Guild Wars 2

Lenwen

Silver Squire
Curious, which server were you on that is now a ghost town? Was it one of the "bandwagon" servers at launch? While population definitely decreased on my server, I still have no problem logging on and finding groups to do stuff.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
The GW2 servers are definitely mostly deserted. The only zone that is populated at all in this game right now is LA and that's because it's the central hub that just happens to have the best dungeon in the game to farm as well as the holiday events (and I'm willing to bet most people are traders who sit at the AH all day flipping stuff). Outside of LA, the next highest populated area in the game is WvW and most servers have rolling outmanned buffs and few can fill a WvW map anymore even during prime time (which caps at around 100-120 players per map per server).

Being able to find groups has nothing to do with a server being a ghost town as you can group cross server for instances and the only "end game" content this game currently has is to either rerun the same dungeons over and over for gold/tokens/ectos or WvW. Outside of that, the zones are deserted from the starter areas all the way to the "end game" areas in Orr/Cove.

I'd love to have a list of servers that aren't ghost towns so I can transfer to one and experience playing with others through the zones again. I have a friend who recently joined the game and I've been helping him experience the events and hearts but we have rarely come across more than three people in a single zone. I do daily ore runs across Orr/Cove and every single event is up and every lockable WP is locked because zones like Cursed Shore are now 100% deserted. I'm on SoS and my last two servers were SR and HoD.

Anyway, anyone remember this?

(the comments are comical)

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The servers themselves are not deserted. Most of the zones are because people have concentrated to where the action is at. One thing you can do while leveling is to simply just type in /m chat that hey anyone want to do hearts and events together? You will pretty much find a full group right away.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
@skinner The reason those events and zones are deserted now is because it is no longer the best place to make money. People do fractals for ectos and they do regular dungeons for cash.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
People also log off after they run their fractals and dungeons because DR kicks in to make it pointless after the first 2 runs per path, unless they are farming bosses for gold over and over with bars. There isn't a massive group of people sitting at dungeon instances anymore either. Just hit up gw2lfg, run your dailies, log off until next reset.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I never sit at the dungeons. I just get a group in LA. They need a dungeon finder though. Nobody really wants the responsibility of having to invite people or to have been the "leader". Just put the damn feature in and let the people cry on message boards about destroying immersion or community or whatever they cry about and let the rest of us spend less time sitting around.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
I'm sure it varies server by server but SoS doesn't even have call outs anymore in LA for dungeons and every time I tried to do it before I moved to gw2lfg I could hardly fill a full group for anything outside of AC. I agree about the dungeon finder but they need to go a step further and make it so that there is a reason to do things. You said it yourself, PvE zones are empty because there is no reason for really even being there. Dungeons are almost the same way because of DR. "Run AC for the third time? Why when I get shit? I'll Spider farm though."

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Skinner you and I might as well exit the thread at this point, no amount of obvious examples or common sense will satisfy these rabid fanboys.

They are right WvW is great (Even when opposing force is invisible), servers are packed, and this game never sucked.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Skinner you and I might as well exit the thread at this point, no amount of obvious examples or common sense will satisfy these rabid fanboys.

They are right WvW is great (Even when opposing force is invisible), servers are packed, and this game never sucked.
Especially considering the last few posts have been made by you and Skinner, ironic, don't ya think?

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
You honestly think I haven't been giving examples, or that I hate this game and want it to fail, and that I'm ignoring what the other people say?

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I would love to see them do what they did in guild wars 1 and what WoW is doing now. Combine the servers populations for zones to increase the population, spawn more overflows when needed. In GW2 there is not one drawback to grouping and having more people. It would be the perfect game for it.
Unless an MMO is setting up separate economies on each server, I don't know why all MMOs don't all just do that. It'd allow zones to constantly have at least a few people in them - making the world feel more alive - while also preventing the snowball effect that can sometimes happen in MMOs.

I'm sure it varies server by server but SoS doesn't even have call outs anymore in LA for dungeons and every time I tried to do it before I moved to gw2lfg I could hardly fill a full group for anything outside of AC. I agree about the dungeon finder but they need to go a step further and make it so that there is a reason to do things. You said it yourself, PvE zones are empty because there is no reason for really even being there. Dungeons are almost the same way because of DR. "Run AC for the third time? Why when I get shit? I'll Spider farm though."
I'm on SoS as well, and I constantly see people shouting for dungeon groups in Lion's Arch. Sure, it's mostly Fractals, but I definitely see people forming groups for the other dungeons as well.

Though, I would agree the game is in dire need of some sort of dungeon/group finder. I have no idea what Arenanet was thinking that they built a game where you could group with people on other servers but then really didn't add any tools that easily allowed that. Right now, the best way to find groups across servers is to try to get into an overflow and use an external website, both of which are sloppy solutions. I'd really love to know what their thinking is for not making that a much bigger priority.

I don't know why people go into threads about particular games just to shit all over them anyways, especially when they always seem so caught off guard when people dare to enjoy something they don't.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Unless an MMO is setting up separate economies on each server, I don't know why all MMOs don't all just do that. It'd allow zones to constantly have at least a few people in them - making the world feel more alive - while also preventing the snowball effect that can sometimes happen in MMOs.
Especially considering that you don't fight over resource nodes in GW2. I see that in the WoW thread that is one of the complaints about screwing up economies and such because of shared resources. This simply isn't the issue in GW2.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You honestly think I haven't been giving examples, or that I hate this game and want it to fail, and that I'm ignoring what the other people say?
I think pyksel was mostly responding to swags rabble rabble rabble. You made good point imo.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
I don't know why people go into threads about particular games just to shit all over them anyways, especially when they always seem so caught off guard when people dare to enjoy something they don't.
If you enjoy something, why should someone else who calls what you enjoy garbage bother you? You're having fun, why should you care? No one has been coming into this thread to troll though, and as much as it might bother some people, this game does have issues which other people find unacceptable. With regards to Swag, hes said nothing I see that's even borderline out of line and he explained the reasons why he feels the way he does and apparently judging from various forums including this one he's not alone.

Are we only to say nice things about games we enjoy and hold back on what we perceive to be the negatives now? What would the point of that be on a reincarnation of a message board that got famous for giving SoE an ultimatum for getting their shit together?

If this was UT kids would be threatened and notes would be evoked.

Swagdaddy

Really disappointed in this game tbh, so much hype and it was so over simplified and casualized that I feel like a 6 year old could play it. I was really excited for WvW and it has been unplayable since shortly after launch due to culling (STILL NOT FUCKING FIXED) it's just inexcusable to not have had this shit fixed months ago.

Still a bit bitter about it, and yes from time to time I get a friend who wants to try it and when we log in the place seems less and less lively.

All games do experience less popularity after launch, but even SWTOR didn't seem this empty after a couple months. I don't see good things in this games future.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Are we only to say nice things about games we enjoy and hold back on what we perceive to be the negatives now? What would the point of that be on a reincarnation of a message board that got famous for giving SoE an ultimatum for getting their shit together?
I'm all for discussion of the game and actually enjoy it, but there's a difference between discussing a game's faults and coming into a thread purely to call the game garbage and then insulting people when they dare to point out the positives.

Swagdaddy

Well when they insult you and your opinions first, it's hard not to stoop to that level.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I couldn't agree more about the culling. I guess that I have come to a point where I don't set my hopes to high. I'm enjoying the game and I hope it will get better.