GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 announced available May 27th

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Might be time to upgrade my 680ti SLI?
Show off.

mwf2Owe.png

spronk

FPS noob
I just upgraded from a 680 to a 970 in feb for VR, no ragrets but kinda surprised at how much better the 1070 seems to bench for a cheaper price. guess we'll see more when real world benches hit

i'm not really fretting too much though, VR games are all dog shit right now and the only game I am playing on PC is Hitman and soon Overwatch. don't really care about Doom and will probably be playing No Man's Sky on PS4 just to zone out while wife watches whatever. Until Star Citizen I can't really think of a PC game that is going to really be that visually demanding - Final Fantasy XV is console exclusive for now, Mirror's Edge kinda sucked in beta, Deus Ex I guess may be the next big one but its SP only anyways

The new stereoscope rendering stuff they've done in 10xx is awesome but realistically its gonna be a year before that has any impact on real games, I think?

Njals

<Bronze Donator>

Interesting that NVIDIA is using a Vulcan game for their demo. Hopefully AMD has their shit together this round because it would just be embarrassing for NVIDIA to run that API better then the company that helped develop it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Uh, yeah...guys?

Anyway, it runs everything still. I'll definitely consider upgrading to a 1070 though.

rrr_img_133165.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
especially with how important having more and more VRAM is getting now, a 970 is definitely a card to get rid of. Or did they solve the >3.5gb VRAM usage stuttering through driver updates?
Just think of it as a 3.5gb card. The extra .5 gb is marginally faster than using system ram if you overflow the 3.5gb, but not by much.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Uh, yeah...guys?

Anyway, it runs everything still. I'll definitely consider upgrading to a 1070 though.

rrr_img_133165.jpg
I just upgraded from a Radeon 6950 to a 970 but will be returning it to try and get a 1070!

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
Will wait to see first what AMD has to offer, but i am not holding my breath.

I like btw how the 1080 requires only a 500w supply, same as the 970.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I've never seen such a clear case of bang-for-buck as these new cards. Price and performance = win/win

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I really believe that they are intentionally going for a lower price point aiming squarely at the VR adopters and possibility of growing that VR market.

I used to build a new PC every 2 years like clockwork and yet I've been using the same machine now for 5 years and haven't had a lick of trouble with games, but the machine is completely incapable of VR.

I feel that this new price point with such a strong performance may be what tips the scales for me in terms of VR adoption and that I am not alone.

Surely they must have very detailed marketing data that shows how many people there are like me and are eager to get us to fork out some cash for the first time in half a decade.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
So if the 1080 is running Doom at 200fps are the 1080ti and Titan going to run games in 4k at 60fps without sli?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I would like to see the 1080ti able to run 1440p pegged at 144 hz at Ultra settings. It's possible the 1080 can already do that.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like it's one of the biggest performance jumps in quite some time, if their hype is right :p