HDTVs

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'd trust Amazon to ship anything, they're awesome and their return policy is about the friendliest you'll find anywhere.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have ordered multiple TVs from Amazon. Good experience every time.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yep, nothing to worry about with Amazon. Whoever they hire for delivery will probably give you "white glove service" or whatever the fuck they call it and unbox it and turn it on for you (they won't mount it) to make sure it works, then they'll take all the packing materials back with them unless you want to keep anything.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wondering if anybody had any advice on an HDTV to get. Looking anywhere from about $500-650 or so. I've always had good luck with Samsung or LG so I'd almost prefer to get one from them, yet there are so many no name brands out there that seem to be a lot cheaper so it's quite tempting as well. I'd figure a 1080p if possible (although 720p probably isn't that bad) but then I'm wondering if 60hz is good enough for most gaming/movie needs or if 120 would be the way to go. Mainly though, I'd just use it for gaming.

Also, I'd rather go and pick it up in store just because either Shipping will cost a ton or you do free shipping and it can take a long as hell time to arrive, plus I've had shipping problems with UPS/Fedex before with larger items so I'd just feel better being able to pick it up. Target, Best Buy, Walmart, even Costco I guess?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Costco is probably your best bet for name brand. They don't carry any off-brand stuff like Wal Mart or Best Buy.

I know you said no to Amazon but the two TVs I've ordered from there have been delivered by some random company and NOT FedEx or UPS.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
and how noticeable would the difference between 720p and 1080p be? Also what about 60hz and 120hz? Again, mainly just for gaming (360/ps3, eventually xbone/ps4). I've always just used my computer or my laptop to watch shows / play games so I'm quite the noob when it comes to HDTVs and how noticeable these are.

Also, I'm not totally against ordering from Amazon, it's just I'd probably prefer to go get it in person. Plus, then I could go get it on that same day, which is another plus. Then again, some online deals are really damn good.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Costco is the best, by far, if you're definitely set on buying from a big-box retailer locally. They carry mostly Samsung, LG, and Vizio

They give you an extra year of warranty for free just from buying through them.

I love LG personally, they're generally like 95% as good as a Samsung for like 30-50% less in price. Great value.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
and how noticeable would the difference between 720p and 1080p be? Also what about 60hz and 120hz? Again, mainly just for gaming (360/ps3, eventually xbone/ps4). I've always just used my computer or my laptop to watch shows / play games so I'm quite the noob when it comes to HDTVs and how noticeable these are.

Also, I'm not totally against ordering from Amazon, it's just I'd probably prefer to go get it in person. Plus, then I could go get it on that same day, which is another plus. Then again, some online deals are really damn good.
If you do choose Amazon, you could sign up for a free month of prime and order the TV that way and then get it in two days. Plus depending on what state you live in, you pay no tax.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Id opt for the cheapest Vizio you can get at the size you want. Honestly at prices like $600-$700, even if it lasts you a few years (which will undoubtedly do so) and you have to buy a new one its still worth it.

As to gaming on a 60 hz. Unless you're hawkeye and have a keen eye for that sort of thing, its a non issue. I watch my kids play PS4 on their no name 42" I bought them for like $250 during the holidays and I can honestly tell you that I cannot see any ghosting or whatever.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Also check Dell.com, they have been having some really good TV sales over the last month or two. Had a nice 50" LG 120hz LED for like $700 + you got a $150 Dell gift card(could buy a tablet or some crap) not too long ago.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I don't know if its just bad luck but I've had issues buying TV's from discount big box retailers. I tried a couple of sets from Sams and Costco and all of them had large shitty white spots on the sides of the display in certain situations. Not sure if they get discounted units because the panels are more likely to not be perfect or not but I've had bad luck buying from them.

Amazon, has been much more reliable.

rrr_img_63556.jpg

My sets were not quite as bad as this but they were unacceptable.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One of the best things about Costco is the return policy. I'm sure they did, or would have, taken that back no questions asked?

This in turn brings about the dregs of society though... I once saw someone bring back 1/4th of a huge 5 gallon tub of fertilizer they bought 3 years ago and said their grass was dead so they wanted to return it. No receipt, nothing. The customer service reps were rolling their eyes but they just gave the woman store credit.

I also saw someone return a bag of chips they were eating in line because they didn't taste good. And someone who returned a dead bouquet of flowers they bought two weeks ago.

spronk

FPS noob
dont get 3d its fucking useless and i guarantee after 3-4 3d movies you will never, ever use it again. only one movie was worth watching in 3D the past few years, gravity, and it was only worth watching on big screen imax theaters.

also don't fall for the 240hz shit, its just interpolation the source is always 60hz into a tv anything more is just marketing bullshit, most people turn off all the fancy 120/240hz stuff for better picture quality. most of the time it doesn't really cost extra so eh whatever, but don't pay lots more unless maybe you watch sports all the time

for $2k you can probably get a really good 70 or 80" at Costco so may wanna swing by there and see what prices are at. bestbuy usually sucks dick at prices

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
My family got the Sony XBR X900A with the latest price drop. Wish I had the money to buy the new X950B with the full array local dimming.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
We ended up getting an 8000 series 60" set. Almost got a 4k Sony TV but stuck with the Samsung. Thing is gorgeous.

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
Why bother with 4k, there's no content yet and early adopters of new standards are always the first in line to get screwed.