Araxen said:
You guys acting like December 2010 was a set in stone date are beyond retarded.
No-one has said it"s a set in stone date. Every time I"ve mentioned that date (and I believe I"m the only one who has mentioned it besides the James quote) I"ve said it"s a guess / estimate / I"m surmising.

Having said that, and I promise you I read this for the very first time only a couple of minutes ago, when I looked up the GMG Wiki entry and found a link,here"s an article from two years ago reporting Curt as projecting an end 2010 date.

There are a number of factors that lead me to come up with the end 2010 date. My advice to them, for all the truth in the statement that, "it is done when it is done", is to be ready to launchat leasta couple of months ahead of that time, due to all the reasons that made me come up with that date. More I could say on that, but I"m chewing over starting a new thread based around it.

Annnnyyyways, no-one has spotted the throw away line from one of the GMG guys in the history of this thread. Surely someone else blinked and caught what was said ? Someone better get it before Monday or I"m projecting a severe productivity fall at GMG, while half the staff are going through this thread with a fine tooth comb, trying to find the blabber mouth