HBO Now

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So they just announced that HBO Now will be $14.99/mo and it will be available April 1st in time for GoT.

I think I will pay for it just to show support for them and other services doing that.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Only available right now through iTunes devices and PC using a browser.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
If they add a similar showtime subscription I will have zero reasons to have cable TV. Hundreds of channels and outside of CC, Food/Travel network and a few shows on HBO and showtime, there is fuck all to watch. Cant wait not to pay for garbage and just get what i want.

Column_sl

shitlord
If they add a similar showtime subscription I will have zero reasons to have cable TV. Hundreds of channels and outside of CC, Food/Travel network and a few shows on HBO and showtime, there is fuck all to watch. Cant wait not to pay for garbage and just get what i want.
You won't save any money tho. You'll have to buy your internet off the combo price which means it will be more expensive.

So say you pay 30 bucks for showtime/hbo and 50-60 for your ISP. You haven't saved anything

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Definitely in for this.

Why would your ISP block HBO Go? They don't do that for Amazon Prime/Netflix.

Column_sl

shitlord
Definitely in for this.

Why would your ISP block HBO Go? They don't do that for Amazon Prime/Netflix.
Because it's all about contracts, ISP's have to get their cut, or they block. It's already happening on the PS4 right now.

HBO GO is currently blocked on the PS4/PS3 by comcast because they haven't worked out a settlement yet.

If they can do that they can easily block the new HBO now if they aren't get paid what they want.

At 15.00 I doubt this will happen, but just saying they can do it.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Only available right now through iTunes devices and PC using a browser.
Are you sure a browser based PC can access this? Everything I was reading was saying "iTunes exclusive" and "Apple only" and such... Be nice once they get past that gobbledegook.

As for the blocking.. that's EXACTLY what the FCC Net Neutrality thing is supposed to fix.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You won't save any money tho. You'll have to buy your internet off the combo price which means it will be more expensive.

So say you pay 30 bucks for showtime/hbo and 50-60 for your ISP. You haven't saved anything
There wont be any savings really since I can just cancel the other premium channels now and get down to the price I would have with HBO NOW + showtime equivalent. However, I am all for voting with my wallet so I would like to tell Verizon to eat my dick for forcing bundles of shit onto me.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Because it's all about contracts, ISP's have to get their cut, or they block. It's already happening on the PS4 right now.

HBO GO is currently blocked on the PS4/PS3 by comcast because they haven't worked out a settlement yet.

If they can do that they can easily block the new HBO now if they aren't get paid what they want.

At 15.00 I doubt this will happen, but just saying they can do it.
HBO go is a service that is validated through your provider, since it comes as a package with your subscription to the channel. They can choose not to validate your sub through certain devices, because you are getting the service through them, not directly from HBO

HBO now is a stand alone subscription that has absolutely nothing to do with your cable/satellite provider. They can't block it anymore than Netflix

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Are you sure a browser based PC can access this? Everything I was reading was saying "iTunes exclusive" and "Apple only" and such... Be nice once they get past that gobbledegook.

As for the blocking.. that's EXACTLY what the FCC Net Neutrality thing is supposed to fix.
The articles i have read say web browser plus apple product exclusivity for 3 months. Which is fucking stupid, I'm not getting an Apple TV and I don't really want to have a computer hooked into every TV I want to watch it on, so no go for me.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yea I'll just wait for this to hit Roku considering I've got 2 of them in the house. You have to figure eventually it'll hit that and chromecast.

Column_sl

shitlord
HBO now is a stand alone subscription that has absolutely nothing to do with your cable/satellite provider. They can't block it anymore than Netflix
HBO is not an ISP, and since your ISP currently runs the show they can do whatever they want until these new net neutrality laws go into effect which by the way can be overturned by the next administration. An administration that will be heavy decided by money from lobbyists..

Comcast ( for instance) can choose to block or throttle Netflix if they choose to.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
HBO is not an ISP, and since your ISP currently runs the show they can do whatever they want until these new net neutrality laws go into effect which by the way can be overturned by the next administration. An administration that will be heavy decided by money from lobbyists..

Comcast ( for instance) can choose to block or throttle Netflix if they choose to.
What I am saying is that this is in no way similar to HBO go.

Which is why I said it's no different than Netflix. Theoretically they could but they won't.

Column_sl

shitlord
What I am saying is that this is in no way similar to HBO go.

Which is why I said it's no different than Netflix. Theoretically they could but they won't.
They already have been paid off by Netflix to not throttle, that is 100% fact. As long as you pay them money they play ball, but don't think they are not in 100% in control for now.

They can block you from anything at any time they see fit.

The FCC is trying to re classify ISP's so they can enact more laws on them, but like I said it can all be overturned next Presidency.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I would love for Comcast to try and throttle HBO Now. With the throttling that happened with netflix and then this, it might wake people up to the issue.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Comcast didn't actively throttle Netflix, they basically just allowed a bottleneck to occur between them and Cogent (I think that's the right one anyways). Plus I don't think anything in title II would cover peering agreements which is what happened with Netflix and Comcast.