Guild Wars 2

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just to make sure I understood correctly, for season 2, I can log in once during every event and it'll automatically save that content to my account so I can revisit(or visit it) anytime I want, correct? If I miss one, I can pay a small fee in gems to unlock it instead but as long as I log in every 2-3weeks or whatever they're patching, it unlocks all the content and I can just do that later on if I feel like playing.
Yes, though you should try to make sure that your Journal has it unlocked and ready to be played, that is, you see the green star telling you where you should go to start.

My quick review of the new living world bit:

Fun events in the new zone. Love the sandstorm mechanic. Love the idea of the tiered rewards. Living story events were solid and fun. Story itself was fine but the "villain" was a little thin. Unfortunately none of the rewards are interesting at all. Food recipes and tank gear recipes in a game where tank gear is almost completely useless. They really need to do more thinking about the lateral progress of rewards. It's kind of a shame to have a great new zone and already people are like "meh, done all the events once moving on since i don't need anything here."

Still, it's free content for anyone who has already bought the game and what is there is fun to see and play.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Y'know, I shit on GW2 as much as the next guy (It deserves a lot of shit), but you're ACTUALLY just being a massive faggot, which is impressive. It's possible to recognize how fucking stupid most of a game's design decisions are while still also recognizing the things it does well.
It's just amazing how little it takes to impress some people, this little update is not impressive, they added a personal story chapter a bunch of jumping shit, and oh god they added a sandstorm, like no other game ever did that. Watching the new FF patch trailer compared to Gw2 season 2 trailer makes me laugh.
I enjoyed stuff like the lion's arch getting destroyed living story and I enjoyed the queens pavilion, moving fluent combat is great and wvw has no competition from other games, I wish they would spend more fucking time on that part of the game. There's a lot of shit they did right in the game and lot of shit they did wrong and refuse to fix, I paid for the game, and I paid for gems, so fuck you if I want to dump on it.

P.S You only unlock the achievements after you finish the story the first time, so you get to replay the story again to do the achievements yay! who's fucking stupid idea was that?

It's just amazing how little it takes to impress some people, this little update is not impressive, they added a personal story chapter a bunch of jumping shit, and oh god they added a sandstorm, like no other game ever did that. Watching the new FF patch trailer compared to Gw2 season 2 trailer makes me laugh.
I enjoyed stuff like the lion's arch getting destroyed living story and I enjoyed the queens pavilion, moving fluent combat is great and wvw has no competition from other games, I wish they would spend more fucking time on that part of the game. There's a lot of shit they did right in the game and lot of shit they did wrong and refuse to fix, I paid for the game, and I paid for gems, so fuck you if I want to dump on it.

P.S You only unlock the achievements after you finish the story the first time, so you get to replay the story again to do the achievements yay! who's fucking stupid idea was that?
I can't think of any game that did a sandstorm like this. Please elucidate your comparable.

Comparing trailers is dumb.

FF patches every 6 months.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They patch every month, other than the first few months where they did take a long time to patch. Game will be 1 year old in august when they plan on releasing 2.3, which is the 3rd major content patch, so every 4months if you want to only count major patch, but that'd be quite biased to only count these and count small episodic story related events as actual patches. In the 3 major patches, they'll have added housing, guild housing, pvp arenas(granted that's shit in that game), 3 new raids zones, 3 new primal fights(with 3 difficulty levels, but think Ramuh might only have one or two at first), 2 new dungeons, several hard modes to existing dungeons, daily LFG tool bonus with level scaling down to help new players. And a class. An entire fucking class.

We had this discussion before, it's been almost 2years since GW2's release, and what is there to show for it? Not much. They were doing a lot more stuff back in GW1, probably cause you had to pay for it so they could afford actually putting some effort into it. I checked all the patch notes stuff quickly since release, while there's patches every 2-4weeks with always living world content(some of which is pretty crappy based on what ppl here say but I assume some of which was great), if you jump to the New Features and Content part, it's almost always empty or adding very very small thing(adding a jumping puzzle, adding new crafting recipes). They added what, a LFG tool, account wide gear/wardrobe/etc, a healing skill and a WvWvW map in the past year?

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
What's this sandstorm?
From yesterday's brief experience, you can't see shit for a while except in front of your own nose, which was quite cool. Not sure what else happens, didn't have time to check. When the sandstorm started I was about to log off and stayed for another 2 or 3 minutes.
I liked the quicksand, that shit scared me, didn't even notice them because of the fucking sandstorm. Anyway, what I saw was a small area, lots of sand, stuff you have to jump over, those neat bundles that gave you funky movement skills (from the zephyrite ship). Nothing truly impressive so far, except the 2 female NPCs that wanted to have a go at each other in front of me at every dialogue line (or so my perverted mind made it sound to me).

This game needs 2 new classes, both pure healers (monk and something else), some better tanking skills through new weapons and some fucking content where trash cannot be skipped by outrunning it for 30 meters.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
From yesterday's brief experience, you can't see shit for a while except in front of your own nose, which was quite cool. Not sure what else happens, didn't have time to check. When the sandstorm started I was about to log off and stayed for another 2 or 3 minutes.
I liked the quicksand, that shit scared me, didn't even notice them because of the fucking sandstorm. Anyway, what I saw was a small area, lots of sand, stuff you have to jump over, those neat bundles that gave you funky movement skills (from the zephyrite ship). Nothing truly impressive so far, except the 2 female NPCs that wanted to have a go at each other in front of me at every dialogue line (or so my perverted mind made it sound to me).

This game needs 2 new classes, both pure healers (monk and something else), some better tanking skills through new weapons and some fucking content where trash cannot be skipped by outrunning it for 30 meters.
Sounds like what Rift did in one of the newbie dungeons where it was a blizzard. Was a pretty cool effect.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
The sandstorm is a cool idea, as is the quicksand area. Would be nice if more traps and environmental hazards make a comeback. My main gripe would be that the area is too small for the initial release of the season. And that's assuming that they expand it 1-2 times per month (which isnt certain for now, but likely).

As 'a' living story patch I think it's fine, good for an evening or two of entertainment. They certainly did build it up to be more though. I was hoping for something like the southsun introduction story arc: Karka attack -> investigation scavenger hunt -> bigger Karka attack on LA -> find island -> land there and build bases -> epic fight across the whole island with the Ancient Karka... compared to that this episode is tame, but the small new zone is more interesting then what southsun left us with I guess.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Assuming GW2 devs succumb to player requests and change the game to allow the traditional tanking and healing roles, instead of new classes to perform those roles, how simple would it be to do it similar to TESO where the taunt and defensive skills are in the 1H and Shield skill line and healing skills are in the Resto staff line. The devs could just add the 1H/S skill line to the melee classes and resto staff to the casters.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Assuming GW2 devs succumb to player requests and change the game to allow the traditional tanking and healing roles, instead of new classes to perform those roles, how simple would it be to do it similar to TESO where the taunt and defensive skills are in the 1H and Shield skill line and healing skills are in the Resto staff line. The devs could just add the 1H/S skill line to the melee classes and resto staff to the casters.
Mine was more of a hopeless cry, rather than a genuine hope. See, I love GW2 because it's been very "immersive" for me since release and I'm in love with their art style and world design. It's also quite challenging if you want to consider Orr respawn rate into the mix and bad players into pugs (which I can help a lot thanks to the trait Phalanx Strength nowadays, yay me for giving out a fuckton of might stacks for zero effort).

The reality is that the game is not made for tank+healer combos, also I don't think most people would want to play, say an elementalist and be asked to sit in water to heal the group collective ass just because of their class choice. The game is what it is and I still appreciate it, but I found out that holy trinity, imo, is better than anything else, at least so far.

EQ Next promised to have an amazing game without the trinity, we'll see.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I don't mind the lack of trinity, or at least classes bound by specific roles. The game really requires more flexibility and character growth. Everyone has repeated the same thing for every page: More skills for each weapon, more weapons, more classes and interesting and different things you have to do to unlock them. Charge people 5$ each to unlock the content or whatever.

The game is what it is and I still appreciate it, but I found out that holy trinity, imo, is better than anything else, at least so far.
Used to be 4 roles with the "control" being bards and enchanters in EQ. I liked that better. For a time there was even sort of a 5th role of debuffer.

I think the problem with GW2 is that there is only one role and not everyone is equally good at that one role.

There's really two roles.

DPS and Party Buffs (which also does DPS).
Only might buffing and even that is only for the real nerdy hardcores. You can get through everything without much reliance on it. Dirty fun secret though... you can actually increase DPS with one person with some condition damage. Just one since they overwrite each other. Vulnerability debuff is also necessary but it's built into most DPS builds anyway.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They had a good system in GW1, I don't know why they went so far away from it. I can understand removing the trinity(and as such removing priests as a class) but mesmers and necromancers were both extremely useful in GW1 for the control and condition crippling they used to do. In GW2 though, they're just different flavor of damage with a few tricks. Condition stacking was handled kinda poorly too, while it's obvious it needed caps, the caps are way too low so that even 2 condition users can't coexist. At this point I don't even know if adding more skills would be possible or useful, which might be why they didn't bother. GW1 didn't have as many issues mostly because it was a more fragmented experience, they didn't have to care about balancing the classes with each other as much because the roles were a lot more specialized and every character could have a sub class which would let you customize and balance it out yourself, if some of the priest spells were too good for healing then you'd take them on your ritualist and be able to heal fine, or the contrary.

From reading the patch notes, it seems they spent a year working and reworking every skill on every class, and the end result? I still see a ton of complaining that classes aren't one bit balanced. They didn't add anything, they have a pvp and pve split, they only have one "role" and yet none of it is balanced, still.

As for the story, I'm not caught up yet but so far, it looks fucking awful. I still remember GW1's story arcs. Prophecy was pretty crappy, Factions was a bit short but had some interesting concepts, but Nightfall is when it really started becoming interesting and Eye of the North really delved into the world's story and creates a lot of characters and shit that would then be taken in GW2. GW2 vanilla story was pretty cool, from nobody to fighting Zhaitan and shit. But what I'm reading happened after, looks fucking shit so far. What happened to reconnecting with Cantha and Elona? I can understand Elona there's still Krataltorrik in the way, but Zhaitan was defeated right, so the way to Cantha should be open. Why aren't we going to Cantha? It seems they went for a new dragon with the living world story instead of going for stuff that everyone expected. They'd need to bring out some insane shit to even be able to rival seeing the Jade Sea in GW2's engine or finally finding out what the fuck happened from GW1. Makes little sense to me they'd purposefully avoid nostalgia and a wealth of already made designs just to make some new stuff up even though there's a ton of unresolved stuff still.

It really saddens me because I was really pumped for GW2's story back when I started playing during alpha and live. I got bored of the game but I thought I could always come back later and enjoy the story progression. Well first I can't since it's all gone, and second it seems they didn't progress shit. Such a waste of the IP.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll agree with most of what you said, but with this Season 2 they are finally going in the right direction. They are expanding the world to the West (this first chapter makes its abundantly clear that they are going to open more of Maguuma up), and dealing with an Elder Dragon. I'm not sure opening Cantha right now makes sense really, having stories dealing with the closer immediate threats (Mordremoth / Kralkatorrik) seems like a better idea. Besides, it wasn't only Zhaitan that cut Cantha off from Tyria, but the Undersea Dragon too.