HAM Radio - An Old White Sausage Party on the Airwaves

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I recently took the Technician's exam and just got my callsign. I volunteer on a Search and Rescue team and it was a requirement for the radios we use. The team assigned me a nice little Japanese portable and I upgraded the rubber duck to a 15". I spent some time configuring for some area repeaters and finally made my first contact (after making a bunch of calls with no answers and then finally realizing that my CTCSS had not been configured properly).

Studying for the exam really revealed a whole community that I really never knew had so much going on. Thinking I may have to get a base station with a slightly larger antenna to tinker around with since reception in my office was not great. I don't think I'm ready to go balls deep drilling holes in my house for a outside antenna just yet.

I didn't see a thread but surely there are some HAM nerds on FoH.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kais

<Gold Donor>
HOA's will fight you if you put one up, even though they are legally protected for HAM operators. Statute varies by state but they all have them. There are many options for stringing a wire across your attic that can be every bit as effective as an outdoor. A well tuned antennae will be a more valuable tool than a $10k base station.

I let my callsign lapse because i don't have the energy to fight the HOA anymore. I have a couple of shitty rat neighbors around the corner that will literally google the product names of the empty boxes in my trash can and file a complaint about anything more complex than a calculator. (seriously why the fuck do i need to attend an HOA meeting because i bought a 65" tv) DXing and QRP can be fun (just making contacts) but most of your local nets end up being old guys talking about their colon/sciatica/gout. It's a shame but the hobby is dying out. Most folks getting into it now are all about the digital modes that just sound like static on voice bands. The old guys love shitting on digital modes.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I got a technician license because I needed a radio for my senior project in college in 1998. Still have the license but haven't used it again. I used to listen to people talking on it at night sometimes but the conversations never really made me want to participate and then of course the internet came along with a much easier option to talking to far away strangers and calling them faggots and whatnot.

I made an attempt to get some people in my rural neighborhood to get ham licensed but they all freaked out at the idea of taking the test so I wound up doing a less ambitious version using GMRS. We are far enough in the boonies that we can pretty much have the whole GMRS frequencies to ourselves. In addition the county road, sherriff, and county fire departments put a repeater tower on my land since I'm nearly the highest elevation in the county and since I didn't charge them rent for it they let me have my GMRS repeater on their tower which is pretty sweet for communicating around the ranch. One of the best things about it is that GMRS didn't have to convert to narrow band in 2012 like everyone else did so in narrow canyons and such sometimes my radios actually work better than the fire or sheriff department ones do.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
HOA's will fight you if you put one up, even though they are legally protected for HAM operators. Statute varies by state but they all have them. There are many options for stringing a wire across your attic that can be every bit as effective as an outdoor. A well tuned antennae will be a more valuable tool than a $10k base station.

I let my callsign lapse because i don't have the energy to fight the HOA anymore. I have a couple of shitty rat neighbors around the corner that will literally google the product names of the empty boxes in my trash can and file a complaint about anything more complex than a calculator. (seriously why the fuck do i need to attend an HOA meeting because i bought a 65" tv) DXing and QRP can be fun (just making contacts) but most of your local nets end up being old guys talking about their colon/sciatica/gout. It's a shame but the hobby is dying out. Most folks getting into it now are all about the digital modes that just sound like static on voice bands. The old guys love shitting on digital modes.

Sounds like you need to move to a different neighborhood.

The whip antenna I put on my HT is marginal for area repeaters so I ordered a full 2m foldable that should arrive today or tomorrow. At 6dBi I think it should be good enough for my conditions.

I joined some local nets, and some not so local, on EchoLink last night and, yeah, a lot of them seem to be locals just checking in to shoot the shit a little. I listened to one that was more strict and was a group of guys practicing relaying messages.

Dying out? Don't know about that. I am in a small town and when I took my exam, there about a dozen people there varying in age from 30s to old dudes. A couple of women. Yesterday I heard a girl chatting on a local repeater who sounded like she was a young teenager.

I think there is still an argument to be made that in scenarios where the power grid is down for whatever reason and there are problems other infrastructure like Internet and Cellular, ham can still be useful and need just a generator or battery.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It would be interesting if it had a resurgence. They certainly made that a lot more likely by getting rid of the morse code requirements. My grandfather tried to get into ham radio when he retired but discovered that the tones were too high-pitched for him to hear so he was pretty much out of luck.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
New transievers will decde CW (morse code) with pretty good accuracy and put it on the display. Have had extra license for years. Never used UHF/VHF and use HF at times. A number of antennas from a simple diploe (long wire) to a 43' vertical with a radial field of wire buried around it. The code requirement has been gone for a long time. A lot of stuff on the air now is digital modes and a LOT of stuff is now SDR, software defined radio so the users does most everything on the computer and has a box attached to it to receive and transmit. Looking at my logbook have 100+ different countries on my contact list. A lot of people get on regular "nets" groups on the same time like hurricane stuff, and just general chat. I normally just use it to talk to people all over the world, but you end up talking to people with an above average income and disposable money and technically(radio) oriented than on the internet. Can say/do anything as long as it's not encrypted. It took the FAA years to finaally nail a guy in the midwest that was stepping all over frequencies he had no license to use in powers above what you are limited to. 100 watts is a good strting spot for HF and with a good cheap dipole you get good reception both ways. I talk at times to a guy in Lebanon that has multiple 1000' foot towers that is really into ham radio. If you make a contact they can look up your call sign and send you a contact card or vice versa. I talked to a guy in Hawaii that sends a card on native wood from Hawaii, normally has a pic or something related to the area. It's not for everyone. Some like to talk, some get into the technical aspects, some people look to use it in a bug out situation and such. Endless things. Lot of people have transeivers in their vehicle and such. First contact I made was a guy in CT driving home from work one day. I have one contact from guantanamo bay Cuba and other odd things. One prince on the air I'd have to look up from where in Europe. Buzz Aldrin at the anniversary of Apollo mission. Once to a gulfstream airplane guy was on ham on the way back from Mexico to CA. I get contacts from islands that I have to look up to find out where in the hell they are, some oddball countries as well. People sailing is a big one.

Was funny to hear some Europeans that fled Europe during the "pandemic" to go live on a small island with no traffic at all. I do not live in a HOA obviously. Entire segment of the hobby that make stealth antennas for HOAs or put the wire in their attic out of sight.

You have to have an address on file to get a license. I use a UPS box as my address. If you want a license take the online test the questions only change once every 10 years or so. Very little of the info is on how to actually use and talk on the radio. Pick that up using a radio quickly. Most is tech related and some obviously on what you are restricted to as far as bands, powers, and legal aspects like in an emergency anyone can use any band without a license if needed in a true emergency. You can imagine some people in some parts of the world go all out, entire antenna farms of giant antennas and very large amplifiers.

Tech license gets you limited amounts on what you can use, general more so, and extra license you get your own slice of certain bands that really cuts down on the goofiness and into people actually talking about whatever or tech related. Can take all 3 if you want at the same time, or take them in steps. I took mine at a nearby hospital and the local group did the test and graded it then sent it in to the FCC. 90% of the stuff is of no use to most hams, memorize it, take test, and move one. License last 10 years and if you renew you don't have to retake the test if you don't let it lapse.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
When I was a kid my grandfather was a trucker so lots of time playing on CBs while he would go into dispatch. My dad was also a trucker for awhile and when I was in high-school in the 90s he set up a nice base station with a huge outdoor antenna. We lived on a dead end dirt road and could regularly hear people in town about 20 miles away. Plus a few trailer parks out in the country within that range.

Me and my friends loved hearing the local trailer park drama unfold in the evenings, the most memorial was a guy hiding as heard fighting and gunfire in the trailer across from him. It ended up being a double homicide where the guy killed his X wife and her new boyfriend. We were sitting there getting the play by play of the augment then the gunshots happened. Didn't believe the story until it was verified in the paper a few days later.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Reminds me of a townhouse I was renting in KY. I'm sitting on my couch with nothing on and I hear someone talking .......everywhere. Happened multiple times before I realized the guy across the street from me had an antenna draped across 2 trees and was keying up his HAM. Since it never happened when I was trying to sleep I just got on with my day. It was funny though, especially before i knew why.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Reminds me of a townhouse I was renting in KY. I'm sitting on my couch with nothing on and I hear someone talking .......everywhere. Happened multiple times before I realized the guy across the street from me had an antenna draped across 2 trees and was keying up his HAM. Since it never happened when I was trying to sleep I just got on with my day. It was funny though, especially before i knew why.
Had a next door neighbor a long time ago that had a freestanding tower in his back year, maybe 40ft tall? Not sure, but it was much taller than his house. I could never really understand him, but when he was do whatever he was doing, it would basically take over my tv and radio. TV would go full static and could hear nothing but him. Sound would even seep through with the TV off.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Had a next door neighbor a long time ago that had a freestanding tower in his back year, maybe 40ft tall? Not sure, but it was much taller than his house. I could never really understand him, but when he was do whatever he was doing, it would basically take over my tv and radio. TV would go full static and could hear nothing but him. Sound would even seep through with the TV off.
Nah bro this guy was clear as a bell over the phone, my speakers (even unplugged speakers) , anything that could vibrate to make sound. I don't know what he was pushing wattage wise.
I only lived where I lived because of a project in KY and it was close enough to walk to the project site. I happened to notice the wire running across trees and over to the house which is when I realized it. But while it was an inconvenience , it was a minor one and he didn't key up late so live and let live.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nah bro this guy was clear as a bell over the phone, my speakers (even unplugged speakers) , anything that could vibrate to make sound. I don't know what he was pushing wattage wise.
I only lived where I lived because of a project in KY and it was close enough to walk to the project site. I happened to notice the wire running across trees and over to the house which is when I realized it. But while it was an inconvenience , it was a minor one and he didn't key up late so live and let live.
The not understanding was more to do with the guy than the volume lol. He sounded like an ebonics-cajun-auctioneer or something lol. Whatever it was was barely English.
I never went to bitch at him, but it was pretty annoying when you sat down to watch a movie or play a game and your tv was like "nope, it's screaming-gibberish-radio-guy time!"
If I could have understood him, or at least heard the other side of the conversation, I could maybe have played along at least lol.

• 1Worf

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I don't know anything about that shit really but study material and one of the questions on the exam indicated that if you're operating legally, interference caused to a neighbor's reception should be a problem on their end. What that would be, I don't know.

Also I ordered a 5/8 2m foldable antenna for my HT. Hoping it will help with some of the area repeaters that are on the fringe for me.

Last edited:

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Reading over the years all the tech articles when people get pissy about interference at their house form a ham neighbor it's overwhelming the person complaining having an issue. Chinese made electrical components on one end and Taiwanese or Japanese with better quality control on the other. The FCC gets involved sometimes and they wind up tracking down some electrical problem the complainer had and not the ham person. CB guys are notorious for operating out of bounds legally in power and frequency. Loggers still use CB here and there are still shops that really advertise for it.

If you have a HF antenna now you are "required" to have the paperwork and formula you used to decide if your atenna was safe at X distance and such. You don't have to measure it but you are supposed to at least have done the formula. Can't lie I didn't even look. My 43' vertical is 100 watts power and is a couple hundred feet from the house and much much further from somone elses house.

Just recently the Chinese handheld company Baofeng got smacked down with a partial import ban since their shit was so far out of spec. But hey what do you expect for $25 radios right?

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Reading over the years all the tech articles when people get pissy about interference at their house form a ham neighbor it's overwhelming the person complaining having an issue. Chinese made electrical components on one end and Taiwanese or Japanese with better quality control on the other. The FCC gets involved sometimes and they wind up tracking down some electrical problem the complainer had and not the ham person. CB guys are notorious for operating out of bounds legally in power and frequency. Loggers still use CB here and there are still shops that really advertise for it.

If you have a HF antenna now you are "required" to have the paperwork and formula you used to decide if your atenna was safe at X distance and such. You don't have to measure it but you are supposed to at least have done the formula. Can't lie I didn't even look. My 43' vertical is 100 watts power and is a couple hundred feet from the house and much much further from somone elses house.

Just recently the Chinese handheld company Baofeng got smacked down with a partial import ban since their shit was so far out of spec. But hey what do you expect for $25 radios right?
I have no idea about the rules and legalities, and it was like 20 years ago, but if my neighbor is making my tv/stereo unusable for hours at a time, then I reserve the right to be grumpy in his direction. If normal, off-the-shelf consumer electronics can't operate within 100 ft of someone else's property in a residential neighborhood, it feels like that should be an issue.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
yeah same, it was ....fuck 28 years go ,damn I'm old. Dude didn't do it when I was sleeping and I played my PC loud enough that I could drown his shit out so I didn't complain at all. It was REALLY weird playing Doom 2 and hearing someone talking while I'm blowing out demons!

• 1Worf

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I understood the sort of wonder that this might provide someone in the early to mid 20th century. I just don't get this hobby post cell phone era. What's the catch?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It could be useful in the event that the cellular and landlines and internet were all taken out somehow. Until then, it's basically just a worse version of the old white sausage party we call firesofheaven.org.