Guild Wars 2

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Shitty in what way? Yeah, we will be shitty in that we aren't War/Mes dream combo, but a well-played Ranger can help utterly fist any comers. PvE-wise, Rangers are a wrecking ball. I wade into a metric fuck-ton of hate, wreck everything, and go home smiling.

Sure, there are classes that do what we do, and do it better, but it's so easy to play a Ranger really well, that it doesn't make a difference.

Beyond that, their reputation of being the DK of WoW in GW2 might be largely deserved. Longbow+Bear all the time in a dungeon is the wrong way to go...yet I see it all the time. No weapon swaps, no stacks, just sit back, bear, then fire and forget.
I just remember Ranger pet AI being pretty meh.
I remember the ranged weapons being worse than a Warrior.
I remember Gsword being real fun, but the other melee weapons being kind of meh.

I just remember a lot of people not really playing rangers because every class did something better. And pets sucked.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
So are most US players on Jade quarry? Im still on SoS and i think it's mostly aussies and most of the zones are pretty dead minus lions arch and the into human zone.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
So are most US players on Jade quarry? Im still on SoS and i think it's mostly aussies and most of the zones are pretty dead minus lions arch and the into human zone.
Most of the wvw NA guilds moved off SOS to like Sanctum of rall, Jade quarry, blackgate. Along with Tarnished coast and dragonbrand, they are the top 5 wvw NA pop servers, with blackgate probably the most stacked at the moment, more so now probably because they're killing tequatl often. SoS still has a strong oceanic presence, it's the only reason the server stays up in the 7-9 rankings. I've thought about moving to Rall where I have a friend playing, but usuallly get a good night or two a week in wvw with commander luvpie to dissuade me, although not a lot of good commanders after him, plus Rall still gets queues on wvw reset.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is there a trick to avoid overflow for Tequatl outside of living in Sparkfly Fen 24/7? Overflow groups are generally pretty terrible, it's not even worth an attempt most of the times.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
You can get into the same version of the zone as your group members (your mutual main server or an overflow), right click the other player in group window should have an option to join them. However the zones also have a hard limit (200 players afaik) at which even that doesnt work anymore. I'm up to 3 kills now and think this is exactly the kind of encounter they needed for outdoor content, but the overflow issues and zone caps are problematic. I hope that goes away once the scrubs tire of failing.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
The problem is that this encounter is not easy: being in the wrong place at the wrong time makes it a lot harder. Coming with zerker gear is just like asking to die over and over. There are so many things that can go wrong, it's not even funny for a massive PuG. Doesn't help that in Overflow nobody does what commanders ask them to do (I even was with a good commander once, but people just don't listen).
It'd be an awesome guild encounter, that for sure.

This game needs a lot more stuff like this (and my freaking precursor to drop). If they keep pushing this kind of content (with appropriate rewards), add back Monks to the game (for healing/supporting)... oh well, one can dream
smile.png

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
It's not PUGable, I agree. The majority of people need to know what they are doing. Two randoms standing in the wrong spot isnt going to wipe everyone though, its just that currently you have 120 people there of which 60 dont know what to do and *think* they are above listening to the instructions. Thats the big problem. On our server instructions are given, but too many do not carry them out. Once the ratio changes to 80 people that know what they are doing and 10 clueless people it will go smoother.

I believe in two weeks a new living story will take center stage, and all the people that crowd Sparkfly Fen because they think they need to beat Tequatl THIS WEEK will be gone. That will remove the whole overflow issue without Anet lifting a finger. Any guild or coalition of guilds that want to do the encounter can go there early enough to make sure they have the turrets (which are the main issue as far PUGs are concerned). I'm sure interested players will band together for it somehow (there are already several guilds for that purpose). He spawns every few hours, its not like that is a once per week chance that gets screwed up.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I've been playing GW2 again the last couple of days and oh boy do I agree on the turrets. Usually I stick around them and try to defend, but the amount of people I see who will not even cure the poison right on top of them is staggering. They just ignore whatever is happening around them and press 1, if anything.

PvE in this game will get a lot harder if ANet sticks with this approach, but I don't feel like this kind of encounter is suitable for an open environment. It's so easy to get screwed over by idiots and you have absolutely no way to remove them. Not only do they ignore mechanics and mess everything up, their mere presence will scale up the fight and make it harder still.

Another thing about the turrets though, is anyone else constantly losing their target (i.e. Tequatl) for no reason? I have to reselect the boss all the time; he does his stomp and the target's gone; the rears up for the fear, target gone etc.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Yea its very annoying, several world bosses have that problem (Mark II for example). If you are grouped you should be able to mark the head to get the target back quickly.

Imo the jury is still out if this remains unsuitable for the open world. Like I said above I just think that with waning interest because it's no longer brand new the situation will solve itself. Personally I like that it's open world. Sure there is some baggage with that compared to at-your-will instances. maybe that's nostalgia talking but I'm willing to accept some disadvantages for something like this, I hope Anet introduce more content like it. I actually feel its the first case where their "cosmetics instead of stats" comes into play, maybe the second because fractals have their own hard-to-get skins. But dungeon skins are commonplace and nothing special. Imo no +gooder is fine as long as you can set yourself apart through what content you do, and GW2 (as so often) dropped that ball. Crafting for example should've been dedicated and reward special skins, too.

Lusiphur

Peasant
I have been dicking about on an elementalist over the weekend (levelling is still fire right?). Asura. I noticed and a couple of people confirmed it when we tried a +2 event and got our arses kicked that it is easy to miss a few quest hubs. I was consistently running at +2 but when I went back and found the mussing hubs they didn't give me enough to bridge the gap.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
If you're not dabbling in crafting or WvW then you're falling behind unless you go explore some on your own regardless of "quest hubs" (I dont really consider a heart or two a quest hub). If you dont like exploring or crafting, the easiest way to stay on curve is switching to another zone string at some point. I made a Sylvari and did their starting area, decided I didnt like by level 13 or so and switched to the norn start area... never really had problems all the way to Mount Maelstrom, then Frostgorge to finish.

Oh yea, use food and "drink" they are both xp boosts.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have been dicking about on an elementalist over the weekend (levelling is still fire right?). Asura. I noticed and a couple of people confirmed it when we tried a +2 event and got our arses kicked that it is easy to miss a few quest hubs. I was consistently running at +2 but when I went back and found the mussing hubs they didn't give me enough to bridge the gap.
If you do your personal story and complete a zone, you'll likely end up two levels higher than needed for the following. Also Elementalist is a bitch to learn, you don't sit in one attunement if you want to do quick damage (for levelling, that is). Mine is not 80, I gave up quite early, class is too much work for too little result imo and is wet paper until you get a bunch of traits open. I'll pick it up again the future and play with the lightning hammer to try it out.

Back to Tequatl: too many noobs equal bad scaling and a nasty swarm of champions on turrets. That was my experience.

Kasted_sl

shitlord
The times I've done Tequatl successfully so far has been on the server instances. One of the things they try and drill in is that when the dps dies on the dragon and have to run back, to take the long path around everything and avoid the turrets at all cost. If people are taking the shortest routes through the turrets they will quickly become overwhelmed with the champ mobs spawning from so many people passing through.

As for leveling, either try a different zone around the level range you are in (there are generally 3 zones available to you at any level range while leveling up). Do some WvW or crafting when you need to fill in some xp or just don't want to do any of the zones available to you. If you want to level up in WvW, you'll find the eternal battlegrounds are the zone to do it. There are usually some form of karma/WvW xp train going on there. We've had several people level up their characters to 80 in just a week by riding the trains there.

Speaking of WvW, how are people liking the changes to the borderlands and the bloodlust addition? On Stormbluff it seems there are alot of group fights going on around them. I feel bad though, with the crazy match making going on we ended up against 2 other servers that we just beat down mostly. Well, here is hoping for some fun when they start the leagues in a week or so.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Killing the fingers seems to help keeping alot of the pressure off the zerg - used Feedback for that but I guess any good way your team can think that kills them quickly works.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The LFG tool is a very good thing for this game, now I just need people whom don't suck to finish CM.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Looking for people to do story modes when I was leveling up my guardian was always a pain, I never did CoE or Arah just because it would be 1-2 other dudes and I sitting around, right outside the dungeon forever.

I advertised them now and it fills up in like 1 minute tops.