Guild Wars 2

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Still haven't figured out why people who profess to hate the game so much spend so much time talking about it. I hated SW:TOR, and instead of spending day after day bitching about it in the thread, I made a single post outlining why I didn't enjoy the game and then stopped thinking about it. How can you be so obsessed with something you hated? Are you determined that everyone should hate it as much as you do?

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Still haven't figured out why people who profess to hate the game so much spend so much time talking about it. I hated SW:TOR, and instead of spending day after day bitching about it in the thread, I made a single post outlining why I didn't enjoy the game and then stopped thinking about it. How can you be so obsessed with something you hated? Are you determined that everyone should hate it as much as you do?
rrr_img_5921.jpg

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They are kind of funny in a pathetic sort of way. I can see the hate train on SWTOR, it had (has) some serious issues outside of the storylines. But the GW2 hate is reaching imo. It's not the perfect game, far from it. But it is very solid and better than most.

My question for Swagdaddy and the other crybabies is what mmo do you think is so much better than GW2? Really, I would like to know. Please enlighten us.

Imo, there isn't an mmo out that is the second coming of Jesus. They are all mediocre or worse. All mmo's fail at something. GW2 fails less than the rest.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
They are kind of funny in a pathetic sort of way. I can see the hate train on SWTOR, it had (has) some serious issues outside of the storylines. But the GW2 hate is reaching imo. It's not the perfect game, far from it. But it is very solid and better than most.

My question for Swagdaddy and the other crybabies is what mmo do you think is so much better than GW2? Really, I would like to know. Please enlighten us.

Imo, there isn't an mmo out that is the second coming of Jesus. They are all mediocre or worse. All mmo's fail at something. GW2 fails less than the rest.
If there was a MMO that was the second coming of Jesus we would all be bitching about the fanatical christians playing.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
All this being said I believe we can all acknowledge why LoL is so successful. It's not a MMO I understand but how many games can actually offer a unique, good time and camaraderie day in and day out...? Someone in the MMO industry is going to have to step up and step up soon...

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Logged in today for the first time in months, kind of amusing to see the auction house still not working properly with small interface/font size. Anyway, have they done some content updates, aside from the Halloween/Christmas events?

an accordion_sl

shitlord
All this being said I believe we can all acknowledge why LoL is so successful. It's not a MMO I understand but how many games can actually offer a unique, good time and camaraderie day in and day out...? Someone in the MMO industry is going to have to step up and step up soon...
if you think that's why lol is successful, you're clueless

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Because they want the attention.
rrr_img_5974.jpg

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Logged in today for the first time in months, kind of amusing to see the auction house still not working properly with small interface/font size. Anyway, have they done some content updates, aside from the Halloween/Christmas events?
New lvl 80 zone and lvl 80 "endless" dungeon and some jumping puzzles and events throughout the world. Best gear now comes from running fractals until your eyes bleed.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Is the new 80 zone another ugly-ass one in Orr? My two 80's have pretty good gear either way, but what's a fractal?

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Is the new 80 zone another ugly-ass one in Orr? My two 80's have pretty good gear either way, but what's a fractal?
New 80 zone is not ugly, but it ain't great either, tropical island with giant crab things and not much else that was added as part of a big event last month.

Fractals are the 'endless' dungeon, essentially like 9 mini-dungeons that you run 3 random ones at a time for a reward. Only place to get 'ascended' gear, a step up from exotic (only rings and backpieces implemented currently), and stuff with Agony resistance, only useful in the fractals themselves.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
if you think that's why lol is successful, you're clueless
You take into consideration all the complaints in this topic (GW2 and TOR) and you compare it to a game like LoL....

The LoL/Riot team balances countless champions and not just old ones but introduce new champions pretty often. To translate that into what MMO's are failing to do is focusing on the main thing. I heard someone say once, "Keep the main thing, the main thing.", you think about how many development hours go into card games, useless features, etc. and how many issues remained untouched.

You think of LoL's approach to items, integrity of co-op gameplay, encouraging the competitive nature of their game, etc. All of these are pieces that use to be the make-up of MMO's. You think of EQ, how important items were, grouping, rushing for camps, NPC's, raids, etc. All directly related to the aforementioned items found in LoL. All the core variables of a successful MMO placed into a different formula. MMO's now primarily touch on these core elements and passively put them in place and just cover it up with broken, unnecessary non-sense.

I agree with most, I log into a game like GW2 and still see a lot of broken things and a dwindling population, much like other games. Rift probably the most solid of the recent games/expansions. WoW, well, I don't even recognize that game any more but to me, it's ran its course for the most part.

If GW2 is going to be the premiere combat centric, PvP game to play, they need to touch on some core elements and not worry so much about new content. You think about how long you are willing to put up with content as long as the game is good.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
Comparing GW2 to LoL is a bit ridiculous. I'll just ignore that since I think you are only using it as a bridging argument for something else.

You do have a point, however, about the need for ANet to focus on important issues of the game. Like, for instance, fixing the fucked up necro class. I don't care how many dungeons they add, I will not play them if minion AI and UI continue to look like something out of 2002. Why can't my minions heal out of combat? Why do they suck? Don't offer minion master option if it is not viable, it pisses people off. What is the point of me getting better gear if the class I want to play has serious problem that as of today remain unfixed? Why on earth would you spend all this time creating this huge world and then make an end game where all you do is sit in LA to fight in an instance? You have an entire game world... use it?

More world bosses, less instances. Polish the classes more and fix all the broken traits. What's worse is that the holiday skins they are releasing are just awful (although the Halloween skins were good, the way you had to get them was shit). I kinda get the feeling that Anet is trying to do too much at once. But the game is still good. My problems with it are mostly because of the class I want to play being poorly fleshed out, and that the cosmetic options in the gem store are seriously underwhelming.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just like the battle droids from Episode 1. That worked well for Lucas.

If something is supposed to be disposable, it needs much shorter cooldowns and the rewards for sacrificing it need to be worth not slotting other skills. Also, if they are meant to be trashed, why is there a trait that boosts your toughness but only if you keep your minions alive? It's just a really sloppy class with bad design that needs fixing asap. It is sloppy and bad because they did mean for pets to be weak, but they provided absolutely nothing to justify that weakness. It just doesn't make sense.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
You take into consideration all the complaints in this topic (GW2 and TOR) and you compare it to a game like LoL....

The LoL/Riot team balances countless champions and not just old ones but introduce new champions pretty often. To translate that into what MMO's are failing to do is focusing on the main thing. I heard someone say once, "Keep the main thing, the main thing.", you think about how many development hours go into card games, useless features, etc. and how many issues remained untouched.

You think of LoL's approach to items, integrity of co-op gameplay, encouraging the competitive nature of their game, etc. All of these are pieces that use to be the make-up of MMO's. You think of EQ, how important items were, grouping, rushing for camps, NPC's, raids, etc. All directly related to the aforementioned items found in LoL. All the core variables of a successful MMO placed into a different formula. MMO's now primarily touch on these core elements and passively put them in place and just cover it up with broken, unnecessary non-sense.

I agree with most, I log into a game like GW2 and still see a lot of broken things and a dwindling population, much like other games. Rift probably the most solid of the recent games/expansions. WoW, well, I don't even recognize that game any more but to me, it's ran its course for the most part.

If GW2 is going to be the premiere combat centric, PvP game to play, they need to touch on some core elements and not worry so much about new content. You think about how long you are willing to put up with content as long as the game is good.
If I understand what you are saying correctly, then it's that the underlying gameplay has to be fun, because no matter how many bells and whistles you put on top, it will still fall apart ? Saying that about a game that is almost a direct rip-off (though now less so than 2 years ago) is quite a bold move. Even then, what is a core MMO mechanic ? combat ? crafting ? just the way you control your character ? Because if you take WoW over the ages, probably the only thing left untouched is the combat system and very few spells and that's the one of the few things that can be directly compared and where GW2 has an advantage. The other would be the world design, the first time I saw Kodan monastery, my jaw dropped to the floor and as boring as Orr might be after you spent umpteen hours farming it, it wipes it's ass with all the undead places of WoW. Dwayna's and Lyssa's temples are gorgeous and unless MoP zone design blows my mind, there's nothing comparable.

Anyway, one thing I kinda like about Arenanet is that they design shit to stay, whether you like it or not, if you pick the game up in 6 months, there's only going to be more content, your character won't have 10 different spells and stuff in your bank won't become worthless. That is rather refreshing thing, because I swear Blizzard redesigns every class every expansion just for shits and giggles and LoL was introducing balance patch every 2 fucking weeks.