HD Recovery

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I have an old (5-7 years ago, maybe 600 mb) external HD that has stopped spinning. There're some photos on there I'd like to recover. I figure since the drive motor failed, this might not be possible. Any recommendations on how I might proceed or companies that do this work? I've googled some names but if anyone has any first hand knowledge, that would be handy.

TIA

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I have an old (5-7 years ago, maybe 600 mb) external HD that has stopped spinning. There're some photos on there I'd like to recover. I figure since the drive motor failed, this might not be possible. Any recommendations on how I might proceed or companies that do this work? I've googled some names but if anyone has any first hand knowledge, that would be handy.

TIA

Best bet is to find the same drive model on ebay or something (make sure it is the exact same), and swap the platters from your drive over to the new working one.

Youtube has lots of videos detailing how to do it. I did this a few years back with one of my wife's computers and was able to recover everything.