Having an existential crisis

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Supertouch did you know humans all exist in a giant fish tank, the outer walls encasing us, the torrent of infinite, that is beyond human mind to comprehend. We an imperfect being, building our roads that mimic blood vessels, our industrial complexes that mimic organs, preforming specific specialized functions. We slowly building a giant human out all our tiny collective minds. Imagine all the little living things smaller than us, imagine how the smaller the animal the less aware of our existence they become, until we realize they are in fact completely incapable of recognizing our existence. Now imagine the titans that rule the universes above and beyond us, that we marginal creatures simply do not have the capacity to understand.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think you have the wrong dictionary. Here is webster - as I pointed out to you in pm
smile.png

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fanatical

Definition of FANATIC
: marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion <they're fanatic about politics>
- fanatic noun
- fa?nat?i?cal?ly adverb
- fa?nat?i?cal?ness noun
See fanatic defined for kids ?
Variants of FANATIC
fa?nat?ic or fa?nat?i?cal
Examples of FANATIC

<because of her fanatical views, her friends know better than to discuss religion with her>
here's what i quoted in the pm to him...

fa?nat?i?cism (f-nt-szm)
n.
Excessive, irrational zeal.
The American Heritage? Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ?2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fanaticism [f?'n?t??s?z?m]
n
wildly excessive or irrational devotion, dedication, or enthusiasm
Collins English Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged ? HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

that isn't really any different than what websters dictionary used. i simply chose that one because it DIDN'T refer to any specifics. in the other definitions it likes to throw out things like religious, political or sports-related fanaticism. which, yes, are good examples. they just aren't the only examples. you can be fanatical about anything.

you're just someone asserting your opinion and personal findings as science. We call those creationists around here
smile.png
and you're just someone assuming that as soon as someone uses their own opinion in the scientific community, they are creationists. the fact is that people go about using the scientific community to back up their own belief system all the time. there are PLENTY of scientific discoveries that have done more to prove the existance of God than not. but hey, continue your non-fanatical witchhunt of someone who never attacked anyone, just because he doesn't agree with you.

Being an atheist is simply rejecting theistic claims. Nothing more. Nothing less.
fair enough.i was attempting to not use the phrase "believing in science." i realize athiests aren't scientists and vice versa.

j00t

seriously though, in the spirit of peace, let's just agree to disagree. i didn't come on here to start a religion flame war.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
you can be fanatical about anything.
Again with the equivocation fallacies. They, science and religion, are not equally valid, falsifiable, or carrying the same weight in any sense. One goes about determining reality and is the only consistently and reliably method for doing so mankind has. The other relies on faith. Equating those two is asinine in any respect - including being 'fanatical' about them. One is not as good as the other. A fanatical knowledge seeking book worm is nowhere the same or equal to a child molesting priest. You don't get to equate reason with unreason!

the fact is that people go about using the scientific community to back up their own belief system all the time.
That's horse shit. This is precisely why we have peer reviews - those whom fail to adequately explain and convince their peers of the validity of their discoveries by using the scientific method - e.g. so others can reexamine and recreate experiments and findings - are considered to have provided a contribution of lesser value. All findings are not equal or equally supported by evidence. This is why unfounded assertions, like the existence of a sky god, are discarded outright.
You need to understand what the scientific method is. Here, read:
http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.p...entific_method
Now stop making unfounded assertions regarding science.

there are PLENTY of scientific discoveries that have done more to prove the existance of God than not.
Bold assertion. Citation? I'm sure you'd win the Nobel Prize for showing this to anyone using the scientific method. You know, not faith, not gullibility, not 'wishing it was so'. Do go on, it's hilarious
smile.png

Also, you're the one making the positive claim, the existence of a sky god, you have the burden of proof. Demonstrate your god - win a nobel price - or a million dollar even here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_R...rmal_Challenge
I'll wait for your triumphant demonstration
smile.png

but hey, continue your non-fanatical witchhunt of someone who never attacked anyone, just because he doesn't agree with you.
You're doing that all by yourself - I'm simply helping by pointing out your gross misconceptions of science and religion.

fair enough.i was attempting to not use the phrase "believing in science." i realize athiests aren't scientists and vice versa.
1) There is nothing to 'believe'. Science is not a belief.Science in the broadest term is a system of discovery and invention based on empirical evidence and experimentation rooted in methodological naturalism. It has nothing to do with believing it or not. You're thus making a huge, huge equivocation fallacy.
2) Atheism has nothing to do with science. They're not synonyms or interchangeable. Atheism is, as stated, simply the rejection of theistic claims. Trying to understand the world around us can lead to atheism, sure, it's only natural when you realize that there is more to the answer than 'a god did it'. But it's not a requirement. The head of the human genome project, Francis Collins, is a Christian for instance.

seriously though, in the spirit of peace, let's just agree to disagree. i didn't come on here to start a religion flame war.
Seriously though, in the spirit of reason, stop coming to the the grown up thread with your childish imaginary friend argument, and stop pretending your unreason is on the same shelf as reason. We have aThe Theism Threadfor that - along with Zeus, Allah, Loch Ness monster and all the other imaginary beings.

j00t

Wait... So I said something in response to the op that was in no way offensive nor malicious... And you tell me I can't come here because what I believe in and then insult me for doing so? I'm seriously sorry that my beliefs have offended you so horrifically that your only recourse is to call me names and try to kick me out. I have made several attempts to call a truce and move on. However you seem to be unwilling or unable to do so. Maximum rustle indeed.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
You're not the victim here. You don't get to put reason and unreason on the same shelf. As long as you're being intellectually insincere, yes, your opinion is not welcome in the 'Grown Up Stuff' sub threads. You are free to make equivocation fallacies in, say,the rickshaworThe Theism Thread. That's what they're there for. Good day, sir!
smile.png

j00t

dude. leave it. if you seriously feel the need to have a conversation with me, do it in pm's.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
the reason i bring it up, is because someone mentioned something about people having these crises finding religion. people hate on religious nutcases a lot. and a good chunk of them deserve it, but people find religion because they see things that don't make sense to them and religion helps them make sense of it. and to be clear, i use the term "religion" incredibly loosely. someone can be religiously fanatical about islam just as easily as someone can be religiously fanatical about science.
Had you left this out, nobody would care. But you put science and religion in the topic, shithead. Fuck off with your religious nutjobbery.

j00t

Yes you did.
no. i didn't. if i wanted to, you'd know.

Had you left this out, nobody would care. But you put science and religion in the topic, shithead. Fuck off with your religious nutjobbery.
why is it that as soon as someone says he's religious, everyone comes out of the woodworks to call him crazy? i didn't say you have to be religious. i didn't say you are wrong if you don't agree with me. i stated an opinion to which i still hold on to. i said that someone can be fanatical about anything. the "anything" doesn't matter. a cook can be fanatical about food. a republican can be fanatical about his rights. an athiest can be fanatical about his athiesm. it's NOT about making "reason and unreason equal."

i know PLENTY of people who have told me that evolution is correct but have been unable to tell me WHY. JUST as how i have had people told me that creationism is correct BUT CAN'T TELL ME WHY. i am NOT saying that science is wrong or unreasoning or anything of the sort. for lack of a better term, i am a scientist myself.

if someone can tell me that their truth is that gravity exists and they have done enough tests and experiments to make their decision on it? awesome. i love that. if someone says that gravity exists because their teacher told them and if i don't agree with them wholeheartedly then i'm wrong? well... that's a fanatic. it's NOT about science. the gravity being real is IRRELEVANT to the fanaticism. it's not about making science and faith equal. because they are not and they never will be.

can we get back on topic now?

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone else still waiting for that list of scientific discoveries that show God exist?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You're not the victim here. You don't get to put reason and unreason on the same shelf. As long as you're being intellectually insincere, yes, your opinion is not welcome in the 'Grown Up Stuff' sub threads. You are free to make equivocation fallacies in, say,the rickshaworThe Theism Thread. That's what they're there for. Good day, sir!
smile.png
I don't think you are in any position to tell people what is welcome in a particular forum. If his post offends you so much put him on ignore and go see an OB about that weepy pussy of yours.