Guild Wars 2

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Warrior is basically better at everything than most classes. Someone at ANet has a serious hardon for them.
Is that for PvP, PvE or both of them? I don't PvP but having fun ripping through shit on my warrior.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Greatsword abilities are a bucket of rape. Especially when you get the passives that boost their damage.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Warr are mid tier currently. GreatSword are decent DPS in PvE but in WvW they are more of a jousting weapon.

bleedat

Molten Core Raider
After doing nothing but pvp the last few weeks warrior is very middle of the pack. Just very limited and very telegraphed.
Mesmer and ele is where it's at.

Sneeto

Golden Squire
Picked this up at release, got to 80 and quit a couple months after. I have returned and made a charr ranger, which is pretty fun.

I need a crash course for WvW though -

Where the do I begin? I went in, even though I wasn't 80 yet and couldn't really figure out what to do. There was little communication in our chat and I couldn't really figure out where to go for a good fight. I went to a few camps/areas and fought a few people in small 2 or 3 man skirmishes. Ideally id like to go do something I know is contributing to the war effort for my server. I don't really enjoy the mass pvp unless I know I'm doing useful stuff. I know I must be missing something.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Picked this up at release, got to 80 and quit a couple months after. I have returned and made a charr ranger, which is pretty fun.

I need a crash course for WvW though -

Where the do I begin? I went in, even though I wasn't 80 yet and couldn't really figure out what to do. There was little communication in our chat and I couldn't really figure out where to go for a good fight. I went to a few camps/areas and fought a few people in small 2 or 3 man skirmishes. Ideally id like to go do something I know is contributing to the war effort for my server. I don't really enjoy the mass pvp unless I know I'm doing useful stuff. I know I must be missing something.
Ask in map chat where the fighting is at and surf the zerg until you get your bearing. Look for crossed swords on the map as that is one indicator of some action. Once you get your legs and understand what's going on, you'll be able to pop in, look at the map, and figure out what's up.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Some info on new legos and economy changes for HotS:
Hot New Legendary Weapons | GuildWars2.com
The Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Economy | GuildWars2.com

TLDR: Old moneymaking methods nerfed, dungeon rewards are going to be shit, if you want to make money, buy HotS. New legos will not require any precursors, just be prepared to do all of HotS and PvP/WvW stuff or pay for that part. The expansion will launch with 3 new ones and they will release the rest post launch, no underwater legos ATM.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Is there any reason to buy the expansion if you're not playing a max level character? Didn't sound like they were adding a new leveling path or anything at all really for casuals

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Is there any reason to buy the expansion if you're not playing a max level character? Didn't sound like they were adding a new leveling path or anything at all really for casuals
Probably not, come to think of it. It is all max level stuff as near as I can tell except for the new class.

For casuals though, I think there will be plenty - if you casually make it to level 80. All of the new zones, I believe, are going to be Silverwastes-style zonewide event maps, which is about as casual-friendly as it gets. Drop in for a little bit and make some progress on whatever or just take part in fun shit. Though, having only been back in the game six weeks or so, Silverwastes and that style of zone is still fun for me. I imagine if people have been grinding it for months it is decidedly less fun.

As expansions go, it is pretty goddamn light on content. 4 zones, a new class, elite specializations, a handful of raids, ditching dungeons entirely - compared to the size of the original - that is weak for the price they are charging for it and the kind of stuff something like WoW just adds in with regular content patches.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
As expansions go, it is pretty goddamn light on content. 4 zones, a new class, elite specializations, a handful of raids, ditching dungeons entirely - compared to the size of the original - that is weak for the price they are charging for it and the kind of stuff something like WoW just adds in with regular content patches.
That's true, and I'm not defending their pricing, but I bet all living world content going forward will deal with expansion zones. So effectively you're paying for the expansion and access to Living World.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
They need to price more for less work on expansions because they don't make 15 bucks a month off of you.
This is true. To be fair to Anet there is a lot of content in Guild Wars 2 for the price of just the box. The caveat is that you have to enjoy that content but if you do it's fairly easy to get your money back.

Faltigoth

I wonder too if part of the high price tag of the expansion is to get their relatively new generation of F2P players - people who didn't have to buy the box to begin with - to pony up the requisite cash.

I mean, I get it, it has always been free after the initial buy, no sub, ANet gotta feed their families, and so on. And there is plenty of content already there. And I will no doubt get my 50 bucks worth a thousand times over out of it because I am on a rage for this game right now and will likely be there through the winter.

It just feels like a SWTOR Rise of the Hutt Cartel 20 dollar type expansion, and not a full price TBC-type expansion.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
That's what Anet has always done with Guild Wars. I never really played GW1 so I can't really compare the content of each expansion. I have a feeling each GW1 expansion had multitudes more content though.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That's what Anet has always done with Guild Wars. I never really played GW1 so I can't really compare the content of each expansion. I have a feeling each GW1 expansion had multitudes more content though.
Factions, the first expansion, was kinda poop, I think it was a lot smaller than the base game(which wasn't very big to begin with), but did add a bunch of pvp stuff(battlegrounds and shit) as well as 2 entire classes. Nightfall, the 2nd expansion, was larger than the base game and the first expansion combined, shit's like an entire game and added one of the best feature in the game, Heroes, which were way less shitty than mercenaries and added some sort of collection/team composition system to the game. Eye of the North was small, but had a lot of story stuff packed in so overall was fairly interesting, but didn't really add that much, no new class(only expansion without any), not many new skills. It was however the last expansion for a game that was already on its last legs and shit.

Overall the price tag was kinda high if you bought everything at release, but for the most part was worth it, especially Nightfall. Wether this expansion is worth the money or not though, don't know, not exactly sure how much actual content there is. There's a bunch of new specs for every classes and new weapons so that's nice but for a lot of people content is how long you can play new stuff and if there's only 2-3major zones, that's like a weekend worth of content which would be pretty crappy.

Good thing about this methodology however is you can just buy the shit later and enjoy the content for a lot cheaper. When I bought GW1, I got every expansion+base game for the price of one new game, and it had like several weeks worth of content.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I was trying to keep an eye on HotS since the announcement, but even then I have no idea how much stuff I'm getting at launch. I know that they are supposed to finish the raid and the lego collection after launch, but that's it. They did a terrible job communicating the amount of content, compared to Blizzard's "8 zones, 10 levels, 2 raids, 6 dungeons"

So that's how they put this into the "maybe later" category for me.

Caliane

yeah, I already said it. but, I am not seeing anything all that enticing. And the price point is offputting. Feels like they are charging to keep playing.
I have like 2k gems sitting there... I would feel alot better with a much cheaper expac cost, and some nice stuff in the gemstore.

Faltigoth

Nightfall, the 2nd expansion, was larger than the base game and the first expansion combined, shit's like an entire game and added one of the best feature in the game, Heroes, which were way less shitty than mercenaries and added some sort of collection/team composition system to the game.
Nightfall was probably one of the best expansions to any MMO ever. That shit belongs right up there with some of the early EQ ones and WotlK in my book. I still miss my Dervish.