Guild Wars 2

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Are they planning any future content for it? I mean it's four years old with one expansion. Whats up with that?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
They are slowly updating the game with living story episodes and new bits of map here and there, however there's nothing like WoW patches, which are humongous. They seem to have project planning issues, even worse than Blizzard, where they like to redesign their existing mechanics several times for no good reason and the expansion wasn't exactly big - on the other hand their content requires people around to be playable, so I understand them not wanting to dilute the population too much, however at this point I'd kill for a map where you can just explore things without any huge pressing objective that flips the map on its head every 30 minutes.

Oh yeah and their legendary weapons are some of the coolest stuff I have ever seen.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Their Initial schedule was bi-weekly updates that they kept doing on time for close to two years. Not bad really, and regular content updates were nice, but the model also had some downsides and was dropped to make that first expansion eventually. That kinda explains the "late" first expansion. You can actually see a release history of all those patches somewhere on their site and on the wiki if interested.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Yeah they didn't plan on going the expansion route in the beginning, and more for living story updates when bigger content patches every quarter. But I guess that wasn't working out for them in terms of gem sales and living stories basically taking up all their development time, so they switched to doing expansions.

The recent living story release was the first one in a year and a half, the gap from living story 2 to the expansion was 10 months, then another 9 months from expansion to chapter 1 of living story 3, which wasn't that long. Now they're planning on doing chapters every 2 months or so, while a chunk of their staff continues to work on the next expansion, not that they have even finished the first expansion since they've postponed all remaining legendaries to whenever, and moved that team into the living story team.

Right now their priority is to get another expansion out, all this dead time is costing them though, they just had their lowest earning quarter and many parts of the game are still suffering with many new problems popped up with the expansion. The way combat has evolved has affected spvp and wvw badly, particularly wvw. All the conditions and boon sharing and meta and op builds, just ruining the great combat experience they once had with the game.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I'd say yes, the world is absolutely gorgeous, however don't expect it to be a MMO for life.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
It's absolutely worth owning and playing a couple of days or weeks now and then, no itemlevel treadmill and no level cap raises are a big advantage there. Although if you like WoW I'd personally say Legion is a better game choice right now until the usual Blizzard content draught sets in.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I saw something about Ember Bay pop up on my Facebook feed...taking the story back to the Ring of Fire is excellent, that was hard as hell in the original Guild Wars.

If I wasn't all in on Legion right now I would be chomping at the bit to see where it was going.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
I saw something about Ember Bay pop up on my Facebook feed...taking the story back to the Ring of Fire is excellent, that was hard as hell in the original Guild Wars.

If I wasn't all in on Legion right now I would be chomping at the bit to see where it was going.

chorboy

Silver Knight of the Realm
If anyone is playing i'm somewhat active, i play where i have time. Kinda boring when content droughts are in, you gotta do achievements to entertain yourself in this game but its the same shit really as any game.

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I started up my GW2 account again - and I must say that it's perfect for my casual gaming fix. Really enjoy the events/"questing-on-rails". The lower zones felt kinda busy with all the people playing.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I started up my GW2 account again - and I must say that it's perfect for my casual gaming fix. Really enjoy the events/"questing-on-rails". The lower zones felt kinda busy with all the people playing.

I think they went to the mega server type deal so youll see people from everywhere doing stuff

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone still play this on EU-side? Been looking for a guild for a while now. Just finished season 2 and started with Heart of Thorns. Really liking this game :)

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Some coworkers trying to get me to play this with them. Haven't touched it since first month or two of release - did they ever make gear actually do something? That was my #1 turnoff (that and the back and forth pointless PVP at max level).

chorboy

Some coworkers trying to get me to play this with them. Haven't touched it since first month or two of release - did they ever make gear actually do something? That was my #1 turnoff (that and the back and forth pointless PVP at max level).
Yeah, basically ascended gear is a barrier into the higher level group content/ most raid guild/parties require it. Although its not like most mmos where you say okay you need to go kill x mob cause it drops it. Basically you get mats to make the ascended gear from every part of the gameplay in the game, the leathers required, iron etc. Plus you have to craft up to max crafting to make your first set typically makes it a good stepping stone to weed out a lot of players

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Are they even possible if you're not in ascended gear or is that what people are using as a barrier to get in?

chorboy

Are they even possible if you're not in ascended gear or is that what people are using as a barrier to get in?
Raids are possible to do with entirely basic gear, the gear req is more of filtering out people who haven't played enough.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Side note for those who follow it casually: new Season 3 chapter is now unlocked; log-in to make sure you get it enabled for your account.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Been playing since season 3 episode 3 and it's a blast to play! I do not regret buying the Heart of Thorns expansion. Very casual friendly with lots of stuff going on. The living story with content every two months seem like a nice way to keep the interest up.

For the EU-noobs there's a nice group of people called GW2community that hosts activities every day (bosses, achievements/HoT-zones). Good way to catch up :)