Hamilton (2020)

spronk

FPS noob
damn this movie is fucking long as hell, its like 2h40m. watched half last night, wife has watched the play and loved it. first 30 mins is boring as hell, it gets a little better after that but its pretty much a musical all the way through (i hate musicals) and i just don't get why so many people are nuts about this bland story.

my biggest thought the whole time was "if its wrong for white people to voice act black/asian characters, why is it ok for black actors to play white historical figures?" I don't have a problem reimagining plays with different races and shit, after all none of these figures rapped or sang or danced but then at least be fucking consistent and don't get butthurt when a white lady plays a black character.

one of the chicks in the movie plays the black rebel leader in Altered Carbon, that was sorta the only interesting thing i found. the movie was shot in 2016 during the live play, its so weird they waited soooo long to release it

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Maximum moolah. If they'd released it earlier it would have either hurt their ticket sales or the recording would have under performed. It's really good timing, I think.

The problem I have with it is that the music isn't particularly good. But that's the problem that I have with most musicals, this one isn't special. Every now and then someone manages to make one interesting from start to finish. It is possible, just exceptional.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
damn this movie is fucking long as hell, its like 2h40m. watched half last night, wife has watched the play and loved it. first 30 mins is boring as hell, it gets a little better after that but its pretty much a musical all the way through (i hate musicals) and i just don't get why so many people are nuts about this bland story.

my biggest thought the whole time was "if its wrong for white people to voice act black/asian characters, why is it ok for black actors to play white historical figures?" I don't have a problem reimagining plays with different races and shit, after all none of these figures rapped or sang or danced but then at least be fucking consistent and don't get butthurt when a white lady plays a black character.

one of the chicks in the movie plays the black rebel leader in Altered Carbon, that was sorta the only interesting thing i found. the movie was shot in 2016 during the live play, its so weird they waited soooo long to release it

From what I read, it took this long to release because Disney didn't win the rights until February of this year. This was supposed to be released in theatres in Oct. but because covid shut the theatres down they decided to release on Disney+ on July 3rd.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Garbage
giphy.gif

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
I liked this musical. I was worried when the first 30 minutes was wall-to-wall singing- that pace was too much. It settled down nicely after that, though.