GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 announced available May 27th

Xalara

Golden Squire
How do you preorder from Amazon? I don't have that option.
I preordered back on May 31st during the initial wave hereAmazon.com: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 Graphics Cards 08G-P4-6286-KR: Computers Accessories. Amazon later took down the option to buy direct since they sold through their allotment. It occasionally comes back up for sale as Amazon sources more supply, but at this point, even if you do get to preorder you can assume you will be pretty far back in the line to receive the video card.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Cross posting this from PC thread...

Thinking about that 480x. Shit for $200 and the performance, it just cannot be beat. Especially that I'm still rolling 1080. Ive had AMD cards in my PCs, and in fact one of my gaming PCs has a R9 280x in it right now and Ive had no problems. And my kid has like 100+ games in his steam library. I just don't understand all of you having so much problems with AMD cards. My other PC, the older i5 2500K has a 5850 in it that has been going strong for like ages. I even played some overwatch on that bitch, low, 60fps. Ill probably put the R9 in the old PC and upgrade the gaming one with the 480x.

Plus I don't understand why anyone would drop all that cash for a 1080 or 1070 for a reference card anyways. That's like as base as they get. Soon as MSI and Asus and the others start rolling them out, they will have better everything from cooling, memory to boosted clock speeds. The shit seems silly to me to buy reference cards so you can be the first, lol. Fucking wait a month or two and reap the rewards of aftermarket goodness. Fucking nerds tripping over themselves to be the first. Even paying extra $200, lol because its "sold out everywhere".

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you're still running at 1080p the RX 480 is probably the last video card you'll ever need.

Then again, the 1060 GTX will probably be just as good, if not better.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Most people in this thread are buying the aftermarket stuff. You are right that the 480 will be hard to beat for value. However for some people like me, it is a bit of a hobby and I have to have the "best" which is why I am getting an EVGA FTW 1080. Granted it also happens to be my reward for mostly quitting cardboard crack (Magic the Gathering).

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
Cross posting this from PC thread...

Thinking about that 480x. Shit for $200 and the performance, it just cannot be beat. Especially that I'm still rolling 1080. Ive had AMD cards in my PCs, and in fact one of my gaming PCs has a R9 280x in it right now and Ive had no problems. And my kid has like 100+ games in his steam library. I just don't understand all of you having so much problems with AMD cards. My other PC, the older i5 2500K has a 5850 in it that has been going strong for like ages. I even played some overwatch on that bitch, low, 60fps. Ill probably put the R9 in the old PC and upgrade the gaming one with the 480x.

Plus I don't understand why anyone would drop all that cash for a 1080 or 1070 for a reference card anyways. That's like as base as they get. Soon as MSI and Asus and the others start rolling them out, they will have better everything from cooling, memory to boosted clock speeds. The shit seems silly to me to buy reference cards so you can be the first, lol. Fucking wait a month or two and reap the rewards of aftermarket goodness. Fucking nerds tripping over themselves to be the first. Even paying extra $200, lol because its "sold out everywhere".
Preach

EDIT: Btw, i don't see the 1060 to be any threat to the 480. If they make it good enough to be, then they hugely devalue the 1070 which is supposed to be the bread'n'butter card of the lineup.

Malkav

French Madman
lol @ people believing one bench made by AMD on a game that heavily favors them for the 480.

Let's wait for some real benches before wetting your panties about the magic 200$ card.

To prove my point, look at the Fury X results in Ashes of Singularity here :Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 review - DX12: Ashes Of The Singularity Benchmark.

Woooh, better than a 980ti.

Ok, then, have a laugh taking a look at how the Fury X ranks in other games benchmarks.

Astaire_sl

shitlord
Probably going to be going the 1080 route. I recently picked up a 1440p 144hz 27in Acer (XB270HU) and it seems like I should have purchased an upgrade to my 760 first. I get decent framerates (70ish in Overwatch) but from what I'm gathering, I'm not utilizing this monitor to its full potential at all so it's pointless to have until I can get my FPS higher. Still digging the 144hz and 1440p though. Went from a 23in 1080p 60hz. Though the upgrade wasn't as mindblowing as the people on reddit made it seem.. I can't tell if I'm just not easily impressed or if the card I have is not letting me experience it.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
You're taking advantage of the 1440P obviously, but a 760 can't put out very high settings at that resolution. And to take advantage of the 144hz, you want to push your FPS up towards that number also. A 1070 or 1080 would unlock the 1440/144 potential for sure.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I really should try out a 144hz monitor with a maxed out card before i pick a card. However, I kinda wonder if console ports and shitty optimized games are going to just hover over the 60fps range for a few more years.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
You're taking advantage of the 1440P obviously, but a 760 can't put out very high settings at that resolution. And to take advantage of the 144hz, you want to push your FPS up towards that number also. A 1070 or 1080 would unlock the 1440/144 potential for sure.
I always hated those idiots that say something like 'human eye cant see the difference between 30 and 60 fps lololz'

But erm..uh how do I ask without being that guy... Can you tell the difference between say 60-80fps and 144? My monitor does 144 (1080), but the games I play never get above 70ish FPS from my GTX 980.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I always hated those idiots that say something like 'human eye cant see the difference between 30 and 60 fps lololz'

But erm..uh how do I ask without being that guy... Can you tell the difference between say 60-80fps and 144? My monitor does 144 (1080), but the games I play never get above 70ish FPS from my GTX 980.
You can def tell the difference between 30 and 60, but i have never actually used 144. At some point you think it would be diminishing returns.

Xalara

Golden Squire
The difference between 60Hz and 144Hz is less blur and a far more responsive display for twitchy games.

spronk

FPS noob

try for yourself
UFO Test: Multiple Framerates
https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

I can definitely tell the diff between 30 and 60, between 60 and 120 its there but its really, really minor. This is on a 144hz gsync monitor on a 970.

There is another huge advantage though to gSync, which is that you never need to turn on vSync so your input lag is as low as it can be. Even if the game only runs at 50-90 fps, without vSync you would get screen tearing unless the FPS is locked to 60 fps, but with gSync you can get those variable rates and its not a problem.

If you only play 2-3 games then its just better adjusting graphic settings so its always 60, 90, 120, 144, etc fps and turn vsync off on any monitor. overwatch is easily settable to 100-120 fps on any video card really, many players don't run it at ultra but at medium/high settings even on the latest GPUs. gsync just helps you future proof a little better so when star citizen is out and runs at 45 fps on your 1080, you don't feel the need to upgrade right away

Column_sl

shitlord
The difference between 60Hz and 144Hz is less blur and a far more responsive display for twitchy games.
It's also 100% noticeable if you can keep your frame rates super high. It's akin to seeing frame doubling on Tvs right now.

Everything looks super solid, and crisp. So less like you are looking at a flat picture, and more like you are looking through a window.

If you really want to see it in effect immediately. Move your windows around on a 60hz monitor versus a 120-144

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's also 100% noticeable if you can keep your frame rates super high. It's akin to seeing frame doubling on Tvs right now.

Everything looks super solid, and crisp. So less like you are looking at a flat picture, and more like you are looking through a window.

If you really want to see it in effect immediately. Move your windows around on a 60hz monitor versus a 120-144
Hah that was the first way I was able to notice a difference on my PC. I was moving around windows and I went "hey wait a second, this looks awesome!"

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This is available on the EVGA site for step-up as of now.

You can choose the founder's edition($450) or the ACX 3.0 version ($419) - I chose the ACX 3.0 version. No idea when that will be released, but I wanted to be in line very quickly.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh, $450? I thought the 1070 was going to be around $300-$350? Fuck might as well get the 1080 then for a few hundo more.

AMD please save us from these thieves.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Meh, $450? I thought the 1070 was going to be around $300-$350? Fuck might as well get the 1080 then for a few hundo more.

AMD please save us from these thieves.
From the first post in the thread:
GTX 1070
6.5 gflops, 8GB GDDR5
$379 available June 10th
$449 Founders Edition
FE is just more expensive because its first, but its the same as the $380 card.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
AMD will save you, with their card that has much shittier performance at $200.

Didn't they say you need 2x the AMD card?