HardOCP closing down

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
One of the few sites I have visited daily for most of my adult life. HardOCP got me into computers and taught me a lot about overclocking when I was a teen (1998/1999). It's going to be difficult to break the habit of checking them daily.

[H]ardOCP: Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm pretty 'meh' about it. Their reviews haven't been all that great for some time, their forums are nigh-useless due to the bickering, and their front page was turning into half shilling/half garbage links.

Good for Bennet though, I appreciate the work he did on the Nvidia GPP stuff a while back, and for making one of the better sites (back in the day) so it's nice seeing him land a good gig.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Are there any big US tech sites left? Seems like the few I used to visit have been on fumes for a while.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There's many left but they've long since devolved into news aggregate/blog shit. Most good content comes from small specialized sites or youtube.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

People would definitely rather watch a video than read these days. I like to pour through data but I understand the allure of the video angle. I still haven't found a presenter that isn't annoying or cringey as fuck so far.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
People would definitely rather watch a video than read these days. I like to pour through data but I understand the allure of the video angle. I still haven't found a presenter that isn't annoying or cringey as fuck so far.
what are good tech youtube to watch?

• 1Like

Lurkingmoar

Molten Core Raider
Sucks, I found out about them when Techtv was still around and they had Kyle on Screensavers. One of the first sites that helped me learn how to build my first PC and taught me basic IT/IS knowledge.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i'm pretty sure i came upon hardocp, cuz they were about the only site with info on getting crazy overclocking with slot1 p3, 550. i think in the end, i took off the backplate, cut out the front plate and used bic pens as spacers, probably only got 27mhz

• 1Like

Hekotat

Man I'm not sure, they are all annoying as shit or make the video way longer than it needs to be. Maybe one day I will stumble upon someone I like to watch.

Athlon XP eraser trick to unlock cores is what brought me to the site. Running quake demos with roommates to see who could get the most frames was some good times, I always remember waking up to sticky notes on my door of a new record for the house.

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>

Gamer's Nexus is the best as far as thorough detailed investigation/review similar to some of the old written tech websites. Actual Hardcore Overclocking is VERY detailed. Buildzoid has done videos for both them and Gamer's Nexus and he breaks down motherboards and video cards down to the components used on the PCB. I highly recomend his videos when you're in the market for a Mobo or Video Card.

Linus at times, but a lot of their videos tend to be more clickbaity and less technical, still decent content. He's also one of the few that gets into more of the IT side of things with his videos about the servers and production environment used by the Linus team. Basically everyone else is purely focused on consumer equipment for gaming.

JayZTwoCentz is too water cooling obsessed, that accounts for like 60% of his videos, Bitwit is ok, Paul's Hardware is ok.

Last edited:

Hekotat

I hate Linus, that is one annoying motherfucker.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lurkingmoar

Molten Core Raider
I usually follow Coreteks, and Adoredtv although they hit on the speculative side of things, and are not everyone's cup of tea. For reviews, Gamers Nexus, Digital Foundry, and Hardware Unboxed are usually my go to channels. Component breakdowns, Buildzoid from his Actual Hardcore Overclocking channel. Honorable mentions, Wendell from Leveltech1(linux stuff), Louis Rossmann (Apple stuff), Redtechgaming(tech news/opinions), thee good old gamer (speculative tech talk/opinions).

Last edited: