Guild Wars 2

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
And we all know why the Heart system exists. Because, at one point, someone in design became afraid that "players may not know what to do! How do we give them something to do?".

The answer in WoW is the yellow "!" sign, and being told explicitly "go there now" (and, in various expansion, being absolutely unable to go there until told. I'm looking at you, Cataclysm). The answer in GW2 is "look at your map, and find a heart that's empty".

Yep. Because that shit is done in your Personal Story. You know, the thing that has a real quest journal, tells a story in which YOU are the hero, yadda, yadda? In which you follow a story, just like the WoW quest lines? Where you infiltrate a Dredge city disguised in a Mining Suit, try to keep alive the defenders against a massive onslaught of undead on Claw Island off Lion City, etc? You see, those kind of things exist in GW2. Just not on the map, in an instance.
And I mentioned the story quests, Most of those are STILL of the tedious kill shit variety, there are a FEW that are really neat, like drinking contests and stuff. The story quests are well done. Why are there only a handful of those in the game to do? Why defend hearts? They fucking blow. The story quests in this are still not as good as Star Wars, Wildstar, Secret World, or even the neater WoW stuff, either in presentation (talking heads) or in content (by and large the same shit, just with voiceover happening).

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
And I mentioned the story quests, Most of those are STILL of the tedious kill shit variety, there are a FEW that are really neat, like drinking contests and stuff. The story quests are well done. Why are there only a handful of those in the game to do? Why defend hearts? They fucking blow. The story quests in this are still not as good as Star Wars, Wildstar, Secret World, or even the neater WoW stuff, either in presentation (talking heads) or in content (by and large the same shit, just with voiceover happening).
There are only few engaging quests/personal stories/hearts in GW2 and WoW and probably all games in between because the boring shit is easier and faster to make and the masses gobble it up. I subbed WoW in Nov/Dec'13 and went through WotLK, Cata and into MoP for the first time, and all of them had a shit ton of boring kill quests. WotLK most blatantly, maybe it's been too long for you. Northrend in general was nice, the story-heavy quests were too, but sooo much filler... and I assume I was enjoying increased xp gains because the expansion is old. Next up Cataclysm, and it was terrible and on rails like nothing I've ever seen before. I nearly threw the towel because of that but luckily I was halfway to MoP-level after Hyjal and that was bearable out of nostalgia. MoP was the best leveling of those expansions by a mile. I guess that bodes well for the next WoW exansion but the point is, you are holding your bias up like a battle standard when you make those claims about WoW. It's not nearly as rosy as you make it sound, and my experience with it is pretty recent and through the eyes of someone doing that stuff for the first time. And TOR class stories are the same fucking thing as the personal story of GW2, better only by virtue of having 8 different ones while GW2 merges each chapter down from 5 races to 3 orders to Trahearne's way or the highway. The rest of TOR is textbook WoW'04.

One strength of the GW2 setup that they are failing hard to capitalize on is their ability to instance any part of the world for story purposes (WoW's phasing). They could make additional story chapters with the scope of the better WoW quest chains and easily utilize their existing zones to have different events unfold there as part of your story. Personal story did that a bit but since then all they use it for is talking to some npcs at the start and end of living story bits. So yea, the sum of hearts, living story and personal story is mediocre with some gems. I just dont think that's any better or worse then what I've seen in WoW or TOR (didnt play Secret World, TESO, FF14 or WS past a couple of hours if at all, so no opinion).

Imo combat is fine in both WoW clones and TERA style, with GW2 being some kind of middle-ground. I wouldnt say either approach is shit, just different. Although GW2 PVE is pretty tame when it comes to abilities, but I dont blame their system for that, I blame PVP balance. It would be much more fun with less reliance on dodge and stronger control abilities and a couple of really big hitters for players, but cant have that because PVP.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Kill shit quests are great, because you can usually do them at your own pace. Story quests are fun the first time around, but when you have to repeat that shit and wait for the NPC to walk their butt to predetermined location, or for enemies to finally spawn, I wish I could just aoe few mobs at my own pace.

One nice thing about GW2 is that you are happy when you meet another player, because they removed all the mob/loot/kill stealing, so I guess they are reluctant to wall off important stuff into instances. The game is at its strongest point when you just randomly run into a few people and you take down a whole event chain including a champion.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Draegan: combat..I don't even. It's literally impossible to think that combat in GW2 is superior to Wildstar. I mean they're SO similar in design with one having strictly functionally superior execution. It's like saying FF14 combat is better than wow or something - they might as well be the same, but one has a longer GCD and shitty animation delays and stuff. GW2 claims action combat but the only action it really involves is using invincible rolling and otherwise running bosses around like retards in dungeons while you aggro swap them back and forth.
Dunno about WOW's quests these days, but I still hate having to pick up quests and doing a list of them, even if they are 2 or 3 in phases.

I liked GW2 combat better than Wildstar because I really don't like telegraphs. I like how in GW2 I can "autoattack" one of my attacks. Just the little things honestly.

edit: someone mentioned Wildstar's mobs have autoattack/white damage. That's another I had forgotten.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The heart stuff was just a streamlined quest system to me. I thought it was fine and I'd prefer it over WoW's quest hubs. I honestly didn't care about the personal story. It was just a bunch of shit I had to get through. Honestly I generally don't care about main stories in any RPG I play from Daggerfall to Baldur's Gate to Ultima. I care more about the world which is why I enjoyed the events so much and wish that MMOs tried to follow that.

What I really like about events is fundamentally they're sandbox-quests. Random shit that happens in the world that the players can take part in. The more variant they are the more interesting they are and the more you can go out to a zone, adventure in it and not know what is going to happen. Obviously three state events don't have that, much a zone that's driven by complex and open events would. I'm talking about having a zone with 5 competing factions in it, all continuously sending out war parties to take the other land. And if players help out the weakest faction by focusing their quests they'll become top dog for a day.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Why defend hearts? They fucking blow.
I don't defend hearts. Hearts are like faction. You do them for completion's sake, or because you need something specific from that vendor. Most of the time, you don't do them, and they simply complete because you were there during an event. Given that, why spend resources on what is essentially busywork made so there's something on the map for the ADD player who gets bored if he has no objective displayed somewhere onscreen?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Next up Cataclysm, and it was terrible and on rails like nothing I've ever seen before. I nearly threw the towel because of that but luckily I was halfway to MoP-level after Hyjal and that was bearable out of nostalgia.
Cataclysm wad probably the worst in term of how WOW Storyline was structured.

But basically, I tend to consider that the "personal storyline" is not what MMO are about. We have single-player RPGs for that. Unfortunately, the MMO-verse has been trending toward that format for the last 10 years. We're always the Hero. I'm the Slayer of Issormir (GW2), the Vestige (TESO), or the guy the Black Dragon Prince wants to evaluate to decide who gets Azeroth (WoW MoP).

If it were me, I wouldn't have that stuff in a MMO. MMO would be about a world in which us adventures roam and band together. GW2-type events would be what it's all about.
MoP was the best leveling of those expansions by a mile.
And leveling would be a consequence of playing the game, not the goal of the game.

They could make additional story chapters with the scope of the better WoW quest chains and easily utilize their existing zones to have different events unfold there as part of your story.
I think that's what Season 2 is supposed to bring about. We'll see tomorrow, when the first episode opens.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm the kind of player who doesn't mind questing, but sometimes too much is too much.
WoW stramlined a lot and cut down the number of tasks significantly, Wildstar is so fucking bloated it makes me cry. Sometimes I could hand in 3 or 4 quests at once and the xp bar hardly moved, so I started doing only main storylines, then I needed faction to buy stuff and had to do some tasks again.

GW2 was incredibly amazing for me: I had *no* quests but the main one, I just fucked around exploring, killing anything that moved, harvesting materials (not competing with others for materials was also a blessing) and I never once said "fuck, there are other people around" which in Wildstar is pretty much a common occurence, because you can't complete challenges unless you group and 90% of the people don't want to group.
I had events and even after 5 level 80s, there are events I still have to do once, some puzzles I still have to complete, a few zones I really don't know very well and so on and so forth. GW2 is packed with flaws: combat, dungeons, etc. etc. we discussed them and are still doing so, we also know Anet doesn't give a shit about what's right for us (and many others, mind you) and happily goes on its merry way, but for fuck's sake, give props where it's due: GW2 levelling was an extremely fun experience and is (imo) a lot more interesting than Wildstar, where most of the quests are so obnoxious I'd want to punch the designer in the stomach.

TBC was cool, WotLK was a bit vehicle bloated, but I had a lot of fun, Cata was a shit cinematic-infested crap (Uldum was unbeatable) and MoP was decently fun. After 9 years and change of WoW, I still think GW2 was more fun during the levelling part (and the first few times we were totally raped in dungeons). Wildstar has a lot going for it, but levelling is atrocious, I can't even think of doing it a second time.

As I posted a couple days ago, with a few (big) changes GW2 could become my favourite MMO right up there with WoW, but it's lacking too many things to be that good and when even WoW releases more significant (for my taste) content than GW2, something's wrong... so yeah, screw living story and give me full expansions.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Why defend hearts? They fucking blow.
Quest and Hearts both accomplish the same things, give you a reason to kill shit or do shit to get you to travel through the map and get experience and levels. Hearts do it better than quests in my opinion only if at a minimum it's different. I hate questing, it's just a laundry list of shit you have to do no matter what retarded quest line WOW has you do or whatever. At least hearts disguise it better for me. In conjunction with events, sometimes they coincide and I have an enjoyable experience.

I'm with Tuco on this one. Don't give a fuck about the story line or the living story shit. I haven't paid attention to a story in an MMORPG is like.. never. Just give me a world where I can do stuff in.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think the only RPG I've ever really cared about the main storyline was Mass Effect.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
Hearts didn't do a damn thing for me either. They all just felt generic and even talking to the NPCs to get some context was (not surprising) generic. I'll take a huge list of ! to mow through any day. I thought I hated and was done with ! questing and heralded GW2 but their system just didn't deliver. The whole leveling experience just felt boring. My friend and I were similar in that we once we unlocked all our abilities we pretty much lost interest in the game (usually in the 30's.) There wasn't anything else to really shoot for. The gear was mediocre in gains and aesthetics in most cases and the dungeons were abysmal imo. That said I have 3 level 80 because /crafting. Once I hit 80 and got exotic crap off the trading post there wasn't much else I knew about/wanted to do. Probably a caveat of crafting 30-80!

I agree on the personal story bits and the "OK" combat system. I still think they have the most beautiful world hands down. I wish I wanted to play in the world they built and keep it installed, but I can never find the motivation to log in.

Wildstar does inundate you with a shit load of quests but it feels like its smoothing out a bit as I'm leveling. The first few times in Algoroc were pretty overwhelming quest log wise.

Caliane

yeah. not a fan of hearts. the dynamic event system. I LOVE.
But hearts were just the standard quest system in these games.

people still talk as if hearts were intended to be the main content. They were not. They were just breadcrumbs to get you into the areas you needed to be for the REAL quests.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Finished DA1 but not 2 (got very close, that game sucked.)
Did not finish Fallout 3, barely even started NV.
Finished a couple guild storylines in Skyrim but never the main one.

Single player games I've finished in the past few years:

DX:HR
Borderlands 2
Bioshock Infinite
ME 2 but not 3 because welp.
SWTOR. Yeah, I know it's an MMO but I'm gonna pretend it wasn't, because the single player campaign was actually a decent Bioware RPG by itself. Also I want to forget about that fucking Huttball announcer. Seriously, if Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was real, you could sign me up for erasing the Huttball announcer's voice on day 1.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wildstar does inundate you with a shit load of quests but it feels like its smoothing out a bit as I'm leveling. The first few times in Algoroc were pretty overwhelming quest log wise.
Whitevale alone killed any replayability in Wildstar for me.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
Whitevale alone killed any replayability in Wildstar for me.
Haven't been there myself. So far I've got 3 characters to about 20 and almost through Galleras and lost interest in the class. I've never liked Galleras though. I'm leveling a warrior now and need to find out if I can do something other than Galleras. Hopefully there is an alternate zone.

I did remember I've beaten 2 SP games in the last decade. KOTOR (which took me 2 years off and on) in preparation for SWTOR and Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus because it had some Wildstar flavor. Super fun game.

Anyway back on topic right? I've always been curious if I would have had more fun at 80 if I had no crafted my way up. Does the game introduce you do activities to do as you're progressing 40+? As I mentioned previously I just crafted to 80 from roughly 30 or 40 (after first dungeon) and bought exotics with gems. Then shrugged and said I was bored at 80. That is my own fault not Arenanets and I'm curious if actually leveling the entire way would have changed my experience? I didn't search out things to do at 80 but outside of WvW or doing hearts for cosmetic items I was at a lost for what to do with my freshly minted 80.