GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 announced available May 27th

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
That and online inventory systems are deceiving.

This morning I was doing my routine check on frys.com. MSI Gaming edition showed up as in stock at 8am before the store opened. I'd prefer EVGA FTW edition but thought I'd check the specs. 10 min later I go back and it shows up as out of stock again.. No other 1080GTX models show up as available either for my local Willsonvile store (Portland, OR area) I figure someone must have chosen the pick up at store option and ordered it. I decided to try my luck and get to the store at opening to possibly pick it up off the shelf before an employee gets it. I go to where this model is priced and the shelf is empty. There was just a reduced price open box EVGA founders edition...

So I start walking around to just browse random stuff for fun before I leave and I found an end isle section with 10+ various 1070s. 1x 1080 MSI Gaming edition(the one I saw on the stite) and 3x 1080 GTX ASUS STRIX ROG OC editions. This edition isn't even listed on frys as an inventoried item. This display didn't have prices or labels either.

So if anyone is looking for either the MSI or ASUS non founder version of this card in the OR area, Frys has a few left still. I was thinking I could buy them all and make a few 100 easy but I passed
smile.png

It is something I've noticed in general with Frys and Best Buy lately in general. I think its a fight between local retailers not getting credit when people order from their store online.

I recently bought a pioneer receiver at Best Bu for 1k when its listed for 1.6k online. No advertised specials but I learned from AVSforum in stores were running this unadvertised sale.

I saved ~1500 from Fry's a few months ago when buying a 5.4.1 Klipsch Atmos setup because prices were marked down instore as unadvertised sales. Even within the store I found different advertised prices depending on what display room I went to so I found all the lowest marked prices.

So if you have a Frys or similar store nearby I suggest going in person to take a look, and even then the cards may not be where they are normally.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
GTX 1060 specs were leaked. No actual benchmarks but looks like 3gb/6gb, and analogous to the 480 (So probably a slightly worse 980). I wonder what they will put it at, 250?
I doubt the 1060 will be the same performance as the 480. More likely 980 (non ti) performance minimum.

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
The 1060 is (rumoredly) going to be 10-15% faster than the 480, will come in 3/6gb variants, will cost $250/300 and will not support sli.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I just want an evga 1070 acx3.0 sc.

Why can't I just have nice things? I feel like it's going to be months still.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
i've had my new PC built for 3 weeks and I'm still waiting for the evga gtx 1080 FTW to be in stock for more than 2 minutes

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
So you'll be able to buy a 1060 before the 1070 non founders? Lol
I'm debating upgrading from a standard 24 inch monitor to a dell s2716dg to take advantage of my 970 and eventually 1070 when step up comes through. Can't decide if the $500 price tags is worth it. Anyone done this or have thoughts?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I need to send out my card this weekend. Been too busy with work and shit.

I gotta get some serious stuff done over the next few weeks so it will be good to not have an operational gaming PC for a bit.

spronk

FPS noob
I'm debating upgrading from a standard 24 inch monitor to a dell s2716dg to take advantage of my 970 and eventually 1070 when step up comes through. Can't decide if the $500 price tags is worth it. Anyone done this or have thoughts?
i have a 2716dg and I don't think its worth $500. gSync is nice but the panel is TN and colors aren't that great, compared to an IPS panel. I have a 2 year old 27" korean IPS next to it (non gSync) and its way more vibrant. I'm going to buy an IPS gSync monitor this holiday when I do my next round of upgrades, and I'd recommend one of the newer IPS gSync monitors over the 2716DG.

i originally bought an acer IPS gSync but had to change out two of them (locally) when they both had massive lightbleed issues, eventually just settled on the 2716dg which is pixel perfect to be fair. I believe the light bleed issues have been solved though now and the IPS gSync panels are all good now. I still would stick with 1080p or 1440p over 4k though, just because games won't be able to run at 60 fps 4k even with a 1080.

I have the qnix that luxer mentions below, its good but its not a gsync monitor. I find gsync really nice for gaming, you turn vsync off and get no tearing and no input lag at all which is great when you start reaching the end of your GPU cycle, lets you put off upgrading for a lot longer.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Depends if your cpu will bottleneck the 1070 or not, if not then it's a must if you want to game at 1440p.

Also, if u want to save some money I'd ditch the Dell s2716dg and get one of the Korean Qnix panels. The dell isn't an IPS panel, the QNIX QX2710 is an IPS panel and is less than half the price. Most people can overclock it to 120hz, I've had mine for 6 months and keep at 110hz 24/7.

QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution II 27 QHD Samsung PLS Matte Panel PC Monitor-Newegg.com

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
So you'll be able to buy a 1060 before the 1070 non founders? Lol
I've got an MSI 1070 Gaming X I'm about to throw on EBAY - I've bought and sold 4 1070's/1080's this month making some decent $ in the process. Newegg around 1-3 in the afternoons is the place to be as they had a STRIX/GAMING X/ACX 3.0 SC 1070 in stock there yesterday.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Acer XB270HU bprz Black 271 - Newegg.com

I bought this last month and it's a fantastic monitor - guess I got lucky because the bl bleed is minimal and no dead pixels... It was on sale last month for like $599 as well so I'd just watch the sales tbh

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
nvidia announces 1060 - 6GB, $249, same performance as a 980, no SLI support. avail july 17th
Nvidia unveils GTX 1060: $249 buys you GTX 980 power Eurogamer.net
Will be interesting to see the benchmarks (DX12 especially). If the 6gb version retails for under 300 for non-reference and the bench marks are about where they say they are (Slightly above the 980), this will be a dog race for the mid-tier market. If it dips below the 980 on some benchmarks, and is above 300; meh, the 480, I think, will win this band.

We'll see, this is going to be the bracket I'm looking at for my son's new card, I'm going to grab a 1070 :p.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I picked up an evga 1070 superclocked.which upgraded my 550ti.

Overall I have some mixed reactions thus far. The card is blazing fast, I think it's easily 10x more processing power. That said, the games I tried it on thus far haven't changed that drastically. I turned up gfx settings a lot from you know low/med to ultra and despite the quality increase still see 2-3x fps gain.

So I think my disappointment is more not having things like 4K, gsync monitor 144 hz refresh, etc. I may need to upgrade that to see the qualitative difference I was hoping for. I guess there's only so much a bit more detailed textures or shaders can do without giving up 1080p.