HDTVs

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
God those visio 4k tv's you see at best buy are garbage. Black people look orange on it. Colors are atrocious. Little to no upscaling. At this point you should only buy Sony / LG / Samsung in that order for 4k tv's.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I was under the impression that the human eye couldn't actually discern 4k so I don't really know.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I was under the impression that the human eye couldn't actually discern 4k so I don't really know.
As with everything else, it's all relative to the size of the screen vs how far you are sitting from it.

a 55" 4k TV is still only 80PPI/DPI, most decent phones are now well over 300DPI, but you're obviously looking at them from a much closer range.

So, if you're using your 55" screen as a computer monitor sitting 2-3 feet in front of you, you're definitely going to be able to see a difference, but if that TV is 10 feet across the room, not so much.

Or by looking at a chart like this:
resolution_chart.jpg

Basically, a 55" 4K TV is going to still look as clear at 3-4 feet as a 1080p looks at 7-8 feet. If your TV is sitting 10 feet away from you, you're probably going to need a 70+ inch TV for 4K to look any better than 1080p.

Phones look so damn vibrant and bright, because you're packing such a huge resolution into a tiny device. A 400DPI 5" phone (your typical 1440x2560 5-6" phone) is equivalent to a 16K 55" TV.

Column_sl

shitlord
Basically, a 55" 4K TV is going to still look as clear at 3-4 feet as a 1080p looks at 7-8 feet. If your TV is sitting 10 feet away from you, you're probably going to need a 70+ inch TV for 4K to look any better than 1080p.
I want to believe their findings, But I'm going to toss this with the people that say that you can't see anything over 30 fps etc...

It's kind of bullshit.

Just go into a store and look at any 4k tv and a 1080p tv playing the same content but one has the increased 4k resolution. Do it from the same vantage point for both TV's, and any 4k feed will destroy it from any distance away. or close up.

I used to believe that about smaller TVs as well, but I can play a 720p feed next to a 1080p, and even on the smaller screen where it shouldn't matter it's easy to tell which one has the better picture.

From 10 feet away a 4k resolution 55 inch will trump any 1080p 55 inch. I would love to do a Pepsi challenge on that...

The worst thing about getting a 4k TV right now is there is barely any content, and you want your tv to be at it's native resolution. So if 99% of your content is still in 1080p for the next 2 years you should buy the best 1080p tv you can right now, and when the resolution shift happens go to 4k.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Also though, you better believe that retail stores are adjusting the settings on 4K TVs to make them look "better" than the other TVs to the average person. They're going to crank up the brightness and various other picture settings to make the colors really pop, while the $500 1080p TVs sit there with a slightly dimmer, less vibrant picture. Don't think for a second that Best Buy and other retail stores don't do that. They always adjust settings to favor the most expensive TVs.

Column_sl

shitlord
That really has nothing to do with 4k looking better then 1080p, and to be honest the more expensive flagship TVs are usually the best out there no matter how the electronic stores are selling them

The conversation is also which TV at 55 inches will look better at 10 feet. I believe a 4k tv playing a 4k feed will look better from any distance. I don't prescribe to that chart

I'm anxious to see the 2015 shootout for this year

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also though, you better believe that retail stores are adjusting the settings on 4K TVs to make them look "better" than the other TVs to the average person. They're going to crank up the brightness and various other picture settings to make the colors really pop, while the $500 1080p TVs sit there with a slightly dimmer, less vibrant picture. Don't think for a second that Best Buy and other retail stores don't do that. They always adjust settings to favor the most expensive TVs.
It's foolish to think the stores don't do this to ALL of the TVs. Selling >10x $1000 TVs is probably far easier than them pushing 1x $10,000 TV.

I pretty much agree with Column's post entirely. It was the same jackasses back in the day saying you couldn't tell 1080p from 720p. It's always been night and day difference to me, regardless of what size / distance I am looking at. I'd also put serious cash bets down on blind testing.

Column_sl

shitlord
The one TV i'm waiting for them to finalize the tech on, and drive down the panel prices is un curved 4k OLED.

Right now the tech is having some problems with smearing, and color bleed. Once it is perfected it will the best of all worlds. We will get true Blacks without compromising screen brightness.

If you ever seen a PS Vita or even better a Note 1-4 in action you know how beautiful those screens look. At 4k they will be outstanding, and they can reach very large sizes with a very small panel footprint.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I agree also. Just from walking in the store from far away I can tell which ones are the 4k. It becomes even more obvious the closer you get. What I would love to see though is a cable signal on the 4k compated to a 1080p since 4k content is going to be scarce for quite awhile.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The one TV i'm waiting for them to finalize the tech on, and drive down the panel prices is un curved 4k OLED.

Right now the tech is having some problems with smearing, and color bleed. Once it is perfected it will the best of all worlds. We will get true Blacks without compromising screen brightness.

If you ever seen a PS Vita or even better a Note 1-4 in action you know how beautiful those screens look. At 4k they will be outstanding, and they can reach very large sizes with a very small panel footprint.
We can just agree that curved TVs need to die in a fire quicker than the 3D TV gimmick. Completely fucking useless unless you have a monsterous 200+ inch TV!

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Anyone check out the Dell 34" Ultra Wide Display for PC? Looks pretty sweet. But expensive.

And yeah without 4k content who cares. Upscaled movies to 4k do nothing. I can definitely see the difference between 1080p and 4k depending on exactly what Jooboo has stated. At 9 feet with a 60" I am perfect at 1080p. If I upgraded it will be when 4k becomes mainstream and I will then purchase a 70" display at 4k resolution. But until content actually hits, no way. Also, broadcast is still stuck at 720p anyway.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
...Also, broadcast is still stuck at 720p anyway.
This is my biggest gripe. I love how the demo feeds on the 4k TVs often show sports in AMAZING detail! I would buy the fuck out of that if it were available today. We are fucking years away from that on the service provider side of the puzzle.

Tech is just so far ahead of our actual media capabilities right now, I just don't know why they bother. While we wait, we get stupid gimmicks like curved TVs.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I can't wait for even a 30" uncurved OLED screen to make my new computer monitor. I use the computer way more than the TV, so can easily see spending upwards of $3k for an incredible picture. It's that worth it to me.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Anyone able to recommend a good wall mountable flat screen. Looking around 40 inches and not too picky on led/ldc/4k etc. Pretty much a 40' in the $300 range. Or if there's one around a little bigger for not too much more that works too

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
They'll all be wall-mountable, that's a non-issue nowadays.

Buy your wall mount online. You can get wall mounts on Amazon or monoprice for like $15-$20. Same thing at Best Buy or Walmart will cost you $50+

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
They'll all be wall-mountable, that's a non-issue nowadays.

Buy your wall mount online. You can get wall mounts on Amazon or monoprice for like $15-$20. Same thing at Best Buy or Walmart will cost you $50+
Sounds good ty for info. I'm looking atm on best buy between like 40-50 mostly just want it because itll look cool but also for DVDs

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Anyone here own a Changhong TV? Just curious how shitty or halfway decent they are, considering they are stupid cheap

Changhong TVs - Slickdeals.net

Considering picking one up for a cheap bedroom TV

$250 for 42" 4K
$299 for 49" 1080p