Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Gecko_foh

shitlord
Flight said:
Anyone who questions whether MacClean commands enough respect amongst game designers are off their nut. She is Chair Emeritus of the IGDA, for a start.
Damn! It must be due to all those games she"s designed and developed. Feel free to list them off for me Flight.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Geez you are some kind of idiot. It"s not her job to make games. It"s her job to be a CEO of a company and her previous game experience has no bearing on that ability. She isn"t deciding what the gameplay will be, she isn"t balancing classes, she isn"t doing any of that shit. Car company CEOs don"t build cars and game company CEOs don"t make games. They run a fucking business that produces a product. Just shut the fuck up.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
This whole discussion was/is boring. There is no proof to be found for incompetence until the aftermath. WTB game infoz kthxbai~

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Twobit Whore said:
Geez you are some kind of idiot. It"s not her job to make games. It"s her job to be a CEO of a company and her previous game experience has no bearing on that ability. She isn"t deciding what the gameplay will be, she isn"t balancing classes, she isn"t doing any of that shit. Car company CEOs don"t build cars and game company CEOs don"t make games. They run a fucking business that produces a product. Just shut the fuck up.
The software industry isn"t like a tangible product. Especially when it comes to an MMORPG which is a service based software with initial upfront cost and on going subscription to a service. Her record doesn"t warrant the type of business approach an MMORPG needs. Combine that with the only people in 38 understanding about anything game related from an experience point being in the acquisition of an RTS/RPG engine, you have some serious leadership issues. Especially at this critical stage in development when it is time to start ramping up "This is what we have" and showing investors for budgeting, or getting off the pot.

The IGDA is a joke. It"s anon profitorganization to network game developers. It"s like the head of your local IT networking group It isn"t running a multi-million dollar company revolving around a key new IP in the MMORPG genre with supposedly the scope for simulteanous launch of comic media and possibly film/book spin offs coinciding. And making that all happen, while garnering funding, while meeting milestones, while keeping business placement on track and keeping those investors keyed in on crucial development cycles - all the while being able to explain why milestones were not hit and why, while regarding cost analysis and profit runs and adjusting the exponential scale those will increase at as launch nears.

She has no experience in any of that. She over saw people writing chincy games on Comcast.net that no one played, beta tested games back in the early 90"s which bears no relevence to the complexity of games today, (Nor does that experience count as it was over 17 years ago - anyone in human resources would tell you this) and had dabblings with AOL.

This in no sense of the word says qualifications for overseeing a company who aims to point blank triple icon threat a new IP with multiple product markets. She knows nothing about comics or that industry. She knows nothing about MMORPG"s or that industry. She knows nothing about written entertainment.

If she was the CEO of a networking company to bring multiple IP"s together for multiple market products, great. She would be perfect.

This is a completely different set of circumstances. No matter how much anyone likes her personally because they work with her.

Edit: I still lov ehow nothing has been said about the spyware contained in Curt"s "WoW" media to watch when you play, what times you play, etc and gather info to be used in their marketing trends. This is something we all agreed upon was bullshit. Is this no longer the case now because Curt Schilling is in charge?

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Gecko said:
Damn! It must be due to all those games she"s designed and developed. Feel free to list them off for me Flight.
She was at Microprose when they shipped Master Of Orion, Master of Magic, Colonization, X-COM: UFO Defense/Enemy Unknown, X-COM: Terror from the Deep, Transport Tycoon / Transport Tycoon Deluxe and Master of Orion II, amongst others, 15 years ago.

But that"s the wrong question, so the answer is irrelevant. None of that qualifies her to be a CEO, though the experience could be of some use. Things like an MBA from Columbia and Chairing the IGDA have more relevance.

Here"s a question. How many games has Bobby Kotick personally developed ? I"m guessing most folk don"t know who he is.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Flight said:
She was at Microprose when they shipped Master Of Orion, Master of Magic, Colonization, X-COM: UFO Defense/Enemy Unknown, X-COM: Terror from the Deep, Transport Tycoon / Transport Tycoon Deluxe and Master of Orion II, amongst others, 15 years ago.
As a beta tester. But you are right, because listing those are irrelevant for two reasons. 1> Length of time. It doesn"t need to be discussed the differences not only in dev times, but cost and technology, since then. But also it was too long ago. Any recruiter would see that as non existant gaming experience, and anything before 2004 would be considered that too. The length of time is just too much.

Things like an MBA from Columbia and Chairing the IGDA have more relevance.
But not really because a Masters in Business Admin without the experience isn"t going to help as a CEO. Chairing a non profit networking organization isn"t relevant experience to heading up a full fledges multi-product market gaming company.

Here"s a question. How many games has Bobby Kotick personally developed ? I"m guessing most folk don"t know who he is.
This is largely illrelevant because of the length and period of time he was CEO with Activision. We are talking during the "re-birth" if you will. 1991 and on. Back in 1991 things were different, qualifications were different, and youcouldget away with putting someone with business sense in the role and moving a company forward - the industry actually needed that for key market growth and expansion of it"s base. In many more ways than one.

That isn"t the case any longer. And while Kotick is a fucking moron who is now learning the value of original IP"s (Whether he says it or not) this doesn"t deter from the fact that starting out in 1991 is a hell of a lot different than 18 years later with an entire different industry than it was back then. Hell I think this was when EGA monitors were still out, dev cycles were 6 months to a year, and budgets were dependent on if you bought bagles for the crew that morning or not. Now you are seeing things like James Cameron"s Avatar with different product launches and development times that rival Nuclear research.

Kotick is going to have a hell fo a time explaining away his decision with Brutal Legend to investors because of that same idiotic logic he carries.

Gecko_foh

shitlord
Outside of red herrings and bad analogies, I have yet to see anything that would indicate she brings anything to the table to be excited about.

I"m not saying she"s unqualfied, but if you were giving a fair analysis, Flight, you"d probably not be comparing her with her meagre resume to Kotick.

Plus, you know, Kotick is a jerk.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Mippo said:
The problem is that it seems that you think the story is something that will maintain a playerbase which is not true. It"s an interest gatherer, something that will give you a competitive edge in the marketplace if your lore is superior.
To some degree you are 100% correct. People aren"t just going to fall in love and start reading quest text dialogue boxes because RA wrote them. One of the way we have to innovate is in HOW and WHEN we tell the story. Those are as important, if not more so, than the story itself.

Mippo said:
What KEEPS people playing MMORPG"s has not changed in a long, long time. Without going into too much detail people play for the sense of achievement, to fulfill their competitive nature, or for the social aspect of MMORPG"s.

A lot of people think Blizzard is taking a risk with Cataclysm but they aren"t. The new lore will simply generate new interest in old content, same with the new races. A new race doesn"t mess with balance, but will result in a lot of content being reused. The reason it"s not a risk is because they aren"t changing the core aspects of the game that make it successful. Their system of rewarding players appealing to their sense of achievement is staying the same. The lore is simply a way for them to generate new interest.

Blizzard understands that the story is an interest gatherer, NOT the driving point behind why people continue playing their game. If you think you can simply "improve" on the storyline / lore and that"s all it takes for the game to be successful you are in for quite a disappointment. The story is what generates interest, the system and how it appeals to players sense of achievement, and player"s competitive and social nature is what keeps people playing.
Yep. There is no deep science in this point, the game, experience HAS to be fun. For an MMO fun is a very different animal since that fun has to spread out over months and years of game play in one world. That"s huge, that"s the scary part.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Flight said:
He"ll be the first to tell you, he"s not and never has been a gamer. Your CEO doesn"t have to be to run the company right and successfully.

Jen"s got a lengthy resume working IN the game industry, but her forte, her expertise, is business, and running one. That"s why she"s the CEO, period.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ngruk said:
Jen"s got a lengthy resume working IN the game industry, but her forte, her expertise, is business, and running one. That"s why she"s the CEO, period.
Since when does chairing up a non profit networking group qualify as expertise in running a business?

Edit: Still waiting for a reply on the spyware you want people to download in the guise of a Blizzard/WOW add on so you can track marketing stats.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Gecko said:
Outside of red herrings and bad analogies, I have yet to see anything that would indicate she brings anything to the table to be excited about.

I"m not saying she"s unqualfied, but if you were giving a fair analysis, Flight, you"d probably not be comparing her with her meagre resume to Kotick.

Plus, you know, Kotick is a jerk.
Understood. It"s my belief that once you hear her speak it will be clear why she"s now doing what she is.

However, as we"ve all alluded to, none it amounts to jack until we do something tangible that you can sink your teeth into.

Then you can flame away. The only plus, well one of the pluses, is that means we"ll be working under a very different set of rules at that point because we"ll have opened our skirt enough for people to start talking about meaningful stuff.

Just so everyyone is clear that might be a late comer to this thread. Since Ut offers absolutely zero to any conversation ever had on here (with the exception of randomly inserted F bombs and "you sucks", all of which I heard infinitely more and better used in Yankee Stadium for 10 years, I have less than zero interest in responding to anything he posts. I chalk him up as someone who"ll never be a customer of ours. So in a way ya, I am ignoring anything he types. Except for this snippet.....

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Tred said:
Wishful thinking Vat. They have (retarded) answers for EVERYTHING.
The points are valid.

There is no business experience here either short of running a national non profit networking group and that is definitely not in the same scope as running a company ready to launch an IP with 3-4 product lines.

Oh.Spoiler Alert, click show to read:Spyware in the WoW Add on

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Does anyone actually use their thing? If you"re retarded enough to download and install that shit you deserve to have spyware on your PC. Not like companies don"t do that shit all the time either. You kinda just assume if a for profit organization offers you something for free there"s a catch. It"s about as standard as every free fucking app on the internet trying to get you to install the fucking yahoo toolbar.

Sony, Blizzard, EA, Valve, Mythic, NCsoft, etc...etc...they all do it in one way or another. I"d almost be offended if they didn"t try to sneak something by me in this day and age.

Gecko_foh

shitlord
I actually prefer companies that promote from within, and I think I"m done playing devil"s advocate. No promises though.

Now would be a great time to drop some hints or information so we can have something substantial to talk about, instead of the fun of office politics and the success rate of MMO teams with leadership turnover.

Are the rumors true that Salvatore is borrowing from the AD&D module "Descent into the Dephs of the Earth" in a Copernicus way as your first endgame storyline? Good job if so. It"s essentially where he stole the Drizzt storylines from.

p.s. I hope you aren"t mistaking Ut and I. Ut is a jaded guy. I just try to offer my unbiased and unattacking opinion.