Grottino 2017: The only awards that matter (to me)

Szlia

Like we have been doing every year for more than 10 years, five of my friends and me met in late February in a restaurant, each of us with a list of our 20 favorite movies released in the previous year. We then talked and ate and combined all our lists to form the Top 20 movies of the year: the Grottino Awards (named after the italian restaurant we used to go to do this). Note that we are often out of synch with the Bafta, Academy Awards, Golden Globes, etc because many movies are released in Europe after the award season to benefit from the prizes they might have won (that's why a movie like La La Land ends up in our 2017 list instead of the 2016 one and why The Shape of Water, Lady Bird or Phantom Thread will be for 2018).

So:

20: Lucky
Dark comedy around "a 90-year-old atheist and his struggle against encroaching old age." One of Harry Dean Stanton's last part.

19: Faces Places (Visages Villages)
French documentary about aging film maker Agnès Varda and young photographer JR traveling the french countryside to make giant portraits of everyday people.

18: Ismael's Ghosts (Les fantômes d'Ismaël)
French mix of dramedy and auto-fiction about a film maker struggling to make a movie, who suddenly see his wife, who dissapearded 20 years prior, barge back into his life.

16 tied: Ex Libris / Baahubali 2
It's very much in the spirit of the Grottino that these two long movies ended up being tied: The first is a documentary by Frederick Wiseman about the New York public library and the second is an over the top Indian epic.

15: Get Out
Meet the parents cleverly turned into a racial horror film.

14: A Violent Life (Une vie violente)
French film about a corsican man living in Paris dragged back to his beloved island because of his family's troubles with organized crime and independentist armed struggle.

12 tied: Miss Sloane / The Lost City of Z
Jessica Chastain as a Washington lobbyist who has both a backbone and principles (clearly a work of fiction!) and James Grey's biopic about explorer Percy Fawcett's multiple trips to the Amazon at the beginning of the XXth century to find, as the tile implies, the lost city of Z.

11: Manchester by the Sea
A suffocating drama about the consequences of a dramatic events on people.

10: Detroit
Kathryn Bigelow dives into a clusterfuck in the middle of the 1967 race riots in Detroit: The Algiers Motel.

9: Tomorrow and Thereafter (Demain et tous les autres jours)
French drama film about a young girl living alone with her mentally ill mother thinly disguised as a light fantasy film. For a number of reasons the film got stuck in development hell, but additional shooting allowed for a magnificent and poetic ending.

8: La La Land
Damien Chazelle's love letter to musicals.

7: Blade Runner 2049
Denis Villeneuve's serious sequel and heir to the cult classic movie.

6: Loveless
Andrey Zvyagintsev continues after Leviathan his chilling portrait of contemporary Russia, this time through the prism of a separating couple whose son disappeared.

5: Your name
Makoto Shinkai's masterful take on the classic body-swapping genre, here used a bit for comedy but mostly for drama. Apparently, it's the highest worldwide grossing japanese animated film ever.

4: Neruda
Communist senator and acclaimed chilean poet Neruda has to go into hiding, but he still wants to be the star and writer of his own story. Pablo Larraín creates an extremely clever and funny movie about someone trying to write his own legend.

3: Battle of the Sexes
Maybe it's the contrast between what one could fear the film would be and what it actually is that pushed this comedy so far up the list, but surprisingly beautiful photography, smart direction, great performances, a tenderness for most characters (sorry Margaret Court fans!) and a mostly nuanced look behind the scene of the structuration of a professional sport certainly helped!

2: American Honey
Part coming of age movie, part musical portrait of marginal youngsters, part road movie, part comment on capitalism and entrepreneurship, Andrea Arnold's handheld camera captures the energy of an ensemble cast lead by newcomer Sasha Lane and a surprising Shia LaBeouf.

1: Jackie
Pablo Larraín is a second time in this list for his anti-biopic centered on a Jackie Kennedy trying in her last actions as the first lady to enshrine her dead husband in the american legend. A feat of solemn film-making and a standout performance by Natalie Portman.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

elidib

Vyemm Raider
szlia post.jpg

• 10Worf
Reactions: 9 users

spronk

FPS noob
saw Blade Runner 2049 in the list, left happy

my list, in order
Blade Runner 2049
Logan
Thor Ragnorak
Coco
Baby Driver
Wind River

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Szlia

spronk spronk You will be pleased to know that the two people who saw Thor: Ragnarok ranked it 6th and 11th. It almost made it in the final Top 20. Wind River did not get released around our parts (note that unreleased movies can enter our lists if at least 3 people saw it, which I think was the case for American Honey, but not for Wind River).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
I've seen 3 out of the 20 movies on the list. La La Land because other people wanted to see it. It was fine even if it's not a genre I typically get into. Battle of the Sexes which was much better than I expected. Blade Runner 2049 which is a fantastic movie and my favorite of the year. Wind River was good, more people should watch it.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I'm game:
My Top 12 (All) Movies of 2017

One of the weirder aspects of mass market entertainment in the 21st century was watching Action Comedies not only morph into Comic Book movies, but then turn into the dominant movie genre, then become so popular they've started morphing into other genres to differentiate from one another, even while attracting ever more impressive talent in front of the camera. As someone who can barely spare three hours a month to watch a movie (and watched all of 8 hours of TV this year: Legion), this means I almost always have fluffy escapism waiting at the theatre - and means my tastes have apparently regressed to those of a teenager.

1. Logan
One of the flag bearers of the modern comic book boom lives long enough to get the gritty, R-rated sendoff he deserved, while morphing into a flat out Western. If this and Deadpool are the future of the comic book movie - a mid tier budget and carte blanche to spend it how they like - this boom isn't going anywhere.

2. Thor: Ragnarok
Maybe it's residual Flight of the Conchords love, but everything about this movie clicked for me. It addresses the plot hole you likely didn't realize (namely, as the Marvel movies move into the cosmic era, why everyone's initial response isn't to "Call the Asgardians"), it makes Thor both a compelling character and a legitimate combat threat, it makes the Hulk (and not Hulk/Banner) borderline interesting, the half-Native Waititi gets in some commentary about how your great civilizations were built on the skulls of their less fortunate neighbors while not banging you over the head with it, and it features my favorite ten seconds of last year (the Grandmaster's introduction). I was this close to putting it #1.

3. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Much like the first one, I loved it in the moment and then didn't remember anything afterwards, other than admiring the script the more I think about it. There's a million god damn characters in this thing, and other than Rocket's motivations, all the puzzle pieces fit pretty much seamlessly.

4. John Wick: Chapter 2
A faded facsimile of the original still makes this one of my favorite movies of the year. (Note: I wasn't that impressed with this year.) Hoping Stahelski and Leitch being back for the third will end this with a bang.

5. Baby Driver
That first half of a movie directed by Edgar Wright might be my favorite of the year. That second half directed by some Tarantino wannabe is not.

6. Spider-Man: Homecoming
I can't tell if its just a sign that I'm getting old or a sign of the evolving maturity of the genre, but this explicitly teen themed movie just didn't grab me. Also, screw you for making me start ranking AILFs in movies.

7. Blade Runner 2049
God damn this looks great. But I can't shake the feeling it just doesn't need to exist - especially when you look into the pretzel the script is to get this to work at all (A emp strike that nukes all the records * massive lifespan replicants (that invalidate the first movie) * android Jesus, + Ana not mentioning it's her memory). There's some alternate universe where Megan Ellison gave Villeneuve $100 Mil and said "Make something new" instead of all these adaptations, and I wish I lived in that one.

8. Wonder Woman
The best DC movie since The Dark Knight. And I'm not even sure it would make it out of the Worst 5 Marvel movies. Seriously, think of a single great line, shot, or action sequence out of the movie. I can't.

9. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
A lot of those plot points aren't that bad in the moment - e.g. the movie (sorta) establishes that the only reason the hyperspace missile works is because the Order is too busy blowing up the shuttles to shoot her ship down before it jumps. (Although here even the movie's politics get in the way - they aren't civilians, and they aren't surrendering. Just because some ISIS members hop in a truck doesn't mean they aren't considered enemy combatants. God dammit I can't even defend this movie without getting more pissed off about it.) The ironic thing is I still want to see what sort of universe Johnson would create with an entire trilogy to work with. But my god was the middle movie in this trilogy NOT the right point to deconstruct Star Wars.

10. The Founder
The (arguable) story behind Ray Kroc founding the McDonalds franchise model starts out charming, especially whenever the McDonalds (John Carroll Lynch and Ron Effing Swanson) are on the screen. But then Michael Keaton switches to supervillain mode and the movie purports that Kroc never had an independent thought or positive moment in his life.

11. American Made
Back in 2014, Cruise/Liman created one of the stealth best movies of the year in Edge of Tomorrow. American Made... is not that for 2017. In theory, it's another tale about a regular joe who got involved with the drug trade in the 80s, reaped the rewards, and then suffered his just comeuppance. In practice, it's the caffeine free diet coke version, where Cruise doesn't fire a gun, hit anyone, and his biggest issue is coming up with additional banks for money laundering.

12. Justice League
It's better than the other Synder DC movies. But the sooner Warner Bros goes back to the drawing board on the whole universe, the better.

• 2Picard
  • 1Like

Szlia

Thor: Ragnarok (as previously mentioned), John Wick: Chapter 2, Star Wars: The Last Jedi and American Made made their way into some of our lists. I have American Made at N°12. I found the movie very funny and was extremely surprised by the quality of the editing and cinematography.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I hope The Last Jedi made it into someone's top 20 list because they only saw 19 films last year.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Szlia

Khane Khane Knowing the guy who put it on his list (at N°5!), I guess he enjoyed it a lot because it is a peculiar object, where you know every single element has been carefully weighted, taking into account representation, the canon, the nostalgia of some of the fans, the lack of nostalgia of some others, the merchandising, etc. More than a film, it's a pop-culture business puzzle. I don't care much about those, but I can see how it can be fascinating for some.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Khane Khane Knowing the guy who put it on his list (at N°5!), I guess he enjoyed it a lot because it is a peculiar object, where you know every single element has been carefully weighted, taking into account representation, the canon, the nostalgia of some of the fans, the lack of nostalgia of some others, the merchandising, etc. More than a film, it's a pop-culture business puzzle. I don't care much about those, but I can see how it can be fascinating for some.

I don't think any of that happened with The Last Jedi.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Time to kick this friend out of the circle of trust.

• 1Like

Szlia

Time to kick this friend out of the circle of trust.
Nah... It is a key aspect of this group that we have different tastes. We are all reasonably curious and ok to see movies that potentially fall outside our core interests and, more importantly, we are always willing to debate with each others, hear what someone else saw in a movie we did not like, tell others why we enjoyed a movie that did not to it for them, etc. Things get a bit heated at times though, but it's ok.

• 1Like